Author Topic: The Walking Dead - TWD / Fear TWD / The World Beyond  (Read 13210 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Walking Dead - TWD / Fear TWD / The World Beyond
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2022, 07:55:18 AM »
Little 'bump'....but....if anyone is still watching the main show.....this past weekend was the first episode of the closing half of the final season.

The show is just a shell of it's former self now. I appreciate what Angela Kang was able to do by coming in and cleaning up the debacle of not having the two main F'n characters of the Comic, Rick and Carl.....pretty vital to the story.....killed off by that narcissist Gimple. Destroyed the possibility of a cool ending to a neat franchise. Anyway, it's pretty laughable at the moment and I'm just watching now due to the fact I've watched thus far. Just want to see  how they close it out but they missed a great chance with how the comic ended because I thought that ending was pretty dang good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2022, 08:26:15 AM »
Rick and Carl made it through the comics and were both offed in the show (I think I read Rick didn't die but disappeared)?   

Is anyone still left from the OG cast?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2022, 08:35:43 AM »
Is anyone still left from the OG cast?

Daryl, Carol and Maggie.

Michonne is 'alive' but she went on a walk-about so to speak because she found evidence Rick was still alive....which...AMC has now announced an upcoming Rick/Michonne series. And, there is a Maggie/Negan series being filmed right now......oh and the Daryl series is set to begin filming as well. I mean, you talk about milking the shit out of a show/concept...AMC is just churning away  :lol

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2022, 08:37:22 AM »
 :lol :lol

That's ridiculous.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2022, 10:27:33 AM »
:lol :lol

That's ridiculous.

I mean, the early seasons of the show were pretty good....heck, I have enjoyed the bulk of the series....but this last bit of them trying to close out the story has been brutal. Especially since I know how it all went down in the graphic novel....which was awesome.

The 'grittiness' and 'feel' of the show is gone...it's essentially a soap opera now with even the sets looking extremely 'staged' and soap opera like. It's comical actually.....I noticed stone work on one of the sets this past sunday that looks like it's something I'd have thrown together to help one of my kids with a school project. It's bad. In lieu of 'blank' gun rounds they now throw in CGI's muzzle flashes and stock gun firing noises.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2022, 10:58:16 AM »
I'm still watching - I watched the very first episode the night it premiered and will watch through the end.  I have my favorite moments and seasons, but it's at least nice to watch it through to the end. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2022, 11:03:52 AM »
I'm still watching - I watched the very first episode the night it premiered and will watch through the end.  I have my favorite moments and seasons, but it's at least nice to watch it through to the end.

Same.....all in all I have greatly enjoyed the show. I just think choosing to kill Carl off instead of giving Chandler Riggs a raise was a massive error in judgment.....especially since that move pissed Andrew Lincoln off and essentially ended the show as we knew it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2022, 02:08:39 PM »
I actually recently started watching S11 since it finally aired on HBO.  :lol Man I genuinly have no idea why I even bother watching it because I have 0% interest in any character in the show anymore.

I can't stand how the zombies after all these years are still such a pain in the ass for everyone to deal with, especially since they utilize dramatic music every freakin encouter anyone have with the zombies which is basically every 15mins in every episode since S01.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2022, 01:44:06 PM »
I’ve only kept watching for the past two years because I knew it was almost done and I wanted to see it through to the end. For the most part I have been completely disinterested, although Sunday’s episode didn't drag for me like a lot of them do now.

It’s nuts that they have three spin-offs coming next year. Maybe if they just went with one they might draw a decent audience, but with three shows out there….yeah, good luck.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2022, 07:16:48 AM »
Good Lord......this show is BA-ROOT-TAL. It's literally a soap opera right now, from the 'look' to the acting.....it's just so bad. I honestly feel bad for the actors/actresses that are stuck in this show right now, especially the ones who've been a part of it for a long time. BUT, I think AMC deserves this version of the story and product given how they mistreated the two biggest stars of the show that made it what it was.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2022, 10:02:16 AM »
Given that these are the final episode, you’d think they would focus more on the core characters, rather than all these Commonwealth people. I don’t feel connected to those characters at all.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2022, 10:08:24 AM »
Given that these are the final episode, you’d think they would focus more on the core characters, rather than all these Commonwealth people. I don’t feel connected to those characters at all.

Yeah....it's a cluster  :censored. The graphic novel closed out the story so well....but by screwing up and killing Carl and losing Andrew Lincoln because of that.....they're now telling a story that isn't even close to the graphic novel and it's just plain dumb....so horribly written and the 'cheese' factor at this point is just tough to take. I'm only watching at this point just to close it out and be done with it.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2022, 10:43:44 AM »

They're taking a high-level approach to it.  It's been a while since I've read the comics, but the setup is similar - the Commonwealth is a re-creation of society of the past, with a very strict caste system based on money.  The elite rule over the middle/lower class, which doesn't mesh well with the core characters.  Our characters have been living for so many years without that caste system, where everyone tends to pitch in equally with a limited form of self-government.

So the Commonwealth characters are important to the story, but the show is definitely writing it more loosely. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2022, 10:56:53 AM »

They're taking a high-level approach to it.  It's been a while since I've read the comics, but the setup is similar - the Commonwealth is a re-creation of society of the past, with a very strict caste system based on money.  The elite rule over the middle/lower class, which doesn't mesh well with the core characters.  Our characters have been living for so many years without that caste system, where everyone tends to pitch in equally with a limited form of self-government.

So the Commonwealth characters are important to the story, but the show is definitely writing it more loosely.

That's the gist of what is in the comics for sure. But your description of the show 'writing it more loosely' is way too kind. The more accurate summary is the writing on the show is utter crap and unless you read the comic you'd have no idea that was how the commonwealth was set up. Only in the last episode was it even mentioned briefly by another character they horribly adapted to the screen.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2022, 11:06:00 AM »
I think the last episode I saw was the heads (of some main characters) on spikes.  With Sam Morten playing the villain, that was maybe 2 or 3 years ago - is there any point continuing at all from there?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2022, 11:24:24 AM »
I think the last episode I saw was the heads (of some main characters) on spikes.  With Sam Morten playing the villain, that was maybe 2 or 3 years ago - is there any point continuing at all from there?

Have you read the graphic novel? If so, then....you'd probably be pretty irritated with how they tell the story. And...as I've mentioned....the show becomes more and more 'soap opera-esk' as the seasons continue on. Nothing like the look or feel of the early seasons....it's just basically an ATM source from AMC right now....they gave up trying to make it compelling in any shape or fashion years ago. It has been a rinse/repeat scenario for a while now.

There are WAY more compelling series out there to invest time in. 

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2022, 10:34:07 PM »
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED LOVED LOVED the first 6+ seasons of the show, Not going to get into EVERY dumb mistake they've made since, but I would say the last 4 years or so have been UTTER CRAP! I still watch (I'm a completist), but I really can't wait for this to end soon. I am 62 and in all my years of watching shows, NO SHOW has ever fallen so far off the cliff as this show has for me. :facepalm:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2022, 11:56:00 PM »
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED LOVED LOVED the first 6+ seasons of the show, Not going to get into EVERY dumb mistake they've made since, but I would say the last 4 years or so have been UTTER CRAP! I still watch (I'm a completist), but I really can't wait for this to end soon. I am 62 and in all my years of watching shows, NO SHOW has ever fallen so far off the cliff as this show has for me. :facepalm:

Right there with ya. I dug the hell out of the show and it was always dependable to have quality writing and decent storylines. When they killed off Carl and subsequently lost Andrew Lincoln because of that the show just took a dive.

It’s SOOOOO bad right now it’s comical.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »

Right there with ya. I dug the hell out of the show and it was always dependable to have quality writing and decent storylines. When they killed off Carl and subsequently lost Andrew Lincoln because of that the show just took a dive.

I read an article that said Andrew left the show because he wanted to be with his family. Did he ever specifically say he left because they killed Carl off, and didn't they kill him off because Carl's actor wanted to leave the show for school?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2022, 10:46:05 AM »

I read an article that said Andrew left the show because he wanted to be with his family. Did he ever specifically say he left because they killed Carl off, and didn't they kill him off because Carl's actor wanted to leave the show for school?

My recollection is similar to yours:

1.  Chandler Riggs wants to leave the show for school. 
2.  Chandler changes his mind and decides to stay
3.  Show writes off Carl anyways
4.  Andrew Lincoln states that he disagrees with the Carl decision
5.  Andrew Lincoln leaves the show for family reasons.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2022, 11:06:27 AM »

I've read the same thing in several locations. But, (and I'll try to dig it up) he was a part of a panel shortly after Chandler Riggs was fired and killed off....and his reaction to a question about the situation CLEARLY showed that he was furious about what they did to Chandler and how they handled that situation of just not giving the kid a raise after he turned 18. I think he said and did all the right things to deflect but there's no doubt in my mind he left the show due to what they did to Riggs.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2022, 11:09:52 AM »

My recollection is similar to yours:

1.  Chandler Riggs wants to leave the show for school. 
2.  Chandler changes his mind and decides to stay
3.  Show writes off Carl anyways
4.  Andrew Lincoln states that he disagrees with the Carl decision
5.  Andrew Lincoln leaves the show for family reasons.

He never wanted to leave the show for school....he was going to attend a school an hour or two away and wanted a modified shooting schedule. AND....he had just turned 18 and approached AMC about getting a raise. They agreed to the schedule.....he bought a house and signed up for school.....then before they negotiated a new deal he was killed off. Lincoln was pissed as he should have been and left the show "for family reasons"

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2022, 08:01:08 PM »

If they didn't completely blow and "f" with Chandler (carl) I had it on good authority that Andrew would have stuck around for at least another season. MANY stars on the show were completely BEFUDDLED when they killed CARL off! BUT the writing has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD the last 4 years or so, that the show still would have sucked regardless of the Carl decision! And that is THE PERFECT wording...COMICAL! :facepalm:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2022, 08:16:27 AM »
If they didn't completely blow and "f" with Chandler (carl) I had it on good authority that Andrew would have stuck around for at least another season. MANY stars on the show were completely BEFUDDLED when they killed CARL off! BUT the writing has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD the last 4 years or so, that the show still would have sucked regardless of the Carl decision! And that is THE PERFECT wording...COMICAL! :facepalm:

The decision to kill off Carl was just utterly dumb. The Graphic Novel's storyline once they arrived at the Commonwealth was really good....and it was pretty much based around Rick and Carl. Without those two characters to 'close out' the show you can tell they're just winging it and it is utterly brutal to watch. The comic book ending was pretty cool and about as perfect of an 'ending' to this story as you can tell.....and their dumb ass decision to kill off Carl and then subsequently lose Rick because of that cost them greatly.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2022, 09:52:09 AM »

The decision to kill off Carl was just utterly dumb. The Graphic Novel's storyline once they arrived at the Commonwealth was really good....and it was pretty much based around Rick and Carl. Without those two characters to 'close out' the show you can tell they're just winging it and it is utterly brutal to watch. The comic book ending was pretty cool and about as perfect of an 'ending' to this story as you can tell.....and their dumb ass decision to kill off Carl and then subsequently lose Rick because of that cost them greatly.

:tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2022, 02:07:07 PM »
I wish more people were watching this so we could just have a good ol' fashion "rip on it" session. It's cringworthingly bad. Sad thing is.....there are only three episodes left and there is no way they're going to tie up the series in that amount of time. It's evident that they're just laying the foundation for the seventy five spin offs they have planned.

Real disappointed in how that series was handled. AMC just chose to franchise it and rake in the $$$. Which, I totally get it....but there's a way to do it AND still tell a good story. They really dropped the ball on closing this series out. Missed the mark big time.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2022, 07:17:01 AM »
I wish more people were watching this so we could just have a good ol' fashion "rip on it" session. It's cringworthingly bad. Sad thing is.....there are only three episodes left and there is no way they're going to tie up the series in that amount of time. It's evident that they're just laying the foundation for the seventy five spin offs they have planned.

Real disappointed in how that series was handled. AMC just chose to franchise it and rake in the $$$. Which, I totally get it....but there's a way to do it AND still tell a good story. They really dropped the ball on closing this series out. Missed the mark big time.

Good lord.....this show. How far the mighty has fallen. Next week is the finale of the entire show and it's nowhere near telling a full story or being able to have any sort of 'decent' resolution. Plain and simple....it's just 'bad'. Embarrassingly bad.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2022, 09:48:09 AM »

Good lord.....this show. How far the mighty has fallen. Next week is the finale of the entire show and it's nowhere near telling a full story or being able to have any sort of 'decent' resolution. Plain and simple....it's just 'bad'. Embarrassingly bad.

I'm so with you on all of this.

My wife and I have been watching from the beginning. In many ways, the show has been a consistent thread running through our relationship, as it was one of the first things we bonded over.

All of these years later, my marriage is going strong, but 'our' show is barely limping across the finish line.

Whoever said it was right on: this final season has merely been a vehicle for setting up spin-offs.

I won't say I'm as disappointed as I was with GOT, but to be fair, TWD has been a sub-par drama for years.

I miss the days when 'Terminus' posters were plastered all around the local mall. I miss the days when the comic was just a bit ahead of the show. And, to be quite honest, I miss Andrew Lincoln—it just hasn't been the same without him.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2022, 09:54:01 AM »

I'm so with you on all of this.

My wife and I have been watching from the beginning. In many ways, the show has been a consistent thread running through our relationship, as it was one of the first things we bonded over.

All of these years later, my marriage is going strong, but 'our' show is barely limping across the finish line.

Whoever said it was right on: this final season has merely been a vehicle for setting up spin-offs.

I won't say I'm as disappointed as I was with GOT, but to be fair, TWD has been a sub-par drama for years.

I miss the days when 'Terminus' posters were plastered all around the local mall. I miss the days when the comic was just a bit ahead of the show. And, to be quite honest, I miss Andrew Lincoln—it just hasn't been the same without him.

Yep...100% Not only that....but I just miss the 'feel' of what the show once was. It was gritty and 'real'. It's literally a soap opera now. 'Clean' look....clean scenes....clean, everything. It's comical.

Killing off Carl (screwing Chandler Riggs) was the kill shot. Andrew Lincoln 100% left the show because of what they did to that kid and that was your backbone of the the show.....those two characters. Scott Gimple was/is an idiot which....at one time he was the 'man'. But I believe he started believing his own hype and his ego took over.....like he could do no wrong and he made a horrible error in judgment on the Chandler Riggs deal...or should I say....non deal.

Anyway, I'm sticking it out due to I've been here this long might as well.....and truth be told I'll probably watch the spinoffs.....but nothing is going to recapture the magic of the early show. It's now just a money making scheme and not really storytelling.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2022, 10:31:47 PM »
The simple fact that this show went from 18MM viewers (S5/6) to barely a million in last 4 years or so says it all! It is HORRIBLY BAD and I for one cannot wait for the finale....but for all the wrong reasons! :censored :censored :censored

I loved this show so much, that I actually re-wrote/wrote basically 3 years after E6.1 because i was so disgusted with how things went down. I think I wrote up to or close to The Whispere's storyline (another potentially great storyline they f'd up) but the show got so bad, i stopped. Still haven't shown anyone, but I am quite proud of it. I called it: The Walking Dead: REANIMATED     :corn

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2022, 08:11:35 AM »
If you can find a way to share that in a simple way I’d love to read it.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2022, 08:46:47 AM »
I'm more excited for the Talking Dead reunion - I believe a lot of former cast members will be on hand for it. 

The show is what it is and the first 6 seasons were excellent, as far as I'm concerned.  All out War was dragged out too long and losing Rick and Carl changed the show, but I do think they redeemed themselves decently with The Whisperers.  What bugged me is that they became too afraid of killing off major characters.  I'd have more respect if they kept truer to the comics, such as Rosita and Ezekiel being part of the heads on spikes.  Instead they got rid of a few minor characters and a bunch of newer ones in that moment. 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2022, 11:33:31 AM »
Haven’t kept up with this show in a long time but I’ll be tuning in for the finale. Like others have said, once Carl died, Rick left, and Michonne left, there wasn’t much reason to keep going with it.
But I sunk so much time into watching the first 9 seasons, I wanna see how it ends.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2022, 05:15:26 PM »
Haven’t kept up with this show in a long time but I’ll be tuning in for the finale. Like others have said, once Carl died, Rick left, and Michonne left, there wasn’t much reason to keep going with it.
But I sunk so much time into watching the first 9 seasons, I wanna see how it ends.

Yeah……we will see how they ‘end’ it tonight. But it’s really not an end……just setting up the Rick/Michonne , Maggie/Negan and Daryl spin off series.

It’s a freaking shame they couldn’t have stuck to the graphic novel storyline closer because that was as about as good as an ‘ending’ as you could have got to something like a zombie apocalypse

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2022, 08:42:48 PM »
It ended as good as it could have ended, I guess. I feel like the time skip stuff could have been it’s own episode.
I’ll check out the Rick and Michonne spin-off, but nothing else interests me. A Maggie/Negan spin-off just sounds bizarre? I guess he’s had his redemption arc, but it’s still weird to go road tripping with the wife of the guy whose brains you smashed in with a baseball bat whilst cracking jokes. Not sure how you come back from that.
The Daryl show doesn’t interest me. FTWD interests me even less, never bothered with the other spinoffs.