Author Topic: How good of a drummer was Ringo Starr?  (Read 3357 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
How good of a drummer was Ringo Starr?
« on: October 06, 2019, 09:37:16 AM »
I fall in the middle of what always seem to be the two extremes.

A lot of Beatles fans talk him up like he was one of the greatest ever, which I find laughable.

And a lot of people laugh him off, like he was pure crap.

I think he is definitely one of the luckiest people ever, landing in a band with two of the greatest songwriters ever (Lennon and McCartney), and I think he was a solid drummer who did some cool things at the time that you had never really heard in popular music prior, but that is about where it ends for me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: How good of a drummer was Ringo Starr?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 11:40:37 AM »
I am not good at assessing musicians since my knowledge of music doesn't extend beyond "yeah, this sounds cool to me!" but I think your summary is fair and reasonable.

I don't like to consider musicians "lucky." Luck has so much to do with everyone's life. I was lucky that I knew a guy who needed and extra hand with his company and he was willing to hire me. But I still have to go in every single day and do the work. Musicians are no different. Sure Ringo is luckier than most musicians. But he still had to go in and do the work. I dunno... it's a me issue.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »
"yeah, this sounds cool to me!"

And at the end of the day, that's all that matters. If you don't touch the peoples' heart or soul or whatever it doesn't matter if you're "good".
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 12:08:11 PM »
I am not good at assessing musicians since my knowledge of music doesn't extend beyond "yeah, this sounds cool to me!" but I think your summary is fair and reasonable.

I don't like to consider musicians "lucky." Luck has so much to do with everyone's life. I was lucky that I knew a guy who needed and extra hand with his company and he was willing to hire me. But I still have to go in every single day and do the work. Musicians are no different. Sure Ringo is luckier than most musicians. But he still had to go in and do the work. I dunno... it's a me issue.

I can see your reasoning. Yes, it might have been lucky to end up in a band with Lennon and McCartney, but he had to be picked in the first place, and if was, say, an unreasonable asshole, he would have been booted. Maybe luck landed him the gig, but I don't think luck made him stay.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »

A lot of Beatles fans talk him up like he was one of the greatest ever, which I find laughable.

I think he is definitely one of the luckiest people ever, landing in a band with two of the greatest songwriters ever (Lennon and McCartney), and I think he was a solid drummer who did some cool things at the time that you had never really heard in popular music prior, but that is about where it ends for me.
Was he a lucky guy being in The Beatles? Probably. I don't think he has any technique, but him coming up with the groove ideas in Come Together was apparently something everyone loves. I don't. Had it been superhumanly tight, I'd appreciate it. As it is, I can't. He isn't one of my heroes nor did he influence me in any way. That's all I'll say.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:59:12 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 01:15:47 PM »
To me, he was good enough. I mean, he was no Ginger Baker, but Ginger Baker would've changed the Beatles dynamic. I mean, people try and to make sense of Ringo as a drummer, which is futile to me. He's no Neal Peart, but then again, George Harrison is no Yngwie Malmsteen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 03:02:19 PM »
Ringo to me is a drummer that came up with interesting and linear drumpattern that was kind of unheard of at the time. Pretty simple stuff but he served the songs very well which I appreciate alot.

Todd Sucherman on Ringo Starr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr8BE1M7qPc
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 03:07:19 PM »
Nothing flashy about Ringo but he does have the ability to put the right fill or the right swing to the song.

He's always been a drummer that plays to what fits for the song. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »
Ringo to me is a drummer that came up with interesting and linear drumpattern that was kind of unheard of at the time. Pretty simple stuff but he served the songs very well which I appreciate alot.

I respect Ringo's ideas, yes, it would be rude not to. (as Todd rightfully says)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 03:07:53 PM »
I like the part at 1:05 where he says "What TAC said.". ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 03:20:29 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 03:09:03 PM »
Damn, that Hollywood Bowl album sounds interesting. I'll check that out.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »
it's on YT. (There you go: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lyUDU9ALLrVNcpbmbNclXnUvH7GJpBclc) Screaming women? Tick. Vocal harmonies? Tick. Flaws and all? Tick.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 03:18:35 PM »
it's on YT. (There you go: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lyUDU9ALLrVNcpbmbNclXnUvH7GJpBclc) Screaming women? Tick. Vocal harmonies? Tick. Flaws and all? Tick.

Listening on Spotify right now, actually. I like it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 01:32:43 AM »
Ringo was great at crafting what he was going to play in each song. You can hear he is trying not to repeat himself and his patterns are always interesting to listen to. In my life is my favorite example.

If he weren't good, I'm sure John, Paul and George wouldn't keep him. He was chosen over Pete Best because he was better.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 03:26:47 AM »
Ringo was great at crafting what he was going to play in each song. You can hear he is trying not to repeat himself and his patterns are always interesting to listen to. In my life is my favorite example.

If he weren't good, I'm sure John, Paul and George wouldn't keep him. He was chosen over Pete Best because he was better.
that is true I think

Offline T-ski

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 08:03:41 AM »

piggybacking off of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQsKRyihEA
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 08:04:03 AM »
I think he was crucial to the Beatles.  He's not on my Mt. Rushmore of greatest drummers (Bonham, Peart, Portnoy, Collins) but he's perhaps the greatest drummer for the Beatles.   It was pointless to be Ginger Baker in the Beatles, that's not the kind of band they were.  They weren't improvisers, they weren't jammers, they weren't about the sort of "music as a journey in and of itself" like Crimson, or the Dead, or Cream.  Sort of coincidentally, Eric Clapton himself recognized that later when Harrison invited him along to help smooth tensions between the other members.   

I think Paul McCartney is the single greatest living musician on the planet right now, and he was part of the collective that actively chose Ringo Starr to further his and John's vision.  I'm also a big fan of the idea of "chemistry" in a band, and I think when you have a two-headed monster like Lennon/McCartney, you NEEDED a guy like Ringo, a "shut up and play" kind of guy, to make the team work.   

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 08:29:00 AM »
I think he was crucial to the Beatles.  He's not on my Mt. Rushmore of greatest drummers (Bonham, Peart, Portnoy, Collins) but he's perhaps the greatest drummer for the Beatles.   It was pointless to be Ginger Baker in the Beatles, that's not the kind of band they were.  They weren't improvisers, they weren't jammers, they weren't about the sort of "music as a journey in and of itself" like Crimson, or the Dead, or Cream.  Sort of coincidentally, Eric Clapton himself recognized that later when Harrison invited him along to help smooth tensions between the other members.   

I think Paul McCartney is the single greatest living musician on the planet right now, and he was part of the collective that actively chose Ringo Starr to further his and John's vision.  I'm also a big fan of the idea of "chemistry" in a band, and I think when you have a two-headed monster like Lennon/McCartney, you NEEDED a guy like Ringo, a "shut up and play" kind of guy, to make the team work.
nice to see Phil Collins recieve some respect there (which he deserves IMHO), apart from that, I can (somewhat) relate to some things you mentioned (meaning that Macca and Lennon didn't need or want a technical player to "complete the team" as it were and some other things)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 08:32:06 AM »
He's a decent drummer, but remember, he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 09:17:41 AM »
He's a decent drummer, but remember, he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

He didn't need to be the best drummer.  He needed to the right drummer that suits the vision and the songs for the band.  There's a difference.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »

Eh, I get what you're alluding to, but for me, a big Beatles fan, I (believe I) can tell those songs when Paul plays, and that's not always a good thing.  You listen to a song like "Rain" and it's what it is because of Ringo, more than anything else. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 09:51:45 AM »
I am not insulting Ringo in the slightest. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online pg1067

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2019, 11:43:15 AM »

I think you've summed up exactly how I feel about him.

I think it's worth adding that he gets credit for a lot of playing he didn't actually do (something which I suspect has already been pointed out, but I haven't read through the thread yet).  I don't know the extent of it (although I'm sure there is exhaustive information available), but I know McCartney played drums on a bunch of tracks in the last few years of the Beatles' career.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2019, 12:08:59 PM »

I think it's worth adding that he gets credit for a lot of playing he didn't actually do (something which I suspect has already been pointed out, but I haven't read through the thread yet).  I don't know the extent of it (although I'm sure there is exhaustive information available), but I know McCartney played drums on a bunch of tracks in the last few years of the Beatles' career.
There's also the rumour that Bernard Purdie overdubbed drums for The Beatles, according to himself but I don't know the full extent of that.

https://www.quora.com/Did-Bernard-Purdie-play-for-the-Beatles
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online pg1067

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2019, 03:18:29 PM »

There's also the rumour that Bernard Purdie overdubbed drums for The Beatles, according to himself but I don't know the full extent of that.

https://www.quora.com/Did-Bernard-Purdie-play-for-the-Beatles

Clarence Walker, anyone?

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2019, 03:41:18 PM »
Clarence Walker, anyone?

:rollin

Didn't they hide the plot with backward masking?

Online pg1067

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2019, 05:21:39 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 06:30:15 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2019, 07:56:48 AM »

That was true of all of them to some extent.  Lennon played a shit ton of bass (while Macca was on the piano) as well as a lot of lead guitar.   I think you'll find that's true of many bands, at the end of the day. 

Online pg1067

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 10:00:01 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2019, 10:44:42 AM »
Macca was on the piano

Eh?

There are several songs where Paul McCartney played piano, on some of those - "The Long And Winding Road", most notably - Lennon played bass.  "Macca" is short for McCartney, sort of like "Mac" here in the States. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2019, 10:47:52 AM »
There are several songs where Paul McCartney played piano, on some of those - "The Long And Winding Road", most notably - Lennon played bass.  "Macca" is short for McCartney, sort of like "Mac" here in the States.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2019, 10:52:24 AM »
Is that short for Stadler? I hope that doesn't stick....    ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2019, 10:56:25 AM »
I was waiting to see how long that took for someone to catch. :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2019, 12:41:02 PM »

That was the question.  I know McCartney played pretty much every instrument at one point or another during the Beatles' career (and, on a couple of songs, all of them), but I've never heard him referred to as "Macca."