Author Topic: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Final Results)  (Read 62287 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Round 9 Comparisons!)
« Reply #1260 on: December 05, 2019, 07:39:23 AM »
This is why I haven't sent much metal this roulette. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1261 on: December 05, 2019, 10:45:19 PM »
You're eliminated for not sending a song this round
I was going to send this for the foreign language pop bonus, had I been allowed to send something. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1262 on: December 05, 2019, 10:47:22 PM »
no bonus themes in the final round but go ahead and send it anyways :P
i'm not gonna listen to it right now, anyways, so if it's something i'll hate please do send it to me

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1263 on: December 05, 2019, 10:54:55 PM »
You're eliminated for not sending a song this round
I was going to send this for the foreign language pop bonus, had I been allowed to send something. :lol

You could basically do any kpop tbh, just send BTS or something
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1264 on: December 05, 2019, 10:58:19 PM »
honestly foreign language pop is such an easy theme i'm genuinely surprised bolsters never sent it

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1265 on: December 05, 2019, 11:18:13 PM »
It didn't seem all that easy to me, I couldn't think of much that applied. Had a French artist in mind but her regular albums are only middle-tier at best and French is not a beautiful-sounding language. She has some nice instrumental soundtrack stuff though, which you will likely receive from me one day.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1266 on: December 05, 2019, 11:24:17 PM »
bold of you to assume i'm going to listen to music ever again after this roulette ends.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1267 on: December 05, 2019, 11:29:54 PM »
So, does the final round start after this one? Because that would mean I need to prepare something.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1268 on: December 05, 2019, 11:35:12 PM »
i mean you could've taken the extra time to prepare something ahead of time with the extra week or so you had  :rollin

but yeah round 10 is gonna be the finals, the EP round, the Big Boy

i've got one more writeup to do and then i'm gonna post results, strap in folks

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: December 05, 2019, 11:46:34 PM »
I still think you need to give a few more days for the EPs. I probably won't be around during the weekend.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1270 on: December 06, 2019, 12:01:11 AM »
Round 9 Results:
Round 9 Playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4WyBdlrTu4zeNuhh1Ezldq

Buddyhunter1: Dethklok – Skyhunter
Theme: None

First Impressions:
Uuugh do I have to. I’ve never seen these guys as anything but a joke band created for a cartoon show and nothing I’ve heard from them has convinced me otherwise, but they were sent, so… I mean, I guess this really just sounds like Soilwork-style melodic death metal, a sound that’s always very hit or miss with me, but without any of the clean vocals that at least give Soilwork a solid pop flavor that lets their choruses hit home. These vocals just sound like what people who don’t listen to metal think all metal vocals sound like. This band just sounds like what people who don’t listen to metal think all metal sounds like, really. Like, okay, it’s not awful, it’s not even bad, it’s fine for what it is, but it also feels kind of… procedurally generated. I don’t know how else to describe it.

Final Thoughts:
I guess this is… serviceable. It’s definitely metal to fit the role of sounding like metal. I don’t think it’s worth hating or even disliking. I just don’t see… art, in it. Like, quickly looking at the lyrics, they’re pretty typical metal stuff. Probably about something, maybe not. The opening motif, it’s a solid “epic” guitar line. The main riff has that fine enough melodic death metal vibe to it. I’ve heard both of them before, in other songs. I don’t know if those songs are any more or less good than this one, but they feel more “real”.

The harsh vocals are just not good, I don’t really care, they’re mixed super low too so they kind of seemed to know they weren’t that good, but “this kind of music is supposed to have growls, so now it does”. I almost feel it was counterproductive to go that route because this feels like the kind of “epic” power-metal-with-growls that needs those clean vocals to really work. The guitars do fine carrying the melody of this song on their own, I guess, but ehh.

I don’t really find the song that heavy, or powerful, or meaningful. That’s the real issue I have with it. I’m not even necessarily against virtual bands themselves. Gorillaz are a pretty interesting virtual band, obviously, you sent them earlier. And there was that Belzebubs band that put out a solid enough melodic black metal album earlier this year that, well, kind of had the same auto-generated feel to it at times but also had some more ambitious and interesting stuff going on as well.

Even outside that context there’s just nothing about this that’s musically unique and it’s not done notably well either to make up for that. I’d rather just listen to Soilwork. And I’m not even wild about them either, but at least there’s something anthemic to their sound that I can get into at a song-by-song level. This at least passes the test of “basic competence” but that’s literally the most I can give it. The most flat 6/10. A “you tried” sticker.

Reward:

TAC: Mantra – Intro

First Impressions:
Dude how the hell do you find this obscure stuff, haha. Also, do you like this kind of stuff? This is pretty similar to the kind of stuff you didn’t care for in round 3, the heavy, angry, djent-y side of metal. I dunno, all of this just ends up sounding the same to me, there are riffs sure but they’re… not particularly unique or memorable riffs, the vocals aren’t working for me at all, there’s an attempt at a groove here I can appreciate but this is only making my headache worse. I think I’m gonna use the Headache Rating Scale for this set of first impressions, actually. Should be fun. The kind of metal I always find really samey and impenetrable, and this doesn’t sound like the exception to the rule for me.

Final Thoughts:
Okay it was probably just my mood at the time that made me as down on this one as I was, because every listen after it I’ve enjoyed it at least a decent bit. It’s not… amazing, for sure, still one of the weaker tracks of the round and I’m still baffled that you like this, but there’s at least something here. It scores higher than the song below it simply because they’re, y’know, actually trying to do something here, even if I’m not completely on board with it.

Like, the atmospheric intro is kinda cool. There’s a super awkward cut when the actual metal kicks in, sure, but it sets a mood well. There’s that melodic riff at around 1:40 or so that shows up a few times throughout the song that I think is actually a pretty killer riff, and there’s moments of this where they break away from djent-y riffing to go more towards a melodeath style. It’s kind of this weird in-between of the two in places, with groove metal-y type growls too.

The guitar solo section is probably the highlight – there’s an actually good djent groove in this bit, for one, and the solo itself isn’t amazing but it’s got some nice melodic flair to it. The riffy bit right after, too, is pretty cool. I think the song tends to lose me when it goes straight for the heavier sound. I think it might actually be the drums more than anything. They sound kind of like crap but when they’re holding a straight triplet groove they’re tolerable, but they crush the melody whenever they’re going ham with weird/nonstandard rhythms.

And then the ending bit is pretty solid too. A lot of layers of sound going on here but all the instruments impress and build up a nice atmosphere. It’s kind of like a weird jam session almost, that never resolves due to the fadeout, sure, but it’s cool while it lasts. I think there’s more of this song overall that I like than dislike, and the stuff I dislike I don’t really… hate, either, it’s just kinda meh. It’s definitely better than I first gave it credit for, even if it doesn’t really impress that much either.

Reward:

Puppies_On_Acid: Abigail Williams – Black Waves

First Impressions:
The longest song of the round, and also one I’ve definitely heard before, considering I did spin this album once like I said. One thing that stood out is how much better the sound on this was than on the album you sent me a song off of before. This definitely has a nice long buildup at the start of it before going full black metal. Hmm… I do like this sound more but I also think the drums, particularly the snare, feel mixed a little loud and crush the melodies. It at least doesn’t have that atmospheric balance that I like the most in my metal, though I’ve heard worse too. I have a minor headache right now so admittedly that’s affecting my enjoyment of this one but the mixing isn’t helping there. It does sound to me like pretty solid atmospheric black metal though and the quiet moments are less the typical post-rocky interludes, more driven by the percussion & strings in a way I think is pretty cool, we’ll see how it grows on me. A bit of a mixing problem here but the general sound of this one does appeal to me, even if I’m not currently in the right mood to enjoy it.

Final Thoughts:
I’m starting to think that sending atmospheric black metal in a roulette context like this is just something that’s never going to quite work because with this genre in particular, I want to listen to big, long albums, man. And I want to do so in a specific mood. I don’t want to be sitting here listening super actively and typing as I go, that feels like it’s completely missing the point and makes it impossible to really get, y’know, lost in the atmosphere. And I feel like that’s consistently impacted scores I’ve given black metal songs across all my roulettes.

So here’s what I’m gonna do. I’m gonna stop typing, close my eyes, and just listen to the entire song without writing, and then just sum up my thoughts at the end. Seeya in 11 minutes.

So, okay. My thoughts haven’t really changed after a listen like that, and the problem basically boils down to 1. the song is dominated by the wrong instrument for the genre and 2. the song can’t really make up its mind what it wants to be.

1. The drums dominate the entire song. No. Wrong. The drumming is fantastic, but it clashes with a lot of the rest of the instruments. There’s moments where it’s giving the guitars to breathe but other times it’s doing something that feels more technical than the music calls for, and at all times it’s mixed too loud, both in the louder parts and the quieter parts. It’s not the instrument I want to hear most here, in fact, it’s probably at the bottom of the list, behind even the bass. I enjoyed how Darkspace almost completely mixed the drums out entirely, it worked for the sound they were going for and worked at building an atmosphere. This… doesn’t ever get a chance to have atmosphere.

2. The song is just all over the place anyways. It’s a super active song, which is I guess good if you’re an impatient listener, but it means that most passages don’t get time to linger or stick with you, or build up much of an atmosphere. If you’re enjoying one mood, too bad, it’s not gonna stick around enough to build that sense of overwhelming crushing heaviness that I enjoy most in the genre. It all does sound pretty good and I still think the song as a whole is quite good, sure, but I don’t know if it’s the kind of atmospheric black metal I’m necessarily looking for.

I do like their use of strings, though. They drive melody more than any other instrument and sound pretty good in general, the mournful wailing of the strings mixes in with this kind of sound well. And the guitar tones and vocals and all, all sound good, it’s just the drums that are off, and the drums being off is probably one of the reasons the mood never stays consistent either, but. Anyways. I’ve already gone on too long about this one since I’m doing most of my typing after the fact, but the long story short is that this is good, but not great. I was already gonna relisten to the album anyways, so listening to this here hasn’t really impacted my life in any way, either, haha. Oh well. It’s still pretty solid stuff regardless.

Reward:

Nekov: Bend Sinister – Gang of Wolves

First Impressions:
I forget if I’ve been sent these guys before or no, but I definitely recognize the name even if I’m not really familiar. At first thought this was gonna be synthpop stuff but there’s a rock edge to this as well, which I’m on board with. There’s a kind of interesting disconnect between the vocals and the instrumentation where I could see the vocals fitting better over a song with half the tempo of this, but at the same time it’s not like it doesn’t work here either. The vocal performance on this is plenty fun though and the synth work, especially that solo (?) towards the middle is pretty nice too. Definitely the most immediately positive I’ve felt towards one of your songs for a few rounds now.

Final Thoughts:
I dunno, several listens later and I’m still not 100% sure how I feel about this one. I definitely like it, there’s no question about that. And it’s definitely pretty memorable. At least the “lies to me, lies to me” bits immediately got stuck in my head. And not in a bad way where I wanted to get it out of my head, it’s a fun melody and the instrumentation alongside it is pretty fun too.

The instrumentation, then, it changes up a lot. I’m not keen on that first synth tone but that kind of seems to disappear after the intro so whatever. The guitars don’t have a ton of presence but they do drive some solid power and groove. The drums are pretty much the star of the show here, they control the entire mood of the song, how fast or slow it feels, and on top of that mix things up with random fills or beat shifts out of the blue that never really feel awkward or unneeded.

Oh and the singer’s great. One of those smooth indie rock-type sounds that still has some texture and power to his voice as well, and the harmonies & group vocals throughout add another layer on top that’s just as enjoyable. I guess I wish that the actual chorus of this hit a little harder or was a bit stickier? That’s the one bit that generally doesn’t fully work for me vocally, though I think the mixing is partially to blame there.

I already commented on the synth break in my first impressions so I’m not really gonna repeat what I said there besides, yeah, it’s cool. This song is cool, and fun. I don’t think it has quite enough slick groove, quite enough power, though it definitely doesn’t lack in charisma, to match your best song in this vein, and I don’t know if it feels like it has quite enough of a climax at the end to really end satisfyingly either, but it’s a fun tune, I’m definitely gonna follow up on these guys when I get the chance.

Reward:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1271 on: December 06, 2019, 12:01:20 AM »
Evermind: Dark Empire – From Refuge to Ruin

First Impressions:
I vaguely recognize this album cover and I think they’ve been sent in roulettes before but I don’t believe I’ve ever listened to them myself? If I have I don’t remember it, anyways. My immediate impression from this is that it’s in the power/prog metal vein. Maybe just the power vein but I assume it’s going to get proggy at some point. I do think the melodies & riffs & really the general sound of this are a bit more interesting though, a nice dark sound. Ooh the bit with the vocalist on his own makes him sound kinda bad, not gonna lie. It does have some prog in it, I guess, there was a switch between 3/4 and 4/4 at some point and there’s a flute so I am immediately thinking Jethro Tull (a band I’ve barely listened to, mind you), but yeah. It goes on a bit long but it’s changing enough I’m not really bored by it either. A surprising amount of this seems to be decently compelling instrumental moments and I’m all for that.

Final Thoughts:
The other pretty straightforward prog metal track of the round and I guess I don’t really have a strong preference one way or another between the two?  They’re both pretty good prog metal tunes delivered by vocals I’m not 100%  sold on but are given good melodies to work with and are usually backed up by enough instrumental swell for me to not notice the weaknesses of their voices, barring one quiet section in the middle.

The song is a bit more prog than I initially had commented on too, the verses are done through a measure of 3/4 then a measure of 4/4 that follows a bit of a nonstandard rhythm, I’m not sure it entirely works to be honest, but it’s at least more interesting than a straight 3/4.

In general the vocal parts of this aren’t my favorites, anyways. Usually the instrumentation has to make way for the vocals, so there isn’t as much interesting riffing or instrumental work in general during those parts. The bit between the vocals and the quiet bit towards the middle is kind of simple instrumentally but works surprisingly well, and then there’s the whole long instrumental segment that starts with the flute solo of all things and I like that entire stretch of the song quite a bit too. It’s a long buildup and the instrumentation manages to remain pretty tense and straightforward until it reaches that guitar solo that’s a pretty solid one, nothing amazing but it works as a payoff to the build.

I’m ending up writing these back to back with this one second but deciding in the process that while I do like this one quite a bit I think the fact that it takes twice as long to do pretty much the same structure and style of content as the Witherscape song, without having quite as strong a core sound to it, does make me slightly prefer that one. Slightly. I think the vocals let this one down more than they do that one, in particular, and it’s not as striking a sound, but I do like the whole progression of the song front-to-back regardless.

So yeah. Maybe one of the most standard prog metal songs I’ve gotten all roulette, honestly, but I’m fine with that if it’s gonna be done well enough to still keep me engaged, prog metal is after all still the kind of music I enjoy the most even if my preferences towards such have gotten a bit niche over the years. You can be the “token interesting but not stupendously memorable prog metal song” this round.

Since this is, yes, gonna be the last normal round, for fun let’s rank all those again real quick!

Winterhorde > Look to Windward > Son of Aurelius > Aenimus > Dark Empire > Psychonaut = Karas > Ørkenkjøtt, I think sounds about right? It’s hard to compare since I don’t,  well, remember all of these immediately right now, haha. Round 7 doesn’t really have a song I can put in this category either. Anyways you get the point. This score’s kiiiinda borderline right now for me, high 3/low 4 range, but since it literally doesn’t matter for you and Aenimus was already a very low 4 to begin with, we’re gonna go low for now. Sorry, I guess. You still qualified either way.

Reward:

ariich: Witherscape – Wake of Infinity

First Impressions:
Oh man I’ve tried listening to Witherscape before (I think this album actually) and I remember just not at all liking the vocals. And yeah I guess I can kind of see that? At least the clean vocals, I’m not particularly into, the harsh vocals seem fine. The music in general seems fine too, there’s a bit of flavor that I think is just going over my head right now due to the combined Headache Of Notable Impact and it just being pretty late at night, almost midnight now, but it’s dark and it’s melodic and it’s satisfyingly heavy too. Another one where I don’t feel like I’m quite in the right mood for it and there’s something about it that I’m not that keen on but still seems overall pretty solid.

Final Thoughts:
This one’s in a weird place because, on one hand, I feel like it got overshadowed by another similar song this round, but on the other hand, I’ve enjoyed the heck out of it on every listen I’ve given it, which always surprises me for some reason. In fact, I ended up liking it more than the song that was initially overshadowing it. I dunno. I guess I just had this band catalogued as “not for me” but it turns out they probably actually are? I’m definitely interested in going back to check ‘em out again after this, anyways.

This is prog metal and kind of with a melodic death metal edge to it, too, but it sticks pretty firmly in darker territory than the standard for either of those genres, and does so with a lot of weirdly fitting synth work all the while. Like, this feels like a pretty typical prog-metal synth tone so I’m surprised that it works as well as it does here, it doesn’t feel like it should.

The chorus is one moment of the song that sticks out as not as dark, a bit uplifting even, but it’s actually a pretty good move to give some sense of resolution and reprieve from the rest of the song’s tone, and it’s a pretty good chorus on its own anyways. And the vocals… I think in the quiet bits of the song I’m not super into them, but otherwise they work surprisingly well for me when I generally don’t tend to like this sound.

There’s also an interesting choice to have a weirdly groovy solo in the thick of it all, and on one hand it kiiiind of feels out of place but on the other hand, it’s a solid solo and solo section in general and doesn’t really mess with the flow of the song either, it actually builds up nicely into the last chorus. I think my favorite moments of this are the parts where the guitars and synths are playing similar melodies in unison, with the hard-hitting, jagged chords under them. Something about that sound really works for me.

But like, overall, yeah, this is cool stuff. No clue why I dismissed it before. It’s prog but it’s not overly prog, it’s got a nice dark sound to it and pretty good hooks & melodies to back it up, a fairly diverse song overall given its sub-5 minute runtime, especially compared to the Dark Empire song, and I just like listening to it.

Reward:

Train of Naught: Blueneck – Epiphany

First Impressions:
No clue what this is but you seemed particularly excited about it so lay it on me. So far it’s… quiet, dark, tense. I’m, at the very least, interested in what it’s building to. Or if it isn’t building to anything I dunno that might be fine but it could also get stale. It doesn’t quite… build to its climax as much as just explode into it but that’s fine too. The Comforting Sounds song structure. Dunno, I think I’m pretty well in the mood for this late at night. I like the general sound of this and the one thing I was worried it would do didn’t happen so my thoughts are generally pretty positive. Some nice atmospheric stuff and it’s overall pretty satisfying even if it doesn’t strike me as particularly special.

Final Thoughts:
I’m gonna invoke the Abigail Williams rule on this one too. I’m gonna make that a thing. The normal way I do write-ups just doesn’t feel right for a song like this.

To be fair there just straight up isn’t a lot to say about this one anyways. The first half. The overall sound is really good. The instruments and vocals have a lot of reverb on them but that only adds to the atmospheric, very cold sound that half of the song is trying to convey. There’s a lot of tension without build, but it keeps you on edge knowing full well that at some point the song’s going to explode into a wall of sound, but never knowing quite when. Knowing it’s coming doesn’t really change that, in fact knowing it’s coming only really makes that effect stronger. But it all sounds great and for as simple as it is it keeps me invested.

And the loud half, honestly this is heavier and darker than anything on the Abigail Williams song in question. Honestly it kind of makes me think of The Angelic Process, just with a bit less of a blown out mix and the piano still there to provide the basic melody. It’s the emotion of Loud refined. The fact that it does kind of lack in melody does mean it doesn’t hit as hard as other instances of this kind of climax that I can think of, but it’s still damn effective for what it is even in its simplicity.

And really at its core this song is very simple. It’s quiet for a while, then it gets loud, and ends quietly. The end. But man, it’s just the good kind of atmospheric sound, the kind where I can very easily just turn off my brain and let it wash over me. Pretty much exactly what I’m looking for here, and with a solid, though not especially strong (in comparison to, uhh, the round winner) emotional core to it to keep me invested. Probably your best entry to date and it would be a round winner in several other rounds, but, well, you gotta bit unlucky here.

Reward:

Dacul: Glen Hansard – Don't Settle

First Impressions:
Oh hey, it’s mah boi Glen. I’m strapping in for the feels train. He sounds… way older on this one than he did on Bird of Sorrow, and I don’t know if I’m as into that (I just generally don’t seem to be into older sounding singers, oops). The instrumentation on this one has as much swell as I was expecting though, absolutely. DAMN that climax is haunting as hell. Jeez. Okay. Round winner. Calling it now. I got distracted while listening to this one and I still loved it by the end. What a climax.

Final Thoughts:
Is this even fair? Can this be called cheating? Well, no, because I specifically put Hansard on the partially banned list, since that’s all I ever listened to from him. But I mean. This is friggin’ Bird of Sorrow again, basically. Same structure – piano driven quiet first half, huge rock climax with shouty, loud vocals. Lotta emotional power. A hell of a lotta.

The key differences are that, yeah, Hansard sounds a lot louder here than he did on that track. They’re only 7 years apart but it sure sounds like his voice has changed a lot in that time. I do prefer his smoother voice on Bird of Sorrow, to be sure, but I don’t dislike his voice here. It’s not on the same level of instantaneous repulsion I feel towards Nick Cave’s voice.

What this song does better is… well, a lot. I don’t know if necessarily everything? The piano lines are more interesting and nuanced here, and I like that about them, but at the same time, the simplicity and atmosphere of Bird of Sorrow worked wonders for that first half.

But this song… it’s not really as smoothly divided. This song starts quiet and ends loud, sure, but… the song’s just building and building the entire time. The piano bit itself gets heavier first, then the drums come in as the song goes on, with the rest of the rock instrumentation filling out the backdrop, strings and horns and possibly a full orchestra, I dunno, coming in as it builds.

There’s also this little tease where the song sounds like it’s reached its peak and then backs off, only to slam you back in the face with the REAL climax, which is just. Uhh. Chill-inducing? LEST YOU FORGET, BABY. Like jesus christ. Best single moment of any song in the roulette. One of the best single passages of music I’ve heard ever, maybe. Every single element is just straight-up perfect. The buildup of the core instruments, the huge, overwhelming swells of the orchestra, Hansard’s honestly other-worldly delivery. Yeah no surprises about the score on this one, y’all.

So the better question to ask, then. How does this compare to Bird of Sorrow? Is it better or worse? I dunno, it’s hard to tell. I went back to listen to Bird of Sorrow again right before doing this writeup, and… they’re both very, very good but in different ways. On the surface they do seem similar but Bird of Sorrow is, well, a very sorrowful song on the whole, and quieter at that. Whereas this is a very angry and tense song. There’s no real air of comfort to it, just darkness and power and intensity. They’re trying to evoke different moods. I guess… I like the quieter parts of Bird of Sorrow more than the quiet/middling parts of this, but this has the better climax by a small margin. I think I’d need time to really answer that question, but it’s irrelevant here anyways, obviously.

Not better than glass beach, btw. Or maybe it’ll also grow on me like that one did. Dude, you sent the two best songs of the roulette by no small margin, be proud of that regardless of what happens in the finals.

Reward:
Round Winner Bonus:

Current Standings:
Bolsters: 32; +2 in the final round
Elite: 31; +2 in the final round
Dacul: 32
Evermind: 30
Puppies_On_Acid: 30
ariich: 30
------------------------------
Nekov: 27
TAC: 26
Buddyhunter1: 26
Train of Naught: 25

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Roulette v6 (join you infidels)
« Reply #1272 on: December 06, 2019, 12:04:41 AM »
EP Round:
Up to 5 songs by at least 3 different artists, with a minimum length of 25 minutes and a maximum length of 45 minutes. Interlude tracks are allowed provided that they do not exceed 3 minutes in length, but they will not be scored or counted as one of the 3 required artists.
EP Guidelines

Just some things to keep in mind that make a good EP:

1.   Flow – abrupt cuts or awkward transitions between songs takes me out of the experience and makes your EP sound less like a curated work and more like just a random Spotify playlist.
2.   Cohesiveness – I don’t think putting Sigur Ros and Deathspell Omega on the same EP is going to work very well, is all I’m saying. It’s possible to go too far with this, however, thus…
3.   Variety – The more each individual song stands out from the rest, the more interesting each song is, the more likely the EP is to do well. Again, it has to be kept cohesive enough to still work but having three songs doing the same thing is probably going to be at the expense of at least one of those songs losing my interest.
The earlier you reach 30 strawberries, the better, as two bonus strawberries for the final round are awarded based on how many rounds early that 30 strawberries are reached. For example, if one reaches 30 strawberries one round before the finals, two will be awarded towards the final round. If one reaches 30 strawberries two rounds before the finals, four will be awarded towards the final round. If one reaches 30 strawberries right before the finals, no bonus strawberries will be awarded.

If 10 rounds pass and the 5 slots have not been filled, the highest-scoring remaining players below 30 will be pulled into the finals. 2 additional strawberries will be awarded to all qualifying players based on half (rounded down) the # of strawberries below 30 that the lowest scoring player in the final has. (For example, 23 strawberries would award qualifying players 3 bonus strawberries, 26 would award 2, etc.) Note that any player who does not qualify will not receive these bonus strawberries, regardless of how close they are to 30.

Scores will be reset (aside from the aforementioned bonus strawberries) before the final round, in which up to 30 strawberries can be earned – 5 for each song sent, and 5 extra strawberries for the overall EP score. Do note that this means that you are free to send EPs with less than 5 songs, but you will automatically lose 5 strawberries per song not sent. If you feel you have four 5/5 songs and a 5/5 flow, with no room to add another song, feel free to give it a shot at your own risk.

In the result of a tie after the EP round, the tiebreaker will be the highest-ranking song across all tied EPs.
everything related to the EP round, in one convenient post

and here's a bump of the EP round masterpost.
I'm going to say that EPs should be in by, at the VERY latest, 12/12 6 PM PST. I'll start penalizing after that. You get a week, if you need it. Also, I need it. I'm working on a video and I need to finish it by the 15th so I wanna use the extra time for that instead.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Round 9 Results!)
« Reply #1273 on: December 06, 2019, 12:14:06 AM »
Scraped through again! :metal

Glad you liked it, I definitely recommend checking out probably that Witherscape album, although their first is very solid too and I'm not sure which you might prefer more.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1274 on: December 06, 2019, 12:33:07 AM »
Scraped through again! :metal

You and me both :2metal:

Scraped by with middle of the road stuff all roulette. Time to lay the hammer down (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: December 06, 2019, 12:33:19 AM »
I find it fascinating how my tastes are fairly different from Cyril, yet I usually tend to do alright in his roulettes, this is third time I'm doing pretty well

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1276 on: December 06, 2019, 12:37:23 AM »
I find it fascinating how my tastes are fairly different from Cyril, yet I usually tend to do alright in his roulettes, this is third time I'm doing pretty well
Hey I won your roulette, so stranger things can happen! :corn :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1277 on: December 06, 2019, 12:38:56 AM »
Nice!! Knew you’d like that
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1278 on: December 06, 2019, 12:39:52 AM »
bolsters won one of my roulettes despite me always bombing hard in his roulettes, so
and i bombed hard in seneca's too
on the flipside i usually do pretty well in Train and Buddy's roulettes yet they struggle a lot in mine

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1279 on: December 06, 2019, 12:42:16 AM »
i mean you could've taken the extra time to prepare something ahead of time with the extra week or so you had  :rollin

but yeah round 10 is gonna be the finals, the EP round, the Big Boy

i've got one more writeup to do and then i'm gonna post results, strap in folks

Don't worry, I have a list of stuff that's gonna be on there! But I had a busy week, so I haven't made the final product yet.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1280 on: December 06, 2019, 12:45:27 AM »
fair enough. again, i'm giving y'all a week, and i'm gonna be on vacation during probably most of the round too (i'll still listen & should have results up before the end of the year, but, y'know, i'm not gonna go super hard and stress myself out over it either)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1281 on: December 06, 2019, 12:48:34 AM »
EP sent. Congrats [insert username of other participant].

bolsters won one of my roulettes despite me always bombing hard in his roulettes, so
If it makes you feel any better: I'll never do a "best of roulette songs" list like jingle just did, but if I were going to, Anti-Life Savior is potentially a top 10 song. There's a handful of other good songs you've sent as well, it's just that when you send something I don't like, I really do not like it. :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: December 06, 2019, 04:57:01 AM »
Well, overall I did as good as I expected to :lol. I knew not listening to lots of metal would cripple me but I enjoyed the challenge anyways. I hope you check some of the bands I sent during the roulette as I feel you should probably like them more, but maybe I just didn't send the right song.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1283 on: December 06, 2019, 07:39:28 AM »
Wooo, I've finally won a round :lol . Glad you liked it, it's a really nice and elaborate album, one of my favorites of the year. And I don't know if his voice changed that much, I think he's just singing in a lower register most of the time.

OK now seems I'll have to make an EP, crap. I'll be a little busy today so I'll prob take some time to make it.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1284 on: December 06, 2019, 07:54:22 AM »
Womp womp.

Well, it's been fun! I knew going into this it would be an uphill battle, and I at least sent you a few songs you really enjoyed, so I'm satisfied.

You'll still be getting a posthumous EP from me. Will send that over within the next couple days.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1285 on: December 07, 2019, 05:02:53 PM »
Totally forgot I should be working on an EP..... WHOOPSIE!

Working on it now.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1286 on: December 07, 2019, 05:16:08 PM »
Hey, is Absu banned? :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1287 on: December 07, 2019, 05:26:58 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1288 on: December 07, 2019, 05:30:59 PM »
Hey, is TAC banned? :neverusethis:

Apparently.  ;D
Don't worry, I won't ban you from my next roulette. Which I'm planning on running sometime in the next month....maybe..... It will most likely be a semi-mini-ep/concept album roulette...maybe
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1289 on: December 07, 2019, 05:40:03 PM »
Absu is, in fact, the most banned artist

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1290 on: December 07, 2019, 05:48:43 PM »
My EP is taking a very unexpected direction musically...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1291 on: December 07, 2019, 06:08:55 PM »
that's a bad sign  :corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1292 on: December 07, 2019, 06:20:04 PM »
that's a bad sign  :corn
I originally planned on doing a full on atmospheric black metal/ambient ep, now there is no metal at all...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1293 on: December 07, 2019, 06:28:42 PM »
please send me that first EP anyways, it sounds great

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1294 on: December 07, 2019, 06:35:42 PM »
please send me that first EP anyways, it sounds great
I actually have 3 EP's I plan on sending.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid