Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 97290 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #2380 on: January 08, 2024, 10:04:23 AM »
The Chicago Wolves minor league/AHL hockey team is having two Dementia Awareness nights this month with a ticket giveaway for caregivers and their families. 

I nominated my dad on Saturday night while I was at a game (it was Girl Scout's night) and the team accepted my dad's nomination first thing this morning and offered us all tickets.  The team may be sucking this year, but I have to say that they're a first-class organization.  My kids will be thrilled to go to the game.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2381 on: January 08, 2024, 01:20:57 PM »
Oh wow!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2382 on: January 08, 2024, 01:22:01 PM »
That's awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2383 on: January 09, 2024, 09:55:03 AM »
The daughter made the Dean's List at her college for the third time in three semesters!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2384 on: January 09, 2024, 11:25:09 AM »
The daughter made the Dean's List at her college for the third time in three semesters!

Outstanding!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2385 on: January 09, 2024, 12:08:20 PM »
:clap:

That's fantastic!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2386 on: January 09, 2024, 12:50:42 PM »
You've got to be so proud. Wonderful moment for parents.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2387 on: January 09, 2024, 12:52:20 PM »

Congratulations!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2388 on: January 09, 2024, 12:59:40 PM »
The Queen not having chemotherapy and just radiation and a pill for 5 years that starves any remaining cancer cells.

Late reply but that's great news Joe!

For me, after nearly 4 years my son is starting to talk and use words in context and to request things! He's babbled and displayed echolalia since he was roughly 18 months, but he's started to say "toi-yet" when he needs the toilet, "mik" when he wants milk and asking for mummy or daddy, when we're not there. This is a huge step for him and we couldn't be more proud. Not only that, but when he's making requests he's also making eye contact and looking to gauge our response (at least that how it seems) by our facial expressions as well as what we say. My wife and I have very full hearts.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2389 on: January 09, 2024, 01:32:04 PM »
That's wonderful Luke.   :tup :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2390 on: January 09, 2024, 01:35:06 PM »
The Queen not having chemotherapy and just radiation and a pill for 5 years that starves any remaining cancer cells.

For me, after nearly 4 years my son is starting to talk and use words in context and to request things! He's babbled and displayed echolalia since he was roughly 18 months, but he's started to say "toi-yet" when he needs the toilet, "mik" when he wants milk and asking for mummy or daddy, when we're not there. This is a huge step for him and we couldn't be more proud. Not only that, but when he's making requests he's also making eye contact and looking to gauge our response (at least that how it seems) by our facial expressions as well as what we say. My wife and I have very full hearts.

That's awesome dude!

Was echolalia something that was obvious or did a doctor happen to find it? Wondering for my own son who is 18 months old. He can count to 10 and say a ton of words, but I don't know if that is a concern now. But I am also a worrywart.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2391 on: January 09, 2024, 02:10:07 PM »
That's wonderful Luke.   :tup :tup

Cheers dude  :heart

That's awesome dude!

Was echolalia something that was obvious or did a doctor happen to find it? Wondering for my own son who is 18 months old. He can count to 10 and say a ton of words, but I don't know if that is a concern now. But I am also a worrywart.

I wouldn't worry at all dude. It wasn't that my son was displaying an abnormal amount of echolalia at 18 months as such, but he had been displaying some traits that made me think he could possibly be autistic. I've worked in care for over 10 years and have supported many adults and children with autism, so I was definitely over analysing everything he was and wasn't doing. As he got older it became obvious his speech was generally echolailic and he was scripting lines from TV shows/films.

Through the speech and language therapy he's been having, my wife and I have learnt about Gestalt language processers. Everyone basically learns to speak by starting with echolalia, but that stage in most kids is fairly short lived and they start to develop their language. Gestalt language processors can sometimes get stuck in the echolalia/scripting stage as they process language by hearing sentences as a whole, and process the intonation of speech rather than being able to break up the words.

My son, I think, is a gestalt language processor but has been able to occasionally use single words in context at times, over the last few years. Even though he's starting to use speech functionally, he still scripts a lot and his scripts are a way of expressing how he's feeling and come more naturally to him than trying to say the particular word, if that makes sense.

At 18 months though I wouldn't be concerned at all. We started to become a bit more concerned by age 2, as his speech hadn't developed at all, or very minimally, in those 6 months.

I always had faith he'd start to get there in his own time, and his speech therapist has helped us massively. He also uses an AAC communication decive to communicate his wants and needs, and for us to be able to help him prepare for his day, or any changes to his routine etc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2392 on: January 09, 2024, 02:14:06 PM »
That's great news, Luke! :heart
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2393 on: January 09, 2024, 02:17:53 PM »
Happy for you, Luke.

I was in your son's shoes at his age, and music unlocked everything.   

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2394 on: January 09, 2024, 02:23:45 PM »
I wouldn't worry at all dude. It wasn't that my son was displaying an abnormal amount of echolalia at 18 months as such, but he had been displaying some traits that made me think he could possibly be autistic. I've worked in care for over 10 years and have supported many adults and children with autism, so I was definitely over analysing everything he was and wasn't doing. As he got older it became obvious his speech was generally echolailic and he was scripting lines from TV shows/films.

Through the speech and language therapy he's been having, my wife and I have learnt about Gestalt language processers. Everyone basically learns to speak by starting with echolalia, but that stage in most kids is fairly short lived and they start to develop their language. Gestalt language processors can sometimes get stuck in the echolalia/scripting stage as they process language by hearing sentences as a whole, and process the intonation of speech rather than being able to break up the words.

My son, I think, is a gestalt language processor but has been able to occasionally use single words in context at times, over the last few years. Even though he's starting to use speech functionally, he still scripts a lot and his scripts are a way of expressing how he's feeling and come more naturally to him than trying to say the particular word, if that makes sense.

At 18 months though I wouldn't be concerned at all. We started to become a bit more concerned by age 2, as his speech hadn't developed at all, or very minimally, in those 6 months.

I always had faith he'd start to get there in his own time, and his speech therapist has helped us massively. He also uses an AAC communication decive to communicate his wants and needs, and for us to be able to help him prepare for his day, or any changes to his routine etc.

Appreciate this response and explanation! I will keep a closer eye as he develops his language.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2395 on: January 09, 2024, 02:43:50 PM »
That's great news, Luke! :heart

Thanks Tim. It feels like he's taken a huge step in the two weeks of Christmas.

Happy for you, Luke.

I was in your son's shoes at his age, and music unlocked everything.   

Alessandro, that is great to hear as he is obsessed with music. Currently it's still mainly Disney songs and TV theme tunes but I'm working on him. Out of the blue, nearly a year ago, he basically sang along to the whole of Let it Go (Frozen), out of nowhere. He didn't do it again for about 8 months.

After that I realised a lot of the time when he was babbling away to himself, he was singing to himself. As I know lots of his favourite songs I was able to pick out what he was singing, and where he was in the song. His singing is getting a lot clearer now so it's easier to tell what song is in his heart at any given moment.

I honestly love that, being that music is my obsession and my father's obsession before me.

@James, no worries and please don't overthink it dude.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2396 on: January 09, 2024, 05:10:17 PM »
Thanks all!

Great news for both of you as well!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2397 on: January 09, 2024, 05:17:18 PM »
Thank you guys. This past has been such a struggle but we are hopeful for 2024.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2398 on: January 10, 2024, 07:17:30 AM »

That's awesome dude!

Which means, of course, that you're a parent.  ;) :)

It's the hardest thing in the world, but have patience.   Yeah, there are guidelines, but there are as many growth milestones as there are kids, you know?   I know for me, I had to explicitly stop looking at every piece of data with my daughter and start to look at the bigger patterns.  She didn't have speech issues (though my grandson does) but hers were physical growth.  She literally did not even show UP on the growth charts until she was about nine months old or something like that.  She was on the chart but off the scale until like three or four  Now?  Well, she's no Rebecca Lobo, but she's 5'0" and healthy and normal.

My grandson was a slow starter verbally; he's now six and is actually now on the upper end of the "scale" in terms of verbal acuity. 

Currently it's still mainly Disney songs and TV theme tunes but I'm working on him. Out of the blue, nearly a year ago, he basically sang along to the whole of Let it Go (Frozen), out of nowhere. He didn't do it again for about 8 months.

Luke, I think you're probably joking around here, but in the slight chance you're not, "don't".  Remember, I'm older, so the whole "my music is best" thing has sort of passed me by anyway, but with my daughter, I would play a lot of music around her, and I always thought I'd want her to be a metal head or a prog head but after a fashion, I saw her making her own choices.  And while I could give a rat's ass about The Jonas Brothers, or Hanna Montana - and we can have spirited debates about the integrity of those musicians - it wasn't me that was listening to it, it was her.  And while I would provide general "direction" (I pointed out to her the concept of writing your own material, actually singing your songs, etc., and when her artist covered any material, I suggested she listen to the original) I let her find her enjoyment.

Today, 22 years later, she's a vinyl afficionado, and comes to me with pride and joy with her new 180g double vinyl of Taylor Swift's "1989 (Taylor's Version)", AND her vintage copy of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours".   Harry Styles AND Queen.   Nuture the LOVE, the OBSESSION, but free from judgment; he's going to like what he likes and that's the important thing. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2399 on: January 10, 2024, 07:20:48 AM »
I can still sing the Sigmund And The Sea Monster theme!!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2400 on: January 10, 2024, 07:54:54 AM »
Currently it's still mainly Disney songs and TV theme tunes but I'm working on him. Out of the blue, nearly a year ago, he basically sang along to the whole of Let it Go (Frozen), out of nowhere. He didn't do it again for about 8 months.

Luke, I think you're probably joking around here, but in the slight chance you're not, "don't".  Remember, I'm older, so the whole "my music is best" thing has sort of passed me by anyway, but with my daughter, I would play a lot of music around her, and I always thought I'd want her to be a metal head or a prog head but after a fashion, I saw her making her own choices.  And while I could give a rat's ass about The Jonas Brothers, or Hanna Montana - and we can have spirited debates about the integrity of those musicians - it wasn't me that was listening to it, it was her.  And while I would provide general "direction" (I pointed out to her the concept of writing your own material, actually singing your songs, etc., and when her artist covered any material, I suggested she listen to the original) I let her find her enjoyment.

Today, 22 years later, she's a vinyl afficionado, and comes to me with pride and joy with her new 180g double vinyl of Taylor Swift's "1989 (Taylor's Version)", AND her vintage copy of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours".   Harry Styles AND Queen.   Nuture the LOVE, the OBSESSION, but free from judgment; he's going to like what he likes and that's the important thing.

Oh yea, I wasn't serious. I play my music when he's around and we listen to his music in equal amounts, but I would never actually force my tastes on him. I love that he has had his own taste from a very early age. Certain songs would get him to instantly calm when he was a baby.  The first was The Clangers theme, followed by Sing from the Trollz movie. We sing Disney all the time at home now and I started buying him the picture disc vinyl.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2401 on: January 10, 2024, 02:50:14 PM »
That's awesome Luke! It'll be interesting to see his progress now that he's "leveled up" so to speak!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: January 10, 2024, 03:55:32 PM »
Awesome stuff Luke.  You must feel so proud.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2403 on: January 10, 2024, 03:59:50 PM »

Lidsville > Sigmund

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2404 on: January 10, 2024, 06:15:08 PM »
Stadler, thank you for your response to me. That was great.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2405 on: January 10, 2024, 06:33:45 PM »
Joe, Grappler, PG and Luke there is just a ton of great news the past page in this thread.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2406 on: January 11, 2024, 09:24:19 AM »

Lidsville > Sigmund

I don’t recognize Lidsville.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2407 on: January 11, 2024, 10:09:36 AM »

Lidsville > Sigmund

I don’t recognize Lidsville.

You have to love the days when a TV show would spend nearly 2 minutes on its theme song segment:  https://youtu.be/btpd8zg5VWA?si=-PhDDwzZ7vOZ3hBO  (warning, you might have an acid trip just by watching this).   :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2408 on: January 11, 2024, 10:47:33 AM »
^ Damn, I suspect there's more musical information inside that song theme than in the actual whole Spotify Top 10 singles chart.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2409 on: January 25, 2024, 06:31:55 AM »
We had our performance reviews at work this week. I wasn't really excited for mine, I pretty much phoned it in last year due to some personal issues I was going through. I come to find out that I had a an amazing performance review and that I'm getting a title promotion + raise + the biggest bonus I've ever gotten. Really made my week!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2410 on: January 25, 2024, 07:24:49 AM »
Congratulations!

See? Only good things happen when you rank Zydar high enough.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2411 on: January 25, 2024, 07:25:40 AM »
Congratulations!

Zydar is always high enough.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2412 on: January 25, 2024, 07:39:21 AM »
We had our performance reviews at work this week. I wasn't really excited for mine, I pretty much phoned it in last year due to some personal issues I was going through. I come to find out that I had a an amazing performance review and that I'm getting a title promotion + raise + the biggest bonus I've ever gotten. Really made my week!
:metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: January 25, 2024, 07:47:21 AM »
Congratulations!

Zydar is always high enough.

:zydarscouch:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2414 on: January 25, 2024, 07:58:21 AM »

Yay!!! Congratulations!!