Author Topic: Illumination's The Super Mario Bros. Movie - Out Now! (Spoilers OK!)  (Read 1421 times)

Online The Letter M

Planning to catch this tonight after work. Anyone else seeing it this week? I've been fairly excited for this one! As a lifelong SMB player and fan, I can't wait to spot all the Easter eggs and references to the series!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 07:27:23 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

I've been a Mario fan all the way back to Donkey Kong in the local bowling alley.  I might've gone to see this in the theater 10 years ago, when my kids were younger (we all went and saw Pixels in a theater and had a blast), but this is definitely one I'll wait to stream.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online The Letter M

Loved it. Was it a great film? Nah, but it was a good and fun kids film, with plenty of jokes for adults too. The animation is fluid and so detailed, and for the most part, the voice cast is pretty good, especially Charlie Day and Jack Black.

There are TONS of Easter Eggs and references throughout the WHOLE film, from beginning to end, both in the music and sfx, so visual nods in the foreground and background. I cannot wait to get the BD to pause this one frame by frame to try and catch every reference! And the SCORE, it's SOOO good hearing all of the Mario themes from across the whole franchise done up as lush orchestral versions.

I definitely want to go see it again and I just might next week!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

This is a must see for me. I too go all the way back to the original Donkey Kong, and I have good memories of playing Super Mario with my step kids when their mother and I were newlyweds 25 years ago. So I told them all to coordinate a time when we could all go and I’d treat everyone. My two youngest stepsons are 37 and 34 now, but I think we’ll all have a blast.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Loved this one, so did my kids.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Illumination's The Super Mario Bros. Movie - Out Now! (No Spoilers!)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 03:13:48 PM »
THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE’ earns $377M in the film’s worldwide opening weekend.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 05:18:28 PM »
I've been a Mario fan all the way back to Donkey Kong in the local bowling alley.  I might've gone to see this in the theater 10 years ago, when my kids were younger (we all went and saw Pixels in a theater and had a blast), but this is definitely one I'll wait to stream.

For me it was the laundromat. I don't recall my family needing to use it for laundry, but it was the closest place with video games. The only one I specifically remember is Mario Bros, though I know there were a few others. It's probably the defining franchise of my video game life, as I've always been a Nintendo guy going back to the NES days. This movie does look great; I'll catch it when I can stream from home.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 08:51:11 PM »
Saw this last night with a friend and I thought it was pretty good. I didn't realize it was made by the company that did Despicable Me. It was great with the same type of humor.

What made the movie for me was the use of the in game music for the score. I really enjoyed the backstory for the Bros. and how they incorporated Paulene there as well. The story itself worked for me because I felt it was reminiscent of the same type of humor the Paper Mario series and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga have. I've been playing the latter game recently and the movie sort of made me think of how the gameplay is in this game with regards to the connection both Bros. have for each other.

Although I would've liked it to be a bit longer, it was great for what it is...A kids movie in the same style as Shrek and Despicable Me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 01:34:57 PM »
My wife is back east for a yoga retreat, so it's just the son and me.  He mentioned something about going last week, so we went last night (and got Wingstop for dinner first...YUM!).

Solid movie.  If you're on the fence, there's definitely no need to see it in the theater.

By the way...is it weird to think that a cartoon character was hot?  Princess Peach...damn!  Character-wise, I love what they did with her.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online The Letter M

Re: Illumination's The Super Mario Bros. Movie - Out Now! (Spoilers OK!)
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2023, 07:32:06 PM »
It's been a couple weeks now so if anyone wants to discuss spoilers, go right ahead. If you haven't seen the film yet, just beware of spoilers, though most of that will just be learning about references and Easter Eggs, since the plot isn't revolutionary or deep.

The film is a great kids film, lots of jokes for kids and adults to enjoy, funny slapstick humor, but the real charm, IMO, comes from all the references to the games across the Mario (and DK) series. There's just SO MUCH to pour over in every scene, both visually and auditorily. The score is just FILLED to the brim with references to all the games, both big and small, and any seasoned fan would be hard-pressed to keep up with them all. Of course, there are plenty of YouTube videos breaking down the score, so if you're curious about those, there's a lot to check out. I'd also suggest New Rockstar's breakdown of the film's Easter Eggs if you want to see what kind of hidden gems and nuggets the animators threw in.

I hope we don't get a direct sequel right away, if I'm being honest. I'd love to see a DK film and a Luigi's Mansion film. THEN make a Mario sequel, base it on Mario Sunshine, and have Luigi's absence make sense in that story by saying he's doing Mansion stuff. It'll feel like a cinematic universe without being too reliant on telling cohesive stories between films.

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2023, 07:47:18 PM »
My wife is back east for a yoga retreat, so it's just the son and me.  He mentioned something about going last week, so we went last night (and got Wingstop for dinner first...YUM!).

Solid movie.  If you're on the fence, there's definitely no need to see it in the theater.

By the way...is it weird to think that a cartoon character was hot?  Princess Peach...damn!  Character-wise, I love what they did with her.

Ummmmm Jessica Rabbit?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 03:37:59 PM »
Finally caught the movie. Thought it was fun, I liked it. Of course being a kid movie and all, the plot is as basic as it can get, and it moves very quickly. But that didn't take away from my enjoyment.

I hope the post credit scene means we'll see more Mario movies in the future. There's so much they can do.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 07:24:59 AM »
bump.

having finally caught this film a few months ago, and seeing someone on FB post about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdwze-Wj6_4

This song by JELLFYISH "Ignorance is Bliss" should have been used. Some comments and a parody was done by a Jack Black type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICMB5_0BvDU

Perhaps for the sequel?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 10:19:17 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline HOF

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 08:36:39 PM »
I enjoyed this movie well enough for what it is, but I did not find the Jack Black song funny, nor do I find Jack Black funny in any form. He and Will Farrell just are completely non funny individuals to me.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 05:18:07 PM »
I enjoyed this movie well enough for what it is, but I did not find the Jack Black song funny, nor do I find Jack Black funny in any form. He and Will Farrell just are completely non funny individuals to me.

Agreed on Ferrell, but Black is good in the right setting/film. School of Rock or Shallow Hal for example.