PLACE YOUR BETS!

Sacul, The Dominator
3 (42.9%)
Cyril, The Former Champion
0 (0%)
Kattleox, Cheater Of Death
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Roulette v4: Post-Roulette Updates: Sacul  (Read 43286 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette v4: Post-Roulette Updates: Sacul
« Reply #1015 on: January 18, 2020, 07:46:41 PM »
Hey hey hey hey hey. Time for another post-roulette update. This time it's from Sacul! You sent a lot of great songs this roulette, so hopefully the albums were good too. :neverusethis:

Indukti - Idmen

I knew going into this that most of it was instrumental so I kept my expectations low, but yeah... this was kinda disappointing. With how good And Who's The God Now?! was I expected to at least enjoy the other two non-instrumental songs, but honestly those two might have been the weakest on the album. Well, I can't even remember much about the third one. The first one where the vocalist from Sleepytime Gorilla Museum sings about the mouse that kills the hawk is fucking awful. :lol I have no idea who looked at those lyrics and thought they were passable. The instrumentals are fine but not particularly interesting apart from the world music-esque instrumentation, which wasn't enough to win me over.

Obscure Sphinx - Void Mother

This is pretty easily the best album I've discovered out of this roulette. I already gave it quite a bit of praise in my top albums of the decade list (of which it barely squeezed into at #20), but to re-iterate what I said there, I absolutely love the oppressively dark atmosphere throughout, and the beefy as hell guitar riffs. There's a few caveman riffs here and there, but most of the time they work well. :lol I still think Lunar Caustic is great, but thankfully it wasn't even the best song on the album. I love the slow, dreary, and haunting Waiting For The Bodies Down The River Floating, and In The Presence Of Goddess... man. What an amazing closer. One of the most epic songs I've heard in a long, long time. Decimation is kind of a clunker and brings the record down a little, but every other track on the record ranges from good to amazing. Thanks a bunch for introducing me to this! I also checked out their other two albums but I found both to be pretty disappointing... I can forgive the debut for not being up to snuff but their follow-up to this record was such a massive step down in quality. :-\ I'll still keep an eye on this band though; hopefully they'll put out at least one more great album in the future.

Have A Nice Life - Deathconsciousness

First of all, I have to say that Bloodhail has only gotten better for me over time - retroactively I'd easily rank it over the Indukti track, and I might even consider it to be the best song I received in the roulette. Nothing else on this album reaches the same heights for me, but that's a pretty high bar to clear. As for the record as a whole... it's certainly an experience, I'll give it that much. It's definitely one of the most depressing albums I've ever heard, almost to the point where just listening to it puts me in a noticeably drearier mood. :lol In that sense it's definitely a "mood album". Not something I'd spin that often, and not one of those albums where I can pick out too many songs that work well on their own, but definitely a haunting and well-constructed record as a whole. The production can be a bit too distorted at times, some of the songs are a bit too drone-y for my tastes, and the second half of the record isn't as strong as the first, but I'll definitely give this one more listens in the future.

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

I wouldn't call this one of my favorites or anything, but I definitely like it. Compared to the Hooverphonic album you sent, I'd definitely crown this one as the superior trip-hop record. This was another album where the song you sent in the roulette was easily the best, but there certainly are some other highlights. I was already somewhat familiar with the Leprous cover of Angel, so it's no surprise I enjoyed it on here. The title track also has some really infectious grooves on it, mixed with the excellent dark atmosphere that most of the record does really well. I wish Daddy G had more vocals on this thing; I liked his rapping on Risingson but apart from that he's like, barely on the record! I guess he focuses more on the production side of things, which I suppose is fine, given how good the production generally is. I don't know if I'm in a hurry to dive deeper into the Massive Attack catalog, but I'm happy to have this one in my collection.

BONUS: Obsidian Kingdom - Mantiis

These last two album covers are surprisingly similar. :lol Anyways, this wasn't sent in the roulette, and the main reason I listened to it was seeing it appear in several peoples' best of the decade list, but you did include it in your bonus albums, so hey, might as well cover it here. I actually got the three song run of Oncoming Dark / Through The Glass / Cinnamon Balls in my previous roulette, and I enjoyed those quite a bit. That said, you can definitely listen to just those three tracks and pretty much get all this album has to offer. I get that they were trying to make this album really cohesive and holistic, but it's just way too same-y for me. Having an entire album be the same tempo is a bad idea and no album I've heard to date has shown me otherwise! The first half of the record is pretty good, but after Last Of The Light I feel like they've already stretched the sound to its limit, and the remainder of the album is just recycling the same ideas and not putting any interesting spin on them. Don't get me wrong, I like the sound of this album a lot, but it's just too monotonous for me to really get behind, unfortunately...

Next post-roulette update will be albums from Ruba, and will likely be the last of the single participant-focused updates before I end things off with one or two miscellaneous updates.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1