Author Topic: Are your insults politically correct?  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Harmony

Are your insults politically correct?
« on: October 05, 2019, 09:59:08 AM »
*Warning - discussion of various forms of insults to follow.  Some words may be offensive to you.  If you are easily offended by words, please move on to another thread now*

Saw this tweet today and wondered what you forumers had to say about it.  I don't know the author but if you must know his Twitter handle, PM me and I will provide it to you.

Stigmatizing words that I've tried to stop using:

- stupid
 - moron
 - idiot
 - imbecilic
 - mad
 - crazy

Replacements that actually work much better anyway:

- ridiculous
 - absurd
 - nonsensical
 - foolish
 - ignorant
 - illogical

Are these words "stigmatizing"?  Why or why not?

Would you replace them with the suggested list?  Why or why not?

Do you ever use these words or words like them in public or private conversations?

What are your favorite insults?

Stigmatizing to me is a loaded word and I feel that it is a tad overly dramatic.  I am certain there are some who may feel them stigmatizing, and obviously that is their opinion and if anyone asked me to refrain from using them in their presence, I would try to accommodate them.  I have a co-worker who is "deeply offended" by the cuss words of others.  I swear like a sailor yet I try not to swear around her because she told me how she felt about once it in passing. 

I do use words like crazy and idiot and mad and stupid, mostly to describe a situation and not a person.  I do also use ridiculous and ignorant, but not as a conscious replacement for any of the prior group of words.

Most of us are aware that calling someone a "retard" is not politically correct and I would never call a person this word.  However, in the past I have used the word "retarded" to describe something that is slow (which is actually a definition of that word.)  Today, I would likely avoid that word in an effort not to be berated for it.

My current favorite insult is "daft".  So far, I have not found it problematic in polite company.

For the record, I have family members who are on the spectrum and family members who are treated for mental illness.  I probably have some family members who are low to average IQ, but that is only by my guess, not by doing official testing.   :P
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Are your insults politically correct?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 11:02:31 AM »
Knucklehead is a good one that the pc patrol hasn't deemed offensive yet. I was always big fan of retard, especially with a good south Boston pronunciation, but that of course has gone to the wayside.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 11:36:42 AM »
Im not a fan of this.  George Carlin has explained better why than I could.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 11:44:37 AM »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »
I love me some George Carlin and I don't disagree with his bit on PC and euphemisms.  And I don't disagree that context is important.  As is knowing your audience.   :heart

But with respect guys, pointing to a GC clip doesn't really answer my question.  Do you ever use words that are pc-d out of existence in your day to day conversations?  Or do you self-edit them at all?  And what are your favorite insults?  C'mon, I know you have a few good ones.   ;)

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 12:12:22 PM »
As a spouse of a special-ed teacher, I really, really have to restrain myself from calling things "retarded." It does slip out sometimes when I am not around her. I don't think to use that word to describe an individual though. Not through any self-editing, more because I just prefer other words, like "moron" and "idiot." Which I see are on the "stigmatized" list.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 12:15:54 PM »
Well, nowadays, I don't need to call people names nowadays, but man, if someone looks at me funny, I so want to call them Sunshine like the way wrestler William Regal did to Sting.  Also, bloody idiot would be a great insult as well.  Can we get some perspective from the English or UK regarding good insults?  I'm sure they have loads of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSvh4irwP2s

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 12:17:11 PM »
I love me some George Carlin and I don't disagree with his bit on PC and euphemisms.  And I don't disagree that context is important.  As is knowing your audience.   :heart

But with respect guys, pointing to a GC clip doesn't really answer my question.  Do you ever use words that are pc-d out of existence in your day to day conversations?  Or do you self-edit them at all?  And what are your favorite insults?  C'mon, I know you have a few good ones.   ;)

I'd probably say I used the word "retarded" more than I should.  I curse a ton in daily conversation, but I'm pretty good for not using offensive terms.  I have never found the words on this list to be offensive, maybe a bit aggressive but sometimes that's needed to make a point. I've called people morons to their face as well as told people I think they are stupid and felt those situations deserved the harsh criticisms and I didn't feel bad because I spoke the truth.  I don't think ridiculous is the same as stupid, at all.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 12:35:03 PM »
I think it also depends on the context. Is calling a flat earther "crazy" the same as calling "crazy" someone with depression or another form of disorder that is classified as mental illness?

As for insults, in Italy we're quite creative with those, so most of the insults I use cannot be translated  :lol heck, we basically even "invented" blasphemy, not really as insults but more as cuss words, imagine the n-word but 5 times worse, and directed directly at the divinity. Usually the more trivial the matter - someone cutting you off in traffic, slamming your foot against something, a device falls off your hands -, the angrier the blasphemy  :P
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 12:38:18 PM »
We had this discussion in PR not too long ago. I unabashedly use retarded because it truly is the best descriptor of the condition. Moreover, the euphemisms we're supposed to use are actually somewhat patronizing and/or offensive. Personally, I'd prefer being described as slow rather than intellectually disabled. And the truth is in another 10 years whatever the modern euphemism is will fall out of favor and we'll create another term that will inevitably see the same fate.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »
We had this discussion in PR not too long ago.

Yep, that was with me :) I don't have any particular problem with your language, but I know you (as well as I can considering we've never met). I just thought it worthwhile to mention many others could see your language as potentially hurtful, and those people are getting louder and louder and more quick to voice their disdain and displeasure. I know you don't care what you think, just wanted to do my friendly duty and point that out.

And the truth is in another 10 years whatever the modern euphemism is will fall out of favor and we'll create another term that will inevitably see the same fate.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 01:45:28 PM »
I haven't heard anything regarding some of those words being problematic.  In general however, I don't have a problem changing my language, or more accurately trying to, when someone asks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 02:55:04 PM »

All the time. The only word I have reservations about using is retarded, but I still use it occasionally depending on who I'm around and what we're discussing. I roll my eyes at the idea that "crazy" is an offensive term, for example. The way I talk about things might seem crass or crude to others but generally I just wish most people would lighten up with respect to words

If someone asks me to stop then I likely will, but if someone gets on my case because I say "this album blows/ that song is mighty stupid" then I ignore it, because that's an honest opinion and I feel the word is apt
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 04:00:49 PM »
I think it also depends on the context. Is calling a flat earther "crazy" the same as calling "crazy" someone with depression or another form of disorder that is classified as mental illness?

As for insults, in Italy we're quite creative with those, so most of the insults I use cannot be translated  :lol heck, we basically even "invented" blasphemy, not really as insults but more as cuss words, imagine the n-word but 5 times worse, and directed directly at the divinity. Usually the more trivial the matter - someone cutting you off in traffic, slamming your foot against something, a device falls off your hands -, the angrier the blasphemy  :P

I hear you...we also have words that are way worse.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 04:57:47 PM »
This is a great question, Harmony.  For me:

All the time?  No.  I haven't censored these words from my vocabulary, but as someone that talks to a lot of strangers, and often, I've come to just generally not say ANYTHING exceedingly negative.   I just don't.   There's too many people with too many "journeys" to know what you're getting at any given time, so if I don't know you (or you, me) my conversation is rather... neutral. 

At any given time?  Sure.   As Bart said, there are times when "retarded" is exactly the right word and I'll use it.  Big, big fan of "moron" (from Howard Stern's dad:  "Shut up you moron!"). "Idiot" gets a fair amount of airtime, as does "imbecile".   I've come to the same conclusion with words as I have with my looks:  I'm not going to please all the people all the time, so though I do try (see above), it's futile, and I please me, and go from there.  If I can sleep tonight knowing that in my heart I wasn't making fun of a person who was born with a 67 IQ through no fault of their own, then I have to be good with that. 

As an aside, the specific words in this thread don't fall into this category, but I honestly know far more insults and slurs from the PC police than I ever learned from anyone around me. I just shake my head at this notion of "bringing awareness".  The Southern Poverty Law Center has almost single-handedly equipped me with about five or seven good white supremacy symbols to use if I ever needed them (and of course, looking back, I've been a veritable David Duke, Jr. for all the times I've given the "ok" sign).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 05:16:17 PM »
(and of course, looking back, I've been a veritable David Duke, Jr. for all the times I've given the "ok" sign).

I literally just heard of this being an issue this past week. WTF? That's retarded. And moronic. And crazy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 05:33:15 PM »
Same thing with the bowl cut. To think, if he was around today people would look at Moe Howard totally differently.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 05:38:15 PM »
(and of course, looking back, I've been a veritable David Duke, Jr. for all the times I've given the "ok" sign).

I literally just heard of this being an issue this past week. WTF? That's retarded. And moronic. And crazy.

:rollin

Same thing with the bowl cut. To think, if he was around today people would look at Moe Howard totally differently.

Where's King with his picture of my bowl cut as Moe  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 05:38:50 PM »
It all depends on who is on the receiving end of an insult or retort.  My older brother and I still have a couple of joking insults we throw at one other that we would never say to anyone else, for example.   The better I know someone, the more I feel like I can joke around with them and throw out a word or two that is a bit more harsh, although there are certain persons (both family members and friends) who are very touchy now about anything that could be considered offensive, so I tread lightly around them. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 05:39:19 PM »

Yeah, you can't even drop an anvil on somebody's head these days because God forbid a wily coyote might see it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 06:24:12 PM »
It all depends on who is on the receiving end of an insult or retort.  My older brother and I still have a couple of joking insults we throw at one other that we would never say to anyone else, for example.   The better I know someone, the more I feel like I can joke around with them and throw out a word or two that is a bit more harsh, although there are certain persons (both family members and friends) who are very touchy now about anything that could be considered offensive, so I tread lightly around them.

For sure.

Denver's 2 SB's were founded on cheating the salary cap.   :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2019, 06:26:16 PM »
Yeah, knowing your audience is key, especially in my business. Some of the stuff I say to certain people at best could get me in a spot of hot water, and at worst could get me fired for sexual harrassment, but with the right people, saying it is just Tuesday.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2019, 06:33:35 PM »
Are my insults politically correct?

Don't be a retard, of course they are.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2019, 06:36:23 PM »
Yeah, knowing your audience is key

Completely agree, I always try to err on the side of caution.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2019, 06:36:51 PM »
Yeah, knowing your audience is key, especially in my business. Some of the stuff I say to certain people at best could get me in a spot of hot water, and at worst could get me fired for sexual harrassment, but with the right people, saying it is just Tuesday.

The problem is that maybe you pissed off some young waitress, and she overhears you talking like that in the kitchen. Your audience doesn't necessarily have to be the ones to have you strung up.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2019, 07:01:08 PM »

The problem is that maybe you pissed off some young waitress, and she overhears you talking like that in the kitchen. Your audience doesn't necessarily have to be the ones to have you strung up.

Very true, though in this business people that sensitive/vindicative are few and very far between. Still, at my aged place in the biz, I find myself much more restrained.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2019, 07:13:46 PM »

If you're not cheating, you're not trying. #thepatriotway :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2019, 07:53:25 PM »

If you're not cheating, you're not trying. #thepatriotway :biggrin:

:lol

*Chest bump*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2019, 07:54:36 PM »
Are my insults politically correct?

Don't be a retard, of course they are.

I'm going to hit you over the head with a T-bone.

Offline 1upmushroom

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2019, 07:59:06 PM »
I've stopped using "retarded". From the above list, it was the easiest one for me to drop because (subjectively) it has the strongest connotation with an actual medical condition.

I know that "idiot", "imbecile" and "moron" originated as IQ metrics but they've become colloquialisms to such an extent that I find it difficult to remember their provenance every time I use them. I'm pretty good at considering the audience though, so I wouldn't say it around people who are likely to be offended.

I hardly ever use "mad" or "crazy" - usually it's "irrational", "erratic" or "f'ed up", depending on the scale.

I rarely use "stupid" because I've gradually come to believe that measuring intelligence is a fraught and imprecise exercise at best. It can also have a pretty devastating effect on people whose abilities don't fit the circumstances they're in, and whose intelligence is judged by being unable to adapt to their situation. I've met people who are completely clueless in one area and as completely brilliant in another, but because they were judged by their failures first, they are typecast and defined by those failures.

If you wonder why I use "idiot" and "imbecile" after saying all this, it's because to me they're closer related to the idea of competence than intelligence. Again, completely subjective.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:05:44 PM by 1upmushroom »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2019, 08:09:46 PM »
I've also dropped the American pronunciation of 'cunt', sticking with the more socially acceptable British pronunciation.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2019, 08:14:01 PM »
I say "C-note."

There are certain words I will never use.  The "N" word is #1.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2019, 08:15:12 PM »

Nutrition?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2019, 08:17:48 PM »

Nutrition?

Non-alcoholic beer?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2019, 12:56:23 AM »
It's funny, on Twitter the other day, Carlin was trending. I wanted to see what was up, so I investigated. PC police and "SJWs" were talking about how George Carlin would be a big supporter of the PC Movement and Cancel Culture we have going on today based on this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Xkey41AYQ mainly the 9:00 mark.

I don't think he would be a supporter of what's going on right now. I think he would find the sensitivity of today to be laughable. He has an entire routine on being Politically Correct and how it's dumbing people down. You can't pick and choose parts of his routine to support your side, mainly because he hated everything almost equally.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen