Author Topic: How Much Longer Will DT Tour?  (Read 3950 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
How Much Longer Will DT Tour?
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:51:12 AM »
My boys and I were talking last night (They're 9,12 and 13) and the subject of the ages of the DT band members came up. JLB is 56, JMX and JP are 52 and JR is 62. I told them that in my estimation or guess they had about (2) more albums that they'd keep their touring habits on.

This current tour isn't going to end until Spring of next year....say they take the summer off then record again fall/early winter of 2020. That's a release date of that CD in maybe Summer of 21'? So they're all 2 years older. (58,54, 64)  If they stick to their current habit they'd basically tour at least a year.....putting them at summer of 22'.....maybe take off the fall and perhaps record again in spring of 23'......so, release date end of year 23'?

Meaning touring would start spring of 24? so now they're (61, 57, 67) Throw the year or so tour in.....at the end of that Rudess is 68-69?

I think the unknown would be can JR continue touring? Would he want to?

I think they all have TONS more music to gift us....I see them all providing us killer music for years and years to come. But, I don't see how they keep up the touring pace past the next couple albums. Which, really bums my kids out. They've seen them three times now (youngest just saw them for the first time) and they're already lamenting the fact that they have limited time to see them live.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

Re: How Much Longer Will DT Tour?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 09:01:52 AM »
I think that when you're doing something you like and you love, only health can stop you, not age.

I'm sure many musicians when they're young think "No way I can do this when I'm old", but then you hit 40 and you're going strong, you hit 50 and you're going strong, you find yourself at 60 still healthy.... it's not only a financial factor, for a musician this is their life, their passion, they can't see themselves doing anything else, so they just carry on.

Take a look at Iron Maiden, it's 10 years or more that we're bracing for their retirement, and they continue going strong.

So my answer for DT is that the end of their touring days cannot be foreseen just looking at their age. Health or a severe loss of interest and passion will stop them, not a birthday.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:13:26 AM »
So my answer for DT is that the end of their touring days cannot be foreseen just looking at their age. Health or a severe loss of interest and passion will stop them, not a birthday.

I totally agree  and that's why I say JR is the wild card. When I met the gang in Nashville this past April......given it was midnight and they'd just spent all day long meet and greeting and playing.....but JR looked cashed. Moving slow....just tired and done. Comparatively the others were very 'awake' and seemingly not phased by the days events.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 09:15:07 AM »
Well, King Crimson are touring now, Yes are also touring and Van der Graaf Generator will tour next year.
They are all much older than Dream Theater....

I think they can tour for quite some time still

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 09:30:27 AM »
The amount of bands that are much older and still touring is kind of amazing.   I saw The Who a month ago for example.  I think there's still a lot of gas in the tank for DT, but of course everything does come to an end.  I think they got at least 10 more years in them if things continue going well.  JR as the oldest will be a big factor, but keys aren't as demanding as drums.  He may be able to continue well into his 70s if he wants.  Obviously I think the touring will slow down big time in the next few cycles as all those other bands still around don't tour like they used to, but I don't see them stopping any time soon.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »
One of the biggest complaints I see about DT is how "boring" and "not animated" their shows are. That might be their saving grace as they approach 70  :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 10:36:33 AM »
Well crud - I feel like I will be 65-70 in no time.  :omg:  My son who is almost 21 now has been saying for the last 4 years (since he got into metal ) "we need to see all the great old bands before they kick the bucket!" So has been doing the tour.  Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, DT, Scorpions, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest (sounds great, but man he was moving slow!) Slayer, Testament. 

Lucky boy! My parents definitely weren't into rock or concerts and the ones I went to were crummy seats. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 11:28:48 AM »
I saw John McLaughlin play two years ago on his farewell tour, at the age of 75.  His music is at least as complex as Dream Theater's, and he was still a machine. 

As long as they remain clear of major health issues, and continue to want to do it, they will keep doing it.

And your initial speculation sounds about right.  James said the other night that they would be back around in 2021.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 11:29:34 AM »
A factor (for me at least) is the level at which they can play as they get older. They've set such a high standard of technicality and musicianship and virtuosity - how long can they maintain that level night in and night out over the course of a tour? As on the current tour, how hard will it be to play passages like the end of ItPoE Pt 1 live in 5-10 years? I don't play guitar or keys so maybe it's not as hard I would think it would be, but that looks hard enough to play now let alone being 60+ years old (70 in JR's case) and trying to pull that off.

I just don't want it to get to a point where the live show is watered down and they appear to be a shell of themselves. I can't imagine it will ever get to that point, but I would hope they would go out while still on top of their game.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
The two you gotta worry about are James (for obvious reasons) and Mangini (I doubt he'll be able to play, or at least safely play, some of the stuff DT plays now, in 10+ years). James's voice is literally part of his body and naturally degrades over time but unless they reel in their pool of live songs to something softer and more gentle on his voice it's going to destroy him. I do not want to hear Dream Theater's version of Ozzy Osbourne because they won't drop the 90s material when James is 65. I already don't want to hear it as is.  :lol

Vladimir Horowitz, one of my favorite pianists (and truly a pianist in his own league) toured and recorded up through his mid-80s, playing up until he passed at the ripe age of 86. No reason Jordan can't go the distance as well, as he's an extraordinarily gifted musician and seems to be in fine health. Same goes for Petrucci and Myung.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 12:32:32 PM »

I totally agree  and that's why I say JR is the wild card. When I met the gang in Nashville this past April......given it was midnight and they'd just spent all day long meet and greeting and playing.....but JR looked cashed. Moving slow....just tired and done. Comparatively the others were very 'awake' and seemingly not phased by the days events.

I actually think that JLB is the wildcard as he has the hardest job in the band and that voice won't last forever. But I think that they will have to adjust with JR by going on at either 7:00 or 7:30 and maybe doing shorter shows.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 12:34:36 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 02:41:18 PM »
I wish DT would cover that song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »
I wish DT would cover that song.
That would be so awesome.

Here would be another great cover idea for them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhqf2eTuU1g

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 07:10:10 PM »

I saw my first DT show in 2000 and it was Scenes from a Memory. This year my latest DT show was also Scenes. It'd be awesome if this was only the halfway point of my DT show career. They are already godlike musicians. Maybe they are immortal too?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 07:21:51 PM »
Given their ages and how long they have been doing this, I would not be surprised to wake up tomorrow and read a press release saying that one of them decided to leave the band/retire due to fatigue or burn out or any other reason.  14 albums and 30 years in, I find it best to enjoy anything we still get.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 07:28:07 PM »
I've said this before but the major concerns are James and Jordan.

James' voice obviously won't be the same in 10 years, as it's the only "instrument" that can't be replaced or taken to a repair shop, and 30+ years of touring and belting it out definitely take a toll on someone's voice. Here, they could either retire a lot of songs from the live sets, which is fine considering they have a big enough catalog, or just play the songs in a lower tuning/tonality like the IAW songs in 2017.
Obviously they could always find a younger guy who could nail everything, but that would have to be James' decision to retire, as they seem quite happy with him and wouldn't replace him out of the blue, even if he's been a bit inconsistent in the last few tours.

As for Jordan, I don't think we should worry about his playing abilitiy past 65, just look at Chick Corea, who's still playing flawlessly at age 78. However, there's a chance he might want to retire from the "big" touring life and just focus more on his family, plus doing all kinds of smaller projects. It's all the touring and messy schedules that take a toll on you, more than actually mantaining the chops to play DT material every night (which is quite impressive as it is). More than getting "too old for this", I feel like Jordan would just want a lifestyle change before actually getting too od for anything else.

Given their ages and how long they have been doing this, I would not be surprised to wake up tomorrow and read a press release saying that one of them decided to leave the band/retire due to fatigue or burn out or any other reason.  14 albums and 30 years in, I find it best to enjoy anything we still get.

As I was about to post, this appeared, and I agree, this makes a lot of sense.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Volante99

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 10:58:27 PM »
Now that Portnoy is out of the picture the DT OGs are probably making more money now than they ever have so I think we’re safe for about 7-10 more years. After that it will basically come down to what others have already said; LaBrie no longer has the chops to perform to a high enough standard or Rudess wants to retire.

There’s also a possibility, albeit small, that Mangini may want to pursue working with other bands/musical projects (on a full-time basis) before his age starts affecting his ability to play/tour at full stop. But obviously DT can survive a change in drummers.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 06:06:00 AM »
I feel like Myung would be the first to give up the touring lifestyle. Jordan seems to really dig it. He seems to really like the travelling and seeing the world.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 07:02:04 AM »
But obviously DT can survive a change in drummers.

I'd say DT could replace anyone except JP.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 09:12:36 AM »
I'm really surprised more people are focused on Jordan and not Mangini. Mangini is 56 and playing some mighty difficult and physically demanding parts. He's got the most physically intense job of the lot and I can't imagine he could be playing that way 15 years from now or even 10. I mean, if there's an example of a metal drummer playing insane parts night after night in his 60s+ I'd be fascinated to read up on that, but pianists on Jordan's level can easily play through their 60s, 70s, 80s, even 90s if they're blessed to hang around that long. Plus as they already said Jordan loves to travel and do what he does so personally I think he'll stick around a long time.

Of course I also thought Mike Portnoy would stick around, so, there's that.  :lol  :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 09:17:39 AM »
I think Mangini stays in shape though. I mean, they all practice like maniacs but if I recall correctly Mangini said the reasoning behind the overhead Toms was that it’s a more comfortable and natural motion that relieves him from abuse.

It is a physically demanding spot but I think he stays in great shape for it 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »
I'm really surprised more people are focused on Jordan and not Mangini. Mangini is 56 and playing some mighty difficult and physically demanding parts. He's got the most physically intense job of the lot and I can't imagine he could be playing that way 15 years from now or even 10. I mean, if there's an example of a metal drummer playing insane parts night after night in his 60s+ I'd be fascinated to read up on that, but pianists on Jordan's level can easily play through their 60s, 70s, 80s, even 90s if they're blessed to hang around that long. Plus as they already said Jordan loves to travel and do what he does so personally I think he'll stick around a long time.

Of course I also thought Mike Portnoy would stick around, so, there's that.  :lol  :corn

Billy Cobham is 75 and still plays like he's a young adult. Sure, he might not be able to do *everything* he did back in the day, but it's no big deal. Maybe endurance through a concert might be an issue, but this is easily avoided by playing shorter sets again and bringing  an opening act on tour or something.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2019, 09:27:38 AM »
Oh no doubt he stays in shape, I'm just saying, he faces much greater risk of harming his back or feet or wrists than any of the other guys. Obviously the guy uses impeccable technique but nobody's immune. Not hoping for anything to happen to him either - but as a pianist I'm amazed at the physical strength and endurance required from some of these drummers especially as they get older.

Billy Cobham - checking him out now, wow, he's really 75? That's insane!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2019, 09:59:57 AM »
I think Mangini stays in shape though. I mean, they all practice like maniacs but if I recall correctly Mangini said the reasoning behind the overhead Toms was that it’s a more comfortable and natural motion that relieves him from abuse.

I thought he did that to avoid the sound of the higher drums mixing with the vocals.  I'm no drummer so wouldn't know, but it looks like all the drums up high would be more difficult physically.  I could be wrong here.  Either way, I do think MM might be the one who would struggle first just because of how physically demanding his job is.  He's in great shape and totally embraces it so maybe not though.

And yea, going back to a standard set list with an opener would help with touring for longer.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2019, 11:15:44 AM »

I thought he did that to avoid the sound of the higher drums mixing with the vocals.  I'm no drummer so wouldn't know, but it looks like all the drums up high would be more difficult physically.  I could be wrong here.  Either way, I do think MM might be the one who would struggle first just because of how physically demanding his job is.  He's in great shape and totally embraces it so maybe not though.

You might be right. For some reason I feel like I read somewhere that he said the high tom positioning was easier on his shoulders and arms? I may be insane and just be making that up but I feel like I read it  :lol 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2019, 12:06:09 PM »
You're insane.  There's no way that could be easier on his arms and shoulders.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2019, 12:43:14 PM »
He didn't say it was easier.  But he did say he likes it, and joked about his arms and shoulders getting YOKED!  :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
The two you gotta worry about are James (for obvious reasons) and Mangini (I doubt he'll be able to play, or at least safely play, some of the stuff DT plays now, in 10+ years). James's voice is literally part of his body and naturally degrades over time but unless they reel in their pool of live songs to something softer and more gentle on his voice it's going to destroy him. I do not want to hear Dream Theater's version of Ozzy Osbourne because they won't drop the 90s material when James is 65. I already don't want to hear it as is.  :lol

Vladimir Horowitz, one of my favorite pianists (and truly a pianist in his own league) toured and recorded up through his mid-80s, playing up until he passed at the ripe age of 86. No reason Jordan can't go the distance as well, as he's an extraordinarily gifted musician and seems to be in fine health. Same goes for Petrucci and Myung.
JR's debilitation will be mental rather than physical should it occur. I saw Brubeck perform at 89, and once they plopped him into his chair he was as spry as ever. Fingers worked great. The difference is that Brubeck gets to focus solely on piano, and he gets to do it a much more leisurely pace. What Rudess does, stomping through 100+ different programs, triggering samples, playing whatever goofy gadgets he decided to bring along, and playing far more complex stuff, all under the pressure of a fast moving set, will grow far more difficult as he gets older.

Also, Nicko is 67. While he's not playing with the complexity and precision of Mangini, he's still ripping through a very rigorous 2 hour set 4 nights a week.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2019, 01:45:19 PM »

JR's debilitation will be mental rather than physical should it occur. I saw Brubeck perform at 89, and once they plopped him into his chair he was as spry as ever. Fingers worked great. The difference is that Brubeck gets to focus solely on piano, and he gets to do it a much more leisurely pace. What Rudess does, stomping through 100+ different programs, triggering samples, playing whatever goofy gadgets he decided to bring along, and playing far more complex stuff, all under the pressure of a fast moving set, will grow far more difficult as he gets older.

Ehh. I see what you're saying, but I don't think Jordan's gotta worry about mental debilitation. The guy was a child prodigy and as a result his brain operates on a totally different level. Jordan has the trigger pedals to think about but essentially it's no different from using any of the three pedals on an acoustic piano. The gadgets probably aren't a big deal either, he's been using them for years and knows when to seamlessly transition.

I would also debate the complexity of the music versus an accomplished classical pianist. Some of the repertoire for upper level piano is absolutely maddening and in some cases physically impossible to properly perform for some people. The dexterity, stamina, and strength required just to play some of the works by Lizst, Chopin, Ravel, and more make me want to cry, I don't think I will ever get to the point of playing most of them. Jordan might have to work with time signatures and he indeed does some crazy things with separating different parts into each hand and working polyrhythms out with the rest of the band but I would without hesitation put most professional pianists' performance material up there with Jordan's DT works.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2019, 02:14:27 PM »
I wanna offer another point. The question we should be asking isn't "when is DT going to quit touring", it's "when is DT going to slow down and how will that look like?"

It's probably not going to look like one of the members deciding the last full-on crazy prog metal world tour was too much for them, all of them unanimously agreeing and making one last album and world tour like Rush. Before that point, the sets are likely going to change, the touring schedule will change - maybe even the music will change. How? Well, that's something to discuss, because it comes much sooner than them quitting. Maybe even within the next five years?

For my money, I don't think they're going to downtune every song and make soft neoprog albums with zero technical complexity and stop dying their hair so you can see the gray (James and Mike, I'm looking at you :P). But some different song arrangements and stage arrangements and special shows that are more spaced out, that I can see.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:20:50 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2019, 03:04:29 PM »
Well, if they dyed their hair until now, I think they will continue to do so, it's weird to see some 50 years old dark haired guys being grey all of a sudden, but I wouldn't mind at all if they'd all just say "ah screw it, I'm tired of doing it" and let time catch up with their hair.

But I think you're right - they're not gonna quit overnight, they won't either do mainly acoustic albums but they will begin to downtune and drop certain songs from the set, or shortening said sets. For all we know, writing shorter songs in the last three albums is mainly them trying to have more back catalogue choices for future short sets, just to not end up playing 7 songs at each show because they're all long while the sets are shorter.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2019, 03:38:29 AM »
I can see the next tour being fewer dates and higher ticket prices, and I can see that trend continuing until they're only playing a handful of shows a year at silly prices - perhaps on an annual DT cruise. That seems to be the way old rock bands who can't get Vegas residencies go out these days, not with a bang but with a rather pathetic whimper.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."