Author Topic: Are your insults politically correct?  (Read 4428 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Are your insults politically correct?
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2019, 04:12:44 AM »
Personally I don't think it's a big deal not to use certain words around people who are offended by them, especially when such words have a long history associated with violence against those groups. Even for words that don't, they can still contribute to subconscious social stigmas that can lead to people in said groups feeling uncomfortable or unsafe. If you overhear someone you don't know talking shit about you (inadvertently or not), surely y'all would agree that that'd put a strong sense of fear & pressure on you. Multiply that by hundreds of times & I think you can see why people would be upset.

To a certain extent I can understand the frustration towards people you feel are trying to censor you for something you don't think is a big deal because you (probably) haven't been affected by it, but I think that that frustration (in my opinion) is a far smaller sacrifice than to perpetuate the societal disillusionment of already oppressed groups.

Example: I'm transgender. There are a lot of instances of transphobic violence still going on in first-world countries to this day. If I overhear someone calling a trans person a "tranny", then I'm going to be 1) livid as all fuck, & 2) quite fearful for what could happen to me if said person knew I was trans, because of that slur's association with rampant transphobia. That fear often culminates later on into anger, guilt, self-loathing, & finally, depression. It may sound silly to have that reaction based on one word, but that reminder that I could be unsafe at any given moment because of random violent bigots is a huge fucking emotional toll to have. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I highly doubt the person using that slur would have quite as heavy of a burden to bear if they'd had resisted the urge to be an asshole. I really don't think that's that much to ask when compared with the consequences of not doing it.

But ok, let's assume that any given person doesn't believe or doesn't care that their word choice has consequences on others. Then why would that person suddenly start caring when a group of rightly-offended people call them out for being offensive? In my opinion, the craze against "SJW"s and "PC Police" is a huge indicator that these people do care about the consequences of their actions, yet choose not to acknowledge them because of cognitive dissonance. It's like, if these people really thought everyone should just "get over" what words they use, why do those same people feel so attacked (or even claim that their free speech is being suppressed) when people use actual reasons to explain why these words are bad? If you want everyone else to "get over it" when you use offensive slurs, then either "get over it" when people fight back or actually make amends to become a better person.

Sorry for the wall of text; I have very strong opinions on this subject.

---

Back to OP: Despite what I just said, I don't understand how people could find it offensive to call something "stupid" or "crazy", because they don't really imply any specific mental illness (especially not when they're used to describe inanimate objects or ideas). If you really wanted to grasp at straws, you could argue that "crazy" or "insane" are making fun of people with schizophrenia, but if I say "damn, last night was crazy", the image that pops into most people's heads isn't a sentient period of time that has trouble deciphering reality from its imagination (which sounds trippy as fuck when I describe it like that :lol). The implication when people call things crazy is that they're simply out of the ordinary, & you don't have to be mentally ill to be out of the ordinary in either a good or bad way.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2019, 05:45:46 AM »
^... On the topic of Transgender phobia... you're totally legit in your feelings / statements.  Hell, I try to refrain from referring to a transmission as a 'tranny' - it just feels awkward, and predominantly because of everything you mentioned.

On the OP, I think 'retard' is the only one that over the decades has truly become a no-no, and truly does represent a stigma against mentally disabled people.  As for the others, society these days is just so fraught (particularly online) with people who not only feel it's their god-given right to be offended by words (as opposed to be offended by the INTENT of words), many look for ways to be offended.  I follow a lot of fitness/nutrition stuff online, and there are these 'movements' of overweight communities (Health-at-every-size; Fat Acceptance Movement), that in theory should be good things, but have evolved to the point that the extreme side of it is trying to make "obese" a stigmatizing word - to the extent that I saw a post that said "obesity is a dehumanizing slur".   :facepalm:  I digress...

What people need to remember is that the use of these words (at least for me) is not literal when I apply them to an individual.  I call someone an idiot or crazy, it's mostly hyperbolic/facetious.  I don't literally think someone is permanently mentally deranged, or unintelligent in general.  In most situations, I gather people are using those words against a specific situation/behaviour/statement.  I suspect/believe these groups that want to claim "STIGMA!" (imo) are these 'want-to-be-offended' types that do not listen with the intent to understand, but listen with the intent to respond.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2019, 07:10:00 AM »
I honestly don't understand why "tranny" is so offensive to trans people. Now I'm sure it has to do with the way people say it but seriously?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2019, 07:25:09 AM »
It's been said already, but we are reaching a point where someone is offended by just about anything someone else says. You don't like what they said? "I'm offended!"  I referred to Antonio Brown as a nut job on more than one occasion in August/September because, well, he was acting like a nut job, but had a woman been acting the same way and I called her a nut job, inevitably someone would have played the woman card, like I was only using the term "nut job" because she was a woman.  It has to be both tiresome and stressful finding reasons to be so outraged all of the time, yet many manage to do it.  There are, of course, legit words that are offensive, many of which have been covered in this thread already, but there are tons of non-offensive that some are trying to make offensive for what can only be referred to as absurd (not crazy, per the OP :lol) reasons.

Unless I am quoting a movie or something and it is around someone who knows this and won't be bothered, I never use the n-word, c-word, retarded or tranny.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2019, 08:39:12 AM »
Personally I don't think it's a big deal not to use certain words around people who are offended by them, especially when such words have a long history associated with violence against those groups. Even for words that don't, they can still contribute to subconscious social stigmas that can lead to people in said groups feeling uncomfortable or unsafe. If you overhear someone you don't know talking shit about you (inadvertently or not), surely y'all would agree that that'd put a strong sense of fear & pressure on you. Multiply that by hundreds of times & I think you can see why people would be upset.

To a certain extent I can understand the frustration towards people you feel are trying to censor you for something you don't think is a big deal because you (probably) haven't been affected by it, but I think that that frustration (in my opinion) is a far smaller sacrifice than to perpetuate the societal disillusionment of already oppressed groups.

Example: I'm transgender. There are a lot of instances of transphobic violence still going on in first-world countries to this day. If I overhear someone calling a trans person a "tranny", then I'm going to be 1) livid as all fuck, & 2) quite fearful for what could happen to me if said person knew I was trans, because of that slur's association with rampant transphobia. That fear often culminates later on into anger, guilt, self-loathing, & finally, depression. It may sound silly to have that reaction based on one word, but that reminder that I could be unsafe at any given moment because of random violent bigots is a huge fucking emotional toll to have. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I highly doubt the person using that slur would have quite as heavy of a burden to bear if they'd had resisted the urge to be an asshole. I really don't think that's that much to ask when compared with the consequences of not doing it.

Your opinion and your point of view is yours, so it's unassailable, and certainly, it would be difficult to fully understand unless one is living in those shoes.   

But an honest question:  is there a difference in time and place?  Meaning, is there a difference between you being on the street and four people walking up and using "tranny" in a sentence, versus a written or spoken reference to same?   

One of the... problems, let's say, with the "n-word" is that it's taken on an almost mythical status, in that there are NO correct usages of the term, at least by non-African Americans (based on what I feel is the 'faulty' concept of "owning" the word).  We can't start to have volumes of words that simply have no correct usages of the term. 

But ok, let's assume that any given person doesn't believe or doesn't care that their word choice has consequences on others. Then why would that person suddenly start caring when a group of rightly-offended people call them out for being offensive? In my opinion, the craze against "SJW"s and "PC Police" is a huge indicator that these people do care about the consequences of their actions, yet choose not to acknowledge them because of cognitive dissonance. It's like, if these people really thought everyone should just "get over" what words they use, why do those same people feel so attacked (or even claim that their free speech is being suppressed) when people use actual reasons to explain why these words are bad? If you want everyone else to "get over it" when you use offensive slurs, then either "get over it" when people fight back or actually make amends to become a better person.

I respecfully disagree with this. Part of the problem with the whole issue is that "consequences" mean different things to different people, and also has a broad scope.   For example, if I go up to someone and say "hey moron", what should the consequences be? A lecture?  Should I lose my job?  Should I be punched in the face?  Jailed?  Executed?   We've sort of messed up the notion of "consequences"; there are too many examples to give where the CONSEQUENCES have been assumed ("guilt by accusation").   The fact of the matter is, Brett Kavanaugh is, technically, guilty of NOTHING.   There have been no charges, no trial, no verdict, no sentencing, and yet he is very much feeling the consequences of the ACCUSATION.   

You - rightly - feel threatened by personal violence, that may or may not be a direct consequence of language, that may or may not be associated with a whole host of other variables that cannot be controlled, cannot be responded to, cannot be assigned a consequence.  So we latch onto the word, the easily identified variable, and assign it the consequences of all the other things that we can't control.   I have zero doubt that most of the "PC Police Complainers" aren't thinking this, and might even have a hard time articulating this, but this to me is the difference.   Can you point to one SPECIFIC instance of violence or hate from this?  How about an indirect instance of violence that was proximately cause by that?   Yet, the consequences to HIM were direct, proximate and impactful.  We don't do this in any other context. 

There are very few things that are "specific intent" crimes (that is, are a crime simply for the doing, with no other element).  Most other crimes require there to be a victim, a specific crime, a direct cause, a PROXIMATE cause (meaning, not just one in a long line of causes but one that "but for", the harm would not or could not have happened).  I know, I know, problems with a legal reading of this, but that's the standard we use to DEMAND others to act a certain way.   We can ASK others to act morally, but we can't DEMAND it, with consequences for failing to act appropriately.  Few people realize this, but "hate speech" is protected speech in America; speech intending to incite is not.  The difference between the two is essentially what I've laid out above. 

Back to OP: Despite what I just said, I don't understand how people could find it offensive to call something "stupid" or "crazy", because they don't really imply any specific mental illness (especially not when they're used to describe inanimate objects or ideas). If you really wanted to grasp at straws, you could argue that "crazy" or "insane" are making fun of people with schizophrenia, but if I say "damn, last night was crazy", the image that pops into most people's heads isn't a sentient period of time that has trouble deciphering reality from its imagination (which sounds trippy as fuck when I describe it like that :lol). The implication when people call things crazy is that they're simply out of the ordinary, & you don't have to be mentally ill to be out of the ordinary in either a good or bad way.

Honest question: how is this different than what you wrote above?  Why does intent - and the presupposition of what others MIGHT think - matter here but not above?   

And just so you know, none of this is intended to be accusatory, or to pass judgment.  If anything, it's just the opposite: I'm showing you the respect of treating you like anyone else; if you have an opinion, it's not unfair to ask you to explain or justify that opinion. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2019, 09:44:36 AM »
There are certain words I will never use.  The "N" word is #1.

Nutrition?

Non-alcoholic beer?

Now you're insulting me RJ.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2019, 09:49:24 AM »

Offline Harmony

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2019, 09:59:31 AM »
Ask and ye shall receive!  A new insult to add to my list of favorites:   :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6jesg5MYOs
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »

But an honest question:  is there a difference in time and place?  Meaning, is there a difference between you being on the street and four people walking up and using "tranny" in a sentence, versus a written or spoken reference to same?   

Hypothetically, if I were to read that word in a written or online context, it would admittedly be a lot less impactful on me, as it's much easier to either block or ignore people who use it in a derogatory way. That doesn't make me less angry about people hating me for no reason, but I'm certainly not as afraid for my safety. That said, I think it does still contribute to general fears about how broader society could react upon hearing me coming out, even if it's unlikely that I'd ever encounter that specific person.

One of the... problems, let's say, with the "n-word" is that it's taken on an almost mythical status, in that there are NO correct usages of the term, at least by non-African Americans (based on what I feel is the 'faulty' concept of "owning" the word).  We can't start to have volumes of words that simply have no correct usages of the term. 

I'm not quite sure what you're implying here, but if you believe there's no valid use of a word, it should be pretty easy not to use it, right?

I respecfully disagree with this. Part of the problem with the whole issue is that "consequences" mean different things to different people, and also has a broad scope.   For example, if I go up to someone and say "hey moron", what should the consequences be? A lecture?  Should I lose my job?  Should I be punched in the face?  Jailed?  Executed?   We've sort of messed up the notion of "consequences"; there are too many examples to give where the CONSEQUENCES have been assumed ("guilt by accusation").   The fact of the matter is, Brett Kavanaugh is, technically, guilty of NOTHING.   There have been no charges, no trial, no verdict, no sentencing, and yet he is very much feeling the consequences of the ACCUSATION.   

I don't know who Brett Kavanaugh is, but when I say "consequences" I mean the effects that your words have on other people, not the punishment of the person saying the words themselves. I don't think "moron" is derogatory enough to hurt anyone specifically, but the fact of the matter is: if you go out of your way to use derogatory terms about minorities (even if they're not directly used against minorities), I think it's unreasonable to expect that no-one will be offended. Especially in a workplace environment, they create a passive feeling of non-acceptance & judgement. I think that being fired, punched, jailed, or executed based solely on any one specific word is a bit extreme, but if someone says "can you not use that word? it's stigmatising towards [x group]", that isn't someone imposing on your free speech or whatever, it's someone using their free speech to criticise your word choice.

That said, if you keep saying (let's just say) the N-word in your workplace despite several people (including black co-workers & your bosses) telling you to stop, then yes I think it should result in you being fired if you still show no remorse in doing it - but that's only because you're repeatedly refusing the requests of everyone around you, which I think would have those consequences when applied to any context, not necessarily exclusive to using derogatory language.

You - rightly - feel threatened by personal violence, that may or may not be a direct consequence of language, that may or may not be associated with a whole host of other variables that cannot be controlled, cannot be responded to, cannot be assigned a consequence.  So we latch onto the word, the easily identified variable, and assign it the consequences of all the other things that we can't control.   I have zero doubt that most of the "PC Police Complainers" aren't thinking this, and might even have a hard time articulating this, but this to me is the difference.   Can you point to one SPECIFIC instance of violence or hate from this?  How about an indirect instance of violence that was proximately cause by that?   Yet, the consequences to HIM were direct, proximate and impactful.  We don't do this in any other context.

There are very few things that are "specific intent" crimes (that is, are a crime simply for the doing, with no other element).  Most other crimes require there to be a victim, a specific crime, a direct cause, a PROXIMATE cause (meaning, not just one in a long line of causes but one that "but for", the harm would not or could not have happened).  I know, I know, problems with a legal reading of this, but that's the standard we use to DEMAND others to act a certain way.   We can ASK others to act morally, but we can't DEMAND it, with consequences for failing to act appropriately.  Few people realize this, but "hate speech" is protected speech in America; speech intending to incite is not.  The difference between the two is essentially what I've laid out above. 

No, I highly doubt that anyone is exclusively going to commit violence against black people because of this one kid's sign. That's not what I'm arguing. What I'm arguing is that it's a reminder that extremist-racists (which still believe slavery should exist) also exist. Not to say that that kid is one of them, but surely you must agree that that reminder would put a sizable amount of discomfort & pressure on someone of African-American descent, right?

Honest question: how is this different than what you wrote above?  Why does intent - and the presupposition of what others MIGHT think - matter here but not above?   

I didn't mean that it doesn't matter, I meant that I don't understand how any specific group could take offence to that word without majorly reaching. However, if I encounter someone that does take to it, my response wouldn't be "fuck off, let me say what I want", but rather "I'm not sure I understand why you feel that way. Could you elaborate so that I can understand it better?".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2019, 07:32:46 AM »

Hypothetically, if I were to read that word in a written or online context, it would admittedly be a lot less impactful on me, as it's much easier to either block or ignore people who use it in a derogatory way. That doesn't make me less angry about people hating me for no reason, but I'm certainly not as afraid for my safety. That said, I think it does still contribute to general fears about how broader society could react upon hearing me coming out, even if it's unlikely that I'd ever encounter that specific person.[/quote]

This might be too personal to discuss; I'm not sure I know you well enough - nor you me - to really dig into this.  Suffice to say that I think there are multiple facets to this and not just "the use of a word". 

I'm not quite sure what you're implying here, but if you believe there's no valid use of a word, it should be pretty easy not to use it, right?

No, just the opposite.  ALL words have SOME valid use, and negating that because of bad uses is what I'm questioning.  It's the "common sense" gun argument.  We know about common sense at this point.  For me, who lives and dies by the word, and spends a lot of time, professionally and personally poring over words, I get their power, but I also get that some of this is not about power at all.  It's more than that (I alluded to that "more" in my previous post, I think.).

We've decided that "n*****" has negative power in the context of race relations.  Presumably, then, when a white person says "n*****", four main things happen (there are other options, but you can fold them into the main categories):
- Some black people ignore it and move on, in apathy or disgust.
- Some black people get outraged and/or are scared for their future
- Some white people ignore it and move on, in apathy or disgust.
- Some white people get outraged and fuel their pre-existing hatred.

We can debate the relative quantities; I generally guess that the majority of people are in the first and third categories; there is a loud but not that large contingent in the second one, and an even smaller contingent in the last.   But we've heard now that when an African American says it, it's EMPOWERING and "takes ownership" of the word.  But we can suppose what happens when Jay-Z says the word; it might look something like this:
- Some black people ignore it and move on, in apathy or obliviousness.
- Some black people get empowered and/or feel vindicated.
- Some white people ignore it and move on, in apathy or obliviousness.
- Some white people get outraged and fuel their pre-existing hatred.

The point here is that IF the word has power, the power is not in the intent of the user, but in the intent of the RECIPIENT.   We've already accepted that use of a word by a minority is an "empowering" act - you could say the same about the LGB community, with things like "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy", and others - and my argument is that this undermines the idea that there is safety in focusing on the words.  A targeted minority is arguably not any safer if we're not using "n*****" or "homo" or "tranny" in a sentence.  This seems to bolster that argument.  No doubt YOU feel better personally - and that's not a minor, small thing - but it's not about the safety of the group, unfortunately.

I don't know who Brett Kavanaugh is, but when I say "consequences" I mean the effects that your words have on other people, not the punishment of the person saying the words themselves. I don't think "moron" is derogatory enough to hurt anyone specifically, but the fact of the matter is: if you go out of your way to use derogatory terms about minorities (even if they're not directly used against minorities), I think it's unreasonable to expect that no-one will be offended. Especially in a workplace environment, they create a passive feeling of non-acceptance & judgement. I think that being fired, punched, jailed, or executed based solely on any one specific word is a bit extreme, but if someone says "can you not use that word? it's stigmatising towards [x group]", that isn't someone imposing on your free speech or whatever, it's someone using their free speech to criticise your word choice.

That said, if you keep saying (let's just say) the N-word in your workplace despite several people (including black co-workers & your bosses) telling you to stop, then yes I think it should result in you being fired if you still show no remorse in doing it - but that's only because you're repeatedly refusing the requests of everyone around you, which I think would have those consequences when applied to any context, not necessarily exclusive to using derogatory language.

Could've sworn I read elsewhere you were in America; Brett Kavanaugh is the most recent member of the United States Supreme Court, widely criticized for, uh, um... an unproved accusation of sexual assault 30 years ago, and, I guess, because Trump nominated him for the court to begin with.   He was confirmed, barely, but now lives an odd life; he's reached the pinnacle of his profession, but is not generally afforded the same courtesies as his colleagues, and often has to appear in public in moderate disguise.

I'm not talking about "can you not use that word", though.  I see zero problem with that approach (even if I disagree with the rationale for it), if that's all it was.   "I use a word", "you voice your displeasure", "I decide whether I want to use it again or not", "you decide whether you want to engage with me, to the extent you can", and we move on.  This happens in various contexts every second of every day.  If I don't bring the cart back to the stall at the grocery store, they put up a sign.  They might put a staff-member in the lot.  But if I just flat out refuse to put the cart back in the stall, that's where it ends.  I shouldn't be shamed on the internet, my boss shouldn't be contacted and informed, and I shouldn't be jeered when I sit in a restaurant with my family.  It's one thing to "criticize", that's fair debate, but when your "criticism" is used as a weapon, the science says it's not a viable counter-attack to a harm-causing action, it's just "eye-for-an-eye"; I hurt, therefore YOU'RE going to hurt. 

No, I highly doubt that anyone is exclusively going to commit violence against black people because of this one kid's sign. That's not what I'm arguing. What I'm arguing is that it's a reminder that extremist-racists (which still believe slavery should exist) also exist. Not to say that that kid is one of them, but surely you must agree that that reminder would put a sizable amount of discomfort & pressure on someone of African-American descent, right?

Wait a second; first, that kid was not a "extremist-racist"; all accounts are that it's a bad joke.  He WANTED to date that girl and she wanted to date him. And second, whether it puts "discomfort and pressure" - sizable or not - is not the point.  The fact is, when you're dealing with the existence and rights of 325 million people - in America - and 7.7 BILLION people on the planet, "discomfort" is not a standard to be used.  Sure, on a personal level, it's a positive thing to make others feel comfortable; it's certainly something I try to accomplish, but it's not something anyone can demand.

I didn't mean that it doesn't matter, I meant that I don't understand how any specific group could take offence to that word without majorly reaching. However, if I encounter someone that does take to it, my response wouldn't be "fuck off, let me say what I want", but rather "I'm not sure I understand why you feel that way. Could you elaborate so that I can understand it better?".

Just a rephrasing of my question, and meant to further the discussion:  why doesn't it work both ways?  I would assume you would be okay with me saying "I'm not transgender, so I can't really say what should or should not be considered offensive", so why doesn't that group get afforded the same courtesy?   Or, in the reverse, if you can't imagine why someone would be offended, why doesn't that extend to the people that use words you don't like?   

The point here is not to play "gotcha", or to box you in a corner.  The point is to reinforce that we're really trying to drive the behavior of the majority through selective, subjective reactions of a few people.   As much as I'd love the world to be a perfect, warm, caring, accepting place, it's not and for various reasons.  I recognize that this might come off as insensitive, but I don't think it is; it's intended to be pragmatic.   There's certainly a subset of people for whom this is all a matter of education; meaning, if they only had more knowledge of the state of being "transgender" or "homosexual" or "African American" they'd be far more understanding.   That's a better thing for all of us, whether we're in that group or not.   But even if it's simply a matter of genetics, there is ALWAYS going to be a subset of the population that, in the vernacular, just doesn't give a f***.  Whether they are clinically sociopathic, or have some other "condition" or "state" that renders them insensitive to others, regardless of what group they fall into. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 07:38:21 AM by Stadler »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2019, 07:45:22 AM »
I'll say just about anything. You just need to know your audience.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2019, 08:12:21 AM »
I'll say just about anything. You just need to know your audience.

This.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2019, 08:22:43 AM »
Personally I don't think it's a big deal not to use certain words around people who are offended by them,
Me neither. It's called courtesy, which is something I'm a huge fan of. A recurring theme here has been knowing your audience, and that's obviously the key.

Where we have a problem is when we dismiss the roll of intent, callousness, and context. If someone uses the word retarded in a genuinely sincere way does he deserve to be castigated or educated? If somebody employs a 100 year old ethnic slur as a word of art do we need to react as if he's David Duke? If someone's reading a book containing non-PC language do we need to come down on them for not censoring the text?

Back to IDNDT's post, we should all be mindful about not saying things hurtful around others. Like I said, basic human decency. I would simply suggest that the others who might be hurt try and factor context and intent into the equation before sliding right on into outrage. Moreover, others who wish to represent those who might be hurt need to seriously STFU. PC outrage is bad enough. Outrage by proxy is really where we've run into the biggest problem.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2019, 08:35:21 AM »
I'm like... about 50% the way up the woke/progressive/politically correct scale... which is to say, I was all the way there in 2016ish but things are escalating amongst Too Online people who determine these things, and I can't keep up! For example, I think the four letter c-word is considered very uncool now, and when I was more "in the know" it wasn't like that.

There's some words that I won't even quote (the r-word, the n-word, the t-word), though I obviously can't ask anyone else to censor them if they're just quoting, and there's a lot of words I won't say but don't mind referring to the words themselves. I won't call anyone a bitch unless I'm joking. Calling someone garbage or trash is seen as perfectly politically correct, and I honestly don't know what people who use those are smoking, to me those are the most dehumanizing insults of all. I'm probably not gonna start calling people chuds and chucklef***s and f***trumpets, these ~new, creative~ insults are just... bleh. No bite.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2019, 08:37:41 AM »
Hey, I've used chucklefuck for years and that still brings a smile to my face.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2019, 08:48:51 AM »

^^^ Will never not be funny. People have put way too much emphasis on the words themselves rather than meaning or intent behind them.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2019, 09:22:13 AM »
^^ yes! Great scene  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2019, 11:28:32 AM »
 :rollin love Tommy Boy

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2019, 12:16:27 PM »
My initial thought to answer would (rightfully) get me banned from the forum, so I will abstain.

But in honesty, I still use moron and idiot quite a bit, but only when talking about morons and idiots.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2019, 12:25:48 PM »
My initial thought to answer would (rightfully) get me banned from the forum, so I will abstain.

But in honesty, I still use moron and idiot quite a bit, but only when talking about morons and idiots.

:heart

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2019, 12:41:16 PM »
is "politically correct insult" an oxymoron? Can I say oxymoron?

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2019, 01:14:54 PM »

:lol Articulated perfectly.

As said multiple times, knowing the audience is the key.  Long-time friends of mine still call me all kinds of trashy stuff, but we know each other and it's not like we're screaming obscenities across Food City parking lot (tho that's happened in my past).

I've never "dropped a hard C" on anyone that I can think of (that insult seems to me to be the worst thing a woman can be named), but bitch has flown from my lips a time or two in mixed company, and I was chided for it (once rightly chided and once she deserved it in my opinion... you don't hit a guy in the crotch and expect him to bring you flowers right? this story doesn't begin or end the way you think it does...).

Nowadays, I'm using Moron and Bonehead quite often... if I'm particularly perturbed or just outright angry (not often, but I deal with the public and large sums of money) F@#k-stick will make an appearance... to my shame.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2019, 01:25:17 AM »
Just for my own curiosity, since that word is mistranslated and very abused in Italy, how much of a sexual connotation the word "bitch" has? I take it that it has universal meaning, that it works both for guys and girls, and that it can encompasses any kind of annoying behavior - "We all wanted to go to the movies but Janie was being a bitch and insisted we'd go to the pub instead".

I take that sl... and wh.... are more sexually-oriented insults, such as the "c-word" which refers, well, to that thing itself. But if someone is called a bitch, I assume she's insulted for her behaviour rather than being insulted with the implication that she's sexually reprehensible.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2019, 02:08:31 AM »
Just for my own curiosity, since that word is mistranslated and very abused in Italy, how much of a sexual connotation the word "bitch" has? I take it that it has universal meaning, that it works both for guys and girls, and that it can encompasses any kind of annoying behavior - "We all wanted to go to the movies but Janie was being a bitch and insisted we'd go to the pub instead".

I take that sl... and wh.... are more sexually-oriented insults, such as the "c-word" which refers, well, to that thing itself. But if someone is called a bitch, I assume she's insulted for her behaviour rather than being insulted with the implication that she's sexually reprehensible.

That's correct, yes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2019, 07:16:18 AM »

Just me talking here, but I pretty much use the terms "bitch", "slut", or "whore" on men exclusively.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2019, 07:52:52 AM »
So, spanner in the works time, who gets to decide when it's deserved, and who the audience is?   We've seen plenty of cases where comedians, in the furtherance of their art, have used these words and gotten in trouble.   More specifically, are some words ever deserved?  Can I use "n*****" and claim, "But they deserved it!"?   

This is kind of devolving into the "driving in the left lane" conversation, in that we're spending a lot of time on the easy answers (no, you DON'T have to endanger yourself and lose control of your vehicle to get into the right lane so Kyle Busch can pass you), but that's not when the problems occur.   That kid in Sarasota was talking very specifically to his "audience" - the girl he wanted to go to prom with - and, as El Barto said, there was a shit ton of "outrage by proxy" as a result.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »
People will always find a reason to feel offended.

I work for a social service organization where a good portion of our clients have some sort of mental illness. I try to refrain from using words like "Crazy", "Stupid" or "retarded" in the work place, even if I'm just trying to describe a situation, not an individual. But in recent years people will find a reason to feel offended.

But I also have no problem with not using certain words around certain people who might find those words offensive, as long as I don't see it as irrational. I'll give you an example to see what you guys think.

I knew someone who had OCD. Not the "I like things organized" OCD, but the "I know I just locked this door, but let me just triple check just in case, well might as well check a fourth time right?" type of person. He used to get offended every time someone claimed to have OCD just because they liked to have their desk organized. Was he right for feeling offended, or was it irrational?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 10:16:58 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2019, 09:58:34 AM »
He was probably right, just like bipolar people are right to be offended by people claiming to be bipolar just because (cue Instagram photo of a teenage girl that dyed half her hair, "Lol I'm so bipolar"). I don't know the guy but if his life is a contant source of stress, doubt and anxiety because he's so compulsively oriented to every single detail, I can see him getting annoyed by someone else claiming to have his same condition while in reality he doesn't.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2019, 10:08:15 AM »

That's correct, yes.

For me that was (and is) the case... direct correlation to it's definition as a "female dog" with regard to attitude... no real sexual connotation implied.  In my case, it's first use was more in jest than serious, but it was taken seriously by the person on the receiving end (which is why I say I was rightly chided for it); the second case was more clear cut and was the only word I could get out between gasping breaths.

Regarding who decides when it's deserved, in my personal case, I made the decision that it was deserved when her fist was used to separate my testicles in the same manner a chef may use a knife to separate figs that are stuck together.   As I said earlier, that story doesn't begin or end the way you might think...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2019, 10:25:23 AM »
He was probably right, just like bipolar people are right to be offended by people claiming to be bipolar just because (cue Instagram photo of a teenage girl that dyed half her hair, "Lol I'm so bipolar"). I don't know the guy but if his life is a contant source of stress, doubt and anxiety because he's so compulsively oriented to every single detail, I can see him getting annoyed by someone else claiming to have his same condition while in reality he doesn't.

But this is where I was going with the idea that it's not always about "awareness" or "safety", but sometimes there's a dose of the personal "f*** you".   It's all over the map; how many times have you seen a case where a young kid gets cancer and loses all his hair - a harrowing experience for a child in this day and age - and someone close shaves their head in solidarity.  So there, the knowledge that someone else is doing that, by choice, is supposed to be supportive and affirming.  The kid doesn't go "yo, bro, I have the cancer, not you, so don't go shaving your head thinking you understand.  You'll NEVER understand!" But here, where the OCD person or the bipolar person can see someone say that and realize "wow, they're not scared of that, they used that to describe themselves by choice, maybe it's not so bad after all!", instead they kind of pull the "but you're not as OCD as I am", in a kind of mental state swinging d*** contest.

And I fully understand that everyone's reaction is different; that's the ENTIRE point of me writing that; these reactions are so subjective and varied, that's it's almost impossible to "know your audience", and so the instruction is essentially to "not say anything", but at a point we're going to be void of anything to reference or talk about.  We're literally going to have to make up words to describe the situation, words that have zero other alternative implications. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »
You know what's funny is that I have a group of friends who are rather, well, unsophisticated (in the best possible way to describe their lifestyles), and when they're all hanging out together, the guys and girls both say "bitch" and nobody gets offended, because nobody is using it in an angry or derogatory manner towards another. Like, just last night, they were joking about memes and who that applies to most, and the girl didn't find one funny, and one of the guys said, "Biiiitch, please" and everybody including her just laughed.

Language and the context in which they're used, and how differently some people can take words, fascinates me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2019, 11:44:56 AM »

But this is where I was going with the idea that it's not always about "awareness" or "safety", but sometimes there's a dose of the personal "f*** you".   It's all over the map; how many times have you seen a case where a young kid gets cancer and loses all his hair - a harrowing experience for a child in this day and age - and someone close shaves their head in solidarity.  So there, the knowledge that someone else is doing that, by choice, is supposed to be supportive and affirming.  The kid doesn't go "yo, bro, I have the cancer, not you, so don't go shaving your head thinking you understand.  You'll NEVER understand!" But here, where the OCD person or the bipolar person can see someone say that and realize "wow, they're not scared of that, they used that to describe themselves by choice, maybe it's not so bad after all!", instead they kind of pull the "but you're not as OCD as I am", in a kind of mental state swinging d*** contest.

Well, as you said everyone reacts differently, but I guess that your examples are different; the casual mention of being OCD, bipolar, "crazy" or whatever is not seen as sympathizing with the afflicted person (as in shaving the head), or not being ashamed by it, but as trivializing an issue.

A girl is 17, and the other day she liked her hair but she got few likes on Instagram and now hates her hair, and she says she's "bipolar" because of that - an actual bipolar person, who takes pills to stay in check and that, without those pills, would feel like jumping off a roof, might be annoyed by that. There are some illnesses and conditions for which you can't show material support; you can shave your head or you can take the bus along with your wheelchair bound friend who can't drive, but you can't feel sad and then euphoric and then sad again on command just to show support to a bipolar person, or have a panick attack to sympathize with someone who suffers from sever anxiety.

Offline H2

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2019, 12:07:28 PM »
Yes, comrade, it's double-plus-bad to make politically incorrect insults

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2019, 02:13:22 PM »
I try to be smart enough to know what I can say to who. If its a close friend I say whatever I want and if not I use discretion and chose words more carefully.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2019, 12:11:30 PM »
is "politically correct insult" an oxymoron? Can I say oxymoron?

That word is offensive to oxygen and I will complain on its behalf.