Poll

Which album do you prefer?

Train of Thought
Your favorite album from the Mangini era

Voting closes: July 20, 2025, 03:58:53 PM

Author Topic: Train of Thought vs. Your favorite from the Mangini era  (Read 7871 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Train of Thought vs. Your favorite from the Mangini era
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »
I have never equated DT12 with "sterile."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2020, 09:38:19 AM »
I have never equated DT12 with "sterile."
I normally wouldn't either (and I likely chose descriptives I now think weren't fitting in my post, it happens, sorry about that, English isn't my first language, although my German is far worse), what I meant by sterile is that when DT12 came out it seemed to be a common opinion with both fans and critics (in Germany anyway) that DT12 would sound sterile (or lifeless or anything to that effect, which I don't think it does btw. That opinion was mainly attributed to Mike's snare sound among other things) I've always thought it's a well-constructed album that (to me) is timeless, like ADTOE and among my personal favourites. Sorry about the misunderstandings bosk.
Side note: When DT12 came out, I vowed to stop reading reviews of DT albums. I follow that adage to this day.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2020, 12:57:56 PM »
Distance Over Time by a mile.

However, had this been pre-DOT, I would have said Train of Thought.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline HOF

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2020, 10:54:57 PM »
I am listening to this album for the first time in probably 10 years if not more. I do really like the sound of it. The songs on the other hand... well they are not good (At least the first three). Even the instrumental passages can be a slog. I got through As I Am pretty well, but I had to finally skip forward about 8 minutes into This Dying Soul, and listening to the entire instrumental passage on Endless Sacrifice, lets just say it’s appropriately named. I always thought Honor Thy Father was a pretty cool song (despite the nu-metal portions and lyrics). The groove and vibe remind me a bit of Awake. I also like the Vacant/Stream of Conscious/In the Name of God run well enough (though ITNOG is also kind of a slog. It could have been paired back to like an 8 minute track probably). I’d say outside of This Dying Soul and Endless Sacrifice it’s a pretty strong metal album. It’s not something I’d choose to listen to more than once a decade or so, but it does bring back some good memories.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:17:25 PM by HOF »

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2020, 05:52:41 AM »
Oh boy, Endless Sacrifice and In the Name Of God are my two favorite DT songs and far from "slogs" compared to many other epics they've written, imo.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2020, 11:32:35 AM »
I guess this thought fits in this thread, since it is "Mangini-era" related in general:  I was just struck by the consistency and quality of the music in this era of the band this morning.  I listened to D/T, and just let my music player continue on from there.  So it then went, in order, to ADTOE and DT12.  Hearing these three albums in succession, it is just incredible to me how good this run of music has been since Mangini joined.  Not a bad or skippable song in the bunch on these 3 albums, or even a song where I find myself tuning out waiting for the next one.  I've not listened to TA this morning yet, but probably will do so in a bit.  It is definitely more of a "peaks and valleys" type of album, where there are definitely valleys that I don't care for as much.  But such a special and spectacular album as a whole.  I really just cannot say enough about the music this band has been creating since Mike joined.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2020, 11:43:40 AM »
I guess this thought fits in this thread, since it is "Mangini-era" related in general:  I was just struck by the consistency and quality of the music in this era of the band this morning.  I listened to D/T, and just let my music player continue on from there.  So it then went, in order, to ADTOE and DT12.  Hearing these three albums in succession, it is just incredible to me how good this run of music has been since Mangini joined.  Not a bad or skippable song in the bunch on these 3 albums, or even a song where I find myself tuning out waiting for the next one.  I've not listened to TA this morning yet, but probably will do so in a bit.  It is definitely more of a "peaks and valleys" type of album, where there are definitely valleys that I don't care for as much.  But such a special and spectacular album as a whole.  I really just cannot say enough about the music this band has been creating since Mike joined.
I agree with everything you said, what a run. Long may these continue. (I do skip Viper King and Room 137 though sometimes). The peak and valley aspect of TA was intentional though (according to what Jordan said about the album during some interview in 2016 that I can't remember fully. Sorry about that)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2020, 11:57:49 AM »
Yeah, I'll give you Viper King.  But I kind of give it a pass as something "different" by virtue of it being a "bonus track."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
Yeah, I'll give you Viper King.  But I kind of give it a pass as something "different" by virtue of it being a "bonus track."
of course, and there may come a day where I'll find and appreciate the humour in it and that may make it easier for me to like the piece. (some guy on here said to me that my sense of humour was removed at birth (probably not true) and that I didn't like VK (true, for now...) IMHO, I think our guys got their power back during this run of albums (I always thought that everything post-Met2 seemed to be a bit lacklustre (for lack of a better word) to me)

Offline KidInTheDark666

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2020, 12:28:26 PM »
Imo they have a streak of three bland albums, ADTOE was still very good. The awesome period for me was 1999-2012

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2020, 12:31:11 PM »
Imo they have a streak of three bland albums

Wrong thread.  This is the DT subforum.  I think you are thinking of Haken.

Offline KidInTheDark666

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2020, 12:35:46 PM »
Could be them too. I've never listened to them.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »
I agree with everything you said, what a run. Long may these continue. (I do skip Viper King and Room 137 though sometimes). The peak and valley aspect of TA was intentional though (according to what Jordan said about the album during some interview in 2016 that I can't remember fully. Sorry about that)

I have to admit to skipping a good chunk of ADTOE on most listens.  BMUBMD is hit or miss for me, and I just can't get past that opening section of LNF.  I usually skip TITL and FFH simply because I want to get to what comes next, and I sometimes skip BTS (although I like it quite a lot) because I think BAI is a perfect end to the album.  On DT12, I'll sometimes skip Enigma Machine.  It's good live, but it doesn't have the hooks that are found in pretty much every other DT instrumental.  On DOT, I'm not a huge fan of Paralyzed and FITL, but the only song I'm likely to skip is R137.

AND, since this thread is also about TOT, I almost always will skip Honor Thy Father.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2020, 12:54:17 PM »
I would agree with this generally.  For me, each album has one or two tracks that either don't interest me or I actually don't like.  But the consistency level is incredibly high.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2020, 05:28:56 PM »
I would agree that the band has been pretty consistent since Mangini joined, but on the flip side, their highs are not quite as high as they used to be.  I would say most of the songs from the last four albums would rate as 7 or 8 out of 10, with a few 9's.  Contrast that to the 1992-2002 era, when 9's and 10's were the norm.  But that is okay.  Bands rarely do their absolute best work in albums 11-14, and DT is no different in that regard, but they are also different in that most bands that make it to that many albums do not make albums 11-14 as good as ADTOE-D/T have been.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2020, 11:04:17 PM »
I would agree that the band has been pretty consistent since Mangini joined, but on the flip side, their highs are not quite as high as they used to be.  I would say most of the songs from the last four albums would rate as 7 or 8 out of 10, with a few 9's.  Contrast that to the 1992-2002 era, when 9's and 10's were the norm.  But that is okay.  Bands rarely do their absolute best work in albums 11-14, and DT is no different in that regard, but they are also different in that most bands that make it to that many albums do not make albums 11-14 as good as ADTOE-D/T have been.

Isn't that subjective, though?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2020, 06:46:47 AM »

All of this is.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2020, 09:44:27 AM »

Of course.  Do we really need to go back to pointing out that everything we say is our opinion? :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2020, 08:01:37 AM »

I can get on board with this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol