Author Topic: What did you think of Load (Metallica) when it was released?  (Read 2574 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
What did you think of Load (Metallica) when it was released?
« on: October 13, 2019, 07:53:30 PM »
This question is obviously for those who experienced its release in real time, not ones who got it years later.

The background on me as a fan is that I was never a fan of Metallica until right before this album came out.  I thought Wherever I May Roam was bad ass when the Black Album was the rave, but didn't care for much else (I was not a fan of metal really until I got into Dream Theater), but then I heard Enter Sandman playing a lot at Blues games in 1995 and 1996 and was like, "Okay, that song is pretty damn good," and then my younger brother let me listen to his copy of the Black Album and I became a fan.  I then got both Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning shortly thereafter, and it was right around the same time that Load came out. 

I have to admit that I thought Load was pretty damn great when it was first out.  The fact that I was still in my honeymoon phase as a fan was likely a big factor.  Sure, I thought a few of the songs in the back half weren't needed, but I still loved probably 2/3 of it.  And it sure did dominate my CD player for quite in a while in 1996.

Fast forward 23 years later, and I still like it quite a bit, although as someone who is not a huge Metallica fan (I like them a lot, but simply do not listen to them a lot), if I reach for Metallica, it is almost always gonna be Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets or the Black Album, but Load is still what I would call a good record, one that probably doesn't get its due from the fan base in general.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What did you think of Load (Metallica) when it was released?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 08:18:52 PM »
Kev, I've experienced every Metallica album in real time, including Kill 'Em All.

Before I talk about Load, let me back up to The Black Album.

The Black Album was a huge disappointment at the time. I did not like the new direction at all. Sonically, it was amazing, but I just wasn't a fan. There were a handful of songs I really liked, but it was just so different.

When Load came out, my two thoughts were:

1. They are continuing on with the change that started with The Black Album, and ,
2. Gee, the Black Album doesn't seem so bad now

I remember 2X4 being released before the album came out. It realty didn't do anything for me.

When I bought the album, the band photos jumped off the page. Sort of like seeing Queensryche on the RFO sleeve for the first time.
Ain't My Bitch starts off in rousing fashion. This is a great Metallica song.

The only other two songs I really liked, which weren't the usual Metallica style were Bleeding Me, and The Outlaw Torn, which I thought had a huge Sabbath influence. These are still the three standout tracks still today. The only other song that makes my Load/Reload Compilation EP is Wasting My Hate. I love the aggressiveness on this.

Until It Sleeps and Hero Of the Day have aged fairly well, but all in all, except for the songs I listed, it's pretty forgettable.
I respected what they were trying to do, because I feel it's a high quality album, even though it's not what I'm looking for from Metallica.

Ultimately, The Black Album has aged extremely well, and I love it now. Load...not so much.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 08:32:09 PM »
I was in line in Tower Records in Schaumburg at Midnight for the on-sale. Walked out with the vinyl and CD.

I have never had a problem with Load. The Outlaw Torn is one of my all-time faves from them.  Bleeding Me and Mama Said are standouts as well. Never cared for Hero of the Day.

All in all, it's a solid album for what it is.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 08:37:06 PM »
I was in line in Tower Records in Schaumburg

Is that Shaumberg Illinois?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 09:28:08 PM »
I don't remember hearing 2x4 as a pre-release tune; I am pretty sure Until It Sleeps was the first single, and I imagine the old school Metallica fans were raging hard when they heard that one.  :lol :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 10:01:55 PM »
Love it.  But I discovered Metallica around that time.  Bitch, Sleeps, Bleeding, Thorn, Outlaw all good stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 10:07:26 PM »
I don't remember hearing 2x4 as a pre-release tune; I am pretty sure Until It Sleeps was the first single, and I imagine the old school Metallica fans were raging hard when they heard that one.  :lol :lol

I heard 2x4 being mentioned also but first I remember is Until it Sleeps also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 10:21:34 PM »
I imagine the old school Metallica fans were raging hard when they heard that one.  :lol :lol
That fit me and my co-workers to a "T". I still hate that song, although I'm sure part of the reason is not only is it (IMO) a lame song, but the radio station played it. Every. Freaking. Hour.

Then add how they all cut their hair, Lars and Kirk were acting gay in those photos and the lame cover art, and they lost me as a fan. Since that time, I've never regained the interest I had in them prior to that album, altho I still enjoy everything they put out before that, including the black album (though I now loathe Nothing Else Matters in the same way that I do The Spirit Carries On).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 10:22:58 PM »

That would be correct. I was at the Midnight on-sales for both Load and Reload. I've lived in the Chicago 'burbs my whole life.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 10:25:53 PM »

I heard 2x4 being mentioned also but first I remember is Until it Sleeps also.

I remember Chicago radio playing a live version of 2x4 well before the album came out. I remember the early live version being much better than the studio version. I do like the studio version, but I have vivid memories of being disappointed when I heard it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 06:18:16 AM »
I was a teenager and I was in my formative years. Load came out in 1996, two years before I was still listening to italian and radio-friendly music before discovering foreign music with Bon Jovi, thanks to Always, and then in 1995 I discovered Iron Maiden and became a metalhead, with Metallica following quickly after.

Keep in mind that it was the time of cassettes back then, so my metal discovery was through compilations made by a classmate; I can't answer the question "what was your first Iron Maiden / Metallica album" 'cause I experienced them through the mix tapes of my classmate.

All of this to say that, with just barely a year in the world of metal music, finding out Load was a bit weird to say the least. I was neither prepared, nor I had the more comprehensive musical knowledge I have today, to fully understand what Metallica was trying to do, so the "weird" style of the album and the change of looks were a big WTF for me.

I didn't outright dislike it, Until it Sleeps was good and I loved Ain't My Bitch and The House Jack Built among other things, but I wasn't really impressed. I had to "live with it" in a sense, it was the first new Metallica album when I became a fan, so take it or leave it in a sense. But I was lukewarm to it at best.

Now I recognize it as a valid and solid album (maybe drop Twisted and Cure and make it tighter), but at the time I was just "meh" about it and kept hearing the old mix tape with Master, Creeping Death and the likes.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 06:27:47 AM »

That would be correct. I was at the Midnight on-sales for both Load and Reload. I've lived in the Chicago 'burbs my whole life.

Cool. The TACs stayed in Schaumburg in 2010. We took the kids to the Lego Discovery Zone out there. Spent a day in Chicago as well.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 06:30:25 AM »
Load was the album that got me into Metallica, so I loved it at the start. Still think it's very good.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 06:45:13 AM »
I guess Kev stated in the OP this is mostly towards people who experienced it in real time, I was only 5 at the time but when I was a teenager and got into Metallica I did so going through the albums in order of their release and so I'll just add my 5 cents. Similar to other metalheads I didn't like it and thought for the longest time that they "sold out" but as I matured and grew up, and later revisited the album it has grown on me. I would actually say it's my 4th favorite Metallica album after MoP-AJFA-RtL and I think it has some of their best songs on it - Outlaw Torn and Bleeding Me would probably both make my top10/top15 Metallica songs. :p

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 06:55:21 AM »
Yeah, I think The Outlaw Torn being a Top 15 song is fair.

Offline JLa

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 06:56:38 AM »
I can't remember if I bought in on release, but I got into metal at the time and I believe "Load" was my first Metallica album, although I had heard their older stuff from friends.

I liked it then and I still do. The raw sound on their earlier albums was a bit too much for me at the time, I was mainly into eurotrance (2 Unlimited! :lol) and radio stuff. But Load had some cool melodies on it. 

I went to see them on the "Load" tour. Can't remember much though. I was just a kid.. Should have had those tickets now instead!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 07:02:19 AM »
I loved it. 

I got into Metallica with The Black Album in 92, so this was the first time I got to experience a new Metallica album coming out.  I was in high school, my favorite band was putting out a new record.  At the time, I was very loyal to the band and they meant a lot to me.  So I defended them and this album.  I still do, though now I can see why die-hard thrash and metal fans wouldn't like it.  To me, it's has always sounded like Metallica, even though it's not thrash.  Some great songs, incredible lyrics, and great memories of being so into them and excited about a new album coming out.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 07:35:47 AM »
AJFA was the first album they released when i was already a fan. The Black Album I was a little conflicted over but enjoyed most of it at the time. When Load came out i really liked it, except for our being slightly too long. My mate at the time despised it but i didn't feel the outrage that many did. I always loved Slayer AND Bon Jovi, add it were, so wasn't tribal about the heaviness or otherwise.

Looking back now, it's my go-to Metallica and the their last good one, imo. I never listen to the black album except for Sad But True and Nothing Else Matters.

So my opinion hasn't changed, oddly
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 09:10:07 AM »

You are correct.  Until It Sleeps was the first single.  2x4 wasn't a single at all, so I have no idea where TAC is getting that from. 

As far as fan reception, you are right.  I remember it being hyped on our local Bay Area rock station that they were going to do the world debut of the new Metallica single, and a couple of friends and I eagerly gathering around the radio for it.  When it was done, both of them were pissed and going on about how bad it was.  I actually liked it.  It was soft, but still dark and sounded like Metallica to me.  But when the entire album dropped shortly after, I was pretty disappointed as a whole.  I liked a couple of songs, but felt like the entire album was a huge droppoff from where they were.  And, for what it's worth, this from a fan who LOVED the Black album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 09:41:54 AM »

You are correct.  Until It Sleeps was the first single.  2x4 wasn't a single at all, so I have no idea where TAC is getting that from. 

2x4 was played live in the summer of 1995, a year before the album's release.  I wouldn't doubt that some radio stations played bootlegged live recordings of it to "debut" a new Metallica song. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsWyR6tPTo

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 09:42:56 AM »
Ah, okay.  That makes sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 10:09:49 AM »
I was never a die-hard Metallica fan, I had all their records but they were half killer/half filler for me. I simply thought that Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth did the heavy thrash thing better. And I didn't really like Lars' drumming. The Black Album was better, the songs more concise and the drumming more to the point, although that dry drum sound did nothing for me.

Then came Load and I loved it, for the first time I could actually enjoy Lars' playing. And a lot of the guitar solos were actually listenable, sometimes even soulful. The riffs were precise and the songs not too bloated, and even the long tracks worked. In fact, Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn are my favorites. And did I mention Hetfield's vocals? Imo he has never sung better. So all in all it was and still is my favorite Metallica record. Maybe a tad too long but still the record with the least amount of skippable songs.

Sadly, for me, it was a one off, because Reload, although in the same vein, mostly blows.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 10:19:56 AM »
Ah, okay.  That makes sense.

Yeah, maybe "release" in my post made it sound more official than it was, but 2x4 was definitely out there before the album's release.

Bosk, I may not be up to date, but I am definitely up to "past" date. ;D  :P

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
Load (aka Blood-Cum) is garbage.  I bought it, brought it home, listened to it once (maybe twice) and actually returned it to the store for a refund.

The Black Album was disappointing, but they still retained some of their "Metallicaness," but Load was just...I don't know.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 10:36:10 AM »
I got into Metallica with Justice and went back and listened to their first four albums intensely during 7th grade, and while I liked the Black Album, I wasn't a huge fan.  When I saw the video for Until It Sleeps, I checked out of my Metallica fandom almost instantly.  I didn't begrudge them for experimenting, they simply went in a direction I did not like, and I didn't like other Metallica fans telling me how I should fan.  My interest in them never really recovered from that, outside of the Some Kind of Monster documentary, which, oddly enough, made me respect Lars and Jason a bit more than I had for a while.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »
It's interesting to read about how Lars and Kirk drove a lot of what was going on with that record, from the sound, to the cover art, to the band image, etc., and how it pissed James off, but he went along with it anyway.  It's easy to look at it as a dumb move, or selling out, or what have you.  But although I mostly agree with those sentiments, I also get how after Metallica had been doing heavy, angry, intense music for so many years, through so many albums and so many shows, that it didn't feel genuine at that moment in time, and that they felt the need to change things up and go a different direction.  I don't agree with it, but it makes total sense.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 11:21:45 AM »
It's interesting to read about how Lars and Kirk drove a lot of what was going on with that record, from the sound, to the cover art, to the band image, etc., and how it pissed James off, but he went along with it anyway.

I wasn't aware of that.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2019, 11:38:48 AM »
It's interesting to read about how Lars and Kirk drove a lot of what was going on with that record, from the sound, to the cover art, to the band image, etc., and how it pissed James off, but he went along with it anyway.  It's easy to look at it as a dumb move, or selling out, or what have you.  But although I mostly agree with those sentiments, I also get how after Metallica had been doing heavy, angry, intense music for so many years, through so many albums and so many shows, that it didn't feel genuine at that moment in time, and that they felt the need to change things up and go a different direction.  I don't agree with it, but it makes total sense.

The only thing I’d question is the music. James wrote almost all of that. I can’t believe he would begrudgingly write Until It Sleeps or The Outlaw Torn. Maybe Lars and Kirk had a louder voice than usual but James wrote the bulk of that music.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2019, 12:04:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsWyR6tPTo
Funny seeing James rock the mullet in that video. Yeesh.

It's interesting to read about how Lars and Kirk drove a lot of what was going on with that record, from the sound, to the cover art, to the band image, etc., and how it pissed James off, but he went along with it anyway.

I wasn't aware of that.
Read the Wikipedia article about Load - especially about the artwork.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2019, 12:07:06 PM »
Load (aka Blood-Cum) is garbage.  I bought it, brought it home, listened to it once (maybe twice) and actually returned it to the store for a refund.

The Black Album was disappointing, but they still retained some of their "Metallicaness," but Load was just...I don't know.

Regarding their "Metallicaness," we hear that a lot.  "This album doesn't sound like the band!"  Which, of course, makes no sense because if the band made it, then that is what they sounded like at that period in time.  ...And Justice for All sounded a lot different than Master of Puppets.  And then the Black Album sounded a lot different than ...And Justice for All.  And then Load sounded a lot different than the Black Album.  It's all Metallica.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »
Wrong. It's Alternica.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2019, 12:16:56 PM »

I wasn't aware of that.
Read the Wikipedia article about Load - especially about the artwork.

Done. Cool.

Offline 425

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2019, 12:19:46 PM »

The only thing I’d question is the music. James wrote almost all of that. I can’t believe he would begrudgingly write Until It Sleeps or The Outlaw Torn. Maybe Lars and Kirk had a louder voice than usual but James wrote the bulk of that music.

I'd question that too, seeing as a lot of the songs seem to be a lot more personally emotional to James than most of their previous work—in particular, Until It Sleeps, Hero of the Day, Bleeding Me, Mama Said, The Outlaw Torn (plus Fixxxer on Reload). That's actually one of the things that elevates the best material from this era into much of my favorite stuff of their whole discography.

But I was a very small child when the albums came out, so I'm not really of the demographic this thread is seeking to hear from.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:42:29 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2019, 12:23:11 PM »
Read the wiki on load. Seemed James hated the artwork and the photoshoots. But that’s it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2019, 01:12:36 PM »
When it came out, I thought it was...OK.

Which was a severe dropoff from the preceding several albums.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.