Author Topic: The Walking Dead - TWD / Fear TWD / The World Beyond  (Read 12838 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Walking Dead - S10 Discussion (If anyone's Still Watching)
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2020, 08:07:46 PM »
I was thinking of maybe checking out season 9 since everyone raved about it. but if there is no end in sight and season 10 is wishy washy, forget it then. I semi hope the movies with Rick are worth it. But I'm only watching those if the reviews are good. Come to think of it are they still doing the movies?

Movies are still on. And, I’d recommend 9 & 10. They both contain some ‘filler’ episodes but I like the mood and feel that Kang brought to the show after Gimple pulled his ‘emperors new clothes’ and derailed it a bit. All in all they’re back on track more or less. But it will never get back to the show it was in its hay day.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2020, 05:20:16 AM »
I think part of what made me fall off the wagon back when I stopped watching was the lack of a greater purpose. Once you (and the characters) found out that there was no cure, the show basically lost that bigger goal to work towards. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think there should be a cure but I think a bigger purpose or driving force to get the characters from A to B is a good thing to have. If you take a show like Lost for example - characters are stranded in a shitty situation as well but the bigger goal of getting off the island is always there in the background. Now I haven't seen the last few seasons of TWD since Negan came into the picture so maybe something like this has been added since but to me it just felt a bit aimless. I get it's about survival but I think just for my own enjoyment it would have been better if there was a 'mission' type element to the plot as well.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2020, 12:46:36 PM »
I was thinking of maybe checking out season 9 since everyone raved about it. but if there is no end in sight and season 10 is wishy washy, forget it then. I semi hope the movies with Rick are worth it. But I'm only watching those if the reviews are good. Come to think of it are they still doing the movies?

I'd be very surprised if they're still happening. Not a single update since they were first announced to my knowledge. They said they were going to be released in theaters, but with interest in the show waning, I could see it just becoming a TV movie or a miniseries.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2020, 11:25:46 AM »
The boys and I are halfway through S2 of my 're-watch' and their first exposure to it. Just got done with the 'Sohphia' reveal at the barn. They were stunned  :omg:  But they're digging it big time.

I have to say....this re-watch has been pretty awesome. It's really made me appreciate what the show 'was'......it's been such a fun thing to see. The bummer part is I know that the Darabont era is coming to a quick end and we get the Mazerra era......of which he completely destroys the Andrea character.....botches the Governor and Tyrese characters and pretty much signals the start of the slow decline of product quality the show experiences.

Now, I still 'enjoy' the show to this day....I just understand it's simply never going to be as good as it was those first two seasons. I think when Gimple first came along he did a pretty darn good job of steering the ship back on course and gave us some quality stuff. I mean, he and Kang both have written a number of these episodes in the first two seasons that were 'the' awesome episodes so he knew TWD and how to do the show. His demise was that dumb choice at the Glenn fake out death when everyone knew he wasn't really dead and then of course making the 'reveal' of who Negan killed span the entire summer instead of just ending the season with Glenn and Abraham dying. After that, he had completely lost touch with his audience. I think he got to big for his britches so to speak and thought all of his ideas were great and no one would tell him they sucked.

It's so cool seeing Shane though be pretty much WAY ahead of his time. He was thinking the way it should be while Rick was still holding on to a world that was long gone. Too bad he went nuts.....they could have used him down the road. Can't wait to rewatch 'Nebraska'.....love that bar scene at the end.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2020, 09:41:47 AM »
Finished up S3 with the boys last night. Man, it's an utter travesty how bad Mazzera F'd Andrea's character up.....the whole Governor arc for that matter. Just butchered it. Does the same to Tyrese's character also. But I will say....it's been fun doing this re-watch with them. Even with dropping the ball on Andrea's character and just taking the show off the rails with the governor arc.....it's still been pretty cool.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2020, 10:07:17 AM »

I'd be very surprised if they're still happening. Not a single update since they were first announced to my knowledge. They said they were going to be released in theaters, but with interest in the show waning, I could see it just becoming a TV movie or a miniseries.

They are still happening.....just haven't said much about them because of the pandemic.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/walking-dead-creator-robert-kirkman-095422911.html

Offline Volante99

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2020, 11:23:53 AM »
Like 3-4 years there was a rumor in my family “people from the Walking Dead” were location scouting an area near my Grandfather’s farm- a rural area with lots of creepy old farmhouses. I thought it was BS that Walking Dead would be filming in an area about 1200 miles north of Atlanta but then I read a quote from Andrew Lincoln saying they’d like to explore different settings, including what it would be like to fight zombies in a snowy/cold climate.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2020, 10:19:19 AM »
TWD flagship show to end after S11. BUT, S11 will be 24 episodes with 12 to air in 2021 and 12 t air in 2022. Then, they're doing a spin off with Daryl and Carol. Additionally, they're going to do some sort of anthem type series with 'one off' episodes about individual stories....maybe some back stories from characters we know.

You knew this was coming because it simply hasn't been the show it once was. I'm just curious as to how this will play in to the 'Rick' movie(s) and how they're going to end it considering they are missing some key characters from the comics to be able to end it in the manner in which they did in the comic.

https://tvline.com/2020/09/09/the-walking-dead-final-season-11-end-date-last-episodes/

Side Note:  Me and the kiddos are plugging along with the re-watch. We are a few episodes in to S7. I didn't let them watch the Negan/Abraham/Glenn scene.....they 'heard' it but I didn't let them see it. Just wasn't comfortable with allowing it even though they're ok with some of the gore that was just over the top. I have to say I'm enjoying the heck out of the re-watch and the re-introduction to Negan IMO was done really well. I like JDM's portrayal of him.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2020, 07:04:12 AM »
I enjoyed the season finale - maybe I'm just starved for TWD content.  But it was packed full of tense moments and I had to laugh at Negan vs. Beta.  "Hey shithead" and "Holy shit, do you know who that asshole was?"  Jeffrey Dean Morgan is just so good in that role.  Having finished the comics back in March and April, it's fun to watch them start moving towards the end. 

I watched World Beyond as well, since it ties into both TWD and FTWD along with the upcoming movies.  I had to fight to keep my attention on it, but we'll see where it goes.  It wasn't bad, but it's a new group of characters that have zero experience outside of their little protected community, so naturally, the show is about them leaving that community.  It's a little hard for me to go backward when we've had 15 seasons across two shows that now have characters dispatching walkers with ease. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2020, 08:29:23 AM »
I enjoyed the season finale - maybe I'm just starved for TWD content.  But it was packed full of tense moments and I had to laugh at Negan vs. Beta.  "Hey shithead" and "Holy shit, do you know who that asshole was?"  Jeffrey Dean Morgan is just so good in that role.  Having finished the comics back in March and April, it's fun to watch them start moving towards the end. 

I watched World Beyond as well, since it ties into both TWD and FTWD along with the upcoming movies.  I had to fight to keep my attention on it, but we'll see where it goes.  It wasn't bad, but it's a new group of characters that have zero experience outside of their little protected community, so naturally, the show is about them leaving that community.  It's a little hard for me to go backward when we've had 15 seasons across two shows that now have characters dispatching walkers with ease.

Yeah.....the finale wasn't bad.....it just lost its full potential not being aired when it should have. To go that long between episodes it's impossible to keep that same 'feel' for that finale. Kang has done a great job at getting the show back on track and moving well. I'm glad she's at the helm to do this last season.

I didn't get to The World Beyond but will one night this week. I have no expectations for it.....I'm just a fan of zombie movies and stuff so even if it's horrible I'm sure I'll stick around and watch it.

The re-watch I've been doing with my two oldest sons has been great. We're up to S8 now....the 'All Out War' and I have to say.....I've enjoyed the heck out of the re-watch. Mainly because there's no 'suffering' through the slow episodes. When that was week to week it was brutal but now it's done and over in a blink. Andrew Lincoln as Rick has cemented himself as a great character and I've come to appreciate JDM as Negan a lot more with the re-watch. He was put in an impossible situation to translate comic book Negan to screen and I think he's done all he can to do it.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Walking Dead - TWD / Fear TWD / The World Beyond
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2020, 02:05:56 PM »
I changed the thread title so this can be the catch all for all the iterations of the show.

Anyone catch the S6 premiere? It was pretty good and the concept for this season looks really neat! This show has been so strange. It's had some utter crap seasons and episodes but at the same time some really strong seasons and storylines. I think this season looks like it'll be one of the strong ones.

What about 'the world beyond'? Anyone watch yet? I haven't seen the 2nd episode yet but I like the idea and the fact that this is already billed as a limited series at two seasons. So you know they have a concise story they are wanting to tell.

Online faizoff

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2020, 02:12:30 PM »
Been thinking of the TWD since I rewatched the first zombieland which was even funnier than I remember. I might do a rewatch soon, the first season is great of course and I personally enjoyed season 2 even if it was a bit slow.

I stopped watching after two episodes of season 8 and I'm not sure I'll get back to it yet, my rewatch may decide that.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2020, 03:17:23 PM »
Been thinking of the TWD since I rewatched the first zombieland which was even funnier than I remember. I might do a rewatch soon, the first season is great of course and I personally enjoyed season 2 even if it was a bit slow.

I stopped watching after two episodes of season 8 and I'm not sure I'll get back to it yet, my rewatch may decide that.

I've been re watching the original show with my two oldest sons and I have to say it's been pretty enjoyable. The best thing is that it's not week to week so you can get through the slow episodes pretty quick. The things that bugged me before aren't as glaring now. Obviously the early seasons were prime Walking Dead.....but we are in S8 now and I've had a great time with the rewatch and am enjoying the heck out of it.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2020, 07:42:52 PM »
The first episode of Fear was pretty good.  I love that they introduced what looked to be a new, formidable bad guy and dispatched him quickly.  At least Morgan is standing up to the current bad guys on the show.  I don't recall much about them and what they stand for, other than that they just seem to be a female-led version of the Saviors.  I did read that they're going to resolve Dwight's search for Sherry, so that will be a nice tie-in to TWD.  I have to give Gimple credit for doing the world-building between the shows and tying everything together. 

The second episode of World Beyond was better, with more action sequences and backstories.  It's amusing to watch how a group of younger kids handles themselves in this world, rather than the veterans of the other two shows.  They're very naive and not careful at all.  It is nice that it's limited to two seasons.  I think the first will be their journey to this place in New York and then the second season will explain more about this company with the helicopters, and tie in with TWD/Jadis/Rick and the films. 

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2020, 07:33:01 AM »
I'm gonna echo the sentiment on Fear—the first episode was pretty damn good.

To be honest, after last season, I was done with that show. But my wife wanted to continue watching, so I finally relented and we watched episodes 1 and 2 last night, and I was pleasently surprised.

Add to that the satisfying Season 10 conclusion from the main show, and it's been a pretty good couple of weeks for zombie lovers.

As far as 'The World Beyond,' I have little interest as none of the trailer-content has piqued my interest. Anyone else check it out? If so, what are your thoughts? Is it worth the time investment?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2020, 07:34:14 AM »
Looking back through this thread, I already see a ton of replies about 'The World Beyond,' so I suppose I already have my answer ;D

Offline Grappler

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2020, 09:32:41 AM »
Looking back through this thread, I already see a ton of replies about 'The World Beyond,' so I suppose I already have my answer ;D

It's getting a little better each week, though I tend to check for out a bit while I'm watching.  I do like the mystery behind the plot (who is this company, what  do they do, and why is the kid's dad that works for them reaching out with warnings to the kids?). 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2020, 11:14:58 AM »

It's getting a little better each week, though I tend to check for out a bit while I'm watching.  I do like the mystery behind the plot (who is this company, what  do they do, and why is the kid's dad that works for them reaching out with warnings to the kids?).

Yeah. I think that the draw for me is that we know it's only a two season show so I'm hoping that constrained episode count will force them to tell a pretty concise story. I haven't seen third episode yet but my only complaint is that a 'main' character hasn't been killed off yet. A group of teenagers out in a world they've been shielded from for ten years should lose at least 2 or 3 characters minimum.

'Fear' is such a weird show. I've been 'done' with that show on a few occasions then it'll throw a solid season or a solid half season at you to get you to stay. I'll say this season looks pretty dang good so far.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2020, 12:37:14 PM »
I'm really digging FTWD this season so far! It's pretty interesting and neat how they're telling this story now. Very cool  :tup

The World Beyond is honestly boring as all heck. I'm only watching it because I know it's only two seasons and that it will tie directly in to the Rick Grimes movies. It's already shown us a lot about the people that he was taken to. But the story itself with these kids on this road trip is SO bad.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2021, 11:47:19 AM »
It’s back. There was a new episode last Sunday. Haven’t watched it yet.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2021, 11:52:37 AM »
It’s back. There was a new episode last Sunday. Haven’t watched it yet.

Totally forgot about it. Will have to catch up.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2021, 04:41:09 AM »
I think the actual episodes start this coming weekend, unless you had AMC Premiere, which gave subscribers the new episode last weekend.   The only new episode my DVR had was a preview show ala Talking Dead, which I didn't feel like watching. 

I'm excited for some new episodes.  They're supposed to be smaller in scale due to COVID, and will tell a few mini-stories and also a few things that were supposed to be part of the next and final season.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2021, 08:20:12 AM »
I really liked that episode.  it was funny to see how they filmed post-pandemic, with smaller character groups together and socially distanced walkers (using shadows of approaching walkers to show imminent danger as opposed to larger groups of walkers together), but the story was excellent.  Loved seeing Maggie and the introduction of the group that she's had to deal with, the threat from them, and some great dialogue with her and Daryl. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2021, 09:33:19 AM »
I really liked that episode.  it was funny to see how they filmed post-pandemic, with smaller character groups together and socially distanced walkers (using shadows of approaching walkers to show imminent danger as opposed to larger groups of walkers together), but the story was excellent.  Loved seeing Maggie and the introduction of the group that she's had to deal with, the threat from them, and some great dialogue with her and Daryl.

Yeah. It was a pretty neat episode. I thought the sound was weird though? Seemed low budget or something. Anyway, did you catch what that guy said before he blew himself up? I didn't understand him?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2021, 09:45:45 AM »

Yeah. It was a pretty neat episode. I thought the sound was weird though? Seemed low budget or something. Anyway, did you catch what that guy said before he blew himself up? I didn't understand him?

He said that "Pope marked her," meaning that the leader of this Reaper group is targeting Maggie.  I'm guessing we'll see more of them in the future.  I turned on closed captioning so I wouldn't have to turn the volume way up - i've been doing that ever since I had kids and needed to keep the volume down as they slept.   :lol

It's nice to watch a show that is currently filming, but isn't incorporating the pandemic into the script.  Law & Order SVU is irritating me by having the characters wear masks and talking about the pandemic in the show. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2021, 10:12:28 AM »

Ahh....thank you. That makes sense then when Daryl was trying to console her about what that guy said. It's interesting because (SPOILER) the Reaper's aren't in the comics....this is new....so I'm curious as to how they'll fit in?

And...I guess TWD has always been a pandemic show  :lol  just the brutal aftermath of one.

He said that "Pope marked her," meaning that the leader of this Reaper group is targeting Maggie.  I'm guessing we'll see more of them in the future.  I turned on closed captioning so I wouldn't have to turn the volume way up - i've been doing that ever since I had kids and needed to keep the volume down as they slept.   :lol

It's nice to watch a show that is currently filming, but isn't incorporating the pandemic into the script.  Law & Order SVU is irritating me by having the characters wear masks and talking about the pandemic in the show.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2021, 08:06:32 AM »
Cool episode last night. I like how they’re doing these.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2021, 09:16:31 AM »
The "Here's Negan" episode last night was pretty cool. Neat idea for them to do those little episodes.....wasn't crazy about them all but there were a couple that were neat.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2021, 09:23:17 AM »
The "Here's Negan" episode last night was pretty cool. Neat idea for them to do those little episodes.....wasn't crazy about them all but there were a couple that were neat.

Agreed—a mixed bag for sure. Last night's was so strong, that I found myself wondering, 'why wasn't this a two or three parter?'

Sad the show will be ending, but am very excited for this final run.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2021, 09:55:20 AM »

Agreed—a mixed bag for sure. Last night's was so strong, that I found myself wondering, 'why wasn't this a two or three parter?'

Personally.....I'd have preferred that whole 6 episodes been the backstory on Negan. JDM can carry any scene he's in and the backstory on "Here's Negan" is compelling enough to where they would have had plenty of material. They could have shown the early days of him founding the Saviours.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2021, 10:05:39 AM »

Personally.....I'd have preferred that whole 6 episodes been the backstory on Negan. JDM can carry any scene he's in and the backstory on "Here's Negan" is compelling enough to where they would have had plenty of material. They could have shown the early days of him founding the Saviours.

I'm with you there. Last night's episode could've easily justified the 'mini-series' treatement.

Still, JDM has been so underutelized for so long, it was nice to see him get a chance to show off his chops.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2021, 10:32:14 AM »

I'm with you there. Last night's episode could've easily justified the 'mini-series' treatement.

Still, JDM has been so underutelized for so long, it was nice to see him get a chance to show off his chops.

Agreed. He was really good in last nights episodes. He basically played three different versions of the same man and you could noticeably 'feel' the difference in them.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2021, 08:16:26 PM »
Fear the Walking Dead returned with a mid-season premiere.  I completely forgot that the first half of the season aired last fall.  Had to wiki it a little to remember where it left off.

As for the episode, the only word I can say is:   FUCK.   :'(

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2021, 11:13:09 PM »
As for the episode, the only word I can say is:   FUCK.   :'(

Yeah. That was a huge shock.....I hate that character being killed off but I love the utter out of nowhere shock value it had. Like a huge WTF moment.

Outside of S2 and parts of S4 ‘Fear’ has been a pretty good show.

S2 was just horrible.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2021, 10:57:38 AM »
Another really good episode of 'Fear'    I'm digging the vibe/tone of the show big time these days.