Author Topic: Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame  (Read 6809 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »
Just found this: http://dreamtheater.net/discography/six-degrees-of-inner-turbulence/

"Influences for the album’s writing and recording include Radiohead’s OK Computer (and also a Radiohead bootleg Portnoy brought in)"

Probably mainly Disappear. Always thought it sounded like a Radiohead song.

So even our favorite band was influenced by Radiohead.

Where did it say that Rush was influenced by Radiohead?

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2019, 10:25:20 AM »
Lol.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2019, 10:27:18 AM »
His quote was about "at this moment" in music. Not the 70's.

I didn't get that, and if I missed it, my fault. 

(Though I'd point out that even that is wrong; Marillion, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard... which I don't mention to be argumentative, but to highlight that the Hall - and Radiohead themselves - have actively shown a disdain for prog, almost ignoring its existence, while simultaneously acting as if their prog-like tendencies are something new and innovative). 

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2019, 10:30:40 AM »
Just found this: http://dreamtheater.net/discography/six-degrees-of-inner-turbulence/

"Influences for the album’s writing and recording include Radiohead’s OK Computer (and also a Radiohead bootleg Portnoy brought in)"

Probably mainly Disappear. Always thought it sounded like a Radiohead song.

So even our favorite band was influenced by Radiohead.

Where did it say that Rush was influenced by Radiohead?

I did read that Ok Computer was one of Geddy Lee’s favorite albums though (so maybe he was influenced by them).

https://thequietus.com/articles/09210-rush-geddy-lee-interview-favourite-albums?page=14

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2019, 10:34:03 AM »

(Though I'd point out that even that is wrong; Marillion, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard... which I don't mention to be argumentative, but to highlight that the Hall - and Radiohead themselves - have actively shown a disdain for prog, almost ignoring its existence, while simultaneously acting as if their prog-like tendencies are something new and innovative).

I think he was talking about bands with radio airplay at the tie.  Hell, even I was surprised to see a 7 minute music video on MTV at the time. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2019, 10:38:34 AM »
My point was you don’t have to "not know better" to be into Radiohead.

Not at all what I said; I said that it seems as if the band is being disingenuous with their art.   You'd almost have to "not know better" to fall for some of the hype surrounding them and their work.   That doesn't make them bad.  As you point out, our kids are fans as well (OK Computer was, last I checked, in Mike's top 10 of all time, and for all of the criticisms you can level at Mike, "knowledge of music" isn't one of them.)

Look, I made my point:  Phil Collins not in, not even nominated, Radiohead, Green Day, RHCP, REM, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, all in either first ballot or a year from eligibility, and I think the common denominator is NOT music, but "intangible" (including politics). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2019, 10:39:44 AM »

I think he was talking about bands with radio airplay at the tie.  Hell, even I was surprised to see a 7 minute music video on MTV at the time.

Well, on that point, he's undoubtedly correct.  That was the sort of "post-grunge" era, where it seemed every band - Leppard, Metallica, Kiss, Bruce Dickinson - had to do their "grunge-like" record.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2019, 10:41:08 AM »
Hot take but I don't think Phil Collins belongs in the R&RHOF personally but neither do a lot of people who are already in so whatever... why do people still care about the R&RHOF at this point, it's a joke
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2019, 10:45:06 AM »
Hot take but I don't think Phil Collins belongs in the R&RHOF personally but neither do a lot of people who are already in so whatever... why do people still care about the R&RHOF at this point, it's a joke

It's interesting to me, and more and more, the whole "piss on them" attitude of guys like Bruce and Ozzy is giving way to "well, it does matter, at least to the fans and the community" approach of guys like Geddy Lee and others.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2019, 10:47:00 AM »

It's interesting to me, and more and more, the whole "piss on them" attitude of guys like Bruce and Ozzy is giving way to "well, it does matter, at least to the fans and the community" approach of guys like Geddy Lee and others.

Is it though? I can't recall the last time I ever met a music fan with something nice to say about the R&RHOF. I thought by and large the consensus was a big hearty eyeroll on the basis that it's "rock and roll" but misses some of the most deserving names out there while including pop and rap artists (which is admittedly a tired argument but absolutely valid regardless). The HOF doesn't mean jack tbh especially in the Internet age

Not to say you can't care :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2019, 11:54:24 AM »
Even though I do not care much about the RRHoF, visiting the museum was very interesting (specially Floyd's exhibit).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2019, 11:59:52 AM »
Even though I do not care much about the RRHoF, visiting the museum was very interesting (specially Floyd's exhibit).

I could see this being interesting

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2019, 12:17:35 PM »
I thought by and large the consensus was a big hearty eyeroll on the basis that it's "rock and roll" but misses some of the most deserving names out there while including pop and rap artists (which is admittedly a tired argument but absolutely valid regardless). The HOF doesn't mean jack tbh especially in the Internet age
That's only the "consensus" of fans that are upset that some of their favorite artists/bands haven't gotten in.

They will often attempt to use some kind of objective standard for something that is clearly subjective.

The vast majority of the general populace doesn't care one jot or tittle about this kind of thing.  Only the more, shall we say, "committed" music fans. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2019, 12:28:45 PM »
What is a "jot" or a "tittle"?  Can I say that around children?   :) :)

I happen to agree with you, by the way.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
It's not 'only' the consensus of those people. I don't care who gets into the R&RHOF, but I still think it's a joke. And if it's a joke to hardcore music fans who feel certain acts have been snubbed - and some of them are/have been huge snubs, at least in my eyes - and the rest of the general populace doesn't care one dusty fuck about it, ain't it more or less meaningless? That's kinda what I was getting at. :)

I think you can say tittle around children but only if you say 'teehee' after

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2019, 12:36:09 PM »

I think it was Geddy Lee who said that the main reason Rush even went was because they knew how much it meant to the fans, most of whom would probably concede that the Hall doesn't mean a whole lot, but you still don't want to see your favorites get snubbed when non-deserving artists and non-rock artists make it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2019, 01:23:31 PM »
Non deserving is pretty hard to argue, but non rock is much easier.  Sure some borderline bands will get some debate, but some of these bands are just flat out not rock in any way.  That to me is what makes the RnR HOF meaningless.  If it was just the music HOF, then it would hold a lot more weight.  Calling it something it isn't delegitimizes it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2019, 02:03:37 PM »
I just listened to Creep. I can't say I've never heard it in my lifetime, but nothing about it sounded familiar at all. I could not name another Radiohead song off the top of my head.

I'd never heard Creep until about a year ago -- probably as a result of a discussion here when they were on the ballot.  Nor have I ever heard any other song (that I know of).  Nor have I ever known anyone who was a fan of the band or who went to see them, etc.

Look, I made my point:  Phil Collins not in, not even nominated, Radiohead, Green Day, RHCP, REM, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, all in either first ballot or a year from eligibility, and I think the common denominator is NOT music, but "intangible" (including politics). 

My comments previously about Collins and otherwise notwithstanding, I generally agree with this.  There are a lot of artists in the RRHOF whose selections are, at best, puzzling given the many glaring omissions.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2019, 02:21:41 PM »
What is a "jot" or a "tittle"?  Can I say that around children?   :) :)
Marks while writing.  For example, the dot on an "i" or the cross mark on the "t".  Those are jots and tittles.

Use around kids?  Depends on your standards.  The words are used in the Bible (by Paul, specifically).  And I used them completely incorrectly, but only because they sound funny.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
Argument for why a band/artist should not be in the HOF: I’m not a fan and I don’t know anyone who is a fan.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2019, 02:42:09 PM »
Argument for why a band/artist should not be in the HOF: I’m not a fan and I don’t know anyone who is a fan.

Just for clarity, that in no way shape or form encapsulates my argument.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »

I know. Just some people act like the fact that they (and maybe their friends too) don’t like or have never heard/heard of a band/artist somehow makes them irrelevant/unimportant and I find that pretty damn silly.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 03:45:35 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2019, 02:48:30 PM »

Not you, no.  But some people (not just talking about people here, BTW).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2019, 06:13:12 PM »
Yeah - I'm an old bastard too - just not as old (or as much of a bastard) as Tim.  :lol

:lol
Brent this made me laugh today when I saw this at work.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2019, 06:14:10 PM »

Just for clarity, this is about me. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »
Yeah - I'm an old bastard too - just not as old (or as much of a bastard) as Tim.  :lol

:lol
Brent this made me laugh today when I saw this at work.

The truth is funny.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DTinTX

« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2019, 10:53:17 AM »
Well, we can’t have a discussion on the RRHOF without a quick nod to Alex Lifeson’s epic acceptance speech.  I always thought if Lifeson wanted to pursue a career as a standup comedian he could probably give Chappelle a run for his money!  So without further ado…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i2ZbJnkFEY

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2019, 10:59:55 AM »
Not picking on you DTinTX, but I have always found that kind of douchey.

Look, getting in either matters or it doesn't, so either show up or don't.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2019, 11:05:21 AM »
The idea was amusing, the execution overstayed its welcome by about 2 minutes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2019, 11:10:13 AM »
The idea was amusing, the execution overstayed its welcome by about 2 minutes.

Yeah, that's certainly fair.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2019, 12:15:44 PM »
I disagree completely. If you watch his pantomime, he’s actually acting out a series of events. I think if Geddy and Neil could have been out front to see what he was pantomiming, they would’ve been a lot more in on the joke. But in spite of all the “blah blah’s” I understood everything he was saying because of the scene he was acting out. I thought it was brilliant from start to finish.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2019, 03:03:36 PM »
I'm a big Alex fan, but I thought that sucked.  Wakeman's blew it out of the water.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2019, 03:04:56 PM »
The blah blah blah speech was amazing.

Nuff said.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2019, 03:14:00 PM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2019, 07:56:25 PM »
Alex's speech at the Canadian Music HOF in 1994 was far shorter....but also funny.  Always the ham. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude