Author Topic: Rolling Stones discussion thread  (Read 5560 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rolling Stones discussion thread
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2023, 08:11:04 PM »
I like both.  But I'm picky making playlists with them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2023, 08:14:49 PM »
I like both.  But I'm picky making playlists with them.

Same.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2023, 09:14:00 PM »
Some of this is said in good fun.

As I hinted at before, I think their Brian Jones period is second only to the Beatles as far as relevance goes (I would put Pink Floyd and The Moodies slightly above the Stones for personal tastes of that period).   The Hot Rocks double album is a must, but I don’t know if there’s much need to go beyond that.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2023, 10:33:50 PM »
Hot Rocks got as much play on my first CD player as any CDs I owned for years. I don't believe I ever owned a Stones studio album. I doubt I could even name all their albums or which songs are on what album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2023, 11:17:42 PM »
New single:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/the-rolling-stones-reveal-new-single-angry-and-album-hackney-diamonds-release-date/

:metal

These guy's are absolutely the best thing that ever happened to music. The fact they are still writing and recording is so amazing. Thank you so much guys the world wouldn't be the same with out you.

That was a great video (and not just because of the girl). It was a good idea and very well done. Nothing remarkable about the song, though. Sounds like the Stones.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2023, 07:18:46 AM »
New single:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/the-rolling-stones-reveal-new-single-angry-and-album-hackney-diamonds-release-date/

These guy's are absolutely the best thing that ever happened to music. The fact they are still writing and recording is so amazing. Thank you so much guys the world wouldn't be the same with out you.

That was a great video (and not just because of the girl). It was a good idea and very well done. Nothing remarkable about the song, though. Sounds like the Stones.

I'm impressed by how seamlessly the images of the band blend into the billboard. It looks so natural, like something out of Harry Potter, but even better.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2023, 07:48:45 AM »
You don't like them?
I think my dad introduced me to them ages ago, and it was so fun to watch Mike movements were hilarious to me.
Growing up I got to like them more and more, and the drummer was a beast on his own.

I love the early stuff before Brian died. But I just feel like it gets so spotty after that.  I pretty much view them is an over rated bar band. The only reason they’re considered legends is because of their longevity, which I will tip my cap to.

Respect, but this isn't accurate at all.    It really isn't.   The Stones were peers of the fucking Beatles for gosh sakes.  Lesser peers, I give you, but peers nonetheless.  They were a very prominent counter to the Beatles, and had as much a presence in the London music scene from that '65 to '69-'70 era as any band.   Their run from Beggar's Banquet through Exile On Main St. is as seminal to that period of rock and roll as any four albums not named "Revolver through Abbey Road".   

Charlie Watts is considered one of the greatest rock drummers of all time.  He gets beaten up more than Jimmy Page for being sloppy, but Keith Richards has created some of the most memorable riffs of all time; you hear "Satisfaction" or "Honky Tonk Women" and you know EXACTLY who it is, immediately.   Mick Jagger is over whelmed by the cliches (the lips, whatever) but he's an ICONIC front man, and you have an almost entire genre of music inspired by him (I'm thinking of bands like The Killers, The Strokes... even Harry Styles has paid significant homage to Jagger).  He's also one of the very few guy - along with, funny enough, McCartney - who has had few if any vocal problems over the years.

I'm a huge Stones fan, all eras.  I think they are far more than just "longevity".  I think their early years are a prime example of the incorporation of blues (including American blues) into British rock.   I think the early mid-period is a prime example of the way music interfaced with culture.   Altamont; the Redlands arrests, the tax exile in the early '70s.   The late '70s, early '80s was a study in how to navigate roots while still maintaining relevancy.   And frankly, I think the latter period is about as vital as any other act still operating into their fifth or sixth decades (I wonder if he was being honest, if Bono wouldn't be jealous of that work when compared to the last two or three U2 albums).

Too much of the Stones is caricature, IMO.   Jagger, the preening, egomaniacal front man (when in reality, he is an incredibly smart, incredibly astute businessman who has shepherded the Stones since the mid-70s as manager, and according to Charlie Watts "Mick Jagger is the least egotistical person; he'll do what's right for the band."  He certainly put aside any feud with Richards in order to keep the Stones as a functioning entity.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2023, 07:54:58 AM »
New single:

I dug the song, but that video was something else.  I loved how the street signs moved in front of the billboards, seemlessly. I also liked how each of the billboards capture (perfectly, IMO) a discrete era of the band.  The one for "Emotional Rescue" (one of my favorite Stones albums) was especially cool.