Author Topic: jingle.boy's Top 50 - Roulette songs ... My final obsession  (Read 25465 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 - Roulette songs ... into the Top 30.
« Reply #385 on: November 03, 2019, 01:35:30 AM »
Or Flaming Row
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #386 on: November 03, 2019, 02:45:02 AM »
Or Flaming Row

I don't think he found them through a roulette.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #387 on: November 03, 2019, 05:45:33 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: November 03, 2019, 06:02:57 AM »
Ok, let me relieve RJ of his mental conundrum.

26 - v4 / lonestar / Orphaned Land / The Cave… see, this is why I have you in roulettes.  You may not have always done well, but you are fearless and have no problem taking a chance.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not-so-much.
 You've given me more than enough discoveries outside of roulette'g to lighten my wallet, so it's these risky choices that I love getting from you.  And it’s songs like this that make it worthwhile.  I’d always written off Orphaned Land (and still don’t think they’d be my jam other than some isolated songs).  This one knocked my socks off thought.  I dig a lot of the bands with the middle-eastern metal sound, and this slayed.  Minimal growls, that are exactly what I can tolerate with growls (“tasteful and appropriate”) don’t distract from my love of this at all.  I tried the rest of the album, and nothing held a candle to this one.  And despite not winning the round, it was an EXTREMELY strong round – this tune was better than more than a few subsequent round winners.  Tough competition to start v4.

25 - v4 / lonestar / Graphite Symphony / Divided Entity… Not so sure this brought me to tears, but it did get me right in the feelz - the feeling that I would’ve had to cunt-punch you for this song if not for the fact that I’d come out of the worst of my depression, and things with me and mrs.jingle were no longer at our own low point.  The “what in the actual fuck” moment I had upon first listen of this song was out of this world – mostly because it was YOU sending it.  This song perfectly summed up my marriage about 4 years ago – and the fact you were completely oblivious to the lyrics gave me a second ‘what in the actual fuck’ moment.  More of a chuckle the 2nd time though.

24 - v3 / bl5150 / Withem* / Miracle … right in the prog-power breadbasket here.  Strong wailing vocals, virtually perfect guitar riffs, catchy as fuck chorus, great (albeit rather short) instrumental section, very strong guitar / keyboard solos.  I mean, this is virtual perfection.  The rest of the album was almost as strong, but their sophomore release was a bit of a let down – still good, but just a bit weaker.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 - Roulette songs ... lonestar no longer needs to wonder.
« Reply #389 on: November 03, 2019, 06:31:19 AM »
That's the one thing I didn't consider, all the stuff I've sent to you randomly over the years instead of in roulettes, a ton of that would've scored very well. We have a habit of sharing our best stuff when we find it instead of squirreling it away for future uses, like the last one I sent to you out of the blue, Ark Ascent, probably would've done well.

Now to see where Maggie finishes...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 - Roulette songs ... lonestar no longer needs to wonder.
« Reply #390 on: November 03, 2019, 06:33:35 AM »
I checked out Withem a couple days ago and it was just meh - but it wasn't that song. That OL song however slaps.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: November 03, 2019, 06:40:04 AM »
The Cave is amazing for sure, yeah.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #392 on: November 03, 2019, 06:41:34 AM »
Withem is pretty good, actually.

I cannot get into Orphaned Land.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: November 03, 2019, 06:46:39 AM »

Well, one does not simply walk into orphaned land
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #394 on: November 03, 2019, 06:47:32 AM »
:icy:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: November 03, 2019, 07:31:46 AM »

As a whole, I agree with you.  Give that song a shot though - unless of course you're not 'in' to the middle-eastern vibe.  Then it won't matter.

@ RJ... yeah, Ark Ascent would've slayed.  Top 5 AOTY at the moment for me.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #396 on: November 03, 2019, 07:47:35 AM »
See, and it's been like that for the last 8 years...I don't have anything good to send in roulettes cause when I come across Chad-worthy stuff, I send it right away like a proper homie should. :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: November 03, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »
See, and it's been like that for the last 8 years...I don't have anything good to send in roulettes cause when I come across Chad-worthy stuff, I send it right away like a proper homie should. :tup

And Chad thanks you for it.  :hifive:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #398 on: November 04, 2019, 03:57:08 AM »

Too growls for me generally.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: November 04, 2019, 08:02:52 AM »
23 - v3 / senecadawg2 / The Paralydium Project* / New Frontier… slow build, crunch-af guitar riffs, complex writing, beautiful execution.  This is prog-metal greatness.  And (I didn’t know it until just recently), the band is made up of mostly Dynazty members.  Who knew they could deliver something this complex and proggy.  I think this might actually have been my first exposure to ‘djent’ guitar riffs, and it wow’d the fuck out of me.  Dream Theater wishes they could write music this good nowadays (2015 release).  It was just from a quick 3-song EP, but they’ve come out of the woodworks just within the last couple of weeks, rebranded themselves as Paralydium.  YAY!  No longer just a project.  Very much looking forward to more from them.

22 - v4 / wolfking / Amorphis / Amongst Stars … this was a virtual dead-heat with Orphaned Land above in v4Rd1 for a lot of the same reasons – and if you recall correctly, was in 3rd place behind two songs already mentioned.  Which goes to the point that this song has aged the best amongst them in the past year.  Take out the middle-east portion of the writeup on Orphaned Land, and that's pretty much what you’ve got with this song …. PLUS Anneke VG.  :hefdaddy  Why the hell didn’t you send this tune to Tim in the chick round!?!?!?  Missed opportunity for you there.  As Katt would say, this song slaps.

21 - v2 / wolfking / Sonata Arctica / Don't Say A Word … Still can’t get in to Sonata as a whole, but I’m sure a ‘best-of’ would suit me just fine.  I saw them live a couple years ago with Kamelot, and it was a good show.  Great pace to this tune, with a certain fervour to the verses, leading up to an anthemic sounding chorus that just inspires a vision of a concert floor jumping/moshing in unison.  Nothing overly flashy with this one, but sometimes less is more, and the KISS principle applies nicely here.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 - Roulette songs ... finishing the 20s
« Reply #400 on: November 04, 2019, 08:04:04 AM »
Please let me craft you a Sonata 'best of' EP with Don't Say A Word as the centerpiece which dictates the other tracks I pick :2metal: I'm drooling at the possibilities.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: November 04, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »
Please let me craft you a Sonata 'best of' EP with Don't Say A Word as the centerpiece which dictates the other tracks I pick :2metal: I'm drooling at the possibilities.

This was my instant thought on reading the writeup... there's a gold mine waiting to be discovered.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #402 on: November 04, 2019, 08:16:57 AM »
23 - v3 / senecadawg2 / The Paralydium Project* / New Frontier… slow build, crunch-af guitar riffs, complex writing, beautiful execution.  This is prog-metal greatness.  And (I didn’t know it until just recently), the band is made up of mostly Dynazty members.  Who knew they could deliver something this complex and proggy.  I think this might actually have been my first exposure to ‘djent’ guitar riffs, and it wow’d the fuck out of me.  Dream Theater wishes they could write music this good nowadays (2015 release).  It was just from a quick 3-song EP, but they’ve come out of the woodworks just within the last couple of weeks, rebranded themselves as Paralydium.  YAY!  No longer just a project.  Very much looking forward to more from them.

22 - v4 / wolfking / Amorphis / Amongst Stars … this was a virtual dead-heat with Orphaned Land above in v4Rd1 for a lot of the same reasons – and if you recall correctly, was in 3rd place behind two songs already mentioned.  Which goes to the point that this song has aged the best amongst them in the past year.  Take out the middle-east portion of the writeup on Orphaned Land, and that's pretty much what you’ve got with this song …. PLUS Anneke VG.  :hefdaddy  Why the hell didn’t you send this tune to Tim in the chick round!?!?!?  Missed opportunity for you there.  As Katt would say, this song slaps.

21 - v2 / wolfking / Sonata Arctica / Don't Say A Word … Still can’t get in to Sonata as a whole, but I’m sure a ‘best-of’ would suit me just fine.  I saw them live a couple years ago with Kamelot, and it was a good show.  Great pace to this tune, with a certain fervour to the verses, leading up to an anthemic sounding chorus that just inspires a vision of a concert floor jumping/moshing in unison.  Nothing overly flashy with this one, but sometimes less is more, and the KISS principle applies nicely here.

What would that be?
- Play good, old-fashioned hard rock, well-played but with few frills?
- Bang thousands of women and keep a book of Polaroids of each of them?
- Release a greatest hits record every 12 months?
- Name every tour the "Farewell Tour"?
- Slap their logo on everything from salt shakers to Swifters?
- Consistently kick ass live for the better part of 45 years? 

Haha, just wanted to be in there somewhere. 

By the way, I just noticed that "KISS" is a portmanteau of "KIck aSS".    :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: November 04, 2019, 08:26:30 AM »

This was my instant thought on reading the writeup... there's a gold mine waiting to be discovered.

Both of you, please do.  Seriously.  Serious as a heart attack.  DTF'rs have done this plenty for me over the years - Priest, Tad Morose, Talisman, IQ, Edguy.

HBO... Help a Brother Out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: November 04, 2019, 08:32:41 AM »
:2metal:

Evermind I'm gonna PM you 'cause I have an idea for mine and don't want to steal songs you're using.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: November 04, 2019, 08:35:14 AM »

Evermind I'm gonna PM you 'cause I have an idea for mine and don't want to steal songs you're using.

Actually, I'm curious to know how many would overlap.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: November 04, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »

Actually, I'm curious to know how many would overlap.

I was initially gonna pick songs in line with DSAW but since Ev wants to make one I'm going to make one that shows the wild and adventurous side of Sonata. Some really awesome creative stuff in there that you might not listen to if you were to just, er, 'play the hits' as it were.

That's a fancy way of saying, "You're getting 2 very different EPs from me for this one because of their extensive and weird discography"  :rollin

EDIT: Wait no you're not. Spotify doesn't have their first 3 albums because they're lame, so you'll just get the one.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:14:14 AM by Kattelox »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: November 04, 2019, 09:45:06 AM »
EDIT: Wait no you're not. Spotify doesn't have their first 3 albums because they're lame, so you'll just get the one.

I'm not using Spotify then because I was absolutely going to include some stuff from the first three albums, huh.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: November 04, 2019, 09:47:24 AM »

I'm not using Spotify then because I was absolutely going to include some stuff from the first three albums, huh.

Hmm yeah. Gonna probably rethink my approach, since Winterheart's is my #3 album of all time.  :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: November 04, 2019, 09:48:52 AM »

Give me the song names then ... I'll go out to the quasi-legal places I can get music to sample - rather than spending $1/song.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: November 04, 2019, 09:51:37 AM »

Give me the song names then ... I'll go out to the quasi-legal places I can get music to sample - rather than spending $1/song.

:lol Reminds me a bit on The Office:

Dwight: Aw, man, is that a Prism Duro-Sport?
Pam: You've seen one of these?
Dwight: Yeah, they're like an i-Pod only they're better 'cause they're chunkier and more solid.
Pam: Roy gave it to me for Christmas. I'm trying to figure out how to put songs on it.
Dwight: Oh, no no no. Don't go there. I know this Russian website where you can download songs for two cents a piece.
Pam: Really?
Dwight: Yeah, I'll write down the address for you. Only, the only thing is... is that all the songs are in Russian.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: November 04, 2019, 09:55:36 AM »
Actually for me (or I suppose my VPN) it does have all the albums so I'll be going with that. Hopefully it's the same in Canada.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: November 04, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
I didn't send Amongst Stars to TIm because it's not 2/3 female vocals.

I'm back baby however with two entries.  Completely forgot I sent Don't Say A Word.  Wonderful song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: November 04, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »

Win if you can; lose if you must; but always cheat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: November 04, 2019, 02:55:24 PM »

Win if you can; lose if you must; but always cheat.

:lol  Yeah but I don't think he would have accepted as that was a requirement for the round.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #415 on: November 04, 2019, 03:08:30 PM »
I had AMongst Stars on my list of songs to send you in that roulette...great track with the added bonus of Anneke.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: November 04, 2019, 03:13:05 PM »
I had AMongst Stars on my list of songs to send you in that roulette...great track with the added bonus of Anneke.

It is indeed an amazing track, from an amazing album too.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #417 on: November 04, 2019, 03:39:35 PM »

The album is on my list for consideration for album of the decade, just tremendous. Was really bummed I missed that tour cause of fucking night shifts.  (the tour with Anneke that is, I saw them on the previous headline tour for Queen of Time front row and they fucking slayed)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: November 04, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »

The album is on my list for consideration for album of the decade, just tremendous. Was really bummed I missed that tour cause of fucking night shifts.

It could be the most complete Amorphis album for me.   Skyforger was my first and still love it a lot, but the new one seems to be my new go to album from them.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: November 04, 2019, 03:44:08 PM »
Skyforger is such a fucking good album. At least the first 7-8 songs. Under The Red Cloud and Queen of Time have some good songs but nothing quite like that Skyforger run. Wish they had another that clicked with me like that record.