Author Topic: STRANGER THINGS season 4 - SPOILERS INSIDE  (Read 14595 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: STRANGER THINGS season 4
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2022, 11:36:18 AM »
Official Trailer

https://youtu.be/yQEondeGvKo

Clearly need to watch the season to fully judge/appreciate it......but.....while the trailer looks intriguing and all the 'feel' of it doesn't seem like it's in the same vein as the first season or even S2. They were fresh and 'different'. Will just have to wait to see how the story is told but it looks like just another sci fi show now. Even the 'bad guy' looked pretty generic. Hate to be 'that guy' but I sure do hope I'm proven horribly wrong and that its a good season.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2022, 12:04:53 PM »
Was that a dude playing a guitar solo on a roof as the world fell apart?

Nice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2022, 12:18:29 PM »

Nice.

You never done that before?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2022, 12:21:20 PM »

Nice.

You never done that before?

Don’t have the hair for it sadly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2022, 07:21:19 AM »
Great trailer. It's been so long that I need to do a whole series re-watch.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2022, 09:17:47 AM »
Great trailer. It's been so long that I need to do a whole series re-watch.

I wish I had the disposable time to do so.  I'll probably just have to settle with the 15-minute S3 recap to get my mind back in sync.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2022, 01:37:24 PM »
I've been rewatching the earlier seasons this past week or so in preparation for S4 P1 to drop on Friday. I started S1 on Saturday night, finished it Sunday afternoon and go through S2 on Sunday and Monday nights. I've got work tonight, but S3 will be watched over the next two nights.

Gotta say, S1 really holds up well. If it wasn't for the dangling threads at the end, it could've easily been a great self-contained single-season series, but of course we've gotten way more of it. The second season is a bit hit-or-miss for me. I liked all of the character development, and the new characters in Max, Billy, Murray, and Bob, but the pacing is a bit all over the place. Then there's the highly divisive 7th episode, "The Lost Sister", which I both like and dislike - it's great world-building for Eleven and where she came from/what she can do, but it's an episode that could've benefitted from being one or two spots back in the season. It also would've made her visions of Hopper and Mike feel more like a cliffhanger (because we've already seen them in the previous episode, but it would've been neat to see them without context first), and it would've also made her return in episode 8 a LOT more triumphant, especially if we don't see her taking a bus back to Hawkins - just leave her after the police gunfight with Kali and her gang.

Over-all, Season 2 was a step or two down from the first, but still really good. I loved what they did with Steve, and find it fascinating that they split the party up as much as they did, allowing for some new character combinations to develop throughout the season. Can't wait to rewatch the third season!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2022, 10:14:35 AM »
Geez the episode lengths of part 1 is crazy.

Episode 1 – 1 hour 16 minutes

Episode 2 – 1 hour 15 minutes

Episode 3 – 1 hour 3 minutes

Episode 4 – 1 hour 17 minutes

Episode 5 – 1 hour 14 minutes

Episode 6 – 1 hour 13 minutes

Episode 7 – 1 hour 38 minutes
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2022, 10:46:42 AM »
Geez the episode lengths of part 1 is crazy.

Episode 1 – 1 hour 16 minutes

Episode 2 – 1 hour 15 minutes

Episode 3 – 1 hour 3 minutes

Episode 4 – 1 hour 17 minutes

Episode 5 – 1 hour 14 minutes

Episode 6 – 1 hour 13 minutes

Episode 7 – 1 hour 38 minutes

WOW...almost all over 70 minutes long! And I had no idea Part 1 was going to be SEVEN episodes, while Part 2 is the final two:

July 1, final two episodes:

Episode 8 – 1 hour, 25 minutes
Episode 9 – 2 hours, 30 minutes

Seems a little unbalanced in terms of release, and honestly, I could've seen them release 1-4 this weekend, 5-7 in two weeks, and then the final two, but whatever. I guess Episode 7 is going to have a HUGE cliffhanger then, especially since the final two episodes are nearly epic-movie-length combined. Cannot wait! I'm finishing up Season 3 tonight in my marathon rewatch this week.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2022, 10:56:07 AM »
Imbalance between two "acts" of a story bothers me sometimes (see The Astonishing).  But that said, if that ends up being the logical breaking point and really makes sense within the context of a well told story, so be it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online faizoff

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2022, 10:58:55 AM »
I think there might be some logical break between the last two episodes and the rest. From what I remember, they said the primary reason for splitting the season was because the special effects were not ready for the 2nd part.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2022, 11:21:23 AM »
I think there might be some logical break between the last two episodes and the rest. From what I remember, they said the primary reason for splitting the season was because the special effects were not ready for the 2nd part.

Makes me wonder if the season could've benefitted from being split into 3 or even 4 parts, just to keep the hype and attention going for awhile, especially since it'll be "competing" with Obi-Wan Kenobi this weekend.

You'd think they would see how fan engagement is driven up by weekly releases, but I guess they couldn't get away with that if it's somehow a contractual thing with Netflix. I'm hoping the final two episodes look amazing if they're taking the extra time for VFX.

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2022, 11:32:34 AM »

Makes me wonder if the season could've benefitted from being split into 3 or even 4 parts, just to keep the hype and attention going for awhile, especially since it'll be "competing" with Obi-Wan Kenobi this weekend.

Interesting thought.  I had kind of forgotten about Kenobi.  I guess I'll watch it.  The kids will probably want to promptly take in each episode upon release, so we'll probably do that.  Not sure if they will want to watch Stranger Things, but I know I will be all over it.  I guess I'll be putting Queen of the South on hold for a bit.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2022, 04:15:58 PM »
Started season 4, with the first episode. I'll probably watch an episode per day (I mean, they're so long anyway, no way I'm gonna watch two episodes in an evening).

Boy did the boys grow up!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online faizoff

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2022, 07:15:59 PM »
Started season 4, with the first episode. I'll probably watch an episode per day (I mean, they're so long anyway, no way I'm gonna watch two episodes in an evening).

Boy did the boys grow up!

That was my first thought! man have these kids grown up.

Geez that first episode, they've really upped the intensity of the horror and gore by the looks of it. Some of it was really intense.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2022, 10:31:47 PM »
Seriously...if that was the beginning, we're in for one hell of a ride this season. Great stuff as always though, everything about this show is so well done.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2022, 06:46:28 AM »
I’ve been catching up with this show over the last week and I binged the entire new season yesterday (Thanks, COVID)

A lot to think about, and there’s still 2 more episodes to come, one of which is 2.5 hours long  :omg:.
This is a lore-driven season, where all the pieces start to fall into place. It seems like the opposite of LOST in a way, and I say that as someone who loved and understood LOST. The people in charge of ST actually seem to have a plan and an explanation for everything, and so far it all makes sense. Still plenty of questions to be answered.

What is the Mind Flayer’s role in all of this? And what is his endgame?

Is Vecna the MF?

Did 11 create the Upside Down when she threw 001 through the mirror? Or did she just open the door to it for the first time?

Why is the Upside Down stuck in 1983?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2022, 11:30:20 AM »
Holy crap...that ending scene to Ep4 with Max....that's right up there with the best stuff this show has given us.

They do this so....fucking....good.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2022, 12:30:22 PM »
You do not lie friend. I'm partway through episode 5 right now.
Photobucket sucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2022, 04:39:33 PM »
I'm at the second episode.

I'm ashamed to say I forgot about Robin. She stole season 3. Glad to see her again.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2022, 07:24:18 PM »
I can't get Running Up That Hill out of my head now.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2022, 06:57:29 AM »
We only have ep7 to go and I am loving this season. The references back to so many 80s horrors and thrillers have been so fun to see/hear. They're done so well, they aren't corny or kitschy.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2022, 01:13:41 PM »
Wow....EP7....I'm completely fucking speechless.

Perfection. Can't wait for July.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2022, 01:37:57 PM »
Finished up earlier today, great stuff. I didn't expect everything to fit together as well as it did towards the end of episode 7. Bring on the last two episodes!
Photobucket sucks.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2022, 02:31:44 PM »
We will start it tonight as a family. More excited about it now reading through the comments here than what I was seeing from the ‘professional’ reviews.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2022, 08:52:36 PM »
Wow....EP7....I'm completely fucking speechless.

Perfection. Can't wait for July.

Same. I just finished Episode 7 earlier and WOW, I was blown away. All the pieces have started to fall into place and the lore and world-building are breathtaking.

Also, the music and cinematography are top notch this season. Everything is just so good. There were some odd CGI moments here and there, but overall I enjoyed everything.

-Marc.

Online faizoff

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2022, 06:29:45 AM »

Finished the season last night, here's my non-spoiler review.

This season has evolved the show in the horror and gore aspect and that was surprising at first but I guess in line with how the season progresses. I think it's more from the lens of the kids as they have grown to be older and are teenagers in high school and the violence they see is more horrific.

What I'm most happy how the story progresses in each episode and almost always defies your expectation on how the setups go. They've always done this where you think it's going one way but turns out to be something else.
The character pair-ups are fantastic as always some new, some old, and I have to hand it to them the showrunners always come up with interesting ways to pair them and make it work.

I have to say that episode 4 of season 4 is probably my favorite episode of the entire series, it's so well done and the ending was executed extremely well.

They had an excellent episode 7 and stops at a very satisfying point for a breather yet I already want the next two episodes already.

My initial impressions are this is by far my favorite season and I really can't wait for the last two episodes, we've already gotten a treat of a show with these super long 7 episodes. I personally loved the length of each and was pleasantly surprised that they went by so fast.

They have the obvious 80s nods to shows, music, movies and IMO did them really well. Going to rewatch with the wife, though I know already she's going to not love this season as much as me.

I can't get Running Up That Hill out of my head now.

Same here! can't get this song out of my playlist!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2022, 07:05:36 AM »
I thought ep 7 was a little drawn out more than needed in some scenes, but thats such a small dent to what was a great 7 episodes. Only other issue I had - it was very in-your-face, in-case-you-missed-it, here-it-is-for-the-eighth-time, to reveal the real villain. Like, we got it 4 minutes ago, don't need to keep making it more clear.

Can't wait for the next 2 episodes. I'm glad they come only in another month. I don't want to wait much longer than that and forget everything!

Offline Melphina

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2022, 07:44:40 AM »
I really liked episode 7.

One of my only complaints is that almost every time the cast runs into an apparent dead end, one of the characters (usually Dustin) will suddenly come up with a wild ass pull theory that just happens to miraculously work. It feels like I can hear the script writers communicating the logic of what is going to happen next straight to the audience rather than it being a believable* evolution of thought.

*I realize we're talking about believability in a show about psychic children and paranormal monstrosities. I get it.

Also... "That one episode" from season 3, almost nobody liked, where she went to Illinois and met the other strange kids. Will that ever be relevant again?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2022, 09:22:25 AM »
Also... "That one episode" from season 3, almost nobody liked, where she went to Illinois and met the other strange kids. Will that ever be relevant again?

Season 2, actually. I skipped that episode on my rewatch since it's such an outlier and completely disrupts that season.
Number 8, the main girl from that episode, was mentioned at least once this season. Though she doesn't appear outside of a brief flashback. Maybe she'll make an appearance in the last two episodes. I can't imagine they'll retcon or abandon that storyline entirely.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2022, 09:35:12 AM »
I see a lot of people saying that this new season is way better than 2 or 3.  I loved 1, but could barely get through 2, and then bailed on 3 pretty quickly, so the question is, will I be lost watching Season 4 after having not watched all of 3 (and having little to no memory of much of the show in general since it has been years since I watched any of it)?

Online faizoff

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2022, 09:41:08 AM »
A lot of the stuff in season 4 is built on events that occur in season 3, so you'll probably lose context in a lot of scenes. They probably won't have the impact if you haven't watched prior seasons. Not sure if S4 will change your mind if previous seasons weren't as compelling.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2022, 09:53:32 AM »
Here's something that'll blow your mind if you look at how the kids have aged up since Season 1.

The first season happened in November of 1983, the day Will Byers disappeared was the 6th of November. The beginning of Season 4 is March 21st, 1986 - just two years, four months, and two weeks after the beginning of season 1. I mean, kids definitely hit puberty hard between 7th grade and 9th grade, but it a bit jarring, especially given that most of the main party of four are nearing 20 now (and were 18/19 during the filming of Season 4), Lucas in particular definitely looks quite a bit older than he probably should be. Same goes for Eddie (though explaining why he looks older makes sense), but Jonathan is close to/is 30 and definitely looks more like a teacher in high school than a senior in high school. Granted, the kids and teens being older than they should be really kind of falls in line with how actors were cast in 80s films and media anyway, so in a meta way it kind of makes sense.

I see a lot of people saying that this new season is way better than 2 or 3.  I loved 1, but could barely get through 2, and then bailed on 3 pretty quickly, so the question is, will I be lost watching Season 4 after having not watched all of 3 (and having little to no memory of much of the show in general since it has been years since I watched any of it)?
A lot of the stuff in season 4 is built on events that occur in season 3, so you'll probably lose context in a lot of scenes. They probably won't have the impact if you haven't watched prior seasons. Not sure if S4 will change your mind if previous seasons weren't as compelling.

I agree. Season 4 does a lot to call back to Season 3 and there's a lot of things happened that you'd need context for going into Season 4. If you want to wait until the rest of Season 4 to go up (on July 1st) before you decide to dive back into the series and see how people react to the S4 finale, that's cool. You definitely have time to rewatch and catch up before the last two episodes drop too.

My worry is that the stakes this season have ramped up so much that I can't imagine what they'll do for the fifth and final season.

-Marc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2022, 10:49:38 AM »

My worry is that the stakes this season have ramped up so much that I can't imagine what they'll do for the fifth and final season.

-Marc.

EPISODE 7 SPOILERS

Yeah, they've done such a masterful job of painting Vecna as the big baddie, and the center of the whole Hawkins lab disaster and the rip in space time that started the whole series, I really can't imagine where they'll dig further for an even more intense story, unless Vecna isn't vanquished in this season.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2022, 11:59:51 AM »
they kind of framed Vecna a little like Voldemort or Vader in some ways. It was well done, however, how he came to really desire to use his abilities I'm not fully clear on. Maybe I missed something in how he explained it to Eleven.

edit: it's purely that he believes people end up in a cycle of life like a clock, nothing changing (born, grow up, have job, family, grow old and die), etc..i guess.

Also the age part.

What year is it when the Creel's buy that house? 1955? 1958?

if Henry is who is he is and meets Eleven in 1979, that would make him at least in his mid or late 20's at least. Maybe even in his early to mid 30's. Unless he found some way to manipulate time or aged slower?

I liked a lot of what theyve done this season (agreedwith the ending of Episode 4 and Kate Bush's 'Running up that Hill"), however I kind of feel the way they've separated the groups, like they did in Season 3, some of the cast chemistry is not what it was. I mean they wrote it so it connected the dots in some ways, but, it's like the ensemble cast is so big, they felt the needed to created multiple plots to allow them all to have a purpose.

I do wonder a bit about Eleven and what the 2 sides are wanting to do with her. The military group and the Lab with Owens and Brenner. Just her to fight the Mind Flayer and its Army? Will they bring back Kali/8?

Given the show will only go 1 more season, the origins of the Upside Down I gotta believe are going to be largest focus. I wonder if a lot if not all of it traces back to Brenner.

I was just looking for information about Season 5 and noticed there is a spinoff planned:

https://bamsmackpow.com/2022/05/27/last-season-of-stranger-things-season-5-happening/

The good news is that the Duffer Brothers apparently have a spinoff already in the works, so while season 5 will be the show’s last, there is a hope that Stranger Things will live on beyond season 5 in some way. As for when season 5 might arrive? We’ll that remains to be seen, but we’re hoping it won’t take quite as long as season 4 did to complete!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 12:20:07 PM by SoundscapeMN »