Author Topic: What DT albums have been played in full?  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Shadow2222

What DT albums have been played in full?
« on: September 24, 2019, 05:59:15 PM »
As the topic says, what Dream Theater albums have they played in full at least once (at a single show)?

Is this the full list:

WDADU (Reunite show)
I&W (15th anniversary and recent shows)
SFAM
8VM (Romavarium show and maybe more)
The Astonishing

Have any other albums been played in their entirety?
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: What DT albums have been played in full?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 04:23:22 AM »
not at one single show, but during that particular tour: ADTOE (as is evidenced on Luna Park)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline krands85

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 04:54:45 AM »
Train of Thought was played in full in Manchester. Not sure if that happened at any other shows.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 07:54:53 AM »
Yup, that's it.  None of the others have.  Only the ones mentioned in the OP and TOT.  And barring either the band changing their position and revisiting TA or a future album being a concept album or having a strong unifying theme that would work as a structure for a live show, I don't see it happening.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
Thanks all, I forgot about TOT.

It'd be interesting to see if they keep revisiting "classic" albums for anniversaries, but considering they skipped Awake (well, they played the last five songs, but not the entire album) and FII, it certainly isn't a given.

I'd love to see them play Six Degrees in full, but the length would certainly be prohibitive. At least I&W and Scenes allow for a full first set of additional material.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 11:07:54 AM »
Yeah, I think it's unlikely as well, for the reasons you mentioned.  But on a somewhat-related note, as has often been noted, I think it's really cool that a band with so many songs in its catalog has gone out of their way to play all but a small handful of those songs live at one time or another, including a number of non-album rarities.  There just isn't much that hasn't been given to the fans at one point in time or another.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 11:32:37 AM »
Oh, most definitely. I personally feel lucky to have been at one of the handful of shows that they played Don't Look Past Me. I love that with every tour, I never know what to expect, and what songs they might decide to pull out.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 12:10:15 PM »
Yeah, that entire tour was a love letter to fans.  They basically said, "We want to go out and celebrate the anniversary of the album most of you like the most by playing it in its entirety, along with our fan-favorite mega-epic from that time period.  And we realize that a lot of you didn't love our last concept album as much as we do, and we hear you, so we want to supplement the set list on this next tour with other songs that have proven to be fan favorites in a live setting." 

Even on this present tour, I love that they are including songs from two under-represented albums that tonally fit very well with the other songs in the set.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 02:35:35 PM »
Yeah, that entire tour was a love letter to fans.  They basically said, "We want to go out and celebrate the anniversary of the album most of you like the most by playing it in its entirety, along with our fan-favorite mega-epic from that time period.  And we realize that a lot of you didn't love our last concept album as much as we do, and we hear you, so we want to supplement the set list on this next tour with other songs that have proven to be fan favorites in a live setting." 

Even on this present tour, I love that they are including songs from two under-represented albums that tonally fit very well with the other songs in the set.
ah, you mean ITPOE Part 1 and ANTR I'm sure (I may be wrong though). I agree btw. (although I'd have liked ITPOE to be played entirely, but anyway, who am I to complain)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 02:38:23 PM »
Yes.  And, yeah, I would have liked ITPOE to be played in its entirety as well.  But there just wasn't room in the set for that.