Author Topic: STRANGER THINGS season 4 - SPOILERS INSIDE  (Read 14298 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
STRANGER THINGS season 4 - SPOILERS INSIDE
« on: September 30, 2019, 02:12:36 PM »
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 09:03:37 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline ErHaO

Re: STRANGER THINGS season 4
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 04:33:43 PM »
That seems... soon? But I loved season 3 so am in for more!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 04:36:07 PM »

Soon? The fact that it was renewed for a 4th season? Cause that’s all we got so far.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 05:56:58 PM »
If it comes out next summer I will be very happy, from what I read the story and scripts are nearly complete and may not take that long. Fingers crossed it does come out soon.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Volante99

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 08:49:37 PM »
Meh, Stranger Things seemed to have lost a lot magic after Season 1.
I don’t know if it’s because the kids are entering their awkward teenage years or what. Season 2 really amped the retro vibe which was alright but the story felt disjointed. Season 3 totally dropped some plot elements they had been building in Season 2 (mainly out of fan reaction) and I felt the monster was rather uninteresting. I was also a big fan of Hopper in Season 1 and 2 but didn’t like how they just turned him into a big buffoon/comedic relief character throughout 3. Here’s hoping they can pull it together and end it on a good note.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 09:44:38 PM »
What elements did they drop from season 2?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 01:10:23 AM »
I was also a big fan of Hopper in Season 1 and 2 but didn’t like how they just turned him into a big buffoon/comedic relief character throughout 3.

To me he seemed a drunken asshole all the time, shouting 95% of his lines. Was he angry and almost verbally abusive all the time in previous seasons? he was always a grizzly bear but in the last season he was downright unlikeable.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 11:43:32 PM »
I was also a big fan of Hopper in Season 1 and 2 but didn’t like how they just turned him into a big buffoon/comedic relief character throughout 3.

To me he seemed a drunken asshole all the time, shouting 95% of his lines. Was he angry and almost verbally abusive all the time in previous seasons? he was always a grizzly bear but in the last season he was downright unlikeable.

It’s true they totally turned the character into a caricature in Seasom 3. They did the same thing to Winona albeit to a lesser extent.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 07:22:33 AM »
I agree Hopper was less likable last season.

Soon? The fact that it was renewed for a 4th season? Cause that’s all we got so far.

Oh, my bad, I thought a trailer was incoming (since this is often the case with teaser trailers).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 07:38:36 AM »
Guess I'm in the minority again -- I thought Hopper was just fine last season and his actions were completely understandable, same with Joyce. The whole point of Hopper's personality last season was that he's struggling with how to be a pseudo father type of man which clashes with his somewhat coarse and abrasive personality and rhetoric and short temper. Add a boy and puppy love to the mix and his short fuse is even shorter. I totally get it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 08:07:47 AM »
^Same.  Criticisms of how the character was portrayed really don't seem to get it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 08:56:27 AM »
Guess I'm in the minority again -- I thought Hopper was just fine last season and his actions were completely understandable, same with Joyce. The whole point of Hopper's personality last season was that he's struggling with how to be a pseudo father type of man which clashes with his somewhat coarse and abrasive personality and rhetoric and short temper. Add a boy and puppy love to the mix and his short fuse is even shorter. I totally get it.

^Same.  Criticisms of how the character was portrayed really don't seem to get it.

Yep. I think this whole 'criticism' thing only got steam after the women's rights angle was pimped online for a few days where they were waging war on the writers/creators for making Hopper so violent and mean towards Joyce. Another instance of PC BS. His character fit(s) right in line for the timeline and story.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 09:01:46 AM »
Yeah, I agree. I don't remember him getting 'violent' with Joyce either - I've heard people say that and I just don't recall it, I could be wrong, but I don't remember him doing anything shocking. He got heated and frustrated and angry but I don't think that's grounds for what people were raising a stink over when it was released. I think some people made a mountain out of a molehill with that one.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 09:23:56 AM »
Yeah, I agree. I don't remember him getting 'violent' with Joyce either - I've heard people say that and I just don't recall it, I could be wrong, but I don't remember him doing anything shocking. He got heated and frustrated and angry but I don't think that's grounds for what people were raising a stink over when it was released. I think some people made a mountain out of a molehill with that one.

It wasn't even a thing until Evan Rachel Wood made it a thing in an interview.

https://www.glamour.com/story/evan-rachel-wood-calls-out-stranger-things

After that it caught fire a bit because it was the cool thing to do that week.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 09:27:10 AM »

It wasn't even a thing until Evan Rachel Wood made it a thing in an interview.

https://www.glamour.com/story/evan-rachel-wood-calls-out-stranger-things

After that it caught fire a bit because it was the cool thing to do that week.

Oh jeeze. I love her in Westworld (not sure if I've seen her in anything else) but I've read some interviews with her and she's hardcore about that stuff so I'm not surprised. Kind of disappointing, I agree with her views *to an extent* but for crying out loud, really? Oh well.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 10:18:28 AM »

Yep. I think this whole 'criticism' thing only got steam after the women's rights angle was pimped online for a few days where they were waging war on the writers/creators for making Hopper so violent and mean towards Joyce. Another instance of PC BS. His character fit(s) right in line for the timeline and story.

Nah. He’s a completely different character this season. How he’s written, performance, delivery. They took a good character and amped it to 11 (like they did with many elements in the show). He’s pretty much just for laughs in Season 3. Nothing to do with ‘not getting it’ or plot elements. They could have shown that frustrated/abrasive father while maintaining a semblance of the character they had built over the previous two seasons.

I don’t know anything about the “women’s violence” thing or how that relates to my criticisms.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 10:24:15 AM »

Nah. He’s a completely different character this season. How he’s written, performance, delivery. They took a good character and amped it to 11 (like they did with many elements in the show). He’s pretty much just for laughs in Season 3. Nothing to do with ‘not getting it’ or plot elements. They could have shown that frustrated/abrasive father while maintaining a semblance of the character they had built over the previous two seasons.

I don’t know anything about the “women’s violence” thing or how that relates to my criticisms.

Respectfully I strongly disagree with this and think you're missing the entire point of Hopper as a character in this season. He's absolutely not a completely different character. I do think he retains the elements that made his character who he is from seasons 1 and 2. I do not understand this criticism that he is unlike what he used to be. Can you elaborate with specifics? I really don't agree and just don't see what you're seeing that makes him so different this time around.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 10:59:47 AM »
Season 3 stripped Hopper of precisely what made him fun and compelling, which is the push and pull between his harder and softer sides. He spends 90% of this season arguing with Winona (because she stood him on up on a date, yawn) which is broken up only by moments of punching bad guys and yelling at his kid. Where’s the nuance? We don’t see that calm side, or any growth that we’ve come to see in the previous season. He’s just loud, and obnoxious, and super unlikeable.

In Season 1 he went from a depressed pill popper, with moments of rage, to rediscovering direction in his life, becoming invested in the Byers family and adopting Eleven. Season 2 has him adjusting to family life and learning to be a parent again, with all the challenges that brings with a child with super powers. He's always been gruff and rough around the edges but also has the soft interior. What did we get for Hopper in Season 3? A voice over in the closing minutes of the show, which was moving and one of the seasons best moments, but it was too little too late. I wanted to actually see some of THAT guy during the season.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 11:06:33 AM »
Huh... I couldn't disagree more. I mean, season 3 was all about his growth and dealing with who he's been so far vs. who he needs to be for Eleven.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 12:21:05 PM »
I watched the show in July so I can't really remember exact quotes and moments, but yeah, I'm line with Volante's thinking. The balance between grizzly bear Hopper and hero Hopper was thrown off. He even joked with Joyce about making Mike disappear and how he could cover it up being chief of police... sure, funny joke and he didn't mean it, but to say something like that to a mother whose kid has disappeared in a government cover up, with fake corpse included....

Another example is when they were running away from the russian terminator and he was yelling at her to start the car; he seemed unnecessarily angry, not in a panic, but as if he was annoyed how dumb Joyce couldn't be able to start the car. We didn't see at all his softer and more mature side that transpired from the letter until, well, the reading of that letter.

Back in season 2 he had that big fight with Eleven, but even then he didn't look so costantly pissed off and exasperated as he looked in season 3.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 02:10:57 PM »
I don't see it as a big leap. Not only is he still learning how to be a parent, he's got to contend with her going through puberty and having a boyfriend on top of figuring out what his own situation is with Joyce and things are just getting crazier in Hawkins. Everyone's stress levels are constantly higher. Just seems logical to me. I don't think he was too out of character or overly angry. Plus he didn't raise her from birth, she's only been in his care for a couple years. He's *still* figuring out how to act around this kid and how to treat her like she's his child and not just another random kid.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2019, 01:18:40 AM »
Nah.  Hopper was fine in S3 (season 3 in general was a tad more fun, and Hopper is part of this).   He still gets great moments like when he tells Joyce he wants her to feel safe in Hawkins,  and then starts opening up to her about his PTSD.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2019, 09:02:25 AM »
I am in total 100% agreement with Katt on this one.  Everything about Hopper felt consistent with were that character would be at this point in his story arc, given what we have seen in his past (seasons 1 and 2) and where he is in season 3.  I don't think there was even a moment in the entire season where I felt like the character was not written right.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2019, 08:33:07 AM »
Yeah count me in as one of those who thought Hopper was great in season 3. I thought his progression was in-line with what we've seen of his character so far.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2019, 12:37:15 AM »
I am in total 100% agreement with Katt on this one.  Everything about Hopper felt consistent with were that character would be at this point in his story arc, given what we have seen in his past (seasons 1 and 2) and where he is in season 3.  I don't think there was even a moment in the entire season where I felt like the character was not written right.

Hey, you. Stop agreeing with me. We're mortal enemies.

:hug:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2019, 09:10:39 AM »
Oops, my bad. 

HOPPER IS TEH SUX!  >:( >:( >:(

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2019, 04:14:36 PM »
set in 1986 they need to have the kids see the movie Lucas and make an observation about Joyce and the young Winona Ryder.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2019, 04:44:54 PM »
Also there's Chernobyl happening that year!

One random thought: the whole show is a trip down the memory lane for this current generation of adults and young adults.... except for the protagonists. I mean, it's their job to act so they'll act through a modern setting, in a fantasy one, they'll act the middle ages if needed etc, but the enjoyment of "Look, remember what was it like in the '80s?" it's all for the adults writing the show and acting in it, the kids themselves never lived those years so for them it's basically a period piece.

It's basically like our generation lived Back to the Future - I was a little kid when those movies came out and Michael J. Fox himself was born in 1961 so he never experienced first hand the '50s. Older people making the movie did.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 08:23:09 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGxFQ8RSgpk

I wouldn't have shown that character just yet, but whatever!  :metal
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:20:45 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 08:43:25 AM »
Teaser a year before release?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 01:16:45 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGxFQ8RSgpk

I wouldn't have shown that character just yet, but whatever!  :metal

They must have figured there’d be no way to keep him filming scenes a secret. Otherwise I don’t know why they’d spoil that. Although we all knew he wasn’t really dead.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 01:23:00 PM »
EVERYBODY knew he didn't die, so I think there was little point in trying to maintain the facade of secrecy over it.  Better that they embrace it and move forward with a solid story.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2022, 06:49:41 PM »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2022, 07:36:44 PM »
If it comes out next summer I will be very happy, from what I read the story and scripts are nearly complete and may not take that long. Fingers crossed it does come out soon.

Wrote this over two years ago. At least the wait isn't too long.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2022, 11:18:32 AM »