Author Topic: jingle.boy's Top 50 - Roulette songs ... My final obsession  (Read 25457 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 - Roulette songs ... NOW we're in the Top 50
« Reply #350 on: October 28, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »
I haven't played it yet.  :lol

I'm in the "These bands need to stop clipping the shit out of everything" club.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #351 on: October 28, 2019, 06:48:12 PM »
I haven't played it yet.  :lol

I'm in the "These bands need to stop clipping the shit out of everything" club.
Agreed!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #352 on: October 28, 2019, 06:54:45 PM »
44 - v2 / Lowdz / Alter Bridge* / Cry Of Achilles… I really should listen to Myles Kennedy fronted stuff more often.  What a rich and full sound he delivers.  Overall, I find Alter Bridge to be a whole lot of fun and super enjoyable – I don’t think I’ve ever heard an AB song that I didn’t like, but generally speaking, I don’t ever think “Hey, I’m in the mood for some AB”.  Straight up modern-day rock is what they sound like to me, despite what Wikipedia describes them as – “Alternative metal; progressive metal; post-grunge”.  Like, wtf does that even mean?  Hard Rock.  Period.  And this surely delivers.  Pretty basic rock recipe, but super tasty none-the-less.

Give the Slash stuff or his solo record a spin.  I'm a Myles fan boy - I even stood outside the High Line Ballroom in NY hoping to meet him; got the slip by a roadie in a rookie mistake - but I find AB way down the list.    I LOVE the Slash material, and really like the solo record.  AB... I get tired of it so easy.   I just got Fortress and the new one on... Saturday, and I've made it through five songs on Fortress and I needed a break.   Though unquestionably, Cry Of Achilles is a great, great, tune. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #353 on: October 28, 2019, 06:56:27 PM »
Myles is at the very bottom of my tolerance for vocalist tone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: October 28, 2019, 08:36:16 PM »
I'm yet to check the new album yoo.  The Last Hero may be my fav album from them, despite the production.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #355 on: October 29, 2019, 10:07:08 AM »
Humming along ....

41 / v3 / Big Hath / Black Tora / Fuel My Hunger …. Goddamn, this somehow slipped past me for the past couple of years, because it was your ‘mulligan’ submission, and despite how good it was, I never bothered rating it since it fell second to the other song you submitted that round (stay tuned).  This is great power metal that pounds away without any cheese whatsoever – very similar to Hiberia (but better).  Unfortunately, the rest of the album didn’t captivate me the way that this track did.

40 / v4 / Bolsters / Burnclear* / Rattle the Cage… Vocally, the low range sounds a little like Roy Khan, while the high range reminds me of Mike Anderson.  As such, the Cloudscape vibe is undeniable.  Very tasty prog/power, and one of the reasons you were able to over-take Evermind to snatch victory.  Couple of semi-duds on the album, but overall this was a beauty!

39 / v1 / King / Presto Ballet** / One Tragedy at a Time… up to this point in my v1, you were honking on Bobo.  I was stunned… agast… disappointed.  Then you dropped this gem on me.  Instant love, and the reason that I’d invited you. IIRC this was the round winner.  The atmospheric mood in the middle, and outro from just melt my prog ears with joy.  So warm and wholesome.  Makes me feel like I just got a big ole Shmegland-like sonic hug.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 - Roulette songs ... Fuelling a caged tragedy
« Reply #356 on: October 29, 2019, 10:37:21 PM »
Saw Presto Ballet open for DT in 2010(?) whenever they were doing the tour with Maiden, it was one of the few headlining shows they did. Enjoyed their set. Thought they had talent and a future.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #357 on: October 30, 2019, 08:16:40 AM »
love that Black Tora song, but yeah the rest of it is fairly pedestrian. I have a whole bunch of "one hit wonders" where a band struck gold with one song but the rest of the album or discography is mediocre.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #358 on: October 30, 2019, 11:22:03 AM »
I'm going to guess that is my last song on this thread.  Chad am I right?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: October 30, 2019, 12:00:36 PM »
I'm going to guess that is my last song on this thread.  Chad am I right?

You aren't left.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: October 30, 2019, 12:31:00 PM »
Ok... yesterday was a bit of a dud.  Not sure this one is any more exciting.

38 - v1 / wolfking / Dream Evil** / In Flames You Burn… now THIS gets the blood flowing, and my mood pumping.
37 - v2 / Lowdz / Leverage / Dreamworld…. Ditto, with a lot more keyboards
36 - v4 / TAC / Eternal Of Sweden / Surrounded By Shadows…. Ditto again, but less keyboards.

I mean there’s not much more to say about these three tunes other than they all rocked my world in slightly different ways.  Upbeat and uptempo, heavy and catchy riffs, dreamy vocals …. Everything clicked.  Three winners that are all right up my alley- but only Dream Evil caught my attention beyond the submitted song… or maybe I just had looser standards back then.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 - Roulette songs ... so much powah!
« Reply #361 on: October 30, 2019, 12:58:17 PM »
Surrounded By Shadows is a rockin' song.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #362 on: October 30, 2019, 01:10:12 PM »
Surrounded By Shadows is a rockin' song.

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #363 on: October 30, 2019, 01:31:56 PM »
Still no song from me. Wow!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: October 30, 2019, 06:59:18 PM »
Booyah! Dream Evil!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: October 30, 2019, 09:04:56 PM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #366 on: October 31, 2019, 02:46:55 PM »
That Leverage album is awesome.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: November 01, 2019, 02:05:48 PM »
35 - v4 / Bolsters / The Ralph** / Next In Line… it was hard to take them seriously, until about 8 seconds into the song.  :omg   Dat opening riff grabs ya by the short and curlies, and doesn’t let go.  This is the kind of sound that JP describes as ‘chocolate cake’.  Crunchy/djenty riffs, with awesome supporting vocal melodies do well with my ears 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday.  Another round winner for the Ausie that propelled him to victory.  Their discography isn’t very deep (2 EPs; 1 full album), but everything rocks just as hard as this tune.

34 - v1 / last.fm / Seventh Wonder** / The Angel Maker…. I had to give a nod to this one, even though it's not a DTF'r that made the submission.  Like including entries from Nick’s radio show, I was also doing the same from last.fm recommendations.  However, it's inclusion is because it introduced me to the glory that is Seventh Wonder and Tommy Karevik.  Not their greatest song by any means, but it was the gateway to bigger and better things.  The chorus here is still one of my favourite melodies, and sticks in my head for days whenever I hear it – which is just fine.

33 - v3 / senecadawg2 / Voodoo Circle / Broken Heart Syndrome… the perfect blend of melodic rock, with a slightly heavy edge.  I tried to dive in with a few albums of theirs, but I didn’t have the wherewithal to go thru all four albums to digest / discern what is good vs great.  Maybe I should give it another shot.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #368 on: November 01, 2019, 02:14:10 PM »
This is getting interesting....So i'm pretty sure I got at least those three still coming, Orphaned Land, Beautiful Sin, and Graphite Symphony, but I figured at least OL and GS would be up already. Didn't think they'd be this high on the list, especially Orphaned Land, so maybe there's something I'm missing. GS I can see being ranked this high since I hit that emotional G-Spot so perfectly, and I'm pretty sure Maggy will be a top ten track.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: November 01, 2019, 04:30:22 PM »
34 - v1 / last.fm / Seventh Wonder** / The Angel Maker…. I had to give a nod to this one, even though it's not a DTF'r that made the submission.  Like including entries from Nick’s radio show, I was also doing the same from last.fm recommendations.  However, it's inclusion is because it introduced me to the glory that is Seventh Wonder and Tommy Karevik.  Not their greatest song by any means, but it was the gateway to bigger and better things.  The chorus here is still one of my favourite melodies, and sticks in my head for days whenever I hear it – which is just fine.

I think it's actually one of the best SW songs. Mercy Falls is great and it's my favourite SW album, but when it comes to standalone songs, I think this is great.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #370 on: November 01, 2019, 04:32:15 PM »
THE RALPH  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #371 on: November 01, 2019, 05:48:43 PM »
THE RALPH  :lol

Great name, right? All kidding aside though, they're dope as fuck, killer stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #372 on: November 01, 2019, 06:29:50 PM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #373 on: November 01, 2019, 06:34:22 PM »
haha YES!

Sit on it, Potsie!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: November 01, 2019, 07:16:22 PM »
Double entry to make up for some lost time.

32 - v3 / bl5150 / Silent Call** / First to Know… big fan of Andi Kravljača’s voice.  And it was a nice surprise to see them with a new release just a few weeks ago.  Schwing!

31 - v3 / Big Hath / Jaded Heart / Ain't A Perfect World… see comment above re: Voodoo Circle.  I really should try and dig into more of the Bormann fronted stuff.  Big Bormann fan here...JH, Redrum, Alyson Avenue, Powerworld, Silent Force.  Really should check out his solo stuff.

30 - v2 / Lowdz / Brazen Abbot** / Eye of the Storm… the diversity of singers across the discography is what appealed to me here.  Pretty much every one is a winner, including JLT on this track.

Like one of the previous batches of songs, I’m running out of unique things to say about songs that are – for the most part – similar in the ways that they appeal to me.  Awesome singer; excellent writing, strong melodies and rhythms, an excellent blend of prog and power metal.  These three fit that bill.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #375 on: November 01, 2019, 07:20:39 PM »
Apparently I've been eliminated! :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #376 on: November 01, 2019, 07:48:16 PM »
I'm a fan of JLT Rainbow; would I like that Brazen Abbott?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: November 01, 2019, 10:05:42 PM »
where's my next song @Chad
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: November 02, 2019, 05:22:55 AM »
I'm a fan of JLT Rainbow; would I like that Brazen Abbott?

I think that'd be a hard yes. Other vocalists on Brazen Abbot include Tony Harnell, Goran Edman, and Erik Martensson.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #379 on: November 02, 2019, 06:05:17 AM »
I underestimated with my guess of 7. Still going.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: November 02, 2019, 03:30:38 PM »
29 - v4 - Kattoelox / Time Requiem / Sin to Sin… you may have been shocked to take top spot in round 1 here, but no more shocked than me.  What a great tune.  And with Goran Edman fronting them and Richard Andersson on the keys, I’m stunned none of the ‘hard rock’ crew has talked ever about them (uhh…. Brent, c’mon now!).  Beauty of an opening keyboard sequence, slappa da bass, and unison arpeggios.  Need to check out their earlier albums with Apollo P on the mic, Jonas R on bass, and Peter W on drums :omg:  What a hidden gem of a band!

28 - v3 - Zook / Shear* / Turmoil …. Zook my dood, I’m bummed you’re not following here.  You dropped some absolute fucking gems on me in this and the 2nd roulette.  Love love LOVE Alexa’s voice.  The build up in the chorus give me chills, especially layered on top of the frantic guitar riff.  Vocally, it’s a ton like Maggy Luyten, without the gruff French coarse-ness that Maggy brings.  More like a smooth Finnish finish :lol.  Instrumental section is nothing flashy, but perfectly proggy-power.  Overall, Shear is like a heavier and edition of Mindmaze. 

27 - v3 - Evermind / Galahad / Empires Never Last…. Talk about slappin da bass!  Great atmospheric / background elements to not let the mood get too melancholic.  And the chorus – vocally and musically, it could is easily one of the most memorable chorus’ of any song on this list.  The bounce back-and-forth between an almost jazzy story-telling vibe with a few bars of metal riffing is cool as fuck.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 - Roulette songs ... into the Top 30.
« Reply #381 on: November 02, 2019, 03:47:10 PM »
ALWAYS REMEMBER
EMPIRES
NEVER LAST

Man I forgot I sent this. The song (and the whole album tbh) is amazing. Good to see some appreciation for this. I honestly thought I was done for.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: November 02, 2019, 06:23:06 PM »
Wow! Truly didn't expect that. Glad you like that song so much. Please check out the rest of that record, Optical Illusion. I like the song The Talisman even more than Sin To Sin. Also  :lol @ keeping the Toe in there.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: November 02, 2019, 10:35:31 PM »
Well, that was your handle back then.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #384 on: November 02, 2019, 10:46:44 PM »
I'm starting to think I missed a song, cause I don't think Orphaned Land would be this high. You liked it, but it didn't even win the round. Graphite Symphony? Sure. Maggie? Top ten, maybe top 5. But Orphaned land, it just doesn't seem to be a top twenty song with all the other more Chad-like songs.

Also, I guess that Epysode will get no. 1