Poll

Heaven & Hell or Blizzard of Ozz?

Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell
23 (69.7%)
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
10 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: POLL: Heaven & Hell or Blizzard of Ozz?  (Read 872 times)

Offline WildRanger

POLL: Heaven & Hell or Blizzard of Ozz?
« on: October 21, 2019, 02:00:41 PM »
Two heavy metal classics from the same year.
What do you prefer?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: POLL: Heaven & Hell or Blizzard of Ozz?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
Wrong question.  I'll take Heaven and Hell and Blizzard of Ozz.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 02:58:28 PM »
I'd go for both as well actually, because both albums have aspects about them that I like and that I find to be very fitting musically speaking.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 03:02:54 PM »

This.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 03:07:26 PM »
Both are fantastic, but gun to my head....

HEAVEN AND MFING HELL MOTHA LICKAS!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 04:08:38 PM »
H&H was my first inclination, and I think it's a pretty wide margin.

Blizzard
I Don't Know is just ok.
I love Crazy Train, but it's one of the few songs that I love that I truly think is overplayed.
Never a Big Fan of Goodbye to Romance
Dee is fine for what it is.
Suicide Solution was so cool when I was in high school, but it hasn't aged well.
Mr. Crowley is another track that was cool in high school.  It has aged better than Suicide.
No Bone Movies is a big dull dud.  Never really cared for it.
Revelation is the runaway star of this album.  Five out of five stars.
Steal Away is a close second to Revelation.  The entire band -- and particularly Bob Daisley -- shines on this one.

H&H
Neon Knights is one of my favorite album openers.  Punches you in the face right from the start.
Children of the Sea is the runaway winner of the best "Children of" track on a metal album.  Very cool song.
Lady Evil is a song that I probably shouldn't like (more bluesy than most stuff I like), but there's a lot of cool stuff in the song that I learned as a result of my old band covering it.
The title track is a bit overplayed, but not anything close to Crazy Train.  That riff is easily top 5 for me.
Wishing Well, Walk Away and Lonely Is the Word are all average songs for me, but they're all miles better than No Bone Movies, and each has something I like.
Die Young is one of my favorites.  The intro and middle sections are very cool, and Geezer has some very tasty bass lines..

Yeah...at the end of the day, this is the right answer, and both are part of what I consider to be the best five year period in the history of heavy music.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 04:17:46 PM »
I’ll go with Heaven & Hell but Blizzard is pretty darn good too  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 07:05:52 PM »
Heaven And Hell is just a garden gnome better than Blizzard Of Oz
Diary Of A Madman is oceans better than Mob Rules

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 07:09:09 PM »

I agree.

Mob Rules was Dio's absolute vocal peak, followed very closely by Holy Diver.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 07:26:46 PM »
Heaven and Hell is a better album to me, but Blizzard of Ozz was one of the very first metal albums that I ever bought and I'm really nostalgic for it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 12:00:46 AM »
Definitely Blizzard for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 12:03:42 AM »
H&H by a long shot, IMO both Ozzy albums are way overrated and today sound awfully dated.
While both Sabbath albums with Dio have more than stood the test of time.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 05:20:57 AM »
This is actually a great matchup.  Heaven and Hell for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 05:29:16 AM »
Blizzard for me - I fell in love with those songs moreso via the beefed up versions on RR Tribute.  This is one of my most influential childhood albums which always tilts the scales somewhat .

By the time I got into Dio he was a solo artist ................I had to work my way back from Martin era Sabbath to get to Heaven and Hell.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 11:09:55 AM »

Are you calling RJD a garden gnome?!   :lol

Didn't we have a Mob v. Diary thread a while back?

I think Mob Rules is underrated (i.e., I seem to like it a lot better than most folks).  The only song that isn't at least "really good" is Over and Over, and Falling off the Edge of the World might be the best RJD song with Sabbath.

Diary (the song) is my favorite Ozzy song ever, and SATO and Over the Mountain are great, and You Can't Kill Rock and Roll is really good.  Flying High Again always seems to be the "go to" song on this album, but I kinda feel like it's overrated (although the pre-chorus and guitar solo are great).  I've never been a big fan of Believer, and I think both Little Dolls and Tonight are no better than average.

I might like Diary (the song) better than Falling Off, but on the whole, I think Mob Rules >> Diary.

P.S.  I'm a bit surprised that this is as much of a blowout as it seems to be (currently 21-5 for H&H).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 11:47:26 AM »
Thank you for pikcing up on that.

Surely you're familiar with the incident where Dio almost lost a finger in an "argument" with a garden gnome at his house (and to make the story complete, about a year and a half ago or so, there was an auction of a bunch of Dio memorablia, and THE GARDEN GNOME WAS IN THERE.  My friend and I were going to go in together and bid up to $400 if need be, but it ultimately sold for... I think about $1,200.   

The "oceans" is a reference to "S.A.T.O.", often thought to stand for "Sailing Across The Ocean". 

Just me, personally, I rate Diary much higher.  It's one of my favorite records of all time, and a big part of my high school years.   "Tonight" isn't average; it's my favorite Ozzy song by a long shot and maybe in the top favorite songs of all time by anyone.  The only song I'm not thrilled with is Believer, though the song itself is good, I just can't stand that burp-y bass intro. 

Mob Rules is good, not great.  Turn Up The Night was done better on Heaven and Hell (Neon Knights), and side two is okay, average, with "Falling Off..." being the high point.  Sign of the Southern Cross may be the best Dio-Sabbath song, or at least is in the conversation. 

Honestly, I was trying to be objective with H&H/Blizzard.  I got Blizzard when it was first released, and wore it out I played it so much (the only duff song for me is Suicide Solution) and so FOR ME, it's the winner.  I didn't get into H&H until a couple years later, when I got into Rainbow and then Dio (Holy Diver is an ungodly record for me; almost perfect), then figured out he was in Sabbath too. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 01:46:09 PM »
Thank you for pikcing up on that.

Surely you're familiar with the incident where Dio almost lost a finger in an "argument" with a garden gnome at his house (and to make the story complete, about a year and a half ago or so, there was an auction of a bunch of Dio memorablia, and THE GARDEN GNOME WAS IN THERE.  My friend and I were going to go in together and bid up to $400 if need be, but it ultimately sold for... I think about $1,200.   

The "oceans" is a reference to "S.A.T.O.", often thought to stand for "Sailing Across The Ocean". 

Just me, personally, I rate Diary much higher.  It's one of my favorite records of all time, and a big part of my high school years.   "Tonight" isn't average; it's my favorite Ozzy song by a long shot and maybe in the top favorite songs of all time by anyone.  The only song I'm not thrilled with is Believer, though the song itself is good, I just can't stand that burp-y bass intro. 

Mob Rules is good, not great.  Turn Up The Night was done better on Heaven and Hell (Neon Knights), and side two is okay, average, with "Falling Off..." being the high point.  Sign of the Southern Cross may be the best Dio-Sabbath song, or at least is in the conversation. 

Honestly, I was trying to be objective with H&H/Blizzard.  I got Blizzard when it was first released, and wore it out I played it so much (the only duff song for me is Suicide Solution) and so FOR ME, it's the winner.  I didn't get into H&H until a couple years later, when I got into Rainbow and then Dio (Holy Diver is an ungodly record for me; almost perfect), then figured out he was in Sabbath too.

No, I wasn't aware of the garden gnome story.  I'll have to look it up.

And you and I have had previous discussions about Tonight, so I'm aware of your preference.  At the end of the day, these are all pretty great albums, so there's no wrong answer.