Author Topic: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Final Results)  (Read 62286 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Round 5 Hangpressions!)
« Reply #770 on: November 10, 2019, 04:39:31 PM »
Or Soulsplitter
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #771 on: November 10, 2019, 04:47:27 PM »
Soulsglitter?   :lol I don't know
Soulsplitter? Seems more like the name of a band someone might send Cyril.

EDIT: never mind, ninjad

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Round 4 Results!)
« Reply #772 on: November 10, 2019, 04:51:01 PM »
Hangman!

Evermind: Arch/Matheos - Pitch Black Prism
Puppies: Son Of Aurelius - Chorus Of The Earth
Nekov: Mutemath - Stratosphere
???: Nechochwen- The Serpent Tradition
ariich: Euphoreon - Zero Below the Sun
???: MS MR - Criminals
???: Celldweller - Down to Earth
???: Soulsplitter - The Moloch
???: Sleep Token - Jaws
Dacul: Jambinai - Sun. Tears. Red

finish the fight
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 05:42:11 PM by Cyril »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #773 on: November 10, 2019, 05:36:37 PM »
Nechochwen-Trainy
Son Of Aurelius-Pup
MS MR-Sacul
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #774 on: November 10, 2019, 05:42:33 PM »
You're one for three. It's already revealed what Dacul sent, too  :P

halfway through writeups now. I'd say "I finished the bad half so only the good half is left" but i don't even know if that's true, pretty much everything in the middle is really dang close tbh

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #775 on: November 10, 2019, 06:19:02 PM »
You're one for three. It's already revealed what Dacul sent, too  :P

So he's not one of the three apparently.. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #776 on: November 10, 2019, 08:30:27 PM »
Round 5 Results
Round 5 Playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6NVBb3VEpMkwcYeXHyH4zZ

Buddyhunter: Celldweller – Down To Earth
Theme: None

First Impressions:
I already kind of mentally have Celldweller locked away as “the kind of electronic I don’t like” and I’m not 100% sure where I got that impression from initially, but it has me worried about this one. Though this seems to be more industrial metal than pure electronic? It’s got that buzzing kind of synth sound to it that I’m never too wild about though. The riffs are almost borderline djenty, too, though not pointlessly jagged and grooveless, there is definitely a heavy groove that works fine enough here. From the quiet section onward the song improves a lot, too, with like a breakcore outro? Okay. There’s some solid groove to this but it’s a sound I kind of struggle to really get into; the second half is better than the first half, though.

Final Thoughts:
I think this is one of the rare instances where a song actively got less pleasant to listen to the more listens I gave it. And I don’t think that’s really necessarily because of the sound… I still don’t really like the overall sound of the first half of this, though some of  the second half is pretty alright. Not amazing, but I can get into it.

Especially since the majority of the lyrics come in the first half, and… yeah, not gonna beat around the bush, this kind of sentiment in a song really never works for me. It’s like a diss track without any context or details, so the singer just instead comes off as really edgy and angsty and mad at “someone” and that someone could be basically anyone, who really cares.  And it’s ironically really self-important to go and make an entire song like this about how someone else has a huge ego.

And paired up with this kind of sound… that really only makes it worse to me. I can’t explain why the music in particular makes the lyrics worse for me, but the combination of the two just gives off this really gross vibe to it. It’s like nu-metal with dubstep synths thrown on for good measure. The most positive I can say about it is that it, indeed, does have a groove. I’m too turned off by how repulsive I find the overall sound & lyrics to really get into it.

The back half has some clean, atmospheric stuff that on its own is fine. It doesn’t really feel like it fits in with the tone or sound of the song but I don’t mind having it. The lyrics also basically stop the moment the music gets more interesting, or are just repeating variations of earlier phrases in the song, so basically all of the worst of the song is gone by like the 4 minute mark. There’s faster and more interesting grooves when the song does pick back up again and the electronic elements turn to the aforementioned breakcore-esque sounds, which complement the energy well.

But, man. Three minutes that I’d maybe give a 1-2 to on their own, paired up with four minutes I just flat don’t enjoy anything about… I don’t think the good, or really just the decent, in this song can outweigh the bad for me in this one. Maybe if the gross parts were shorter or the lyrics were different or if the synths were gone, maybe it’d make this tolerable for me, but I really, really grew to dislike this song on repeated listens.

Reward:

ariich: Euphoreon – Zero Below the Sun

First Impressions:
Hah, TAC gets two songs in this round, I remember him sending you this album and you digging it a lot. I listened to it as well but wasn’t that into the sound, though. Again, we’ll see if a song in isolation changes that. I uhh. Am kinda lacking for much to say about this one, honestly. It’s a solid melodic death metal sound, it goes a bit harder than a lot of stuff in the genre that I’ve heard but most of the melodies and riffs are still pretty standard for this sound. I hope relistens are kind to this one? This is, probably, really good for its genre and simultaneously emphasizes why this genre almost never works that well for me.

Final Thoughts:
It feels kind of weird to have a song this “fine” this close to the bottom of the rankings, honestly. This is why I’m not doing a stack-ranked roulette! And probably never will! According to at least two people in this roulette, this is really good melodic death metal. Probably true. For me I’ve just failed to form any strong impression of this one.

Okay, the most immediately striking issue: The mixing isn’t great. The drums feel too loud most of the time, and the vocals are pretty much always cutting through the mix too, so the guitars end up a bit muddy and buried. There’s definitely melody here, to be fair, even with the weird mixing. The guitar riffs are all pretty standard fare though. I feel like a large majority of rhythms in the song are 3-3-2 rhythms, both in the riffs and guitar leads, which is a bit standard and kind of uninteresting. Not unpleasant to listen to but none of it really catches my ear.

As far as the vocals, they’re… okay. They seem to be pretty bog-standard growls. I don’t really get much of a sense of intensity or dynamic off of them. They’re always at the same volume and tone. They fit the overall sound but I don’t really feel like they add to it. There’s occasional quieter or cleaner moments too. Symphonic elements that get lost in the mix at any louder moment. Even in the quieter moments I can’t hear any bass in this song. Is there a bassist in this band?

I think what really makes this uninteresting for me is how generally lacking in dynamics it is. I’d estimate around 85% of the song is the same loud section with different riffs or melodies, different speeds of drumming, but it all kind of just blends in together to form this shapeless, hookless mush of metal. I also don’t really have much negative to say about it either. I can generally vibe this this sound. I don’t feel anything listening to it, but I’m not necessarily bored by it or find it in any way unpleasant.

I think mostly I just… don’t get it? I’ve never gotten this specific style of music though. Death metal, I mean, I always need some kind of progressive structure or dynamic sound to really get into it, or at least some pop sensibility to provide melodic hooks or epic climaxes. This just flat doesn’t have a single one of those things. It’s just… ehh.

Reward:

Evermind: Arch / Matheos – Pitch Black Prism
Theme: 2019 post-metal

First Impressions:
The only Fates Warning I’ve ever heard was Ray Alder-era, who has more of an 80’s metal sound to his voice whereas this guy sounds pretty much just like any other power metal vocalist to me. I don’t know why you think I’d hate that sound, I’m mostly just indifferent to it & it can work well given decent melodies. Anyways this is solidly heavy yes. And naturally the guitar work is pretty solid, or at least the leads are. The riffs feel a bit more standard power-prog though they’re not bad or anything. Also yeah you aren’t getting the theme bonus but you know that. I don’t have any particularly strong opinion about this first listen but I also see it as unlikely to do particularly bad.

Final Thoughts:
You said you sent this song because it was the heaviest on the album, but that it was one of the songs that took you the longest to get into as well, and I’m wondering if you’d have been better off sending a less heavy, more nuanced song? At the very least I can’t help but be curious what your favorite song or songs of this album are.

I think this song just comes off as… a bit standard to me, mostly. I get that this is basically “a new Fates Warning album, but under a different name” and yeah, it does kinda sound like that.  Granted I’m not super familiar with Fates Warning, I haven’t even heard any of their albums this decade, but this is about what I’d imagine an 80’s prog metal act sounding like nowadays. And maybe that’s the issue – there’s just not much about this song I find particularly surprising?

If I were to comment on the vocals. They’re fine, generally speaking. I feel like this song doesn’t showcase any singing style other than “belting full throttle” and I’d be surprised if a singer like Arch didn’t have more dynamic delivery in his arsenal, but if he does it isn’t shining through here, and I again return to my earlier comment of wondering if a less heavy song would’ve done better, if only on that aspect alone. Like, he has a powerful voice but even during the quieter parts of this one he’s like, really giving it his all. It’s oversinging that makes the entire performance come off a little flat.

I feel like I have to focus on the vocals a lot here because they’re clearly a large part of this song (considering there are two main writers behind this entire band) and because the rest doesn’t give me a ton to talk about. The guitar leads are all pretty solid, the rest… it’s fine, it’s functional for the sound they’re going for, but the riffs aren’t particularly inspired, the drumming is pretty solid and carries some weight, the bass… sounds like it’s mostly doubling the guitars whenever I can hear it. There’s enough touches of progressive elements here that it’s not boring, and at seven minutes I don’t think it overstays its welcome either, so.

I think you’re probably going to be disappointed more that I just don’t have any strong reaction, positive or negative, to this one. It feels like a “safe” entry in most roulettes, just that it’s not quite in line with how I tend to like my prog metal. Maybe it’s the vocal focus over the instrumental focus in particular that doesn’t work for me. I do think the vocals are the biggest sticking point but not by a lot. I can’t say there isn’t at least some level of inherent appeal to the overall sound but I can’t say it’s a very strong appeal either.

Reward:

Elite: Nechochwen – The Serpent Tradition

First Impressions:
This is gonna be some kind of folky metal isn’t it.  Oh yeah, that’s black metal alright. The drum sound is a bit weirdly muted but when the guitar walls come in it’s not super noticeable. For folky black metal a lot of the time I feel it ends up going too far down the “sounding epic but losing the intensity” route but this seems to be doing a good job keeping the metal the focus and doing it pretty solidly. Probably needs more listens for me to really take it in though but I’m enjoying what I’m hearing. It does this style more in the way that I generally prefer it, though I do think it struggles to find a unique sound all the same.

Final Thoughts:
Usually this happens with songs that get put into rotation a bit later, even if I did give this the same amount of spins as the rest, but while I’ve enjoyed this one so far I do kind of feel it doesn’t stand out that well all the same? I don’t know why since it does have a good sound and I do think it has at least enough flavor to it to not sound that generic in terms of black metal sounds.

I think a few of the melodies I do find at least pretty memorable… the bit that starts off the second acoustic passage is a bit of an earworm that feels weirdly playful compared to most of the rest of the song. And the first heavy guitar line kinda sticks out too. I dunno, it isn’t a super colorful song all the same, I think I’m struggling most with just not finding a ton of this that powerful or that memorable.

There’s a tempo shift in the middle and the song does bounce between soft and heavy a bit too. I think it maybe jumps around too much, actually? Like, I don’t really notice many recurring motifs at any point throughout this song, even when it goes to a “similar” sound it doesn’t seem like quite the same riff, or quite the same melody. Legit, I think the only thing that gets repeated is one pretty killer heavy riff that shows up in two different sections of the song.

I don’t even know if the lack of repeated moments is necessarily the issue since Look to Windward and Winterhorde both were basically the same… but in those songs I feel like the individual moments stood out more, whereas there’s no real showstopping moment in this song, just different variations on similar sounds.

It’s a bit frustrating for me because I do think this song has a good sound to it, but the songwriting seems to be what’s letting it down for me, making it so that I can never really get a grip on how the song sounds or how it wants me to feel. It’s kind of telling that basically everything I remember about this one occurs within the first two and a half minutes and the rest is kind of a blur, I suspect my attention span for this one wanes the longer it goes on despite starting off pretty strong. I still find it enjoyable to listen to, moreso than a number of songs this round, but it’s probably the song here I most wish I liked more than I do.

Reward:

Nekov: Mutemath – Stratosphere

First Impressions:
My initial impressions: Not wild about that synth tone but this has a damn good groove. The vocalist is solid too, he fits the vibe this song is going for pretty well. I think the synth tone bugs me because it feels a bit too… rigid? For how smooth and atmospheric a lot of the other elements are trying to be. It’s definitely up the alley of the kind of synthpop I’m more into overall though, a lush sound complimented by a solid groove, though it feels like it’s lacking in terms of melodic hook. Maybe that’ll change on relistens. It’s a nice little song that slots into the kind of sound I like in this genre, even if I’m not too sure it’s going to be a favorite or have a ton of repeat value.

Final Thoughts:
Hmm, I’m confused why I have this one as high up on my list as I do (#4 after listen 4), actually, because considering this is a synthpop song I’ve found it surprisingly unmemorable and hookless. Let’s relisten and find out why I held it so highly.

Well, I guess one thing is that the chorus is pretty solid. There’s a lush layer of atmosphere to the production that I dig. It kind of doesn’t last very long though and the vocal melody itself doesn’t have much of a hook either. Hmm. The groove is pretty solid, too. There’s a different groove running throughout the chorus versus the… uh… verses, but both of them are pretty strong.

Oh, but I think I figured it out. That bridge and everything onward is actually pretty damn great. The production pretty much explodes and then holds that intensity for a good minute or so, and even after as it peels back there’s lots of layers of vocals all coming in after. So that makes for a pretty strong climax to a song that otherwise just starts off pretty okay. And coming away from that impression when ranking these songs might cause me to overrate it a little, yep.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that this song really needs a better hook and it’d be golden, it’s got groove and it’s got a strong ending but I think it’s a bit slow to get to a point where it really lights up and the first time it tries to get there it feels like it gets cut off early for no real reason. And there’s nothing particularly sticky about any of the vocal melodies, it’s more the synths that stand out in my mind over everything else.

Overall though I’d still say it’s… pretty good? I do like it and I do like the ending, but yeah, it’s a bit inconsistent the whole way through and I can’t see myself favoring it over the other synthpop song this round, either. They’re pretty close though, and I still enjoy this one, but I feel like I’m going to end up forgetting it pretty quickly, too.

Reward:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #777 on: November 10, 2019, 08:30:55 PM »
Bolsters: MS MR – Criminals

First Impressions:
Hmm, this has like a nu-80’s sound to it both in the synth & percussion tones as well as the melodies, or at least that’s what I hear in it. I’m hesitant to have any sort of strong opinion on this immediately ‘cause usually this is the type of song that either grows on me on relistens or loses my interest entirely. I don’t know if it’s immediately working for me in this style, but I could see it growing on me, though I doubt it’ll be a favorite either.

Final Thoughts:
As usual with most of your songs this one did end up growing on me, though I think not by as much as that Carly Rae Jepsen song from a few rounds back. This song does have quite a good groove to it, right off the bat. It’s got that nu-funk vibe running throughout it, between the drumming and the guitars (?) or synths (?) behind the chorus. I think the one thing missing is a prominent bassline, which could really help accentuate that groove even more.

Amusingly probably my favorite moment of the song – the back half of the chorus – also has really confusing lyrics I’m not sure what to do with. “Even though it hurts, I just wanna be a criminal with you”? What does this mean? Does it hurt to be in love? How are they criminals? I’m so confused. It feels like a weirdly weak sentiment to make the core statement of your song.

Coming back to the production, again, it’s not necessarily my favorite kind of sound but I do think it has enough texture and atmosphere to it to still be effective enough. There’s the necessary swells in the chorus, enough layers going on with their own different melodies that still don’t distract from the vocals, which are the clear centerpiece of the song. I think maybe the synths could serve to compliment the vocals more than they do, but it’s a small gripe at best.

The singer herself, she’s fine. I think it’s in part how almost the entire song has her harmonizing with herself, except for the front half of the last chorus – which, incidentally, is the moment where she sounds the best. Is it because she wouldn’t be able to carry the power of the rest of the song on her own? I dunno. It works for the chorus at least but I’m not so sure it was necessary for the verses.

I dunno, this isn’t my least favorite from you and on some level I do find it decently enjoyable, but it’s gone back and forth in my mind overall and definitely isn’t clicking in the way that some of the other stuff you’ve sent has for me. Fun, groovy song that I wish I liked more, but still like a fair bit nonetheless.

Reward:

Dacul: Jambinai – Sun. Tears. Red
Theme: Foreign Language Post-Metal

First Impressions:
Continuing the trend of you sending me stuff off albums I’ve listened to before, nice. Though I listened to this one after you played something in plug. Wasn’t super into it as a whole but who knows how a song will go over by itself. The intro wasn’t doing a ton for me but when the song really kicks in… mmm, that’s pretty heavy and pretty tasty. The vocals are a bit unhinged but with the frantic rhythm in play they kinda fit? I’m digging this sound even if I don’t think it’s fully clicking with me on first listen, it’s definitely interesting though.

Final Thoughts:
It’s kind of funny how this could really easily and fairly be called “post-metal” despite not really fitting into the “sound” you’d expect out of post metal. Or at least, compared to what I generally heard post-metal sounding like, the heavier parts of this don’t have that same sound – there’s something much more organic to this, maybe due to the inclusion of the folk instruments I dare not guess at the names of because I straight don’t know.

The song is built mostly (or entirely) on a 5/4 groove that’s already pretty rhythmically interesting by itself, though I admittedly don’t think the first, guitar-only take is particularly compelling, but pretty much everything after does a lot more work with that rhythm.

The vocals are probably the most interesting aspect of this overall – I can tell there are at least two distinct vocalists, and each of them has a pretty unique style – the male vocals are pretty consistently unhinged and rough-edged, the female vocals evoke something more calm and spiritual. They mix well even if it feels like there’s not a ton of harmonization (or melody in general?) and certainly make this more interesting than I would expect any sludge metal vocals to do.

It’s sort of hard to write a ton about this one because it basically thrives on three elements; 1. its groove, 2. its vocals, and 3. its atmosphere, and I’ve pretty much already said all I have to say about each of those. I think it’s interesting more than I think I necessarily “like” it, but I do all the same like it a fair bit, even if I’m not sure a full album of something like this would necessarily catch my attention in the same way.

It’s definitely something different and it definitely has a good sense of rawness and energy to it that make it emotionally interesting, and it builds and climaxes in a nice and dynamic way too, it’s satisfying from a structural perspective and a sonic perspective, it’s just… hard to pinpoint what about it makes it not quite work all the way for me. Still quite good all the same.

Reward:
Bonus:

Train of Naught: Sleep Token – Jaws

First Impressions:
Well right off the bat this is immediately different from all your other submissions thus far. Between the vocalist’s tone, melodies, and the overall atmosphere I get Britpop vibes off this, weirdly enough. At least until the drums really kick in. And there’s the metal. I kind of expected it given the single cover but I was expecting it maybe… a bit more immediately than it came to the point where I was wondering if this was just a chill track. Though it’s… a pretty brief moment, too. It seems like they’re really only using heavy guitars here for climactic moments while the rest of the song is content to be more downbeat, but I’m kind of okay with that since the heavy moments of this are probably the least interesting? This one threw me for a loop several times as I could never quite pin down what it was trying to be, but I did enjoy it for what it was all the same.

Final Thoughts:
Well, I can say for sure this is my favorite thing of everything you’ve sent me so far, right off the bat. Though funnily enough, or maybe unsurprisingly enough, I think a lot of the metal stuff is the weakest part of this one. I dunno, I get why you like it but it’s the way I feel about Hypno5e a lot of the time – good quieter moments, really bland & chuggy metal that only occasionally works to actually accentuate the song.

I also think “show me those pretty white jaws” is a really weird and awkward phrase for what I know they’re trying to say, i.e. “smile more lol”. And even moreso that they named the song around that line. That’s pretty much my only gripe with the lyrics though, or the vocals in general, ‘cause I actually like the vocals a lot, and the first minute and a half or so is probably my favorite part of this due to the vocals complimenting that quiet atmosphere really well.

The song does overall do a good job of staying dynamic, too – builds to a first climax pretty slowly, and there’s a pretty good payoff to it as well – the first metal section I don’t have much of an issue with as it’s just straight chords meant to fulfill a purpose and they serve that purpose well enough. And the second chorus has a lot more oomph to it than the first in a way I really enjoy, a lot more going on in the instrumentation without sacrificing the core melody.

The real let down is the second climax, where the more “complex” chugging doesn’t manage to achieve the same effect that the first instance of the metal elements did, so it ends up feeling weaker overall, and especially coming off how strong the chorus before it was, ends up feeling a little anticlimactic, especially with the song ending on a (pretty solid) quieter note.

Still, I do like this song a fair bit, it grew on me throughout relistens and is only really let down from being truly great by its ending (and its awkward chorus line, but I got over that pretty quickly), but it’s still overall a pretty good and interesting tune with some real power and emotional resonance behind it. Does make me want to check out this album whenever it drops, anyways (though apparently it looks like most of it is already up on youtube?). Good stuff.

Reward:

Puppies_On_Acid: Son of Aurelius – Chorus of the Earth

First Impressions:
I feel like this round is the most straight-up prog metal I’ve received any round of the roulette so far. Or maybe I’m wrong and this is something else but the first minute very much just gives me “it’s prog metal” vibes. It’s the prog metal I like though, solid melodic work, some good grooves, not over the top with progginess but still having frequent elements of it, pretty meaty and heavy overall sound. I think the drum work here is what’s standing out to me most on first listens, lots of nice accents I keep noticing. The bit at 4:15 or so is pretty neat. I think of the three prog metal songs I’ve heard this round so far, this would be in the middle of them – not the most interesting but not the least interesting either. I think it’s a bit lacking in surprises but it’s got a good core sound and it’s still enjoyable enough front-to-back, even if it’s a bit overshadowed in this round.

Final Thoughts:
I think this song is very much instrumentally satisfying, in contrast to the earlier mentioned Arch / Matheos song for sure, and that’s why I like this 7 minute prog metal song more than that one. Or at least, it’s one reason. Like, immediately one of the first things this song does is build an interesting groove in 4/4 and then turn the same groove into a nonstandard time signature. But in general the constantly shifting riffs and guitar leads of this one make it leagues more interesting to me than most of the other songs this round.

I do think the vocals are pretty solid overall too, they’re mixed a bit low pretty consistently and kind of have issues even being audible during some moments when the singer’s singing quiet but the music’s loud enough to drown him out, though he breaks through when he’s belting. I’m not super impressed by him but considering how much of this song seems to be about the instrumentation I’m not super bothered by it either.

The bass also comes through pretty consistently even during the louder moments, and there’s some moments – that aforementioned clean break in particular – where it really stands out with some fun licks. I also have to comment on this specifically since I did have other comments towards an earlier song this round about songs that are constantly pushing forward without repeated motifs – this song is one that does a good job of having lots of distinct sections but also having enough repetition that it ends up still feeling cohesive overall – most of the main, groovy riffs make two or three appearances at the very least.

There just seems to be the “token interesting but not stupendously memorable prog metal song” in every round of this roulette so far that I end up still liking quite a bit and placing towards the upper half but not quite at the top of the rankings. And yeah, that’s this song in this round. And for those keeping score at home, Winterhorde > Look to Windward > Son of Aurelius > Psychonaut = Karas (dunno on these two yet, they’re hard to compare). Anyways, yeah, definitely wanna check these guys out at the very least.

Reward:

TAC: Soulsplitter – The Moloch

First Impressions:
Eeehh that piano sound right off the bat isn’t working for me. Nor is the kinda djenty riff. It almost immediately improves after that with some solid guitar lines and then a pretty good, anthemic hook. Okay, so this is going to be all over the place huh? While I’m not huge on the piano sound itself the kind of off-kilter melody it’s playing is actually kinda neat. I dunno, this is just… a cool prog metal song? It’s cohesive and certainly derivative in some aspects but in others it’s got a unique enough sound to it, with the weird melodies and chord progressions they seem to revel in. It kinda goes on a bit and I’ll need more listens to really unpack it but pretty solid first impression, here. I like the way they toe the line of melody and dissonance consistently and while some elements I initially found offputting they didn’t end up bothering me much.

Final Thoughts:
You’ll be pleased to hear that from the first listen alone I knew this was going to be the round winner. And it really is strange that a song that starts off with that really godawful piano sound turns out to be something this good. It’s not the melody itself that’s the problem because the guitars reprise it not long after and it sounds excellent when they do. It’s just the piano sounding incredibly hollow and fake! That’s like, my biggest gripe with this entire song though.

For one, yeah, I love all the off-kilter melodies throughout this one as I already said. I also like the chorus of this one, the vocals themselves aren’t great on their own but the melody is pretty good and the middle of the chorus where the vocals turn up the intensity is soooo good. Helps to have a pretty good backing from the instrumentation during that chorus. It comes together really well and helps to ground the song.

The second verse has some really weird vocal melodies mixing in with the piano lines that are almost neo-prog levels of weirdness, except without the tone of voice that often comes packaged with those kinds of melodies. And there’s some uses of the piano here I do like too – moments where the pianos are hammering some really dissonant chords or playing frantic melodies under some really heavy guitar riffing, having that counterpoint only really adds to the already pretty damn unsettling and intense vibe.

Also, shoutout to that middle section with the chugging guitar groove in a nonconventional time signature contrasted with the 4/4 drumming, and then a pretty damn guitar solo building on top of that. I don’t know if it’s quite my favorite moment of the song (the intense as hell riffing before it is hard to beat, honestly) but it’s still pretty damn cool and a nice break from the more frantic pace of the rest of the song.

And how there’s a prettier-sounding reprise of the initial piano melody that then gives way to the more off-kilter melody as the neo prog-esque vocals come back in. And the song wraps itself full circle nicely calling back to a lot of earlier moments and capping off with a chorus that builds up further than the original. It does baffle me that the piano at the end sounds a lot less stiff than the piano at the start did, though. Like… why couldn’t the piano sound like that earlier? I’m so confused.

Anyways uhh. Yeah, this is pretty dang exciting and well-made prog metal if you ask me. It doesn’t go as wild in terms of distinct sections as the kinds of songs I mentioned in the Son of Aurelius writeup, but each section it does have is crafted really damn well and aside from the awkward piano tones in a few places I really don’t have anything to complain about with this one. It’s just really damn solid. I don’t think it quiiiite goes the extra mile to earn that top score but it’s closer than any other 4 I’ve given out in the past. Cool stuff, hopefully the rest of the album is this good so I can pad out my best of 2019 list some more.

Reward:
Round Winner Bonus:

Current Standings:
Elite: 20
Bolsters: 19
ariich: 18
Evermind: 18
Nekov: 18
Dacul: 17
Puppies_On_Acid: 17
TAC: 16
Train of Naught: 14
Buddyhunter1: 13
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 07:29:58 PM by Cyril »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #778 on: November 10, 2019, 08:33:17 PM »
i feel like i was really slow with my writeups this time, or they took longer or something, despite not being as happy with how they turned out, but, ahh well  :lol
i love how competitive this roulette has been. 8th place is only 4 berries behind 1st place right now and there's gonna be at least 3 more rounds almost guaranteed so it's anyone's game really. Reminder that I'll be taking a week or so break (I'll probably start listening to round 6 next Saturday?) but you can feel free to send whenever, just make sure it's in my inbox by, let's say, 9 AM PST on Saturday.

Updating all the usual stuff in a minute.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Round 5 Results!)
« Reply #779 on: November 10, 2019, 08:35:58 PM »
A week's break?

Ok, I'll get something out to you in the next coupla days.

I'm not in last place!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #780 on: November 10, 2019, 09:18:47 PM »
woooow

wooooooooooooooooooow

That didn't go well. :lol And if you think the lyrics in that song are terrible I think songs like The Lucky One and Heart On would give you a stroke

Anyways there's basically no chance I'm even going to make it to the EP round at this point especially since I'm pretty much already out of stuff to send you that I think would actually appeal to your tastes so I'm just gonna throw random stuff that I enjoy at you now

(aaaand sent)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #781 on: November 10, 2019, 09:25:54 PM »
looked 'em both up, on paper they just look really cheesy & goofy, they're not gross in the way that Down to Earth comes off as

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #782 on: November 10, 2019, 09:30:37 PM »
Oooooh, so close to pulling in to a second place tie.... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #783 on: November 10, 2019, 09:31:45 PM »
fwiw Down To Earth is off of a concept album about overthrowing some space dictatorship or something like that so I'm pretty sure the lyrics tie into that. But obviously that doesn't make them any better in a vacuum
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #784 on: November 10, 2019, 09:34:32 PM »
i see... would've been nice if the concept album song had like, any context into it as to who needs to be brought down to earth :P
i dunno if that'd really change the score for me though, since i just don't really like much of how the first 4 minutes sound in general
puppies you know now's the perfect time to send some absolute garbage that gets 0 berries right?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: November 10, 2019, 09:42:28 PM »
I was deciding between this and Tethered, which is my favorite from that Arch/Matheos album, so you can check it out if you want. The official video is for that is pretty good, too. It's a ballad so I didn't think it would go well.

There are two songs over 10 minutes long that I also really like, so there's that.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #786 on: November 11, 2019, 12:43:32 AM »
It’s kind of silly that, had I not sent Infant Annihilator in round 1, but something that actually would have scored point, I would have a comfortable lead by now. I thought you’d like the track I sent better than you you did, but okay. Digging deep again for some new stuff to send!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #787 on: November 11, 2019, 12:48:51 AM »
a reminder that 3 berries means it falls anywhere from a 7 to an 8 on my scale, which is pretty good  :lol
the overall quality of songs in this roulette has just been better than it was in my last roulette, i feel like, which makes sense when people are required to send way fewer songs

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #788 on: November 11, 2019, 01:47:08 AM »
Yeah that first climax is miles better than the second, I fucking love when it kicks in the first time. So simple but so powerful.

No, I wrote it in my PM too (unless I wrote it in the PM that I never sent) but Jaws is not on any album... just a random single that also happens to be their best. But definitely check out the upcoming release, I'm actually unsure when it's 'finished' but so far 11 songs have been released. It's like that thing where they release 1 song every week until the complete album has been dropped, I'm sure the complete album is almost online but so far this is all: https://open.spotify.com/album/2ofaO67MTPZB7Noo0tUJoE?si=al2Q0xTDTjeWkSrVB1XJ6g

Very diverse, it has a lot of the relaxed very melodic stuff, and some borderline metalcore/djent here and there which isn't as good in my opinion, but since it's not too dominant it's alright. IMO nothing beats Jaws, but their "Two" EP is great, would check that one out! All killer no filler.

Time to send some hipster avant-garde crap Never mind they're banned, and orange, glad I did not do that
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #789 on: November 11, 2019, 01:49:18 AM »
who, might i ask
also orange means basically nothing, there is more orange than all the other colors combined probably since i'm hard to please

anyways heck i'll check out the album if it does drop on the date i've seen listed otherwise i'll just check out that playlist. also damn, no songs better than that one. gotta love when you just randomly decide your best song doesn't belong on an album proper

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #790 on: November 11, 2019, 01:51:14 AM »
oh

well, Laster, I found them too weird at first but I'm really getting into them now, especially the new album
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #791 on: November 11, 2019, 01:55:09 AM »
oh yeah i checked out their newest album earlier this year (i own it) and it's... well it's weird but it's super inconsistent & only a few tracks really work for me.
i checked out their earlier stuff too but wasn't that into it.
also i think puppies would've sent them round 1 if they weren't banned anyways  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #792 on: November 11, 2019, 03:48:27 AM »
Sent a long-ass tune which happens to be my favourite song of last year which happens to be not banned which also happens to be a song that exists

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: November 11, 2019, 04:57:31 AM »
I get what you mean though I don't necessarily share the opinion. I do like that the song takes a little longer to build into the climax. Anyways, I'm glad you liked it. That album goes to a lot of different places as do all their albums, except the last one which I don't really like.

I will probably take my time to submit since you are taking a break. I feel like I need to dive deeper into my library to find some more tunes.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #794 on: November 11, 2019, 05:59:50 AM »
Lower, to the bottom I go.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #795 on: November 11, 2019, 10:00:55 AM »
Sent a long-ass tune which happens to be my favourite song of last year which happens to be not banned which also happens to be a song that exists
Damn, was really hoping someone would send me a song that didn't exist, would've been an easy 5 + round winner

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #796 on: November 11, 2019, 10:40:46 AM »
In my mind
What I find
As I search
Every coat
I lose hope

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #797 on: November 11, 2019, 10:54:52 AM »
Are those the actual lyrics  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #798 on: November 11, 2019, 10:56:21 AM »
As a hardcore Pitfalls fanboi I am ashamed to admit that they are :lol

Edit: also, Foreigner has “feel just like a knucklehead, might have to put away my sled.. MIGHT HAVE TO PUT AWAY MY SLEEEEED”

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: November 11, 2019, 10:57:40 AM »
I didn't think it was "every coat" but I just looked it up in the booklet and :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #800 on: November 11, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »
I'm gonna be the one person on DTF who didn't get Pitfalls I guess

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #801 on: November 11, 2019, 11:29:25 AM »
I'm gonna be the one person on DTF who didn't get Pitfalls I guess

Nah, I didn't bother either

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #802 on: November 11, 2019, 11:29:30 AM »
I didn't think it was "every coat" but I just looked it up in the booklet and :lol

Yeah wtf is up with that
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #803 on: November 11, 2019, 11:31:59 AM »
I Lose Hope is about Einar losing his car keys (that's why he took the train in Observe the Train)

Pitfalls is secretly just an entire album of Einar complaining about a really bad night he had once & it ends with The Sky is Red which is just the sunrise

Prove me wrong

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: November 11, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »
(that's why he took the train in Observe the Train)

And obviously the train went in the wrong direction, wrong direction