Author Topic: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Final Results)  (Read 62468 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Round 4 Hangman!)
« Reply #630 on: November 05, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »
I'm literally doing worse with each round.

Lower down.

He says while seating atop the ranking...
Only because I started strong.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #631 on: November 05, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »
Well, since this is very quiet...

Did Train send Type O Negative?
Puppies for Scar Symmetry maybe?
No no nooooooo

Ariich next round you should send some St. Vincent :neverusethis:

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #632 on: November 05, 2019, 02:00:31 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #633 on: November 05, 2019, 02:15:06 PM »
Yes, actually!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #634 on: November 05, 2019, 02:40:31 PM »
Well, since this is very quiet...

Did Train send Type O Negative?
Puppies for Scar Symmetry maybe?
No no nooooooo

Ariich next round you should send some St. Vincent :neverusethis:
Isn't that the only thing that you ever Rule 6'd?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #635 on: November 05, 2019, 02:42:40 PM »
Yeah! You wanna keep going down, down, lower, at the bottom of the valley

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #636 on: November 05, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »
Below
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #637 on: November 05, 2019, 04:42:55 PM »
Yeah! You wanna keep going down, down, lower, at the bottom of the valley....next to TAC
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #638 on: November 05, 2019, 09:48:24 PM »
Round 4 Results
Round 4 Playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7JFakMVO07WSMWDQcukMzQ

Dacul: Kate Bush – The Big Sky
Theme: Pre-2000’s Pop

First Impressions:
Maybe it’s because of the version of this I picked but the production sounds reaaally flat in a kind of obnoxious way that makes it hard to listen to, it’s 90% percussion and vocals with everything else buried in the mix and compressed as hell and I can hardly appreciate anything else about this. Granted the vocals sound like standard 80’s pop to me and the instrumentation has some okay rock flair to it but not a ton, or at least, not that I can hear. I dunno, this already isn’t my thing and then the entire thing is trapped behind awful mixing to boot. Who could’ve guessed the worst production of the round would come from this song in particular? Geez, it’s nigh-unlistenable in this state.

Final Thoughts:
Okay, let’s try to put aside the production for a bit, especially since it was never quite as bad for me after the first listen (though it, uhh, wasn’t good either). The other major problem this song really has is just how repetitive it is. The song has to say “the big sky” somewhere close to 50 times across the entire song if not more. Or it feels that way if not. And it’s over four and a half minutes long when it feels like it could comfortably be three.

And nothing about the overall aesthetic really appeals to me either. Like the drumming itself is kind of impressive I guess. There’s like two endless guitar loops throughout the entire song, the one acoustic one and the one electric one that’s barely even audible. The bass has presence but no discernable melody, it’s just another layer of endless thudding on top of the loud percussion. And I’m just not too into her vocal style much. Maybe it’s because most of the lyrics are just “the big sky” over and over again but this style of vocals just doesn’t do much for me.

And the production is… still baffling, especially considering the remaster that happened over 30 years later and changed, to my ears, basically nothing. What’s the appeal of crushing every aspect of instrumental melody under the percussion like this? Why even bother having the rest of the instruments? The song also ends on something like a minute long fadeout that literally is just repeating the same four measures over and over.

Anyways, I just don’t really enjoy anything at all about this song. It’s not the worst thing ever and if I’m not focusing on it I can mostly tune it out, but that’s about the highest praise I can give this.

Reward:
Bonus:

TAC: Gates To The Morning – Chapel Perilous
Theme: None

First Impressions:
I actually listened to this album once or twice but didn’t end up digging deeper into it! I remember it being vaguely progressive & doom-y, let’s see if my memories are right. This one is uhh. Like, chamber folk or something, actually? Is that the right term? I think if this developed into a metal track I’d like it a lot but it’s, like, a super weird pick for a roulette, I feel. It’s not… bad, or unpleasant, by any stretch, and maybe in the context of the album it works really well, but on its own I’m just not sure what to make of it. Did you mean to send this song? I’m genuinely wondering. Not that it’s bad but it doesn’t really feel like a roulette song, more an album cut that needs that context.

Final Thoughts:
I’m not really sure what to add to my first impression with on this one. It’s… almost completely empty. There’s like, a few recurring melodies here, sure. The vocal performance itself is pretty solid, he sounds nice, but there’s too much of a free-flowing vibe to it and it’s pretty dang repetitive, there’s like maybe two or three different vocal melodies throughout the song. And there’s never any accompaniment. If there are vocals, the instruments will wait until the end of the phrase to kick back in, and the vocals won’t come back until the instruments are gone.

And the instrumentation is like… looping guitars and, I think, harp? Throughout most of the song. You could probably make a decent soundscape out of that but there’s not really any attempt at doing so here either. There’s again just like, two different passages of instrumentation that repeat ad infinitum between vocal moments.

This even fails as an interlude track because it’s just too long for what it’s going for. It’s six and a half minutes long and it has less substance to it than any of the 3 minute songs I’ve received all roulette. I don’t know what this even has to offer outside the context of the album it’s on, either.

So I can only just wonder… why did you send this to me? Is this the song you meant to send? Is this the type of song you enjoy listening to on its own? Not only does it not really appeal to my tastes in any way, but it seems decisively un-TAC-like, both from what you’ve sent me in the past and from how you tend to rate things in your roulette. I am genuinely confused.

This is the definition of a 5/10 because it evokes nothing in me. I don’t have anything really negative to say about it, but it makes me feel nothing and I don’t have any words of praise for it either. Perfectly average.

Reward:

Train of Naught: Raketkanon – Florent

First Impressions:
What is this, post-metal does funk rock? Oh man, and those vocals are rough as heck too. Thank god this is short, I honestly couldn’t see myself sitting through an 8-minute version of this sound 5 times. Well, okay, it has an okay quiet bit in the middle, but. No, those vocals are legit some of the worst I’ve ever heard in rock/metal, dear god. The groove itself is… okay, but not heavy enough to be satisfying and doesn’t sound tight enough to get me headbobbing either. Guitar line at the end is alright too. The vocals completely ruin what was already a mid-to-low tier song to begin with, dear god. Some bits of this I like but not many.

Final Thoughts:
Well okay, this grew on me a little bit. The groove, mostly. That’s not a bad groove, actually. Maybe hearing it a few more times helped it grow on me. I won’t say it’s an amazing groove, but it’s a good baseline for a song that could develop into a better, heavier groove.

This song unfortunately doesn’t go that route, it goes the route of adding some of the most annoying vocals I can recall. I genuinely don’t understand the appeal of this style of vocals. I don’t know what else to say, they just sound the closest thing to “objectively bad” something can be. Any moment with vocals is worse off for having them.

The clean break in the middle is a nice moment of reprieve, though it’s not a particularly strong atmosphere, a bit too empty to have much of any impact. And the ending is kinda cool. I think this is the only moment the vocals don’t ruin, I dig that guitar lead and there’s some solid intensity here and the vocals are mostly not present and only indiscernable shrieks when they are.

The song is also pretty short, and when about half of it leaves a negative impact on me through a single element, there’s not much room for it to make a positive impression. Still, this ended up higher than I originally expected it to, though the bottom three this round were all pretty much set in stone from the first listen. But yeah. Sorry man, I just don’t get it.

Reward:

ariich: Scar Symmetry – The Kaleidoscopic God

First Impressions:
Honestly, I know of these guys, but exclusively through “guitar hero solo compilations” because these guys had a pretty ridiculous one of those. So I know them for their technicality and not much else. Right off the bat I get mostly melodeath vibes from this though which is I guess not quite what I was expecting? The riffs are okay and the vocals are fine, though for this sound I did prefer what Soilwork I’ve heard, from what you sent me previously, but the energy is at least there in this one. I don’t know if I’m really hearing much about this that particularly stands out though. Yeah, there are prog elements, but those elements are a longer-than-average runtime and shifts between various 4/4 riffs that I’ve basically already heard before in other bands. I get where you’re coming from for this one but there isn’t much about it that either impresses or stands out to me, it’s “fine” though.

Final Thoughts:
Every round has to have one song that stands out by being the least memorable of the round, and this round it ended up being this one. Which is interesting, because from a technical standpoint, these guys probably have the most talent, or at least the most instrumental chops, of any band sent. Bu I don’t know, just that there isn’t a ton about this one that does much for me.

The riffs… okay, there’s the one really chuggy, kind of thrash-y one throughout the verses that doesn’t do much for me, the one that’s heavier and meatier behind the chorus that has some solid grooves, there’s a few others that show up less often that are all kinda solid too but not especially memorable.

The vocals, the growls here are fine, I am pretty indifferent on them leaning I guess slightly negative, they’re kind of doofy cookie monster-style low growls. The cleans are okay too, the singer doesn’t sound that great but he’s got a solid melody to work with that makes up for it. Other things… the break in the middle that happens and builds up some atmospheric swell is pretty neat, but it doesn’t quite feel like it builds into anything.

The real highlights of this one are the solo sections, the first shorter solo is a bit buried in the mix but it has a nice riff below it and the solo itself is pretty solid too. The second solo is really where it’s at, there’s just a ton going on here that I dig the hell out of. It kind of mixes a metal solo style with a lot of tones that make me think more of 70’s classic rock and the riffs behind each section of the solo reflect pretty well which influence that passage is pulling from to make for an impressive and propulsive section. It’s been the highlight of the song for me every listen and usually the only part that really catches my attention.

It’s overall… a fine song, but outside of that really good solo section, not much of it really clicks for me in a way that makes me want to return to it. It doesn’t overstay its welcome and it’s moving around enough to not get boring over its runtime, it’s got a solid enough hook and a few repeated motifs that I like, but the overall aesthetic is one that’s really hit or miss for me and I can’t say this is a particularly strong hit, though it’s not a miss either. I’m still going to call it your weakest submission yet but your weakest still isn’t half bad.

I should stress that this is like, the most borderline between two ratings any song has been yet and I’m probably going to judge future round scores against it, though.

Reward:

Evermind: Lost Domain – Rise of Isolash
Theme: Female-Fronted Death Metal

First Impressions:
Alright, Evermind back on the harsh vocals bandwagon, that’s how you know it’s gonna be either really good or really terrible. Initial impression is definitely getting some Oceans of Slumber vibes off this, a heavy and dark sound with some pretty powerful vocals, though it also kind of leans more towards a melodic death metal sound. I’d rather have a female-fronted band in the genre than a male-fronted one, though, from my experience. There’s a bit of a proggy direction to this one too, I’ve kind of just been casually enjoying it without having a ton to really say during my first impression but I think that’s fine. It’s pretty straightforward for what it is but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t rock or that I don’t dig it a lot, ‘cause it does, and I do.

Final Thoughts:
The other 7-ish minute death metal track of this round. I’m doing these write-ups back-to-back even if they don’t end up this way in the final rankings, which is probably a bad idea, but it’s also an opportunity to compare both of these and see why one works a little bit better for me than the other.

Well for one, she’s a better singer than anything Scar Symmetry had to offer me. She does sound like the kind of singer who could front a symphonic metal band though so I’m glad this isn’t, uhh, that. She’s not as good as the Scarlet Stories vocalist, though, no moment of this really gives me chills in the way that some stuff on that album does and her highest notes also aren’t as high, though that’s kind of a silly metric to judge based on anyways.

The guitar riffs here are also pretty solid, they balance groove and melody well, both the main riff behind the verses and the chorus are pretty headbob-worthy. I can groove to that. Just like the other song this round, this one also has a break in the middle, though here that serves as a transition into a pretty killer triplet groove and some nice clean/harsh vocal tradeoffs.

The faster section kinda comes and goes pretty quickly before it’s back to the norm but I do like that there’s a triplet guitar line that comes in the background of the buildup that follows, kind of a lingering aftershock of that faster groove. The song basically just rides that buildup from that point onward and while I don’t feel the climax is especially satisfying, it’s still a pretty solid moment.

That’s kind of what I’d say about this one overall. It’s very solid metal. I don’t ever quite fine any moment of it especially powerful, but it’s a nearly 8 minute track that I enjoy front-to-back to a pretty positive extent, though I also definitely am not really emotionally resonating with it or finding it especially hard-hitting either. I can’t really fault it for anything  though, it’s just not quite grabbing my interest, but it’s a good song  all the same.

Reward:
Bonus:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #639 on: November 05, 2019, 09:49:05 PM »
Buddyhunter1: Type O Negative – Love You To Death

First Impressions:
Eehh I was apprehensive about these guys because I already had a general idea of how they sounded from a few tracks being played in plug and the vocals just flat do not work for me. Like, the gothic style of vocals in general don’t vibe with me, it’s just too low-pitched (or for female vocals, often just really flavorless). Though I guess my gripes mostly apply to the vocals in the intro, throughout the rest of the song they’re fine? And the music picks up a lot of the slack here too, the production quality is hhhmmmm but the riffs themselves & the musical texture are all pretty nice to compensate. I dunno, not a ton for me to say on first listen here? It’s better than I was expecting. Not fully past the vocals or the production on this and it might drag a bit long but the overall experience was still relatively positive.

Final Thoughts:
This was probably the biggest grower of the round for me. Stylistically this generally isn’t my kind of sound, nor is the kind of rough production something I’m particularly fond of. And the vocals at the start very much get this one off to a rough start for me, but that’s probably as much as I really have to gripe about for the majority of this song.

For one, that main riff is killer, actually. It’s got both heaviness and a melodic hook to it and builds up a pretty good groove for the rest of the song to build up on. The production quality doesn’t destroy the power or groove of the riff either, so it’s hard to really complain that much about it if it’s still working just fine?

The vocals throughout most of the rest of the song too, I’m not wild about the verses I guess but they’re fine. The chorus is actually really cool though, the more ethereal sounding vocals and the weird melodic turn at the very end of the chorus is neat too, and the instrumentation behind it backs it up without getting too in the way either. It’s got a weirdly dreamlike vibe to it. And then the vocals in the outro return to more of how they sound in the verses, though with some pretty powerful longer notes thrown in.

The entire outro section, too, builds off another good groove. There’s some sense of uneasy desperation to the last bit, or at least that’s what I hear in it. Really, taking a step back from this song, it’s basically three different, similarly-paced grooves that flow into each other, which kind of creates a sense of progression, even if it’s not immediately obvious. But it keeps me from getting bored & allows the song to have quite a few hooks over its runtime too. Maybe that’s why it grew on me, there’s a lot to latch onto with this one.

I’m still not completely wild for it, of course, since I think there’s always going to be some degree of aesthetic clash with stuff like this for me, but it’s a very solid attempt that I can’t say was really unsuccessful. I can’t imagine wanting a whole album of this, but at the very least I dig this one.

Reward:

Puppies_On_Acid: Darkspace – Dark 3.13

First Impressions:
Yeah this is kind of what I remember them being. 90% guitar fuzz with basically no vocals or drums. They’re like, audible in the background but only barely. I don’t even think it’s necessarily that the production is bad, it’s that the mixing is bizarre and makes them sound more like a drone metal band than a black metal band. And there’s some kind of guitar melodies that pop in from time to time too, but. Again they remain mostly buried. Just past the halfway mark comes the first proper riff of the song and the first semblance of actual melody? But I kinda preferred the almost ambient feel of the first half. It sort of trades off the sense of atmosphere for monotone chugging that feels more like blackened post-metal than anything. I can sort of get what they’re going for with this one but it almost feels like they don’t commit hard enough to the sound to make it fully click.

Final Thoughts:
I’m sure you submitted this song just to make my life impossible, because not only is it hard to really… talk about this song, it’s also hard to compare something like this to, you know, more traditional music. Because, I mean, it’s definitely one of the more unique entries I’ve ever had in any roulette.

Honestly until like the fourth listen I didn’t even realize there were vocals on this song. I definitely hear them now, but like. The guitars in the first half are just, absolutely drowning out everything else here to a ridiculous extent. The drums try to provide rhythm and vaguely succeed, and I’m not sure if there’s any bass at all, or just like five layers of guitars all playing at once. There’s also some organ that comes in towards the end of the more atmospheric half that I like, it just adds another layer of texture to the overall experience.

The chuggier riff sections I can’t say I’m as big into… they sort of break the almost ambient immersion of the first half for what is, for all intents and purposes, much more traditional metal compared to what came before. The really imbalanced mix is still there, sure, but now the guitars are being as rhythmic as the drums and just being “heavy” rather than “atmospheric” and you bet I like one of those more than the other. They’re not bad sections though, just that taking the second half of this song on its own I definitely wouldn’t be as into it. I do appreciate the more melodic guitar lines that come in at the very end to break up the monotony of the riffing though, even if it’s still not really the kind of sound I’d want to hear.

So to sum it up: The first half is weird but in a way exactly what I’d want out of atmospheric black metal. The second half isn’t, and brings the song down a fair bit, but I can at least bear with it and maybe in the context of an album it’d work better. I do intend to check out this album, anyways, since I’m intrigued enough by the sound, or at least hoping there’s more of the sound of the first half of this on the album. It’s probably not gonna win anyone else in this roulette over though, haha, wow.

Reward:

Nekov: As Tall as Lions – In Case of Rapture

First Impressions:
Huh, the initial vibes I’m getting off this one are interesting. Drums are very active and driving a lot of energy, vocalist seems pretty dynamic in his delivery. I kind of get Kings of Leon vibes off of their overall sound, if that makes sense? I don’t know why specifically that band, especially since I’ve barely listened to them. I dunno, not a ton else to say. Dug the energy and overall sound of this one even if it doesn’t come off as particularly unique.

Final Thoughts:
First off, I gotta say – that’s one of the worst album covers I’ve ever seen. Thanks, I hate it. Second off, why does that one guitar riff sound almost exactly like the chorus of Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) by Journey? Seriously, that’s been throwing me for a loop every listen since I noticed it in my second listen.

Anyways this is the kind of indie rock I’m most on board with. Very energetic and bright sound, pretty strong and dynamic vocal performance, good hooks throughout, and actually pretty talented musicianship considering the style. All the band members, really. The drummer is pulling most of the weight, for sure, but the basslines are pretty cool and there’s so many different little things going on with the guitars too, from some more jagged riffs to moments of tremolo-picked texture, and more spacious moments in between.

It’s not relentlessly peppy or fast-paced either, though, with some quieter moments that still keep that driving energy throughout thanks to the instrumentation but still give the listener a moment to breathe. And the break in the middle does build up to a very satisfying climax – the horns and whoa-oh vocals at the end over the tremolo riff and just like, layers and layers of stuff all happening without ever sounding cluttered. I guess if I had to nitpick I think the ending is a bit… anticlimactic, the song just has nowhere else to go so it fades out without any satisfying resolution but ehh. That really is just a nitpick.

I didn’t think a ton of this one at first and even now I can’t say it’s, like, the most unique thing ever, but it is pretty refreshing for the kind of sound it’s going for and pretty much nails everything it’s trying to do without breaking a sweat. Fun, plenty enjoyable tune. Can’t complain.

Reward:

Elite: Winterhorde – Underwatermoon

First Impressions:
Well this is interesting right off the bat. It’s got that pounding black metal feel to it but it’s got some more technical guitar noodling going on too and I really dig the use of organ on this one too. It’s a kind of chaotic and impenetrable sound but I’m interested in digging into it more. And then the song goes for a quiet break in the middle… alright. I feel that kind of brings the song to a bit of a halt but it does built up nicely back into the heavier stuff. I don’t know why you were worried about this one performing poorly, I dig the heck out of it & this sound in general. Don’t know if it will be necessarily a favorite though but we’ll see.

Final Thoughts:
While this didn’t end up as my absolute favorite of the round, it’s definitely one of the more interesting just on sound alone. Because uhh, wow, yeah, this one’s doing a lot, more than I can realistically go into in a writeup. More than I can digest in just 5 listens, really. Like, the first thing the song does is a very pretty quiet section immediately slamming into an intense and loud black metal segment that goes through both clean and harsh vocals.

There’s this bit around the 2-minute mark that has some dissonant organ hits coming in on the off-beat and that transitions into this really frantic guitar line on top of them for just an utterly chaotic and terrifying sound. It’s like if the noodling that Infant Annihilator did had a point and created an atmosphere, mostly by virtue of it not being completely brickwalled and having interesting texture to it.

Also. The middle is… kind of hilarious? Everything just stops and there’s lots of watery sound effects under this almost comically pretty moment with guitars and syrupy female vocals. Taking the title of the song very literally, huh? I do kind of get the break, though. It’s the weight of the intensity of the earlier section just snapping at its limit and it’s a bit of a shock but it’s the conclusion that horror show kind of deserves, though contrasting it with something so saccharine is genuinely really funny to me.

I think the rest of the song past that point doesn’t ever quite reach the heights of the first half, but it does have a pretty strong ending all the same, bringing in the blastbeats over a symphonic texture with some really desperate sounding vocals and capping it off with a really frantic guitar line over an equally frantic guitar riff.

The whole ride is pretty compelling, to be sure, though I think it’s a bit lacking in terms of, like, specifically memorable moments or hooks – even five listens later I can’t still fully recall how a lot of it sounds without being in the moment, but in the moment I enjoy it a hell of a lot all the same. Definitely gonna be digging into this band, regardless, since I am very much enjoying the style they have on display here.

Reward:

Bolsters: Eisley – Mr. Moon

First Impressions:
One of those artists I’ve heard of but never really checked out so I have no clue what to expect. For one, I wasn’t expecting female vocals. This seems like it’s in that indie pop/rock vein though. I will say it’s a sound I’ve kind of heard a lot of before but this definitely seems like a better stab at it, at least on first impression. Nice vocal melodies and the instrumentation is simple but textured enough to carry a mood. Drummer pulls more weight than I’d usually expect out of this sound, too. It’s a familiar enough sound but my first impression is that it’s executed pretty well and has room to grow on me as well.

Final Thoughts:
Is it me or does the singer here sound kind of like Taylor Swift? A bit less nasal but she’s got a similar tone of voice a lot of the time. This is a very different kind of song than what I’d expect out of Taylor, for sure, at least nowadays, but.

Anyways this one I already liked right off the bat but it only really got better with subsequent listens. For one, the hook is just really well executed in all regards. Strong melodies and harmonies on later repetitions, propulsive drums and general instrumentation driving it with enough little details to keep it relistenable, just a strong emotional connection to the song overall.

I think that’s generally what makes this one work for me – it makes me feel more than any other song in this round. The best moment has to be the second verse, there’s like, a completely different delivery on every single line and almost all of them just go straight for the gut. And the bridge in the middle has some nice additional instrumentation – it’s maybe a subtle moment but it’s one I like quite a bit.

And there’s just a good sense of escalation throughout the entire song – the sound is building up with each section up until the third verse, stripping back for a quieter moment before the climactic finale. It’s maybe a bit cliché of a song structure but it’s a cliché for a reason, because it just plain works.

I will say that this was a much closer call for round winner than in rounds past, since I could honestly see my opinion on the top three songs all changing over time, though they’re all very good in their own ways. This is the one that’s done the most for me recurrently across all my listens, though, and I think that’s probably the strongest criteria to me for what the round winner really is – a good song that is immediately recognizable as good and continues to remain powerful even on repeated listens.

Reward:
Round Winner Bonus:

Current Standings:
Elite: 17
ariich: 16
Evermind: 16
Bolsters: 16
Nekov: 15
Dacul: 13
Puppies_On_Acid: 13
Buddyhunter1: 13
Train of Naught: 10
TAC: 10

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Round 4 Results!)
« Reply #640 on: November 05, 2019, 10:15:33 PM »
Scores in first post updated.
Bonus themes table updated.
Banned during the roulette list updated.

listening to that Karas album now also since I never got a chance to before  :corn

idle comment, while i do like all three 4's this round I don't think any of them are quite as good as either 4 this round. winterhorde and eisley may be close though. any 4 is still, y'know, quite a good song regardless so  :lol

i'm also gonna take my usual week-long break after round 5 which should have results posted for it on sunday, i don't see any way that's missed since i'll have time to listen thursday, friday, saturday, and sunday, & then after that while round 6 submissons are coming in i'll start listens only on the friday after

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #641 on: November 05, 2019, 10:16:12 PM »
That's actually a fair assessment of that particular Darkspace song. I think you will like the rest of the album based on your thoughts of the first half of this song. And as you surmised, it all works way better in the context of the album. And you hit the nail on the head regarding the mix/production. It is intentionally mixed this way. Also as a side note, there is bass, but it's fairly low in the mix. It comes through much clearer on a nice pair of headphones, adding a nice lower end to round out the sound.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #642 on: November 05, 2019, 10:23:05 PM »
also, according to the scoreboard, we are halfway through the main rounds of the roulette! if the same pace keeps up at least, 5 people will reach 30 by the end of round 8.

considering round 1 started on october 17th (less than 3 weeks ago) i feel like i'm making pretty good pace here, which is what i wanted out of this roulette anyways

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #643 on: November 05, 2019, 10:59:15 PM »

generally cool sound but feel like the album overall has the same drawbacks the song i was send does - namely, feels a bit colorless? it's more post-metal than anything else and i really dig a lot of the drumwork & there's good atmospheric & progressive stuff on here too, my overall thoughts are positive to be sure but it probably does need more listens to sink in

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: November 06, 2019, 01:03:25 AM »
Hell yeah, actually got a bonus strawberry, nice.

I'm kinda running out of stuff I think you may dig, let's see what else I've got.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #645 on: November 06, 2019, 01:16:30 AM »
If you found those vocals annoying, I'm glad I didn't send "Fons" :D

I know what you mean, sometimes I don't mind "objectively bad" vocals, I think Raketkanon have a really interesting sound and arguably the most consistently good discography of any new band with 3 or more albums (for my tastes)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #646 on: November 06, 2019, 03:14:45 AM »
Oh, wow. Despite the worst start possible really, I still manage to be in first place. That's quite cool. Let's see if I can keep it up.

Also, I'd like to reserve Eisley for a future round!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: November 06, 2019, 03:58:29 AM »
Well, I'm pleasantly surprised that you liked that song so much :smiley:. And I agree that the album cover is pretty awful but lucky for me we don't get points for that  :lol

Will send something later today
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #648 on: November 06, 2019, 05:54:12 AM »
Sent something almost as great as Raketkanon

0.5 strawberries
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #649 on: November 06, 2019, 07:54:01 AM »
Wow, everyone's gotten at least one golden strawberry except me :lol
It's probably gonna stay that way tbh, unless I somehow manage to get a first place one round
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #650 on: November 06, 2019, 08:34:34 AM »
Also, I'd like to reserve Eisley for a future round!
wrong roulette  :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #651 on: November 06, 2019, 08:39:36 AM »
Well that was a bad choice :lol.

Sent something epic.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: November 06, 2019, 10:59:27 AM »
Just came back from work and I plan to get some sleep soon, not sure if I'll be able to pick a song in the next few hours, if not, I'll send you something in ~12 hours.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #653 on: November 06, 2019, 11:05:28 AM »
No rush here, I won't count people late until Friday morning but would like to start Thursday evening so

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #654 on: November 06, 2019, 11:18:55 AM »
Hmm, fair enough. Kaleidoscopic God isn't my favourite but I sent it as it's a bit proggier and varied and balances the heavy and melodic sides quite well. But I do wonder if I'd have been better off focusing on one or the other, like going for one of the big anthemic songs. Ah well!

Having a think about round 5.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: November 06, 2019, 11:20:42 AM »
I'm basically on a crossroads pondering if I should continue thinking about the stuff Cyril would probably like or just go my own way, send some Russian prog metal for the bonus point, then follow it up with Russian death metal for another bonus point, then send Arch Matheos and then send some instrumental ambient and end up with 20 strawberries total, and I would definitely like to sleep on it

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #656 on: November 06, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »
Well, I sucked it that round. :facepalm:

I'm quite high on the Gates To the Morning album. I wasn't really sure what song to send from it though. I was listening a few weeks ago, and that song really grabbed me. I was hoping the vibe would translate, but apparently not. :lol

Anyway, sent for Round 5.

That Lost Domain album is amazing. There's hardly any harsh vocals on that album, but they crush Oceans Of Slumber. First of all, they can actually write songs. They have a Quuensryche vibe to them...think Damaged.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #657 on: November 06, 2019, 02:42:22 PM »
I've heard one queensryche album and dunno what a Damaged is.
Oceans of Slumber are pretty inconsistent though, I still think their first album is overall their best since it's the most musically interesting even if the vocals are... kinda rough
Winter is by far their best song though

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #658 on: November 06, 2019, 02:47:55 PM »
Based on what I've heard, I'd have to go with Suffer the Last Bridge.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: November 06, 2019, 02:54:09 PM »
Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #660 on: November 06, 2019, 03:05:12 PM »
Based on what I've heard, I'd have to go with Suffer the Last Bridge.
That one is probably more up your alley than most yeah
You are a hard rock guy and all, apparently

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #661 on: November 06, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »
I like the beginning of Winter a lot. But I don't know. The song somehow loses me.

That guys has a great voice, but there's a huge disconnect to me in their music.

I sampled them when they first came out, and may have even had one of the first OoS posts here, but I just couldn't get into them.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #662 on: November 06, 2019, 03:33:28 PM »
Scent.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #663 on: November 06, 2019, 10:27:08 PM »
I'm going to try to send something tonight or no later than tomorrow evening.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #664 on: November 06, 2019, 11:45:29 PM »
no rush, only have half the songs so far anyways  :lol

hmm, i dunno, something about this isn't quite working for me. the song i was sent isn't particularly representative of the rest of the album and the rest of the album is more straightforward indie rock than anything. it's not bad or unpleasant but it's also not grabbing me as much as mr. moon did, even on first listen i dug that one a lot and nothing else here got that reaction from me. maybe it needs a relisten, maybe they have a better full album to check out, i don't really know

was gonna do a second one tonight but ehh, it's a bit late now