Author Topic: Sounds familiar, right?  (Read 4312 times)

Offline NoseofNicko

Sounds familiar, right?
« on: October 12, 2019, 03:05:01 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ7qXHjxj_0

Just heard that song and thought it sounded a lot like a certain DT song.

Has this ever been pointed out before? If so, I apologize for making this thread.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:12:24 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sounds familiar, right?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but it does not remind me of any DT song  ??? :huh:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 04:26:47 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but it does not remind me of any DT song  ??? :huh:

The intro of that song is similar to the intro of Endless Sacrifice (more specifically starting at 0:12).

Online DTA

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 05:59:16 PM »
Definitely Endless Sacrifice. I doubt it was intentional...it sounds like an easy arpeggio to stumble upon.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 07:02:58 PM »
Whether it was intentional or not, doesn't bother me.  I love it when DT does stuff like this.  I also loved it when the Billy Jean drum rhythm was at the end of A New Beginning, or when James did a great Peter Setera likeness in Act of Faith, or when they sounded like Tool in Home, or when they sounded like Metallica in Fall into the Light, etc.  I know this isn't an exhaustive list, but it shows that DT pull inspiration from many different great artists.  I love that about them.

In fact in might be fun to see if we can make an exhaustive list.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
The list would be very long.  Most I don't even notice anymore, except the extremely obvious ones (Blackened vocal melody in This Dying Soul, Never Enough riff being eerily similar to the one from Stockholm Syndrome).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 07:45:35 PM »
Definitely not a new discovery. I remember reading about it here or on MP.com a number of years ago.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 08:00:32 PM »
Huh I never would have noticed that.

15 seconds of that is the most MJ I've listened to in more than a decade. Should hold me over for another decade more.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 08:08:16 PM »
Should hold me over for another decade more.

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 10:31:33 PM »
Should hold me over for another decade more.

:lol

Psssh, the man’s personal life aside; Thriller is one of the greatest albums ever committed to tape.

That said, I also doubt this was intentional. Thats a fairly common sounded guitar intro. And I don’t mind that DT sprinkles some “references” here and there in their music.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 10:41:44 PM »
And I don’t mind that DT sprinkles some “references” here and there in their music.

I mind. I am glad that 1) I rarely notice them and 2) they seem to do it much less nowadays.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 02:49:03 PM »

Has this ever been pointed out before? If so, I apologize for making this thread.

This one has been pointed out many times before.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 05:36:49 PM »
The list would be very long.  Most I don't even notice anymore, except the extremely obvious ones (Blackened vocal melody in This Dying Soul, Never Enough riff being eerily similar to the one from Stockholm Syndrome).

ftfy :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 06:53:06 PM »

I've never heard of it til now
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 06:55:00 PM »
Me neither.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 08:39:44 AM »

Exactly.  Why do we need yet ANOTHER thread about this in 2019?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 09:02:03 AM »
Well I for one appreciate it. I've been on the net reading about DT for over 15 years and never heard of this til now so the thread was worth creating
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 09:03:42 AM »

Exactly.  Why do we need yet ANOTHER thread about this in 2019?  ???

Because the person who made this thread didn’t realize it had been made before maybe?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 09:06:29 AM »
Well I for one appreciate it. I've been on the net reading about DT for over 15 years and never heard of this til now so the thread was worth creating

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 09:14:58 AM »
Like I'm sorry if this sounds rude (it isn't intended to be) but not all of us have encyclopedic knowledge of this super obscure trivia, so if you already know it, cool, but this isn't like someone pointing out how Pull Me Under ends abruptly
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:20:19 AM by Kattelox »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 09:17:50 AM »
I'm amazed there hasn't been a mashup yet of both songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 09:21:42 AM »
And that's all well and good.  But that still doesn't excuse not doing something as basic as using the search button.  And I think the fact that the original poster even felt it necessary to put in an apology if this has ever been posted before says a lot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 09:27:29 AM »
And that's all well and good.  But that still doesn't excuse not doing something as basic as using the search button.  And I think the fact that the original poster even felt it necessary to put in an apology if this has ever been posted before says a lot.

Yeah how dare I do something so terrible. You should all crucify me now.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 09:28:31 AM »
And the search button doesn’t work properly.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 09:29:09 AM »
The search function on this site is straight garbage to be honest, and if we're going to chastise people for duplicate threads, hoo doggy we have a lot of catching up to do

Anyway I appreciate this thread Nicko thank you

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »
:lol  Nobody said you did something "terrible."  But if you can't own not using the search button to find something that has been posted about so much, I don't know what to tell you.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 09:30:15 AM »
:lol  Nobody said you did something "terrible."  But if you can't own not using the search button to find something that has been posted about so much, I don't know what to tell you.

I did use the search button.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2019, 09:59:00 AM »
The search function on this site is straight garbage to be honest, and if we're going to chastise people for duplicate threads, hoo doggy we have a lot of catching up to do

Anyway I appreciate this thread Nicko thank you

You’re welcome.

And by the way I don’t think DT "ripped off" that song, I’m sure they didn’t realize it sounded like that song when they came up with that part.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2019, 10:15:57 AM »
And by the way I don’t think DT "ripped off" that song, I’m sure they didn’t realize it sounded like that song when they came up with that part.

It's really hard to say.  Although I don't know for sure, I'm guessing JP came up with that riff.  Remember that the dude has an INCREDIBLE musical memory.  It has been very common for him to intentionally "bottow" from that and use riffs from other songs, with slight tweaks.  It has been equally common for him to unknowingly do so and realize after the fact that he likely had a riff buried in his subconscious that he pulled out and tweaked into a DT song.  Neither one of those options would surprise me here. 

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2019, 10:20:19 AM »
Just sounds like a fairly generic metal guitar intro to me. Yes there’s some similarity but there’s probably lots of other songs with similar intros. I highly doubt JP has ripped that off a MJ song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2019, 10:21:54 AM »

I've never read about it on DTF before, honestly.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2019, 11:01:57 AM »

I've never read about it on DTF before, honestly.
I have.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2019, 11:11:08 AM »
NoseofNicko actually posted in the first thread listed. :lol

I was checking to see if I had.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2019, 11:12:54 AM »
My bad. Didn’t know there was an advanced search option. Never noticed it until now.