Author Topic: Thoughts and prayers for Sonoma County  (Read 644 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Thoughts and prayers for Sonoma County
« on: October 28, 2019, 09:07:21 AM »
News of the fires in Sonoma County, California, is devastating and gut-wrenching.  After experiencing first-hand the devastation and impact on people's lives from the Camp Fire in Paradise, California last year, this latest news literally brought me to tears, and I couldn't help but just cry and pray for these people.  Yeah, I know stuff like this happens all the time.  Sometimes, it may be difficult to connect to an event taking place far away that doesn't impact anyone you personally know.  Other times, something about it may impact you very hard, and on a deep, personal level.  This thread isn't meant to cause judgment or guilt based on anyone's reaction.  Just a note to say that my thoughts and prayers go with those people, and I will be looking for ways to help as they arise in the future.  I was very proud of my then-15-year-old son, who led a fundraising effort in our community last year, and who rolled up his sleeves and worked in the trenches to take care of the needs of lots of people that were impacted (as the rest of the family did).  Whoever out there feels moved to do something and help, I urge you to take the time to do what you can, whether it be volunteering, donating money or relief items, or whatever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Thoughts and prayers for Sonoma County
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 09:47:51 AM »
My Mom and Brother are both in Santa Rosa. They are both safe. My brother is a few miles out from the evacuation zone (He's right next to the fairgrounds where they're staging), and my mom is on the opposite side of town from the evacuation zone.  The sheer size of the evacuation is mind blowing. Occidental, Bodega Bay, Guernville, Jenner, Healdsburg, Windsor, etc. It's such a huge area that's been cleared out.

We've had them burning down here for the last few weeks, but nothing on that scale this year so far.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:51:06 AM »
I was reading about it this morning. It's heartbreaking when these kind of things happen.

I was very proud of my then-15-year-old son, who led a fundraising effort in our community last year, and who rolled up his sleeves and worked in the trenches to take care of the needs of lots of people that were impacted (as the rest of the family did).  Whoever out there feels moved to do something and help, I urge you to take the time to do what you can, whether it be volunteering, donating money or relief items, or whatever.

You are raising your son well. Teaching him the value of volunteering and helping others. From the northeast, there's no much I can do but support with money or items, which I do whenever I can.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 09:54:06 AM »
It was a scary day altogether, we had three different mandatory evacuations in the east bay alone, all within 10 miles of my house. Fortunately only a few structures went down before they were able to get them under control but any one of them could've been a repeat of the east bay hills fire. It's definetly become an annual part of living in California, really hope they can find a solution.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 10:05:54 AM »
^Yeah, I should have mentioned that it isn't JUST limited to Sonoma County.  There are LOTS of people being impacted.  Be safe, man.  I know you have lots of family scattered about, but if there is anything you need, don't hesitate to let me know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 08:32:17 AM »
I have friends who were evacuated from Windsor staying with me. Not knowing if you will come back home to find everything gone is a difficult thing to go through. It feels so surreal seeing the place where I grew up being constantly hammered with major fires. It's definitely heartbreaking and hard to idly sit by and watch it happen.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar