Author Topic: FACIAL HAIR. What is it? How? Why? Tonight, We Find Out. AKA VLAST0O0O0O!  (Read 4166 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Anal once a year or more is worth the daily discomfort of the beard.....

(My apologies...my mind skipped over all of the other responses)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

I just... uum... I don't know how to feel about this post.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I just... uum... I don't know how to feel about this post.

Butthurt?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You guys are weird.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I'm like Vemon. Infecting everyone's grammar.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
The beard butter is my new favorite thing. Wash, a little oil, finish with a little butter, you got a ridiculously soft, wonderfully scented beard.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm like Vemon. Infecting everyone's grammar.

You don't say...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Liberation from shaving may be one of the few enjoyable outcomes about this work stoppage for me, but I'm a bit baffled by this beard care products thing.

Not judging anyone, but isn't not having to care for your face the whole point of letting a beard grow?  :D

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Not judging anyone, but isn't not having to care for your face the whole point of letting a beard grow?  :D

Nope. The whole point is having your beard smell like a pine forest dipped in patchouli.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline T-ski

I haven't shaved my face since my last day of work, which was March 18th.

It has now been established that I cannot grow a manly beard. 
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

I get the joke, but I can't help myself: your beard feels better, it won't itch, it smells better, whoever you're kissing won't feel like they're macking on steel wool, and it even looks better. :) I work in a super dusty environment, though. Until I started taking actual care of my beard, it would get so itchy, and the difference has been like night and day.

At least, for me. My beard hairs are longer than the hair on the heads of most men. No EB level beard, certainly no Leland Sklar, but on its way. Goals, baby.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Fair enough. I'm very uncivilised at heart  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

I haven't shaved my face since my last day of work, which was March 18th.

It has now been established that I cannot grow a manly beard.

I shaved mine 2 weeks and a day ago, it was the first time in 5 years. It's grown by now, but it's all messy and it's not thick at all. I have a lot of hair (not in length, but in volume), and my beard is so scarce - but I'm pretty sure many men at 40 who are in my inverted position (bald with a big beard) would gladly make the chance (or maybe not, who knows). I'm more than happy to completely have all of my hair now that I'm 40, without even the slightest hint of a thinning, but it sucks a bit that my beard is so scarce. Actually the goatee area is just fine, it's on the jaws and the on the cheeks that it grows way more scarcely, and it's also white-ish - the goatee and most of my hair are still dark, sure you can spot the grey here and there but I'm most definitively a dark haired man, you just can't call me gray.

I'll let it grow out for the third week at least, then I'll consider trimming it maybe.

I'd post pics clean shaven / with a full beard two weeks apart but the growth doesn't really look clear on pictures. Or maybe I can't take selfies and I'm not bothered enough to put the effort into making a decent pic of me anyway  ;D

Feels good however to start out completely and totally shaven, and day by day feeling it grow longer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought that for a long time, but when I started taking care of it and grooming it and adding all the products, it just looks 100 times better, and more professional.  If you are serious about your beard, it's actually more work caring for it then shaving IMO.  Becuase you still need to trim it also every week. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I thought that for a long time, but when I started taking care of it and grooming it and adding all the products, it just looks 100 times better, and more professional.  If you are serious about your beard, it's actually more work caring for it then shaving IMO.  Becuase you still need to trim it also every week.

Not Katt.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I occasionally trim the very ends of mine but yeah mostly I just let it do its thing.  :lol although, honestly, even that is way more enjoyable than shaving.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I occasionally trim the very ends of mine but yeah mostly I just let it do its thing.  :lol although, honestly, even that is way more enjoyable than shaving.

That's all I mean.  Any wild whispy hairs just take them back and make it all look tidy.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I've got the full beard going. Had a short one for a few months before all this, but now I've gone full blown "fuck it". Not going to trim it until either I go back to working, or my other half starts complaining about it :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline T-ski

Anyone else brave enough to post a pic? Five weeks with no shaving....

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm hoping in a few weeks my handlebar moustache will be ready to debut.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Not an amazing photo lol

Last time I trimmed (pretty damn short) was a few days before I was laid off for the first time on March 20th.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
Never thought about the moral situations created by facial hair or the lack thereof.  Now that I think about it, I might consider a trial separation if my wife grows a beard.  It took me long enough to get used to the mustache.  (j.k.. somewhat)

Offline MirrorMask

So, just for comparison.... me with a clean face for the first time in 5 years, versus me with 16 days of completely untamed and unkept beard growth

I hope you'll agree with me that with the bard it's slightly less horrible  ;D

I was planning to refine it a bit after 2 weeks, but now I'm kinda curious to see how far it's going, since as you can see it's not exactly thick on the cheeks...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
I have been wearing a beard for about 7-9 years now.  7 without shaving.  I absolutely love it.  I think I look better and I can grow a pretty darn good one, so that helps me want to keep it.  Also, I wear it on the longer side most of the time.

On the subject of beard products, I've tried oil, balm and wax, I only kept using oil, although I do buy balm every once in a while.  I don't really care about the rest and wax too easily pulls my mustache hairs out.

I've been making my own beard oil for the past 4 years.  It saves me a ton of money.

For those of you who wonder about the utility of beard products, here is my story.  In my first few bearding years, my wife nicknamed me "Mr. Broom" because of my mustache.  I began to learn about beard oil and its benefits, and thought I'd give it a try.  After about a week after using it my wife stopped calling me Mr. Broom.  I am a believer in beard oil.

Over the last 2 years I've kept my sides shorter and my goatee long.  But since everything is locked down now, I thought I'd grow it all out again, so that's what I'm in the middle of doing.  I think I might go full on epic this time around.

I'll post a picture as soon as I get a chance.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have been wearing a beard for about 7-9 years now.  7 without shaving.  I absolutely love it.  I think I look better and I can grow a pretty darn good one, so that helps me want to keep it.  Also, I wear it on the longer side most of the time.

On the subject of beard products, I've tried oil, balm and wax, I only kept using oil, although I do buy balm every once in a while.  I don't really care about the rest and wax too easily pulls my mustache hairs out.

I've been making my own beard oil for the past 4 years.  It saves me a ton of money.

For those of you who wonder about the utility of beard products, here is my story.  In my first few bearding years, my wife nicknamed me "Mr. Broom" because of my mustache.  I began to learn about beard oil and its benefits, and thought I'd give it a try.  After about a week after using it my wife stopped calling me Mr. Broom.  I am a believer in beard oil.

Over the last 2 years I've kept my sides shorter and my goatee long.  But since everything is locked down now, I thought I'd grow it all out again, so that's what I'm in the middle of doing.  I think I might go full on epic this time around.

So....you are an actual lion then?

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty

So....you are an actual lion then?

:lol, I look like one, that's for sure.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
Alright, sorry it took me so long, here you go.

The sides are still a little bit on the short side and that's how I've worn it the past 2 years.  But I need a change and am going full epic again  :)

I want to shave my head as well, but my wife won't let me, for some reason she really likes the little hair I have left.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, that's a nice looking beard mate.  When I grow mine, I also try and keep the sides shorter.  I just don't like the 'boofiness' when the sides are too long, it looks silly IMO.  Yours has great shape and makes a long beard look tamed and looked after.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What is that wire coming out of it? Does it light up?

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty

:lol, no that's my headphones wire.  I took this picture right before I was going to go into my workshop and build something.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Only at Christmas Tim.  NL is one of those guys that leaves the lights up yearly.  :lol

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty

Only at Christmas Tim.  NL is one of those guys that leaves the lights up yearly.  :lol

:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
From Northern Lion's Christmas card last year:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Here's a twofer, one of my face masks feat. kattbeard. I know I need to clean the sides up and trim the bottom, I'm just really fucking lazy, don't @ me.  :lol