Author Topic: Ms. Marvel Spoiler Thread - S1E6 No Normal  (Read 7173 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: Ms. Marvel Spoiler Thread - S1E6 No Normal
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2022, 09:53:13 PM »
Oh, ranking time?!

Loki
WandaVision
Ms. Marvel
Moon Knight
Hawkeye
The Falcon And The Winter Soldier
What If?

I really enjoyed Ms. Marvel, and honestly, depending on how She-Hulk plays out, it might be my favorite MCU Disney+ series of 2022.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2022, 06:05:22 AM »
1. Wandavision
2- Loki
3- Hawkeye
4- Ms Marvel
5- What If?
6. Moon Knight
7- Falcon and Winter Soldier

Though, I wouldn't consider any of them bad or unenjoyable.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2022, 07:21:53 AM »
I think I'd order them this way, though I enjoyed them all

Loki
Hawkeye
Wandavision
Moon Knight
Falcon and Winter Soldier
Ms Marvel
What If?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2022, 08:24:25 AM »
Loki
WandaVision
Hawkeye
Moon Knight
The Falcon And The Winter Soldier
What If?

Ms. Marvel <<<<< You found it, contact me for your prize.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2022, 12:12:25 PM »
The Assembled (Making Of Ms. Marvel) is out now on Disney+.

Watching it now and I'm smiling so much just because how joyful Iman and the cast and crew are talking about the show and the comics that inspired it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2022, 12:20:51 PM »
Fuck yeah!! Been waiting for that one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2022, 01:53:47 PM »
Have to watch that for sure.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2022, 07:28:01 AM »
Uhg... Iman is just way too perfect a fit, and such a tremendous young lady. I just can't with her after watching that.

So glad Marvel found her and took a chance on her. The bit with her explaining the group call with Feige telling her she got the part while all her friends were there was just too adorable.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2022, 08:05:27 AM »
Watched it last night. It occurred to me that it sounded like this was her first role ever. Looking her up and it does appear to be the case. Marvel struck gold finding her. For her to be that good is just insane.

It's literally like a Comic-Con cosplaying nerd was plucked out of nowhere and given a major role (which it pretty much is). Kudos to her, she deserves all the praise.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online faizoff

« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2022, 08:20:40 AM »
I'm going to watch it after I complete the Doctor Strange making-of. I did see the video on youtube previously of Iman doing the zoom with Fiege and all, it was a great moment. She's got the perfect personality for the show and character.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2022, 08:30:35 AM »
Watched it last night. It occurred to me that it sounded like this was her first role ever. Looking her up and it does appear to be the case. Marvel struck gold finding her. For her to be that good is just insane.

It's literally like a Comic-Con cosplaying nerd was plucked out of nowhere and given a major role (which it pretty much is). Kudos to her, she deserves all the praise.

Yup, she actually had zero aspirations to be an actor, she only applied for the role cause she "didn't want to let 10 year old me down"

I mean, c'mon... Awwwww

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2022, 05:21:52 PM »
Watched the first episode when it came out but only got around to the rest yesterday and today.

What a lot of heart and warmth that show has! Smashing. Loved the South Asian angle. In the UK (for my generation at least - I'm in my late 40s) we were taught zero about partition at school and I've not really been aware of it in the mainstream media until the 70th anniversary of it. You hear about how we defeated the Nazis ALL THE BLOODY TIME but not enough about what we did in India. It is improving now. Marvel handled it really well, I thought.

Great cast. The powers and baddies were fairly arb and nonsensical but that's where we are now at this stage it seems. Regardless of that, I really liked it.

1. Wanda
2. Hawkeye
3. Ms Marvel / Loki
4. Cap

5. Moon Knght

(Haven't watched What If)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2022, 09:06:05 AM »
Quote from: DoctorAction link=topic=57502.msg2909453#msg2909453
What a lot of heart and warmth that show has!

Totally.  That is this show's super power. 

Loved the South Asian angle. In the UK (for my generation at least - I'm in my late 40s) we were taught zero about partition at school and I've not really been aware of it in the mainstream media until the 70th anniversary of it.

Agreed.  I mean, here in the U.S., I can understand why it isn't taught.  There is only so much time to teach history, and I get not diving into things that aren't relevant to one's own nation's development.  But India is pretty huge in the U.K.'s history.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2022, 11:30:27 AM »

Loved the South Asian angle. In the UK (for my generation at least - I'm in my late 40s) we were taught zero about partition at school and I've not really been aware of it in the mainstream media until the 70th anniversary of it.

Agreed.  I mean, here in the U.S., I can understand why it isn't taught.  There is only so much time to teach history, and I get not diving into things that aren't relevant to one's own nation's development.  But India is pretty huge in the U.K.'s history.

I feel like I was taught the period of the Explorers through the Civil War every year up through 9th Grade.  Maybe, we could have learned some more different history.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2022, 11:44:23 PM »

It was huge. I'm no historian but, from my impression that's built up over the last decade or so, it's impossible to see Britain as anything but despotic.

But what I got taught in school was that Hitler was a bad man and we were the goodies, while (in the late 70s to mid/late 80s) racism towards South Asian folks in the UK was omnipresent, loud and tolerated. Not a whisper of what Britain did to India, mind.

We're like this about all of our dodgy history, pretty much. It is changing but our self-aggrandisement/ignorance is a big problem, imo.

These are just my barely-informed impressions, of course, not facts, as such. Will stop derailing the thread now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2022, 10:20:03 AM »
I hate to further contribute to the derail, but maybe just a bit more:  I get what you are saying.  I think most if not all societies are guilty of that.  In the U.S., for example, a huge part of this nation's history is its interactions with the various Indian tribes*.  For the most part, when that is taught, we get a highly romanticized version.  Or at least, that's how it was taught for the longest time.  There was a time not too long ago where there was a shift, and it began to be taught in some bizarre mix of that romanticized narrative combined with view that it was nothing short of an atrocious near-genocide.  Of course, there's plenty of truth, but also plenty of exaggeration, on both sides of that spectrum.  And there's a whole lot of truth and nuance in between that gets overlooked.  Truth is, there was lots of bad, and lots of complexity across the board.  But it doesn't really get taught very well.  Instead, we just get taught two extreme narratives that don't mesh well together and don't paint an accurate picture.  But history is often like that, and I get that there are myriad, complex reasons why cultures struggle to teach those ugly parts of their history accurately.  It's a really interesting phenomenon.  /rant

*My particular tribe prefers "Indian" and thinks "Native American" is stupid, as it seems most of the tribes I am familiar with in this part of the country do, so I tend to go with the former.

Anyway, back on track:  REALLY good show!  I still love it!  I don't have a strong desire to revisit it just yet, but I look forward to doing so down the road when we get some tie-ins with other Marvel properties. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2022, 04:37:22 PM »
It's like cultures almost act like individuals - there are things they're embarrassed to talk about and it comes out like a mess.

Kamala is my favourite of the new characters. Looking forward to seeing her and her folks again.  :tup