Author Topic: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Final Results)  (Read 62184 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Round 8 Comparisons!)
« Reply #1155 on: November 29, 2019, 01:14:36 AM »
also i haven't listened to any round 6 or 7 albums yet because i'm trying to clear out first listens of the stack of albums on my desk that i got in the mail, down to 6 of them right now so hopefully after this weekend i'll be done with that and onto checking out some of the stuff i've been meaning to look into  :corn

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1156 on: November 29, 2019, 01:17:20 AM »
:lol

1 strawberry + 1 bonus theme strawberry

I know my next track though, gonna win the next round for sure
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1157 on: November 29, 2019, 06:06:14 PM »
Round 8 Results
Round 8 Playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0k8O57pWYma6C4igsKkVjy

Train of Naught: Mayflower Madame – Lovesick
Theme: None

First Impressions:
I like post-hardcore but post-punk is definitely something I see myself… less interested in, mostly because the vocal style is usually not too agreeable for me. This certainly has more of a fun groove to it than most of what I’ve heard in the genre though. I don’t really… have much else to say about it though? It kinda just goes on with the same sound for about three minutes then it ends. Not a bad or unpleasant sound or anything but it never really feels like it goes anywhere or does much for me, it’s just… fine.

Final Thoughts:
I’m just… not sure I’m seeing the appeal of this one. I don’t get it at all. There’s like, a very light groove to this, but it’s not a strong or particularly unique groove, just a standard swing on some guitars that have a bit of twang to them. And I guess it does have a bit of a louder climax towards the end, the guitars get a bit more power as the song goes on.

The vocals… sound fine. The melodies feel relatively hookless and low-pitched and I don’t find them particularly interesting or memorable, and there’s a looooot of reverb that I suspect is compensating for a less than stellar vocal performance, but it sounds fine enough. I’m not very into the sound but I’m not bothered by it.

And… I’m not even sure what else the song has to comment on. I feel like I’ve talked about every element here that’s even notable already and the song isn’t even 3 minutes long on top of that. There’s just absolutely nothing for me to get into or chew on regarding this song. It feels shallow and uninteresting to me. I don’t dislike it and it’s over quick enough that I don’t get bored listening to it but that’s about as positive as I can be here.

Reward:

TAC: Countless Skies – Ethereal

First Impressions:
There’s almost no metal this round so I hope this one is at least solid, haha, I still am more of a metal guy than anything else you know. Those growls… hhmmmMMM. This is like the third song this round (out of 6 so far) with the vocals mixed weirdly low. I don’t think it’s my speakers though? The other songs have sounded fine. I dunno, so far this just seems pretty uninteresting in the straightforward melodeath lane. Like, I haven’t heard a single melody yet that really stood out to me. Yeah, gotta say on first listen this is actually kinda boring. Nothing about this one that really stood out for better or worse except, again, the vocal mixing!

Final Thoughts:
Probably the biggest disappointment of the round, as a metal track in a very metal-devoid round that just flat freakin’ bores me. I place the largest share of the blame for this on the production and mixing, which is both rather muddy in sound and just mixed bafflingly to crush any elements of high-end melody. The vocals, especially the cleans, are indecipherable and muted, the riffs have more texture than tone to them, even the snare sounds weak as hell, especially compared to the hihats and bass drum. I’m also not sure there’s even a bass guitar, or even if there is, it’s just doubling the low guitar riffing with a probably limp as hell tone.

The riffing itself. It’s fine… it’s not just flat chugs in a boring, monotonous rhythm, it’s an alright rhythm and there’s some chord hits in between the chugging. Either that or it’s power chord hits behind something else intended to be the focus of that section, which is fine if it’s being functional enough. The melodies on the other hand… they’re just completely hookless, a lot of holding on one note for long periods of time without any sort of melodic progression, so it at best sounds pleasant, at worse sounds tedious.

I guess the bass is there but only audible during the quieter moments in the middle of the song. That quiet moment’s alright. Nothing special but it’s balanced better than the rest of the song. The vocals… well, the harsh vocals aren’t good, the cleans are serviceable when you can hear them. The synth tones they pick out don’t really mess well at all, they have no presence, they’re all really bell-like without any texture to them and they’re only noticeable when there’s not much else going on.

This doesn’t rank at the bottom of the round simply due to at least being slightly up my alley in terms of style, but that’s like, the one concession I’m willing to make with this one, because it’s straight-up one of the least interesting and worst-sounding metal songs I’ve received this roulette. There’s little to nothing I actively dislike here, so it’s not a zero, but it’s doing the barest of minimum to be a passable metal tune and I don’t see the appeal at all.

Reward:

Evermind: Delerium ft. Sarah McLachlan – Silence
Theme: Pre-2000’s Ambient

First Impressions:
This is simply… Angelic. Haha. Nah, but… it’s less ambient and more like, trip-hop-y almost? Probably not quite but it does feel very 90’s. I do like the low-key groove this has going on and she’s like, a fine enough singer. It’s more like, background music to me than anything though but I do find it pleasant enough. The guitar work is pretty nice too. The general vibe of this one is pretty pleasant, my big worry is that it won’t have much lasting value or really ever resonate with me that strongly.

Final Thoughts:
Really starting to think the pre-2000’s themes were all a complete mistake. Should’ve never added that theme row in the first place. This doesn’t even have the problem that a lot of them had of sounding really dated production-wise. I mean, it does sound very dated, to be sure. But I mean the overall sound is fine. There’s some solid atmosphere and a generally clean sound to all of this with just enough texture to keep it from feeling too sterile.

I just don’t think there’s much of this I find particularly… noteworthy. It goes on for a fair bit longer than it feels like it should, without ever really progressing much or going anywhere interesting. There’s a rough verse/chorus structure to the song, and McLachlan’s vocals are solid enough to at least make the vocal moments land well enough. There’s kind of a hook here, albeit I think the sleepy vibe of the overall groove makes it hard for the chorus to hit that hard. It’s not unpleasant and I can kind of see the appeal.

And the guitar work too, it’s kinda neat? Has light vibes of flamenco guitar sound to it, though it slots in well with the kind of ambient/trip-hop sound of the overall song. The last chorus does feel like it gets a bit more intense too and has some kind of climax.

I dunno. Everything about this  “works well enough” for what it’s going for but it just lacks any real emotional punch for me. I don’t feel much of anything listening to this. It’s a bit too busy to feel truly atmospheric or calm in the way I like my ambient, but it’s not busy enough or dynamic enough to work as a pop tune either. I’m going to give this the bonus berry simply because, while I wouldn’t classify this as “ambient” myself, RYM applied two different genre tags that have “ambient” in them so who am I to argue there.

Reward:
Bonus:

Nekov: Kyte – Scratches

First Impressions:
First song since round 1 I’ve had to listen to outside of Spotify, damn you! Immediate impression is that this is going to be in the synthpop lane somewhere. Okay, those vocals were definitely not what I was expecting. I’m not sure how I feel about them. This has some decent groove at least but uhh yeah… I just wish the vocals were more melodic. The chorus is pretty good but mostly because it’s driven by a much more melodic vocalist than the verses. I can see that getting stuck in my head though. Vocals on parts of this are… questionable, but there’s enough that works here that I could see myself getting decently into it.

Final Thoughts:
The chorus of this is quite good. The production of this is pretty good too. Nice and glossy and glittery with a simple but solid 4/4 groove running throughout it. And the melody on the chorus is pretty solid and delivered well enough by the female vocalist. The production gets some nice swell to match it too.

What the actual hell is the male vocalist doing in this song though. Why does he sound like that. What is the intent of sounding like that. It obviously has to be intentional but I’m sorry, I just do not at all see the appeal. His voice outright sounds scratchy and breathy, it’s almost 100% texture with very little melody to speak of, and any melody is really low-pitched and muted anyways. He gets drowned out in the chorus and honestly that’s for the best.

And there’s… nothing else to talk about with this one. It’s three minutes long and literally just intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus and it’s immediately done after that. Considering the verses take up more than half of the song, that’s about half the song that does nothing or just flat annoys me. The strength of the chorus can make up for that a little bit, and it’s a pretty fun chorus, yeah, but I don’t see myself wanting to listen to this one again considering how much I just flat don’t like the main vocalist.

Reward:

Dacul: Weyes Blood – Movies

First Impressions:
I listened to this a few times and couldn’t get into it. I remember this song title and my initial reaction was a negative one, meaning I might’ve not cared for this one when I did check out this album? We’ll see. That synth arpeggio is one thing that immediately stands out as an “I’m not sure this was necessary” kind of element, though. This entire thing has a very… free-flowing vibe to it. She has a nice voice and the melodies are pleasant but it feels just a bit… rambly? I dunno, at the very least it’s not quite working for me but I don’t find it unpleasant either. I think because the arpeggio is there as a rhythmic element while the rest of the song is kind of lacking that rhythm, it ends up feeling a bit awkward to me, but that may just be a me thing. The ending has a pretty solid climax too, and an actually rhythmic one, so, alright. A bit hard to grasp this one initially as it takes a while to really come together but it’s got an overall nice vibe to it that I could see growing on me.

Final Thoughts:
I feel like if this was a Julia Holter song the only difference would be that that arpeggio would be gone and that the vocals would be a bit… different? Better? I like Holter’s voice more than Mering’s but I can’t quite describe why? It’s not really that relevant, they both sound pretty fine and tend to be the best part of their music.

But yeah. There’s a sense of ambient pop to the overall sound, except then you have this strictly rhythmic element going on the whole time that just flat does not fit in, it’s a baffling addition to me that just undercuts the entire song for me since it’s an element that runs throughout the entire song, even when the synths switch to strings towards the end.

It’s especially frustrating because a lot of the rest of this I do see the appeal of. There’s a very lush atmosphere to this track, and a lot of the layers of vocals come together well to have some real power to them. I do feel there’s a bit of a lack of… coherent melody, even still, I find it hard to find the rhythm of this song before the percussion comes in, but the amount of swell in the overall sound is still satisfying.

And the ending bit’s cool. I like the offkilter rhythm, albeit I still think the vocals fail to really capitalize on any of the rhythm and still feel a bit rambly. I think that’s just one of my problems with this song overall, it feels like a lot of elements mixed together that could work on isolation or if you took one element out it’d improve the whole package, but it sort of feels like the vocals just weren’t written to slot into this instrumentation period? They feel strangely disconnected the whole time. Like, I can gripe about the arpeggio all I want but I think if the vocals were gone it wouldn’t clash as bad either.

Like I said I’ve spun this album a few times before and could never get too into it, and this one doesn’t have me running back to check it out again, it just doesn’t feel like a very cohesive tune to me. There’s power and atmosphere in there but nothing ever comes together quite right and it ends up feeling like a bit of a mess. I kind of remember some of Julia Holter’s other work outside of Have You In My Wilderness having some of the same problems for me though so maybe that’s really just a symptom of a genre I’m generally not too keen on.

Oh and I don’t have any interest in film or movies whatsoever really so I can’t relate to the lyrics in any way, but that’s not really relevant either.

Reward:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1158 on: November 29, 2019, 06:06:57 PM »
Buddyhunter1: Pendulum – Crush

First Impressions:
I actually listened to a few tracks off this album earlier this year but, I didn’t get very far. I don’t know if I even got this far. Regardless of how much I like this song I already don’t plan to go back to this album. This seems more like a rock-oriented song with electronic elements than anything, pretty immediately. I get why you’d send this after your last song, though. It’s got that same upbeat energy to it and it’s more vocal-centric than some other stuff I’ve heard from the artist (which I think is true of the Anamanaguchi song too?). I don’t think this has the same vibe necessarily but I do find it solidly enjoyable. It’s pretty fun  and upbeat though in this case I wouldn’t say it sounds as fresh as its most obvious comparison in this roulette.

Final Thoughts:
Immediately I will say that this is probably the catchiest song of the round for me. Though the verse melodies more than the chorus, honestly. One of the melodies in the verses sounds like How Far I’ll Go from Moana, a movie I’ve never watched and a song I’ve only heard a handful of times. Being compared to Disney is, for the record, not a bad thing. This album predates that movie by quite a bit, anyways.

The guitar riff this song is built on is solid even if it’s a bit… one-note? It’s got energy to it even if most of the phrases are just hitting the same note over and over. I guess it’s all the elements complimenting the guitars that give this a sense of energy. The drums are also pretty straightforward with a pretty common groove but they work fine. The synths are a bit more active and melodic. The whole sound is basically a pump-up anthem.

And there’s the random clean bit at the end that… well, I like it on its own but it feels like, instead of having a climax, the song decided to just fizzle out for no real reason? Like if this was a clean bit that was followed up by some huge final chorus or at least some kind of heavier riffing, it’d be a great bridge, but it’s… the outro. Anyways, it’s not a huge gripe as I can maybe see what they were going for there, even if I’m not sure I agree on the direction taken.

Anyways, I like this to some extent but it feels… too shallow for me to really get into, overall. It’s not as good as I remember The Fountain being (which I haven’t gone back to relisten to), it’s just a solid and energetic rock tune that doesn’t really aspire to be much more and isn’t really going to keep me coming back to it either. Can’t say there’s any real problems with it besides the weak ending but even ignoring that I don’t think this would’ve gotten a higher score regardless.

Reward:

ariich: Everything Everything – To The Blade

First Impressions:
Well my first impression is obviously of the vocalist, and I’m not so sure about his voice… especially that falsetto doesn’t sound great, but this tone doesn’t do much for me in general and WOW that kicked in real suddenly. Alright, well, he sounds a bit better when there’s music accompanying him, and I’m digging this guitar work too. I don’t really feel like much else has come into the song in the minute and a half since the first post-chorus though? The drumwork is solid too, I guess. This song doesn’t have the same mixing problems several others this round do, but right now I’m kind of wishing it did ‘cause I’m not huge on the vocals here, even if the rest is pretty solid.

Final Thoughts:
Actually the vocals are mostly fine except his falsetto is just. Not good. Flat out. Stop doing that dude, you don’t have a good falsetto, just accept that, move on, and don’t sing in such a painstakingly nasal and weak high pitch, god. He sounds fine otherwise though. The vocal melodies in general are pretty good.

The way the song kicks in is honestly really cool though, not even any buildup to it, it just hits hard. The kind of moment that feels like it should be accompanied with an audible “slam” sound effect. Of course the song only gets one chance to do that but it uses it well. The chorus itself is pretty good too, really. I feel like his falsetto sounds better on the chorus for whatever reason? The verse after the first chorus he still doesn’t sound great but the chorus actually sounds fine, maybe because it’s even higher-pitched and he’s basically full-on belting instead of this middling low wail.

Enough about the vocals. That guitar riff is groovy as hell and the drumwork is energetic and interesting to match it pretty well. It makes that post-chorus probably the most exciting part of this entire song. The part without the falsetto is the best part, go figure. Nah, but I do dig it a lot. It certainly sounds a lot more lively than the rest of the song’s relaxed groove and makes for a good contrast.

Overall I think there’s elements here that do work well, but the song really feels like it could use a better singer, or at least a singer who knows his range well. I’ll shut up about the falsetto, I promise. It’s got solid groove and energy, it’s pretty structurally simple but doesn’t really get boring or feel overly repetitive. It’s not one of the best rock tunes this roulette, for sure, but it’s still pretty solid stuff. Would be better without the fals- no, I said I’d stop. That’s really my only major problem with this though.

Reward:

Bolsters: Emma Louise – Atlas Eyes

First Impressions:
I’m genuinely surprised you didn’t just send a troll entry with a bonus theme for the guaranteed qualification since you really easily could have, but I mean, I appreciate getting an actual song and all. There’s a pretty nice soundscape going on in this one though, driven a lot by the drums and the twinkly guitar lines. And the vocals are pretty solid too. There’s a lot of, like, weird samples in the background I’m not as keen on though but ehh they’re buried enough to not bother me too much. I don’t know if it feels like the song ever really… goes anywhere? It does have a bit of a climax towards the end but most of the time feels like it’s just running on at the same general level. Pleasant and kind of neat little song, I can point out little nitpicks here and there but it’s still overall solid.

Final Thoughts:
Part of me wants to not even bother with this writeup because it literally doesn’t matter, you had a low, low bar to clear this round and this vaulted way over it anyways. But nah, we’ll give this an honest shot. This isn’t your best song so far, but it isn’t your worst either. It’s perfectly average for a Bolsters entry.

I’m still pretty hung up on the samples. I don’t understand what they add here. They’re just… there, sometimes. Primarily after the choruses, it seems like. It’s fine to have some empty space without voices.

Voices. The vocals. She’s a pretty good singer. I don’t get the sense from this song that she has a powerful voice, since the delivery here is pretty restrained throughout the song, even during its loudest moments she’s still cooing gently with a silky smooth voice and probably staying within a single octave tonally throughout the entire song, or so it feels. Not the most impressive or dynamic performance, I guess, but it’s more than sufficient and I like her voice.

The instrumentation, too, it’s basically a post-rock song if you strip away the vocals. Heck, that’s probably why the samples are there to begin with, it’s a very post-rock type of thing to put in samples for no goddamn reason because GY!BE did it and everyone likes them, right? But I mean, yeah, there isn’t any real melodic hook to this like with the Mree song, just a lot of atmosphere and texture that’s all pretty dreamy. It’s a very nice-sounding song.

It’s a very nice-sounding song. I think that summarizes this entire thing up pretty well. Aside from the samples there’s nothing here I really have to complain about and it’s all generally in the ballpark of the kind of sound I like out of this kind of dream-pop or whatever you call this. Doesn’t resonate with me especially strongly but I’ve at least liked it well enough on every listen I’ve given to it, even if I don’t feel it’s particularly deep or memorable.

Reward:

Elite: Ørkenkjøtt – Livets Frø
Theme: Foreign Language Prog Metal

First Impressions:
Alright, end us off on a high note. One of only two metal notes, at least? Please? Vocalist vaguely reminds me of Einar though not quite as high-pitched. I see this wanting to explode into a metal song though it seems to be taking its time to get there. Lots of interesting & kind of off-kilter melodies going on with the guitars on this one, too. It got metal for a moment then backed off to an acoustic guitar bit. Oh and now it’s fast. Hello, fast. You’re suspiciously absent from a lot of this round. The kind of choppy guitar sound isn’t necessarily my favorite, but. There’s definitely a kind of Opeth sound to bits of this too, especially the moments where the heavy & clean guitars are playing at the same time. I don’t think this is immediately standing out as especially interesting or amazing (or as unique as I’d like) but I like the overall sound and it stays interesting & dynamic the whole way through regardless.

Final Thoughts:
Uhh, I’m less thrilled by this one than I want to be, I think. It’s the one metal track this round (of the two, so, low bar) that actually has an interesting overall sound to it. I feel like I’ve heard the first section of this done better by other bands though. Spires, a band I’m always less into than I want to be, has a similar kind of sound going on, with kind of off-kilter melodies and generally midtempo metal, though also driven a bit more by the bass in their case, while this is more guitar-driven for sure.

The pacing of this song is weird as hell, though. It takes its sweet time getting to the first really heavy moment of the song and it feels like the song should naturally build off that into something more, but the song decides it’s had enough of that tempo and just abruptly changes into a completely different song. There’s really nothing in common between the first and second half of this song; even the guitar tones sound different, they’re choppier and the riffing is a lot more jagged.

And to be clear, I like the second half of this song more than the first half. The riffing here doesn’t quite have the tone I’d want (it feels too… crispy? choppy? a bit lacking in power?) but the riffing itself is pretty cool, the scale they’re using here is pretty interesting and leads to some notably strange melodies in the chord hits between the faster chugging. The way the song shifts between a 6/8 feel and 4/4 feel smoothly is also pretty cool. I feel like it does end a bit abruptly though… like that guitar lead at the end feels like it should evolve into a more fleshed-out solo but instead the song just… dies out.

I feel like this is a case where I want to like the song more than I do, especially since in this round, something this prog and metal really feels needed. It doesn’t feel like a stellar example of such, but I do still enjoy it a solid bit and there’s elements of this I could see really working for me if the songwriting in general felt more cohesive. As it stands it’s a pretty decent prog metal cut though.

Reward:
Bonus:

Puppies_On_Acid: Hopesfall – To Bloom

First Impressions:
For some reason I recognize this artist & album cover though I don’t think I’ve ever listened to them? Or if I have I don’t remember it. This definitely has post-hardcore vibes but the mixing is absolutely baffling, you can hardly hear the vocals! Even the growls. The music itself seems… solid, the riffs aren’t bad at all and there’s a solid balance of melody in there. It’s not the djent-y side of post-hardcore anyways, so that’s good. There’s also no real hook here so I don’t know if I’m going to find it that memorable? But I mean, it’s a solid sound, I don’t see this getting anything lower than a 3 just on style alone. A sound I generally like and it seems like a solid example of it but poor mixing really doesn’t flatter this one.

Final Thoughts:
If y’all want to see how stupendously cheap and free it is to get high scores with post-hardcore in this roulette, look no further than this song. All my initial gripes still hold up – the mixing is baffling and the overall sound is a touch muddy, a touch lacking in memorability. It’s not an amazing example of the genre – hell, most of the songs on last year’s Cursive album that I listened to just yesterday are better, and most of the other bands I’ve been listening to recently impress me more than this – yet I mean, I still do like this a lot and I hear some potential in this sound, for sure.

For one, while I wouldn’t call this or post-hardcore in general “metal” it’s still got a nice, heavy sound – probably as heavy as or heavier than either of the actual metal songs I got in this round, honestly. But that heaviness doesn’t come at the expense of melody – there’s some –core-ier riffs in this but they don’t lack for melodic flair and often there’s another layer of guitar leads playing off them – really, there seems to be at least one lead guitar throughout the majority of this on top of the riffing itself, which I really appreciate.

The memorability factor does take a hit here for me – I still don’t really come away from this with a good grasp of how it sounds other than “well it sounds like post-hardcore”. There’s no chorus or even verse that I can find, it’s a long string of different moments that are strung together solidly and cohesively enough. It’s actually vaguely prog at points? Or at least some of this has shifting time signature stuff going on, even if it’s not really given much focus. It’s an element that keeps it interesting, at the very least.

Anyways, yeah, overall? Pretty solid stuff. The weakest round winner to date, for sure, more due to its lack of memorability that I feel is almost essential to the genre, but the overall sound of this one appeals to me more than anything else in this round did. It’s not especially emotionally resonant, hell, I can barely make out the lyrics, and when I looked them up they’re… a bit incomprehensible, honestly. I don’t know if I’m going to find something particularly interesting when I check out this album, but I’m at least glad I heard it.

Reward:
Round Winner Bonus:

Current Standings:
Bolsters: 32; +2 in the final round
Elite: 31; +2 in the final round
------------------------------
Evermind: 27
Puppies_On_Acid: 27
ariich: 26
Dacul: 25
TAC: 24
Nekov: 24
Buddyhunter1: 24
Train of Naught: 21

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1159 on: November 29, 2019, 06:10:16 PM »
There's a decent possibility this round will be the last one before the finals, since 3-4 people are in what I'd call "qualifying range". Whoever wins the next round is almost guaranteed to make it to the next round, barring one person or a particularly weak overall round.

If this round isn't the last one then uuuhhh. We might have a pretty large final round with how close a lot of the scores are  :lol Train can't really qualify unless this goes the full 10 rounds at this point, barring the miracle of a 5/5 + 2-point bonus + 2-point round winner bonus (which, you know, not 100% impossible) but.

Everyone who needs to send, please send by 6 PM PST on December 1st! Holy COW it's already almost december, what the hell

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1160 on: November 29, 2019, 06:11:09 PM »
EDIT-Answered my question.

@ Evermind...you're welcome. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1161 on: November 29, 2019, 06:24:52 PM »
I’m genuinely surprised you didn’t just send a troll entry with a bonus theme for the guaranteed qualification since you really easily could have
It did cross my mind. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Roulette v6 (Round 8 Results!)
« Reply #1162 on: November 29, 2019, 06:26:10 PM »
Updated the Usual Three.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1163 on: November 29, 2019, 06:27:37 PM »
Hmm. Well, I didn't do well, but the scores are so close that there still miiiiight be a slim chance I can make it to the EP round?

If you say you're gonna listen to EPs sent to you eventually, even if the sender got eliminated, I might try my luck at sending some stuff that I wasn't going to put on it. Ponder ponder ponder.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1164 on: November 29, 2019, 06:29:27 PM »
the eventually will be in like January or later but yeah. i doubt i'll do in-depth writeups for EPs sent after the roulette either but i will listen to them at some point
also, you did above average for this round, technically  :P

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1165 on: November 29, 2019, 06:35:13 PM »
Ranking has no impact on the score aside from first place here, unfortunately for me.  :lol

Anyways hey maybe you will get some more metal from me after all. Will have to think about it
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1166 on: November 29, 2019, 07:42:46 PM »
Sent for round 9
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1167 on: November 29, 2019, 08:20:07 PM »
Shucks :lol I think you’ll like my next one more though!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1168 on: November 30, 2019, 07:28:36 AM »
So I don’t have to send for next round?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1169 on: November 30, 2019, 07:29:01 AM »

You do in my roulette!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1170 on: November 30, 2019, 09:32:17 AM »
nope! in fact, if you do send, i won't listen to it for at least a month, tbh :V

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1171 on: November 30, 2019, 11:46:56 AM »

You do in my roulette!

I know!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1172 on: November 30, 2019, 05:04:33 PM »
I think the arpeggio is beautiful, and the contrast between all the elements works very well with the theme of the song, about wanting your life to be like in the movies, for everything to revolve around you and having a proper meaning, a clear direction - a simple and complete life.

Thought this was gonna be my last round, so I'll send tomorrow :P

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: December 01, 2019, 01:24:28 AM »

I was sure he would like it! That doesn't bode well for my EP :lol

Sending in a few minutes.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1174 on: December 01, 2019, 01:32:49 AM »
people seem to generally misunderstand what i like about the metal i like so i'm not too surprised  :P
probably the reason more round winners have been non-metal than metal stuff. i think only rounds 3 and 5 had a metal song win the round, though in a few places it was close (and in retrospect like i said the round winner of round 3 would be different if i did the results today)

i'm gonna send out reminder PMs to everyone who hasn't sent before i go to bed tonight, so

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1175 on: December 01, 2019, 01:50:24 AM »
Sent!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1176 on: December 01, 2019, 05:49:15 AM »

I was sure he would like it! That doesn't bode well for my EP :lol

Doesn't bode well for mine either since it probably took me out of the running for even making one. :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: December 01, 2019, 06:02:06 AM »
Maybe you'll win this round and show us all how it's done!

Honestly I hope for 3 berries but I sent metal this time so I'm probably screwed

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1178 on: December 01, 2019, 09:06:12 AM »
Sending soon, was out and about all of yesterday

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1179 on: December 01, 2019, 10:20:50 AM »
we're t-minus 9 hours from the deadline and i'm still missing half the songs  :lol
maybe i'll extend it to monday since holiday weekend, but also i don't think the people i'm waiting on are in the US? not all of them are at least

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1180 on: December 01, 2019, 10:27:07 AM »
I sent a few mins ago.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1181 on: December 01, 2019, 01:57:09 PM »
Sent.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1182 on: December 01, 2019, 03:19:47 PM »
Sent!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1183 on: December 01, 2019, 03:25:47 PM »
unsurprisingly now everyone is sending metal. who could've predicted that  :corn

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1184 on: December 01, 2019, 03:45:48 PM »
You reap what you sow.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1185 on: December 01, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »
i was not complaining about it, if it came off that way

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1186 on: December 01, 2019, 07:08:30 PM »
I wish to retroactively use The End - Elementary for the first round of your last roulette after seeing your review of it on RYM.  :biggrin: :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1187 on: December 01, 2019, 07:28:07 PM »
two roulettes ago but i know what you mean. alright. you sent absu the round after that and got eliminated for it being worse than any album in that round.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1188 on: December 01, 2019, 07:54:14 PM »
two roulettes ago but i know what you mean. alright. you sent absu the round after that and got eliminated for it being worse than any album in that round.
Was that really 2 roulettes ago? Jeez, where does the time go... :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1189 on: December 01, 2019, 11:06:08 PM »
i still don't have nekov's song but i know he's not around on weekends so i'm not gonna penalize for it if i can get his song by 8 AM PST tomorrow. i'll put up the hangman at about that time too whether or not i have his song. gonna start first impressions now, meant to do it earlier but then spent a whole 5 hours writing a video script, OOPS