Author Topic: October 11th. New Jersey Show Review  (Read 1272 times)

Offline tjanuranus

October 11th. New Jersey Show Review
« on: October 12, 2019, 09:02:38 AM »
This was my 38th dream theater show and the third show for me for this setlist. I saw 2 last leg and 1 this leg.
I've been traveling a lot for work and wasn't sure I could make this so I didn't buy a ticket until last minute. Good thing I did because I got two tickets for FIRST ROW in the orchestra pit in front of myung for face value. Was incredible!

The Sound was shockingly good in that seat. I honestly thought It wouldn't be very good there but they have special speakers around the first few rows and the mix was awesome. The subs in there were kick ass. That was one of the better sounding shows I've been to as far as personal experience.

Performance was top notch as usual but especially James. I felt this was one of his better nights I've seen. He was pretty much nailing the SFAM stuff.

The only thing I miss from the old days is the energy. I'm not sure what it is but the whole first set almost everyone was sitting. I was not going to stand and be the only one since I'm in the front row but it really does suck some of the energy out of the room for hard rock and metal songs. James actually "joked" around telling people to stand but then played it off as a joke.

During the intermission I asked the people around me if they would be cool with standing and every one of them said "YES, not sure why we aren't"  :rollin

So The second half was a much better experience energy wise as not only did we stand but many more people were standing.

Last thing I'll mention as far as "missing" is impromptu things and potential surprise in song choice but I've come to accept this as the way it is now.

Overall it was an awesome show and can't wait to see them again.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: October 11th. New Jersey Show Review
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 04:53:45 PM »
Agree!

I was on the opposite side. Front row inner aisle on JP's side. The sound really surprised me. I don't know if it was being at the front, or the venue sound system is that good, but everything sounded very clear (much much better than the philly venue from April).

I do agree that the crowd was a little dead. I didn't stand up because no one on my side did, and being front row, I didn't want to be that guy. I got up at TSCO and stayed up until the end. I think part of it came from the band though. JP and JR looked tired and bored at times (except when soloing). JLB was amazing though (and his new tattoo looks great).

I would've wished for a different setlist than the first leg but won't complain because as I said, it sounded much better this time around. Plus, the show from April had a few technical difficulties when it came to sound.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline geeeemo

Re: October 11th. New Jersey Show Review
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 11:33:32 AM »
So as far as the standing thing.  I have front row in Reno coming up.  I wonder if asking those around me before the show starts if they mind if I stand...Maybe many want to stand, but they are sitting waiting for the show to begin, and then it begins and everyone is sitting - and no one wants to be the first one to stand if no one else is going to.   IMO sitting just isn't right at metal concert on the floor. I feel it is disrespectful to the band - we can boogie for a few hours!!    :yarr