Author Topic: Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame
« on: October 15, 2019, 01:41:58 PM »
Judas Priest
MC5
Motörhead
Nine Inch Nails
Soundgarden
T.Rex
Thin Lizzy
Notorious B.I.G.
Whitney Houston
Pat Benatar
Dave Matthews Band
Depeche Mode
The Dobbie Brothers
Kraftwerk
Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan
Todd Rundgren

I'm assuming that's the "Doobie Brothers", and not the side project from the elf from Harry Potter.

DMB, and Soundgarden are givens, as is Whitney Houston.  So you have fans of either Priest, Motorhead or Lizzy (if not all three) that are going to be disappointed.

I thought this was interesting:

"According to Rolling Stone (via blabbermouth.net) the Hall Of Fame has also announced the individual members of each band that will be inducted. Les Binks, K.K. Downing, Rob Halford, Ian Hill, Dave Holland, Glenn Tipton and Scott Travis are on the ballot for Judas Priest. Trent Reznor will accept the honor alone should Nine Inch Nails get in. Motörhead are represented by Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister, “Fast” Eddie Clarke and Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor, while T.Rex members Marc Bolan, Mickey Finn, Steve Currie, Bill Legend were selected and Thin Lizzy will be represented by Phil Lynott, Brian Downey, Eric Bell, Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson."

Good showing for Priest, but the rest just raises more questions.   Jeff Coffin and Rashawn Ross of the current DMB are in, but reminiscent of the Sabbath (Dio, Cozy Powell) and Kiss (Eric Carr, Bruce Kulick) inductions, one has to wonder what Phil Campbell and Mickey Dee did to piss people off as they were in the band far longer than Eddie Clarke and Phil Taylor, and Gary Moore and John Sykes have a legit claim (if Reeves Gabrels got in with The Cure, then...).

Even when they do right, they do it so half-assed. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 01:59:52 PM »
Soundgarden should never make it in before Judas Priest.

Dave Matthews should never make it in before the Doobies.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 03:17:26 PM »
Thin Lizzy should never make it in ever.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 03:24:45 PM »

I'm not saying they should, but considering some of the acts that have made it, you could make the case. Again, the Hall Of Fame, or the Hall Of Very Good. They wouldn't be the only one hit wonder in there.

But feel free to crap on them... :\
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 03:42:50 PM »

I don't disagree with you even a little bit, except there's the little problem of all the acts that are in before all four of them (starting with Laura Nyro, Green Day, Radiohead...)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 03:44:11 PM »

ftfy

DMB, and Soundgarden are givens, as is Whitney Houston. 

I sure as heck hope that it is not a given that a woman who never in her life sang a rock and roll song will get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (yeah, yeah, I know...).

Benatar and MC5 should be givens, with the Doobies, DMB and Priest probably being at the next level.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 03:48:44 PM »

I don't disagree with you even a little bit, except there's the little problem of all the acts that are in before all four of them (starting with Laura Nyro, Green Day, Radiohead...)

Radiohead is in? Wow.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 06:33:23 PM »

ftfy

If Nirvana and Pearl Jam are in, so should Soundgarden. Those other bands don't exist without Soundgarden.

DMB, and Soundgarden are givens, as is Whitney Houston. 

I sure as heck hope that it is not a given that a woman who never in her life sang a rock and roll song will get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (yeah, yeah, I know...).

Benatar and MC5 should be givens, with the Doobies, DMB and Priest probably being at the next level.

Eh, I don't know about that.  I like both those acts, but I struggle to understand how those two are in and Phil Collins, Robert Fripp and Iron Maiden are standing around watching from the outside in.  They aren't even NOMINATED.   Whitney's not rock (neither is LL Cool J or Laura Nyro) but she's at least iconic. 

"And I-e-i-e-i-e-iiiiiiiiiii, will always lo-ove you-ooooooooooooooooooo!"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 06:45:55 PM »
Nirvana shouldn't be in anyway. One hit wonder...and I like them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 06:54:22 PM »

I'm not saying they should, but considering some of the acts that have made it, you could make the case. Again, the Hall Of Fame, or the Hall Of Very Good. They wouldn't be the only one hit wonder in there.

But feel free to crap on them... :\

It's no fun crapping on them if you are going to pout instead of playing along. :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 07:06:02 PM »
But I can't play along. They are literally one of my favorite bands, but I'm also not going to sit here and say they should be in the RnR HOF.

But the RnR HOF is such a fucking joke. One hit wonders. So many get in. How many times did you hear The Boys Are Back In Town watching football on Sunday?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 07:31:10 PM »
Why should we care whose in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame anyway?  It's like the Grammys.  We don't really care about these awards and recognitions for the most part of the year and when it does come, all I see in the rock outlets is everyone bitching and crying why so and so band is not in it.  It's never really a positive aura to read.  Also, when a certain band do get nominated, certain members are not part of the induction which causes more people to cry about it anyway.  It's like Cry Me a River (just watch, in eight years, the Hall of Fame going to induct Justin Timberlake somehow and let everyone continue whining anyway).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »
Look, for better or worse I care, at least nominally.  I don't lose sleep over it, but I'm not really into the whole "they don't like my music so fuck them, who needs 'em" approach, so I enjoy talking about it. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 09:03:43 PM »
I can honestly say I have never heard of MC5 in my life.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 09:04:26 PM »
At least that asshole Jann Wenner is correcting his fuck up.  Read about what he said early on about Rush getting into the hall.

His prejudice is well documented. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 09:26:54 PM »
There's four particularly bad ones (biased ones):

Jann Wenner
Seymour Stine (look how many Sire Records acts are in there)
Jon "Mrs. Bruce Springsteen" Landau
Dave "Kiss will never get in over my dead body" Marsh (but who would vote for Springsteen's cat to get in)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 10:36:38 AM »
I voted for:

Nine Inch Nails
Pat Benatar
Todd Rundgren
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 10:47:41 AM »
If I could vote:

Judas Priest
Motörhead
Soundgarden
Whitney Houston
Kraftwerk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 10:52:14 AM »
If I could vote:

Judas Priest
Motörhead
Soundgarden
Whitney Houston
Kraftwerk
You CAN vote.  I voted.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 10:59:04 AM »
This is the biggest joke of a HOF.  It makes no sense.  Sometimes its fun to follow out of curiosity, but it's such a joke for me to take seriously and actually debate or even bother voting.  I love when Howard Stern talks about it. 

I saw Iron Maiden was a popular fan choice in some poll, but I guess that wasn't enough to get a nomination.  They are the only band I want to see get in just so Bruce can tell them to piss off at the ceremony. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »
here's at least a Percentage of the Nomination Committee who decides who gets on the ballot.

Dave Marsh is gone, and Wenner is no longer the chairman, John Sykes is (not the John Sykes from Whitesnake). But this year's ballot likely still reflected Wenner being the chairman,

As you can see by that link and the lists year-by-year, it's mostly the same people year-after-year.

THEY NEED TO KICK OFF AT LEAST 1/2 OF THAT GROUP.

Anthony DeCurtis, per what my wife mentioned to me, HATES The Monkees. That guy should be BOOTED today.

https://www.futurerocklegends.com/Nominating_Committee.php

Sandy Alouete
Holly George-Warren
Amy Linden
James Bernard
Meg Griffin
Tom Morello
Nathan Brackett
Dave Grohl
Amanda Petrusich
Cliff Burnstein
Greg Harris
Robbie Robertson
Anthony DeCurtis
Mike Kaufman
Paul Shaffer
Reginald C. Dennis
Lenny Kaye
Seymour Stein
David Dorn
Rick Krim
John Sykes
Bill Flanagan
Jon Landau
Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson
David Fricke
Alan Light
Steven Van Zandt
Elysa Gardner
Rob Light

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »
I find it funny that Tom Morello is on the committee, but RATM is not in the Hall of Fame as far as I know.  Granted, they should have become eligible starting in 2017, but still.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 11:55:13 AM »
Dave Marsh is a stain (by that, I mean his narrow-mindedness as a music critic is embarrassing).  Can't stand that guy (though I have to be fair:  I listened to a podcast with him about a year or so ago, and while I forget what it was exactly about, it was remarkably fair and reasoned). 

I could live with an honest-to-goodness difference of opinion - Priest v. Maiden, for example, or Soundgarden v. Pearl Jam v. Nirvana.   But some of the egregiousness and favoritism is just... plus, I know most here don't agree with me, but so be it, I think there's a political angle to this.   If you're one of Jann's west coast liberal buddies, you're in!  If you're not, well, sorry.  I have a sneaking suspicion some of the perceived misogyny associated with metal is a part of the constant snubs (I know, I know: G'n'R doesn't fit that, and I have no explanation for that, to be honest, except that Slash has become a sort of music industry darling). 

Ronnie Dio, man.  And Phil Collins.  There's not a reason on the PLANET that Phil Collins isn't in as a solo artist.   One of three people to sell 100 million records as a solo artist and a band member, for a while there the biggest draw on the planet, sought-out producer, played in/on prog, metal, jazz, pop, folk, rock, orchestral/soundtracks, and alternative bands...  drummed for Zeppelin, Plant, Tull, Gabriel, Sting, Clapton, Harrison, Eno, Anni-Frid, Howard Jones, Tears For Fears.  His drum sound was the sound of a generation, and influenced subsequent generations.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:13:07 PM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 12:30:13 PM »

ftfy

If Nirvana and Pearl Jam are in, so should Soundgarden. Those other bands don't exist without Soundgarden.

I won't debate the speculation, but I'm with TAC:  Nirvana shouldn't be in, and I think Pearl Jam was an iffy choice.  Can most folks name any song not on Ten?

Eh, I don't know about that.  I like both those acts [Benatar and MC5], but I struggle to understand how those two are in and Phil Collins, Robert Fripp and Iron Maiden are standing around watching from the outside in.  They aren't even NOMINATED.   Whitney's not rock (neither is LL Cool J or Laura Nyro) but she's at least iconic.

I don't get a vote, but they need to stop putting non-rock acts in.  Just because they made bad decisions in the past doesn't mean they should continue doing so (or at least have an annex or separate wing and vote on those acts separately).

And I don't like the argument that Artist X shouldn't get in because Artist Y is more deserving but isn't in yet.

Pat Benatar belongs in without question.

I could see an argument that MC5 shouldn't get in.

Collins as a solo artist is iffy, IMO, because a lot of his biggest stuff is more pop than rock (i.e., closer to the work of Madonna and Whitney Houston), but I won't be bothered if he gets in as a solo artist.

Fripp?  Except as a member of KC, no way he belongs in.

It's hard for me to evaluate Maiden without fan bias.  They unquestionably belong in a metal HOF, and I'd probably put them in if it were my choice, but I don't know.  They never had mass appeal (a la Metallica or Def Leppard (the latter of whom shouldn't be in)), and they were a second-generation band.  On the other hand, a lot of what they did was significantly influential on bands that started in the decade-plus following the 80s.  If I buy into the argument that Artist Y needs to get in before Artist X, I'd say Ozzy solo and Priest get in before Maiden (even though I personally like Maiden the best of those three).  On the other hand, since Leppard is in, it's hard to argue that Maiden shouldn't be in.

the RnR HOF is such a fucking joke.

Yup.

I saw Iron Maiden was a popular fan choice in some poll, but I guess that wasn't enough to get a nomination.  They are the only band I want to see get in just so Bruce can tell them to take a piss off at the ceremony. 

ftfy   :biggrin:

I think I maybe know 2-3 names on that nominating committee list.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 01:15:50 PM »
And I don't like the argument that Artist X shouldn't get in because Artist Y is more deserving but isn't in yet.

Well, it sounds like you're more discerning... there's nothing wrong with that.

But I kind of think you're soft-pedalling Collins a little bit.  It's not heavy metal, to be sure, but you'd be hard pressed to say he's less "rock" than some of David Gilmour's solo stuff (not in), or some of the work by the Eagles (in, of course), Gabriel (in, of course), Sting (not in), Jackson Browne (in), CSN (in), and others.  Plus his drum sound influenced a ton of other artists.  If Ringo Starr is in for HIS solo career, then they have some answering to do for Collins, Gilmour, and Sting.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »

The fuck?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 01:26:38 PM »

The fuck?!

"The fuck?!" as in, "what are those jokers and wanna-bees doing in there?" or "The fuck?!" as in, "how dare you compare my favorite band, the Rush of pop-punk, with the cheese of Laura Nyro and the noise of Radiohead"?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 01:31:51 PM »

The fuck?!

"The fuck?!" as in, "what are those jokers and wanna-bees doing in there?" or "The fuck?!" as in, "how dare you compare my favorite band, the Rush of pop-punk, with the cheese of Laura Nyro and the noise of Radiohead"?

I've always hated Green Day, and I don't get the appeal of Radiohead. I don't know who Laura Nyro is.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2019, 01:49:31 PM »
They're not going to because people in power never do anything logical, but they should change the name to "Music Hall of Fame", to shut the mouths of those who nitpick over genre.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »
pg, I can name songs from every Pearl Jam album.  Not sure where you think no one follow them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2019, 02:00:49 PM »
I don't have any problem with Pearl Jam going in.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2019, 02:16:33 PM »
Laura Nyro was a confessional singer-songwriter from the early seventies.   I'm probably showing my bias here, but she was a protege of David Geffen, dated Jackson Browne (one of "Wenner's west coast liberal buddies") and was a particular influence of Patti Smith (another grossly over-rated member of the RnRHoF, but much celebrated by the hipsters, including REM, Springsteen, and U2).

Though Paul Stanley has often said he greatly admires her (she was around NYC in the years before Kiss hit it big, when Paul and Gene were still in an early version of Wicked Lester, Rainbow.)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2019, 02:20:58 PM »
Just read that only Lemmy, Taylor and Eddie are nominated and not Mikkey and Phil despited them being in the band for 25 years...
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »
Just read that only Lemmy, Taylor and Eddie are nominated and not Mikkey and Phil despited them being in the band for 25 years...

Make that 35 years for Phil!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
You can almost tell the bands that are nominated because of the fandom of the bulk of the committee, and those that are a sop to public opinion.

Sabbath, Kiss, Motorhead:  the bare minimum; original/classic members only.

Springsteen's band gets their OWN NOD, standalone (despite never having recorded an album by themselves), the Dead get their LYRICIST in there (deserved, by the way) as well as Donna Godchaux and all five of their keyboard players (one of whom never appeared on a contemporaneous album, if I'm not mistaken), and The Cure gets their touring guitarist (Reeves Gabrels) in.