Poll

Please vote for the song that you'd like to see win each match

The Mirror
16 (51.6%)
The Glass Prison
15 (48.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: October 13, 2019, 05:49:31 AM

Author Topic: Dream Theater The League - Week 31 Match of the Week  (Read 724 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Dream Theater The League - Week 31 Match of the Week
« on: October 11, 2019, 05:49:31 AM »
Match of the Week.

Please vote for the song that you'd like to see win this match.

The Mirror vs. The Glass Prison

48 hours to vote.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Dream Theater The League - Week 31 Match of the Week
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 06:03:25 AM »
The Mirror. Heavy as fuck with just three notes. Da-da-da da-da-da da-da-da.... furthermore, it's the song that got me into DT  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 06:39:46 AM »
Wow this is not a match I thought about when thinking of tough ones with good songs.
The Glass Prison was once my favorite, The Mirror also moves me very much, I love both so much but The Mirror has one of the best DT outros and The Glass Prison has the opposite, so this is the tie breaker.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 06:42:47 AM »
The Mirror has one of the best DT outros and The Glass Prison has the opposite, so this is the tie breaker.

I'm glad The Mirror so far got all the votes, but what's wrong with the end of The Glass Prison? the whole ending section starting from "Way off in the distance I saw a door..." is fantastic. It's so fitting that I thought it was the actual end of the whole theme and I was surprised when This Dying Soul came out... "Ah, so there's more?"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 08:19:30 AM »
TGP
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 09:36:43 AM »
A good, but not great, song against possibly the most overrated song in DT's catalog.

TGP by a wide margin.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 11:12:56 AM »
Glass Prison is longer. That's my tiebreaker.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 11:19:54 AM »
The Glass Prison but barely. They’re both middle of the pack songs for me, but the intro to TGP is the best opening to any Dream Theater album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 11:23:01 AM »
The Glass Prison
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »
The glass prison

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 04:35:36 PM »
The Mirror has one of the best DT outros and The Glass Prison has the opposite, so this is the tie breaker.

I'm glad The Mirror so far got all the votes, but what's wrong with the end of The Glass Prison? the whole ending section starting from "Way off in the distance I saw a door..." is fantastic. It's so fitting that I thought it was the actual end of the whole theme and I was surprised when This Dying Soul came out... "Ah, so there's more?"
I think it's too out there after the instrumental. Why slow down that fast section to get in such a mouthful piece? Additionally I just don't get why the section is as revered as it is, it's just "alright" to me... Now that I think of it I just seem not to like stopping solos for a chorus at the end of the song. I have this problem with Fall into the Light as well.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 04:24:58 AM »

The Mirror