Author Topic: jingle.boy's Top 50 - Roulette songs ... My final obsession  (Read 25432 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: jingle.boy's Top (1)50 - Roulette songs ... Weekend update
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »
A.C.T. is so catchy in everything they do.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2019, 01:04:40 PM »
even when they go to the bathroom?  What about when they are making sandwiches?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2019, 01:08:59 PM »
Everything about making sandwiches is catchy to Kingshmegland
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2019, 03:53:33 AM »
85 - v1 / wolfking / Last Tribe** / Wash Away Your Sins… I think this was the first Magnus card you played.  And well done.  He can do no wrong, and not only did I dive full-on into Last Tribe, by the end of the 1st roulette, I dove full on into pretty much everything Magnus.
84 - v4 / wolfking / Soilwork / Rejection Role… limited growls don’t distract from the goodness here.  Love the melodies everywhere here.
83 - v2 / TAC / Waysted* / How The West Was Won…. Melodic rock goodness.  Catchy hooks and smooth-as-silk vocals.  Really not sure how this doesn’t fall into TAC’s “this blows” bucket.  Glad it doesn’t, cuz it’s fantastic.  Can’t say I’ve gone back to the album much though.
82 - v4 / kingshmegland / A.C.T. / The Effect… really not sure why I didn’t take more to A.C.T… this is right in my prog-rock wheelhouse.  Gonna give this album a spin later this morning to find out why.
81 - v1 / wolfking / Eclipse* / To Mend a Broken Heart… this song should’ve given you the victory in my first roulette, but at the time, something clicked more with the other song it was competing with.  The fact that I can’t even remember what song now tells you how well it aged compared to this one

3 out of 5, can't complain here.  Last Tribe was a big deal for me musically, listen to them so much when I discovered them and Magnus.  Soilwork I was happy to sneak that in there and get a good response.  Has become one of my all time favourite bands.  Old Eclipse is so good.  Way better than the trash they have been doing lately.  Can't remember the song either but it was Obscure that got me wasn't it?  I think it was close.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #249 on: October 20, 2019, 04:49:25 AM »
At the time, yeah ... it was close.  I was about to give you the victory, but then on the last couple of listens, her final song 'clicked'.  Since it was a best 2 out of 3, it was 2-1.

Now though.... 2 of your songs are on this list; none of hers made it (thought, she's got a few still to come).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2019, 05:50:19 AM »
Everything about making sandwiches is catchy to Kingshmegland

My bitches make my sandwiches. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: October 21, 2019, 08:03:14 AM »
Shit... I typed this up yesterday, but then forgot to post it.

80 - v3 / Mystery Machine / Hiberia** / Tiger Punch… man this is one frantic-as-fuck tune.  High octane energy all over this one.
79 - v3 / Big Hath / Harvest / Roundabout… this is hella fun, and again I’m thinking (there are 78 songs better than this on this list!?!?!).  Not sure why I never listened to the album, but I definitely gotta rectify that immediately (and I did... meh, not terribly impressive)
78 - v2 / nekov / Dominici / The Calling… Better than anything he ever did with DT.  Any advice as to whether the trilogy is worth buying, because only Part 3 is on Spotify.  Asking for a friend.
77 - v1 / King / Magic Pie* / Without Knowing Why… you were often hit-and-miss with your eclectic prog choices.  This was a hit.  The rest of their discography doesn’t do a ton for me, but this is a great album – and this tune isn’t even the best one on the album
76 - v3 / bl5150 / Universe Effects* / Equilibrium… this is one of only a handful of songs that ever got a rating of 9 or higher.  It didn’t age quite THAT well, but it’s a beauty of a tune and album.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top (1)50 - Roulette songs ... new week; new update
« Reply #252 on: October 21, 2019, 08:30:52 AM »
Another entry for me? That means I'm not winning a free album  :'(

Anyways, I would recommend buying the second album of the trilogy. If you like the third one then go ahead and buy that one too. However, unless my memory is failing me, the first record is nothing like the other two. It is quite uninteresting and boring.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #253 on: October 21, 2019, 08:38:27 AM »

Anyways, I would recommend buying the second album of the trilogy. If you like the third one then go ahead and buy that one too. However, unless my memory is failing me, the first record is nothing like the other two. It is quite uninteresting and boring.
Yeah the first one is all acoustic.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: October 21, 2019, 08:58:27 AM »

Yeah the first one is all acoustic.

Many thanks for the advice!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: October 21, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »
That Magic Pie was from your first Roulette I was in if I remember correctly.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2019, 12:04:06 PM »

You have a keen perception of the blatantly obvious... that's what the "v1" means.   :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2019, 12:24:35 PM »
Double post, for a double update.

75 - v4 / jjrock88 / Impellitteri / Lost in the Rain… goddamn dat opening riff! And scream!  And shredding!  Bonnet sure could wail 30 years ago.
74 - v3 / bl5150 / Millienium / Hourglass… I mean, it’s Jorn-fuckin-Lande.  ‘nuff said.  Bit of a plodder, but still a great tune.
73 - v4 / Puppies / Anubis Gate / The End of Millenium Road… love this vocally… middle part drags on a bit, but it’s bookended with goodness.  Vocally this is damn appealing (dayum, it’s the guitar player from Pyramaze!).  I tried the album, but don’t remember much about it.
72 - v3 / wolfking / Machine Men* / No Talk Without the Giant… great tune, even if I don’t reach for this band very often. 
71 - v3 / Big Hath / Leverage / Rise / Wolf and the Moon… good thing I’m not lactose intolerant. Greatness in the chorus, rhythm riffs, vocally melodies – all catchy as fuck. IIRC, the rest of the album was just too much cheese.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2019, 12:30:11 PM »
71 - v3 / Big Hath / Leverage / Rise / Wolf and the Moon… good thing I’m not lactose intolerant. Greatness in the chorus, rhythm riffs, vocally melodies – all catchy as fuck. IIRC, the rest of the album was just too much cheese.

Killer song. I also struggled to get through the album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2019, 01:07:08 PM »
That is Rob Rock singing on Lost in the Rain. I believe Bonnet joined the band on the next album or two.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #260 on: October 21, 2019, 01:11:05 PM »
there's my four. Guess I'm done now.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2019, 01:34:50 PM »

You have a keen perception of the blatantly obvious... that's what the "v1" means.   :lol

I missed that! :lol :facepalm: :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: October 21, 2019, 01:51:36 PM »
That is Rob Rock singing on Lost in the Rain. I believe Bonnet joined the band on the next album or two.

Well see, now that's what I thought - but goddamn Google told me this tune was released on Stand in Line... which has Bonnet listed as the lead singer.

I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar.

there's my four. Guess I'm done now.

With 70 songs to go, you're gonna need to guess again.  Bigly.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2019, 01:56:32 PM »
Miss a day, and I almost get punted to page 2!

70 - v4 / lonestar / Kaipa / Our Silent Ballroom Band… this is like a 7-course meal served up by our chef.  All goodness here that just builds magnificently upon itself.
69 - v4 / Train / The Great Discord / Darkest Day… sooo good.  The lull in the middle doesn’t detract too much.  Very cool/emotive solo, to provide complement to the vocals and hooks
68 - v2 / TAC / Michael Kiske / Do I Remember A Life… I told Tim right from the start this would be a grower.  And it has been over the years.  There’s still a certain je ne sais quois that doesn’t work for me - I think maybe the acoustic intro is just too plain for me; and there’s something in Kiske’s tone with some of the notes he belts out here.  Can’t put my finger on it though.
67 - v4 / jj / Alice Cooper / Roses on White Lace… for the ‘meat and potatoes’ rock/metal guy that your submissions usually fell in to, more than a few times you dropped a melt-in-your-mouth filet and a loaded baked potato – with a the smoothest NY cheesecake smothered in a chocolate ganache.  This was one of those times.
66 - v3 / Bolsters / Slash / Myles Kennedy / Beneath The Savage Sun… Myles has such a perfectly suited voice for this kind of music with Slash’s riffage.

I'll try to get the next update posted later tonight.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: jingle.boy's Top (1)50 - Roulette songs ... saved before dropping to page 2
« Reply #264 on: October 23, 2019, 01:58:55 PM »
Roses On White Lace is an all time Alice track. Seriously. In the Top 20 easily, but closer to Top 10.

You're just not a Kiske guy...It's ok. That's an amazing track and a TAC Top 3 all time song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #265 on: October 23, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
Word on that Kiske song.  TAC sent that to me in one of my roulettes and I'd guess that's in the top 20 at least of all songs I've ever gotten in a roulette.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2019, 06:23:07 AM »
Turned out I didn't have any time to myself last night.  I do have the next group after this one all typed up as well, so that should be up this evening.  I'll just space 'em out a little.

65 - v1 / Zydar / Mando Diao / Gloria… goddamn this deserved better than the 6.5/10 I gave it initially.  Though, I still stand by my description that it sounds like the Village People recreating the vibe of Copacabana… yes, that’s precisely what I said 7 years ago, and it still stands.  However, the ‘fun-ness’ of this tune has never worn off.
64 - v2 / nekov / Yargos** / The Guilded Cage… helluva ‘cheat’ here, using ‘Mac’.  A very different style than Threshold, and it’s suited very well with Mac on the mic.
63 - v4 / TAC / Crystal Gates / Shadowborn… musically, it’s a great blend of symphonic and cheese.  Vocally, the opera style is pretty good – I just am constantly comparing all female opera vocalists to Floor and Tarja.
62 - v1 / Coz / Dokken / Kiss of Death… I had this perception that Dokken was ‘too’ metal for me back in the day.  I have no idea why or how.  Another band that just didn’t get airplay or exposure – via my friends, or the radio stations I listened to. :sadpanda:
61 - v1 / WPaPU / It Bites* / Map of the Past… hella strange song to follow Kiss of Death.  Keyboard heavy mellow-prog.  John Mitchell is a gem of a vocalist.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #267 on: October 24, 2019, 06:24:58 AM »
Cool. The Crystal Gates is a nice album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: October 24, 2019, 06:39:45 AM »
Chad, did you get into more Dokken after Coz sent that to you?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: October 24, 2019, 06:56:54 AM »

I grabbed a 'best-of'.  For the 70s/80s acts like this that slipped past me, there's just too much to go diving full-bore in to.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2019, 06:59:29 AM »

Bonnet was on Stand In Line and that was the first Impelliteri album/ep. I saw Bonnet live a few weeks ago and he played Stand In Line and Goodnight and Goodbye.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #271 on: October 24, 2019, 07:00:55 AM »

I grabbed a 'best-of'.  For the 70s/80s acts like this that slipped past me, there's just too much to go diving full-bore in to.

If you have a best of you probably only need Back For The Attack. The best tracks from before that album will be on it and nothing that came after was in the same league.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #272 on: October 24, 2019, 07:01:18 AM »
Judging from all the songs so far it's clear Chad needs more music from me. I mean, fucking Dokken?!

Just playing. Kind of. Not entirely.  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #273 on: October 24, 2019, 07:05:55 AM »
Judging from all the songs so far it's clear Chad needs more music from me. I mean, fucking Dokken?!

I don't know why, but Dokken never clicked with me.  When I was in high school, my best friend was a Dokken fan; we did "Into The Fire" in our band.  Ugh. 

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #274 on: October 24, 2019, 07:14:11 AM »

If you have a best of you probably only need Back For The Attack. The best tracks from before that album will be on it and nothing that came after was in the same league.

Yes, Back For The Attack and another cd with their best other songs is all the Dokken one needs. But Back For The Attack is a killer record nonetheless.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: October 24, 2019, 07:18:59 AM »

I've done that with other bands as well.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: October 24, 2019, 07:20:05 AM »

I don't know why, but Dokken never clicked with me.  When I was in high school, my best friend was a Dokken fan; we did "Into The Fire" in our band.  Ugh.

I always thought they were better than most hair metal bands. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #277 on: October 24, 2019, 08:32:01 AM »

I always thought they were better than most hair metal bands.
Years ago, I used to always confuse Dokken with :TAC:   :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #278 on: October 24, 2019, 10:07:17 AM »
Still don't know why it took me four roulettes to drop Kaipa on you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: October 24, 2019, 12:48:48 PM »
Still don't know why it took me four roulettes to drop Kaipa on you.

The album that this track is from ain't on Spotify sadly.  Got any recc'n of other albums I should go for?