Author Topic: Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame  (Read 6761 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2019, 07:58:59 PM »
I disagree completely. If you watch his pantomime, he’s actually acting out a series of events. I think if Geddy and Neil could have been out front to see what he was pantomiming, they would’ve been a lot more in on the joke. But in spite of all the “blah blah’s” I understood everything he was saying because of the scene he was acting out. I thought it was brilliant from start to finish.
So much this. If all you're doing is paying attention to how much he's saying blah blah blah, then yeah, it's way too long. But as Ben points out in the post above, when you pay attention to his gestures and facial expressions in addition to the way he's way blah blah blah, it's quite clear he's telling a story. Best acceptance speech ever. And at least it was fitting as opposed to Wakeman's speech, which was funny, but had zero to do with setting, nevermind that it took away from Chris Squire's widow from having the opportunity to say something.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2019, 08:02:40 PM »
So what is the story, because clearly I missed it.  (Not sarcastic, I'm sincerely asking.)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2019, 08:06:56 PM »
So what is the story, because clearly I missed it.  (Not sarcastic, I'm sincerely asking.)

Exactly, what is the story, and does it matter? Apparently it's an inside joke to Rush fans.

Listen, Bruce Dickinson is going to be a dickhead when Iron Maiden eventually gets in, but at least I can and will say so.

Rush fans circling the wagons... 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2019, 08:10:39 PM »
It’s the story of Rush getting into the hall of fame, the struggles to get in, the band working really hard while the fans fought to get them in and how grateful the band is to the fans.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »
It’s the story of Rush getting into the hall of fame, the struggles to get in, the band working really hard while the fans fought to get them in and how grateful the band is to the fans.
This.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2019, 08:17:40 PM »
Sorry, I didn't have these on. It wasn't clear.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2019, 08:27:27 PM »
Let me spell it out for you since you're having such a hard time!  :loser:

Time stamps are based on the clip as found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i2ZbJnkFEY

0:12-0:20 Let me tell you a story.
0:20-0:39 We're busy traveling, recording albums, playing concerts.
0:39-0:50 Then we hear about the RRHoF.
0:50-1:09 Can we get in? NO! You can't! But we have met the requirements. You're NOT getting in!
1:09-1:11 Fine. **** you!
1:11-1:23 So we continue doing what we do and time goes by.
1:23-1:32 Until one day, the phone rings.
1:32-1:48 Hello? We've been accepted? Really! Wow! We're getting in!
1:48-1:59 I better get ready and prepare my speech.
1:59-2:14 My dear fans... Cries. Nevermind.
2:14-2:27 What's really most important are these guys (Geddy and Alex), our families and you fans. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

If you can't follow that Tim, all hope is lost for you!  :P

Offline jammindude

« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2019, 08:32:42 PM »
Watch it on mute....you can still see exactly what he's saying. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHjQZJ1RLQA

EDIT - Scotty gives PERFECT time stamps.   Watch it with his post as a guide.   The speech is actually brilliant.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »

0:50-1:09 Can we get in? NO! You can't! But we have met the requirements. You're NOT getting in!
2:14-2:27 What's really most important are these guys (Geddy and Alex), our families and you fans. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I can follow it. I just think it's dumb. :)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »

Dumber than how the RRHoF decides to induct bands, and which members? I think not.  :-*

Offline jammindude

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2019, 08:37:52 PM »
TAC doesn't have time for such nonsense. 

SQUIRREL!!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2019, 08:39:26 PM »

Dumber than how the RRHoF decides to induct bands, and which members? I think not.  :-*

Actually, there's nothing more dumb than that.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2019, 08:42:27 PM »

Actually, there's nothing more dumb than that.
Exactly. Which is why Alex's speech lampooning the whole thing was brilliant and yet still appropriate.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2019, 06:50:58 AM »
I'm actually not joking at all, not even a little bit, but it's a measure of the respect I have for Scotty and Jammindude that I'm going to go back and watch that with new eyes, because from the time I heard it until now I've been firmly in the "wow is that embarrassing, I hope I never hear THAT again" camp.   

Although I have the same feeling of slight skepticism I had when I was cuing up the Dark Side Of The Moon along with The Wizard Of Oz.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »
Honestly awaiting the results of your re-evaluation

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »
Well, ok.  I re-watched it.  And no doubt my impression has changed, as I now better understand the intent and the purpose.  More specifically, I understand that it HAD an intent and purpose.  I'm not sure I'm prepared to say it's "brilliant" or "genius" - best I can do is clever - but it gets a 10/10 for knowing your audience.  It certainly appeals to the "insider" mentality of the Rush fanbase (that's not disrespectful at all, though it might sound it).   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2019, 11:38:31 AM »

Concur.  It was a waste of time, and I picked up on absolutely none of that.  If, in fact, he was telling this story (has he ever confirmed that was his intent?), I'm guessing that it registered with less than 5% of the folks who saw it.  Wakeman's story sucked too.  This all reminds me of when folks look at blotches of paint and say things like, "it's a gripping commentary on the angst of the modern worker!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2019, 11:44:13 AM »
It's not unfair to note that one of the first comments in the string following the video lays out this story. 

And it's also not unfair to note that even the band wasn't exactly enamored of his approach.  https://ultimateclassicrock.com/geddy-lee-alex-lifeson-hof/

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2019, 12:24:42 PM »
It was a waste of time, and I picked up on absolutely none of that.  If, in fact, he was telling this story (has he ever confirmed that was his intent?), I'm guessing that it registered with less than 5% of the folks who saw it.
Did you actually try watching the video after I listed all the time stamps? It's pretty obvious - Stadler and TAC follow it now, even if TAC thinks it's stupid. And only 5% of the audience picked up on it? I'm sure not everyone did, but there was a good percentage who did. Even one of the guys in Public Enemy who was inducted the same night made a comment that his speech was pure performance art. I doubt he would've said that if he just saw some aging rockstar say blah blah blah for 3 minutes without any purpose.

And it's also not unfair to note that even the band wasn't exactly enamored of his approach.  https://ultimateclassicrock.com/geddy-lee-alex-lifeson-hof/
Only because they had no clue that he was going to do that, as Geddy mentions in the article. In fact I remember reading that Alex made that decision spur of the moment. Had Geddy and Neil been clued in to what he was doing, they would have loved it. And in fact, it's pretty safe to say that they do now, having been able to see his speech from the viewpoint of the audience.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2019, 12:31:27 PM »

Concur.  It was a waste of time, and I picked up on absolutely none of that.  If, in fact, he was telling this story (has he ever confirmed that was his intent?), I'm guessing that it registered with less than 5% of the folks who saw it.  Wakeman's story sucked too.  This all reminds me of when folks look at blotches of paint and say things like, "it's a gripping commentary on the angst of the modern worker!"

No, you get off MY lawn!!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »
If we are talking about favorite Hall of Fame moments, I still love the 2009 performance of Train Kept a Rolling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBHojMzM38E

Around 3:08, Joe Perry points to Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck to take a turn soloing. Beck walked away and Page looked confused  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2019, 01:22:11 PM »
Gotta correct myself - actually it was Rage Against the Machine's Tom Morello who said that Alex's speech was "performance art", next to Public Enemy's Chuck D who said he "understood" and that Alex "said it all right there."
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rush-public-enemy-get-emotional-backstage-at-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-ceremony-181650/

As for whether Alex actually commented on what he was trying to say in his speech, yes he did. He said "I thought it would tell the story of our history and how we got to that stage without using any words."
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rushs-alex-lifeson-on-his-blah-blah-blah-rock-hall-speech-it-seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2019, 01:33:19 PM »
If we are talking about favorite Hall of Fame moments, I still love the 2009 performance of Train Kept a Rolling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBHojMzM38E

Around 3:08, Joe Perry points to Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck to take a turn soloing. Beck walked away and Page looked confused  :lol

I love that comment:  "Am I the only one who thought that simultaneously sucked and was amazing?"

I'm familiar with the Yardbirds, Zeppelin, and the Aerosmith version, though I can only remember the lyrics to the Aerosmith version.  Compared to that, it sounds like Het was making it up as he went along. :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2019, 01:50:42 PM »
It was a waste of time, and I picked up on absolutely none of that.  If, in fact, he was telling this story (has he ever confirmed that was his intent?), I'm guessing that it registered with less than 5% of the folks who saw it.
Did you actually try watching the video after I listed all the time stamps? It's pretty obvious - Stadler and TAC follow it now, even if TAC thinks it's stupid. And only 5% of the audience picked up on it? I'm sure not everyone did, but there was a good percentage who did. Even one of the guys in Public Enemy who was inducted the same night made a comment that his speech was pure performance art. I doubt he would've said that if he just saw some aging rockstar say blah blah blah for 3 minutes without any purpose.

Yes, I watched after you listed the time stamps (in fact, that was what prompted me to watch it again, which is not something I would otherwise do).  It wasn't even remotely obvious to me, even with your explanations, and without someone telling me that was what was happening, I'd never have gotten it with a thousand viewings.  We're also here six years later, and this is the very first I've heard of this supposed pantomime.  The 5% was obviously a guess on my part.  That some rap guy made a comment about "performance art" doesn't mean he had any understanding of what was supposedly happening.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2019, 03:09:46 PM »
Well it’s not like it was some kind of in joke. I understood it exactly the way Scotty did just based on body language alone.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2019, 04:29:37 PM »
I didn't need the time stamps to understand the um..speech. I got it.

I would rather Alex just use his words. I would personally appreciate what he has to say. No need to act like a damn monkey. I didn't find it funny, and to me, it comes off as douchey.

IMHO. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2019, 07:08:37 PM »
Well it’s not like it was some kind of in joke. I understood it exactly the way Scotty did just based on body language alone.

If it's not an in-joke, why do it?   Do you honestly think the Hall was swayed by it?  Do you think the Public Enemy fans were like "ah, now I get it!  Rush!"  I'm not trying to be funny or snarky, these are sincere questions. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2019, 07:09:48 PM »
Snarkily sincere?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2019, 07:21:01 PM »
Snarkily sincere?

Yeah, okay.  Good call. :)   I was going to "blah blah blah" my question but I thought THAT would be too snarky.  :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2019, 07:35:18 PM »

If it's not an in-joke, why do it?   Do you honestly think the Hall was swayed by it?  Do you think the Public Enemy fans were like "ah, now I get it!  Rush!"  I'm not trying to be funny or snarky, these are sincere questions.

It's not an "in joke" in that you don't have to be "in the know" about Rush to understand it.   It's basic pantomime combined with satire of acceptance speeches.   Anyone who has scene a billion acceptance speeches can get it.    This kindof thing goes back to Charlie Chaplin in a way.   

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2019, 08:32:02 PM »
If it's not an in-joke, why do it?
I'd say it's because it's Alex Lifeson, that's his kind of humor, he's a very spontaneous person and he decided to do it because he couldn't remember the speech he prepared (which he's actually stated in interviews).

Do you honestly think the Hall was swayed by it?
Why would they? I doubt anything anyone says in an acceptance speech is likely to sway the organizers of an awards ceremony, especially by an aging rock star that the heads of the RRHoF fought against permitting to be inducted in the first place.

Do you think the Public Enemy fans were like "ah, now I get it!  Rush!"
Nah - I doubt Alex cared what they (or anyone else) thought. But if there's one thing that can be said: everyone remembers that speech, whether they like it or hate it. Can't say the same for most other acceptance speeches.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2019, 09:09:39 PM »

It's not an "in joke" in that you don't have to be "in the know" about Rush to understand it.   It's basic pantomime combined with satire of acceptance speeches.   Anyone who has scene a billion acceptance speeches can get it.    This kindof thing goes back to Charlie Chaplin in a way.

But it seems like you need to be "in the know" to think it's funny.  I'm a huge Rush fan, I think their camaraderie and love (that's what it is) is to be admired and celebrated, especially in this dickhead world we live in, but there's a sort of...  "inside joke" vibe that permeates that band.  "Brought to you by the letter Q".  "Pratt, Dirk and Lerxt".   I think the band generally is funny - the dishwashers and Costco roast chickens on stage are funny - but some of that stuff I'm not a fan of, so maybe that explains it. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2019, 09:24:19 PM »
I'd say it's because it's Alex Lifeson, that's his kind of humor

I really only know Rush for the music. I know very little about them as a band or as individuals. I remember watching that Time Machine video short (when they are in the old-timey diner or some place like that) and that was probably the first time I'd seen the guys not on stage performing. I thought the concept was great, and Geddy and Neil's roles were entertaining, and Alex was not funny at all. I appreciate not all humor amuses everyone.

What did Rick Wakeman do at the HoF? People keep talking about it here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2019, 07:48:11 AM »

I really only know Rush for the music. I know very little about them as a band or as individuals. I remember watching that Time Machine video short (when they are in the old-timey diner or some place like that) and that was probably the first time I'd seen the guys not on stage performing. I thought the concept was great, and Geddy and Neil's roles were entertaining, and Alex was not funny at all. I appreciate not all humor amuses everyone.

Basically did a stand-up routine, telling slightly off-color jokes for about two and a half minutes. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »

Basically did a stand-up routine, telling slightly off-color jokes for about two and a half minutes.
More like 3.5 minutes. What was sad is that his routine and Jon Anderson's rambling on took away from Chris Squire's widow and Bill Bruford from being able to say anything.

Chris, you can see Wakeman's bit here:
https://youtu.be/cfa-WR_PEws?t=412