Author Topic: jingle.boy's Top 50 - Roulette songs ... My final obsession  (Read 25419 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
108 - v3 / TAC / Fastway* / Far Far From Home… the Zeppelin vibe is strong with this one.

Good call; sort of not indicative of the album, but a great track nonetheless.

Chad is a bid Zep guy, so I thought he might like it. It's a great tune. I generally consider that album fairly disappointing, not that it didn't have a handful of great tunes, this being one of them, along with Heft and Say What You Will. In fact, Say What You Will is amazing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top (1)50 - Roulette songs ... Top 100 is next
« Reply #211 on: October 15, 2019, 10:20:06 PM »
104 / v1 / Coz / Gary Moore / Still Got The Blues… same can be said here.  I mean, what the fuck?  Why did I never hear anything by Moore until I was 40?!?!?

Dang I have not heard this song in forever! I used to love this song whenever it was that it came out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: jingle.boy's Top (1)50 - Roulette songs ... Top 100 is next
« Reply #212 on: October 16, 2019, 11:11:25 AM »
100 - v3 / Mystery Machine / Age of Nemesis / Another Existence… damn Mystery person, this was a killer track.  Awesome keyboard/guitar unison runs and arpeggios all over this one.
99 - v2 / Bolsters / Thunderstone** / Ghosts of Youth… Rick Altzi.  I would say ‘nuff said, but Brent would probably get testy.  Altzi + some heavy melodic metal = jingle.happy.
98 - v2 / kirksnosehair / Animations* / The Manhattan Project… terrific instrumental that has a lot going on, but it’s stitched together quite nicely. 
97 - v4 / Lethean / Katatonia / Old Heart Falls… is anyone surprised Lethean sent Katatonia?  The bigger surprise is how much I liked it.  Still meaning to listen to more of them.
96 - v4 / Lethean / Almah / Breathe… double-double from Lethean, and from Almah. Sounds like old-school Angra... wait, wut?  :lol  Another band I gotta dig a little deeper in with.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top (1)50 - Roulette songs ... Top 100 is HERE!
« Reply #213 on: October 16, 2019, 11:21:42 AM »
Yeah, in fact Old Heart Falls isn't even in my Top 3 from that album. I think you may like more from it, especially if you're in the mood for some somber music.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #214 on: October 16, 2019, 11:29:23 AM »
that katatonia album is one of the few angsty prog metal records i really really like. it's my favorite of the ones i've heard. big mood around this time of year for me
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2019, 12:20:05 PM »
I thought I had figured out that I only had one song on the list, so I guess I didn't read something right. :)

At least I wasn't over confident.  :lol

So glad you enjoyed Old Heart Falls.  I agree with Evermind that it's not the best song on the album, but my favorite is more of a grower. I hope you enjoy the rest of the album when you listen to it. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2019, 03:39:50 PM »
I couldn't really get into that Katatonia album.  Nothing even comes close to Night is the New Day.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2019, 03:42:12 PM »
You just haven't gotten into it yet... :)

I love Night is the New Day though.  I've read more than a few negative opinions about it (which of course are wrong), so I'm glad you like it so much. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2019, 06:01:08 PM »
I couldn't really get into that Katatonia album.  Nothing even comes close to Night is the New Day.

NITND was the one Katatonia album I dug until TFOH entered my earholes
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2019, 03:03:41 AM »
Jingle is digging Katatonia (at least that one song), now that's a thing I had to read twice to believe it.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2019, 05:03:10 AM »
Looks like I should take another listen to it then.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2019, 05:10:03 AM »
Jingle is digging Katatonia (at least that one song), now that's a thing I had to read twice to believe it.  :D

TASTESTM!!

I ran thru the album yesterday and this morning.  I enjoyed it, but nothing really jumped out to capture my attention.  It's a 'moody' album, and I'm just not sure how often I'll be in the mood for it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2019, 06:52:22 AM »
Neither of the two albums we've been discussing are really "run through" albums.  The Fall of Hearts took me some time and I was already a fan.  It's one of those albums that you just need to let unfold and develop with subsequent listens.  Dead End Kings is like that too, but perhaps it's slightly less so. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: October 17, 2019, 07:56:17 AM »
Let's get today's update in here before I get busy with work.

95 - v4 / Evermind / Lee Abraham / Harbour Lights… I mean, simply gorgeous.  Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
94 - v1 / wolfking / Edguy / Down to the Devil… it’s like Avantasia’s little brother.  :biggrin:
93 - v1 / Zydar / Aerosmith / Taste of India… like a lot of 70s/80s bands I love, I lost touch with Aerosmith in the mid 90s when I was at Uni, then met mrs.jingle in the late 90s.  This was a fantastic reminder (and nostalgic feeling) of everything I loved about discovering new music from my teenage years.
92 - v4 / Lowdz / Heir Apparent / Crossing the Border… Queensryche wannabee, for sure.  Heir Apparen(tly not), but this was a great tune.  I did spin the album a couple times, but don’t really remember much from it.
91 - v1 / jjrock / Silent Force** / Hear Me Calling… DC Cooper doing power metal.  Glorious.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: October 17, 2019, 08:07:30 AM »
DTTD is one of my very favorite Edguy songs... I miss Edguy so much

that Lee Abraham song is pretty

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top (1)50 - Roulette songs ... Five more for Friday
« Reply #225 on: October 18, 2019, 07:43:00 AM »
90 - v3 / Evermind / Rainbow / Black Masquerade… again, totally not what I thought of when I thought ‘Rainbow’… Like, they existed after Dio?  I had no idea. :lolpalm:
89 - v3 / bl5150 / Mattador* / Tired… acoustic led ballad.   Yum, yum, yum.
88 - v3 / Mystery Machine / Steelhouse Lane / Seven Seas… smooth as silk.  I woulda swore this was Toby Hitchcock on the mic.
87 - v4 / Lethean / Madsword / Time in the Ice… dude, the old-school WDADU vibe is strong with this one.  Like seriously, did they steal the out-take tapes from DT in 1989?  Production even feels like WDADU.  Killer guitar solo in here.  KILLER!
86 - v3 / wolfking / Ride the Sky / New Protection… beautifully melodic and gravelly vocals, without any harshness.  Reminds me so much (both musically and vocally) of another tune you sent that will show up later.  Would love to check these guys out, sadly… they aren’t on Spotify.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #226 on: October 18, 2019, 07:45:17 AM »
I like not love most of the post-Pump "reunion era" Aerosmith, but Taste Of India is the exception.  I love that song. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2019, 07:50:41 AM »
86 - v3 / wolfking / Ride the Sky / New Protection… beautifully melodic and gravelly vocals, without any harshness.  Reminds me so much (both musically and vocally) of another tune you sent that will show up later.  Would love to check these guys out, sadly… they aren’t on Spotify.

I bought this record back when it came out in 2006 or 2007 whenever it was... it has some great tracks. "A Smile From Heaven's Eye" is a beautiful, warm, pop-rocker. I find the whole record, overall, to be somewhat average, but it has a lovely warm sound and some fantastic melodic rock/power metal on there like "The Prince of Darkness." I can hook you up if you want. Those two songs I mentioned are my favorites, but the title track rules (and has a music video)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2019, 09:56:56 AM »
I like not love most of the post-Pump "reunion era" Aerosmith, but Taste Of India is the exception.  I love that song.

Ive never heard that what album is that on. I’ll check it out when I get home today.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top (1)50 - Roulette songs ... Five for Friday.
« Reply #229 on: October 18, 2019, 10:03:22 AM »

Ive never heard that what album is that on. I’ll check it out when I get home today.

Nine Lives from 1997.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #230 on: October 18, 2019, 01:56:21 PM »

Nine Lives from 1997.

Half a good album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: October 18, 2019, 02:47:33 PM »

I bought this record back when it came out in 2006 or 2007 whenever it was... it has some great tracks. "A Smile From Heaven's Eye" is a beautiful, warm, pop-rocker. I find the whole record, overall, to be somewhat average, but it has a lovely warm sound and some fantastic melodic rock/power metal on there like "The Prince of Darkness." I can hook you up if you want. Those two songs I mentioned are my favorites, but the title track rules (and has a music video)

I would pretty much agree with what Michael is saying here.  That opener that I sent is easily the best song but it has it's moments even if it is average.

Only had 1 album and Uli canned the band with the reason being 'lack of interest' in the band from the public.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #232 on: October 18, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »
There’s so much stuff in here I have never even heard of. I’m actually surprised at least one of my sent songs is supposedly in here, although I have a feeling which one it’ll be..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: October 18, 2019, 03:22:05 PM »

I would pretty much agree with what Michael is saying here.  That opener that I sent is easily the best song but it has it's moments even if it is average.

Only had 1 album and Uli canned the band with the reason being 'lack of interest' in the band from the public.

yeah it was a shame cause bjorn's voice is really good and i only ever heard him on beyond twilight's for the love of art and the making outside of this group

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: October 18, 2019, 04:26:21 PM »
Well shit, I originally guessed 4 but I won't be surprised if I had like more than 8 songs here now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #235 on: October 18, 2019, 04:43:36 PM »
My songs have dried up. :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #236 on: October 18, 2019, 06:47:34 PM »
That Madsword song is just awesome.  I think the band only had that one album and were already done before I came across it. But it's good stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: October 18, 2019, 07:39:43 PM »
My songs have dried up. :lol

Do you enjoy setting yourself up for fogey jokes Tim?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #238 on: October 18, 2019, 07:43:59 PM »
Kingshmegland has hacked Kade's account! :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: October 18, 2019, 08:39:43 PM »
There’s so much stuff in here I have never even heard of. I’m actually surprised at least one of my sent songs is supposedly in here, although I have a feeling which one it’ll be..

I'm still amazed I won one of your roulettes.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top (1)50 - Roulette songs ... Weekend update
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2019, 04:52:48 AM »
85 - v1 / wolfking / Last Tribe** / Wash Away Your Sins… I think this was the first Magnus card you played.  And well done.  He can do no wrong, and not only did I dive full-on into Last Tribe, by the end of the 1st roulette, I dove full on into pretty much everything Magnus.
84 - v4 / wolfking / Soilwork / Rejection Role… limited growls don’t distract from the goodness here.  Love the melodies everywhere here.
83 - v2 / TAC / Waysted* / How The West Was Won…. Melodic rock goodness.  Catchy hooks and smooth-as-silk vocals.  Really not sure how this doesn’t fall into TAC’s “this blows” bucket.  Glad it doesn’t, cuz it’s fantastic.  Can’t say I’ve gone back to the album much though.
82 - v4 / kingshmegland / A.C.T. / The Effect… really not sure why I didn’t take more to A.C.T… this is right in my prog-rock wheelhouse.  Gonna give this album a spin later this morning to find out why.
81 - v1 / wolfking / Eclipse* / To Mend a Broken Heart… this song should’ve given you the victory in my first roulette, but at the time, something clicked more with the other song it was competing with.  The fact that I can’t even remember what song now tells you how well it aged compared to this one

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2019, 04:54:25 AM »
Still got to check out Waysted, Tim gave it to me in my roulette too, different song though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2019, 05:51:09 AM »
83 - v2 / TAC / Waysted* / How The West Was Won…. Melodic rock goodness.  Catchy hooks and smooth-as-silk vocals.  Really not sure how this doesn’t fall into TAC’s “this blows” bucket. Glad it doesn’t, cuz it’s fantastic.  Can’t say I’ve gone back to the album much though.

Well, I was already a huge fan before they brought Danny Vaughan in. I was a bit taken aback at first, but I played the shit out of this.

Half of the band is UFO!

Still got to check out Waysted, Tim gave it to me in my roulette too, different song though.

I might've used Heroes Die Young from the same album.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2019, 05:56:43 AM »
I think it was The Night of the Wolf or something similar sounding.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2019, 06:00:35 AM »
Oh, OK. That was with the previous singer. That song  :metal