Author Topic: New DT live album/DVD  (Read 4252 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
New DT live album/DVD
« on: September 24, 2019, 04:41:12 AM »
From Facebook:
London!  We've added a second date at the Eventim Apollo next year, tickets go on sale this Friday at 10am. http://gigst.rs/DreamTheater

We are also excited to announce that we will be  filming both of these shows, stay tuned for more news on that!
Indeed :metal :metal :metal

Edit: sorry, it was already on DoT thread.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: New DT live album/DVD
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 12:06:17 PM »
good news

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 01:49:21 PM »
So does this mean the Astonishing didn't get one because it was seen as a flop and not because of a lack of demand for live releases in general?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 06:37:09 PM »
So does this mean the Astonishing didn't get one because it was seen as a flop and not because of a lack of demand for live releases in general?

Yeah, probably.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 09:45:05 PM »
Yeah it is a shame they couldn’t get a proshoot to document an Astonishing concert and release it for the fans. I’m not a huge Astonishing fan myself, but even I must admit that was *quite* the live show.

I get that it sells DVDs but I’m hoping they resist the temptation to add an orchestra. Last thing I want to hear/see is the London Junior Varsity B-Squad Symphony Orchestra trying to keep up with The Dance of Eternity.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 10:27:46 PM »
I get that it sells DVDs but I’m hoping they resist the temptation to add an orchestra. Last thing I want to hear/see is the London Junior Varsity B-Squad Symphony Orchestra trying to keep up with The Dance of Eternity.

They have done it twice so naah, they should try something new like guest musicians on stage or something like that
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Rob24

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 03:26:09 AM »
I mean, in general, dropping a live release for every album can seem a bit over the top, so leaving one out kinda makes sense to me.

Online nikatapi

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 04:12:55 AM »
Good that they're filming this.
The fact that they will be playing SFAM in its entirety will make the DVD live up to some high expectations.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 09:37:40 AM »
Yeah it is a shame they couldn’t get a proshoot to document an Astonishing concert and release it for the fans......... that was *quite* the live show.

It was one of the best live shows I've seen. That album was written to be played and experienced live.....really bummed there won't be a DVD of it anytime soon.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
Since this is going to be recorded next year, they could make another setlist change and/or rotate an A setlist and a B setlist for the first half of the show and the encore, with the 2nd half being SFAM. They record both nights and release an album with a varied setlist, hopefully with most of D/T, and a great live version of SFAM. Could be worse :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 10:59:31 AM »

Is that supposed to be a jab at the Berklee College of Music Orchestra that played on Bt4W?  The notion that a classically trained orchestra would have difficulty keeping up with any DT song is utterly laughable.

They have done it twice so naah, they should try something new like guest musicians on stage or something like that

Agree.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 11:04:09 AM »

Is that supposed to be a jab at the Berklee College of Music Orchestra that played on Bt4W?  The notion that a classically trained orchestra would have difficulty keeping up with any DT song is utterly laughable.

Well, yes and no.  The orchestration itself for any DT song would likely be well within their grasp.  But on the other hand, even VERY well educated and experienced classical musicians (and conductors, for that matter) typically do not deal on any regular basis with very many odd time signatures or pieces with so many time signature changes.  I am not saying it would be beyond an orchestra's ability by any stretch.  But I am confident that, for many, it would take some work to get up to speed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 11:25:26 AM »

I want a live choir version of Dance of Eternity.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 12:35:00 PM »

I want a live choir version of Dance of Eternity.

Well...there's that unaired episode of Glee.    ;D
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline efx

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 08:45:41 AM »

Well, yes and no.  The orchestration itself for any DT song would likely be well within their grasp.  But on the other hand, even VERY well educated and experienced classical musicians (and conductors, for that matter) typically do not deal on any regular basis with very many odd time signatures or pieces with so many time signature changes.  I am not saying it would be beyond an orchestra's ability by any stretch.  But I am confident that, for many, it would take some work to get up to speed.

As a classically trained musician I would have to say that's not remotely true. While the standard repertoire (i.e classical through romantic) is pretty straightforward rhythmically, anyone who has gone through conservatory training will have played and been exposed to enough 20th century music that would easily equal if not surpass the DT stuff in any sort of meter complexity.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 08:52:30 AM »
None of what you just typed contradicts what I said.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 10:28:54 AM »

As a classically trained musician I would have to say that's not remotely true. While the standard repertoire (i.e classical through romantic) is pretty straightforward rhythmically, anyone who has gone through conservatory training will have played and been exposed to enough 20th century music that would easily equal if not surpass the DT stuff in any sort of meter complexity.

Ummm...you disagreed with Bosk and then basically wrote exactly what he wrote but just in different words (with a non sequitur thrown in)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 10:32:48 AM »

But they didn't even end up using them on the live album anyway. Didn't they just dub in the studio version? Do I have this wrong?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 10:34:47 AM »
Yes, you have it wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 10:43:42 AM »
Yes, you have it wrong.

Are you saying that it IS the actual live performance from the concert on the live album?

I thought people with much better ears than mine had debunked that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 10:55:06 AM »
From what I understand, it's mixed with Jordan's keys, and the keys are a tad louder than the orchestra.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline faizoff

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2019, 06:19:41 AM »
This is great news, hopefully this time around they get a good mix done. The SFAM concert was excellent and the new tracks ruled live. Won't be able to make it to any show that are playing the other tracks that didn't play in my show.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2019, 08:42:16 AM »
I'm going to be there for the second night, flying there from Italy.
It'll be a special night for sure, but I hope they have something different in mind, some new ideas...
We already have a DVD with SFAM in its entirety, and it's probably my favorite one. They also made a short tribute with the orchestra to this album in "Breaking the fourth wall".
I'm afraid people will just complain about James and his voice, or Mike vs Mike.
Btw, I can't wait!!!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »
I'm there the first night, I'm seriously debating going the second night too. It's a serious waste of money...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2020, 10:50:03 AM »
Has there been any update on this? Any possible release date? I imagine it's the one thing that can be worked on during the pandemic.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2020, 10:59:45 AM »
Has there been any update on this? Any possible release date? I imagine it's the one thing that can be worked on during the pandemic.

IIRC, James said it was to be released around November. JP said he isn't sure about the release date, but that it's currently being worked on.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."