Author Topic: Silent Skies (Tom Englund & Vikram Shankar)  (Read 2275 times)

Offline T-ski

Silent Skies (Tom Englund & Vikram Shankar)
« on: September 27, 2019, 05:54:42 PM »
Evergrey vocalist Tom Englund has paired up with Redemption's keyboardist Vikram Shankar....

"If you voice Scandinavian melancholy and let it run through the virtuosic fingers of an Oberlin Conservatory film score graduate, you get Silent Skies. It is the sum of two individual musical journeys that came together by coincidence; some would even call it fate.

Tom S. Englund, vocalist of Swedish band Evergrey, and Vikram Shankar's ways crossed when Englund saw Shankar re-interpret one of his compositions on piano on YouTube. A swift email suggesting a collaboration gave birth to ideas of a musical landscape rooted in cinematic, film score music, driven by Shankar's tender and emotive piano playing, but with the added sound of Englund's unique and charismatic vocals and strong melodic sensibility.

The compositions are both bleak and hopeful, setting a sombre tone, and with lyrics that stem from self-reflection and existential contemplation, the atmospheric music of Silent Skies is engrossing and hypnotizing, evoking in the listener visions for the inner eye."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3QRzZfMQUw

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline goo-goo

Re: Silent Skies (Tom Englund & Vikram Shankar)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 07:56:21 PM »
This sounds very promising. I love Tom's voice in this setting. Some of his best songs comes like this, in a piano setting. And Vikram is a great talent. His Lux Terminus material is stunning.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 09:39:50 AM »
Vik is great, but Tom sounds so meh.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 03:59:30 PM »
I really dig it, wasn't familiar with Lux.

On this specifically or do you not enjoy Tom in general?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »
I love it....have been a Tom fanboy since I discovered Evergrey 16 years ago, and Vikram is an incredible pianist.  Can't wait to hear more.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 06:53:09 PM »

I don't like him in general. He's not a good singer imo... also Evergrey is just so angsty. I kinda wish this was just an instrumental with Vik free to go wild, in a different manner than LT which is fantastic.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 03:38:21 PM »

I don't like him in general. He's not a good singer imo... also Evergrey is just so angsty. I kinda wish this was just an instrumental with Vik free to go wild, in a different manner than LT which is fantastic.

Ah, well then it makes sense. I personally really enjoy Tom but he has a very recognizable/distinct tone to him, that may not always resonate with people.

I have zero  experience with the other guy, but will check that out someday.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 10:11:14 AM »
I've had the new album, Nectar, on repeat for the past couple of weeks.  What an amazing album.  I love it.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline obelix5150

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 06:06:39 PM »
Vik from Silent Skies here - just a note that our new album Dormant releases Sept. 1 via Napalm Records. It's not a proper first single (that comes in a few weeks) but we released a cover of "The Trooper" as well: https://youtu.be/qMXS0JF8DTs

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 06:12:03 PM »
Vik from Silent Skies here - just a note that our new album Dormant releases Sept. 1 via Napalm Records. It's not a proper first single (that comes in a few weeks) but we released a cover of "The Trooper" as well: https://youtu.be/qMXS0JF8DTs

Hi Vik.. It's RJ from Facebook   ;D

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2023, 06:57:58 AM »

Spun that the other day.  Really nice arrangement!  Tom (as usual) sounds great.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2023, 11:17:02 AM »
Is anyone interested in reviewing this one?

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline obelix5150

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2023, 07:42:36 PM »
For those interested, we released our third album Dormant last week. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!