Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 97295 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #2345 on: December 05, 2023, 06:48:21 AM »
^
Kudos to all above :tup

Mrs. DA tested negative again for cancer a few weeks ago after having a lymph node removed for a test last January. Her sister flew out for that, and she's here today on a related business trip.  Glad to have her company.

The wife and I went to NYC to see 'Gutenburg:  The Musical'.  Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells (from 'The Book of Mormon') were just as funny and talented as when we saw them on Broadway years ago in that show. ‘Gutenberg’… a silly, smart, stupid, sarcastic ridiculous play that had me in such stitches so much that I was laughing aloud at times (others were audibly guffawing at other times when I was silently laughing myself silly).  At the end, when the 'guest producer' showed up (for our show, it was Katie Couric), I was in tears, and I simply could not stop laughing.  I would wipe the tears from my eyes...and then I'd start uncontrollably laughing again. :lol :lol :lol

That happened once during the summer when my best friend visited, we were out in the garage, and somebody said something, and, well.....

Moving on......

The tradition of me and the missus on long trips is to play the end of my best of DT III disc with the Score version of 'The Razor's Edge' as we near our exit on I 695.  ('we move in circles.....the story ends where it began...').  On that disc, I placed what James says after 'Metropolis'...

"Thank you, New York!  This is definitely a memorable evening for us all.  Thanks for making the magic...and keeping the dream alive!!!  Good night!!!"

Crowd noise, and then there's Portnoy:

"There's no place like home.  Thank you so much, New York.  This is one of the best nights of our career.  Thank you so much."

It kinda hit me like a two ton heavy thing hearing it yesterday.  The first time in thirteen years that.....well.....instead of feeling some pangs, well....you know...... ;)

I missed this the first time; thank goodness for that.  Happy for her and for you.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2346 on: December 06, 2023, 07:06:34 AM »
We thank you, Bill
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2347 on: December 06, 2023, 08:52:16 AM »
This definitely made me happy today:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/italian-opera-singing-added-unesco-world-heritage-list-2023-12-06/

It's mostly immaterial and symbolic, of course, but it feels like a bit of vindication after being deemed "unessential" during the CoVid crisis.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2348 on: December 06, 2023, 09:49:40 AM »
This definitely made me happy today:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/italian-opera-singing-added-unesco-world-heritage-list-2023-12-06/

It's mostly immaterial and symbolic, of course, but it feels like a bit of vindication after being deemed "unessential" during the CoVid crisis.

I thought this was funny..

"U.N. culture agency UNESCO said on Wednesday it had included opera under its category of Intangible Cultural Heritage, which already features other famed Italian practices such as pizza-making."
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2349 on: December 06, 2023, 10:15:35 AM »
It is quite funny, and a relief since I was expecting something more damning as "fascism-pioneering" or "organised crime-inventing".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: December 09, 2023, 05:03:27 PM »
Heading out to see a local ska band soon, they kind of "made it" (at least as far as a ska band goes) and they do their local holiday show every year. It always brings back memories of early teenage concerts seeing the earlier formation of this band.  Going to be a fun night.  Band is Streetlight Manifesto and as usual, show is sold out at Starland.  :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2351 on: December 10, 2023, 12:55:02 AM »
Heading out to see a local ska band soon, they kind of "made it" (at least as far as a ska band goes) and they do their local holiday show every year. It always brings back memories of early teenage concerts seeing the earlier formation of this band.  Going to be a fun night.  Band is Streetlight Manifesto and as usual, show is sold out at Starland.  :metal

Damn, I Love Streetlight Manifesto! I've only seen them once, at Rebellion Festival in 2010. Enjoy dude, ska shows are the best!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2352 on: December 11, 2023, 06:38:19 AM »
King's note about the Queen and their prospects for 2024!  :) :)  :heart

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2353 on: December 11, 2023, 06:39:08 AM »
Thank you, Bill.  I'm getting choked up at work right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #2354 on: December 16, 2023, 02:54:46 PM »
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 10:53:39 AM by crystalstars17 »

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #2355 on: December 16, 2023, 05:44:52 PM »
oh, easy:  when I go jogging, I always feel so very good.  And then home, shower and relax with my angel.  Play music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBMGSCyYIAQ
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2356 on: December 29, 2023, 05:29:23 AM »
Having live chats with friends and family I don't get the chance to get together in person with.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2357 on: December 29, 2023, 06:58:44 AM »
Having live chats with friends and family I don't get the chance to get together in person with.
Indeed!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2358 on: December 29, 2023, 07:03:41 AM »

Hell yeah!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2359 on: December 29, 2023, 07:15:57 AM »
I woke up today and the Browns are in the playoffs for the 2nd time in 4 seasons! As a long suffering Cleveland sports fan, I'm just going along for the ride, and, if the Flacco magic continues, I'll be burning a couch in downtown Cleveland some time in early February!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2360 on: December 29, 2023, 07:45:51 AM »
I woke up today and the Browns are in the playoffs for the 2nd time in 4 seasons! As a long suffering Cleveland sports fan, I'm just going along for the ride, and, if the Flacco magic continues, I'll be burning a couch in downtown Cleveland some time in early February!

Hey, fellow Browns fan!

You and me both :metal

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2361 on: December 29, 2023, 08:25:48 AM »

Hey, fellow Browns fan!

You and me both :metal

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #2362 on: January 04, 2024, 06:01:47 AM »
Our washing machine came back on and appears to be running like a champ after I replaced the pump.  I was ecstatic when I heard water sloshing through the outbound hose and that I didn't make the problem worse.  I figured there was at least a 50% chance water would shoot out all over the laundry room when I fired it up post repair  :lol 

This is something I'd normally call a technician for, but decided to take a stab at it myself to save $$.  It was a good day  :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2363 on: January 04, 2024, 06:12:44 AM »

HAHA, I love it!!!  :)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2364 on: January 04, 2024, 07:10:06 AM »

HAHA, I love it!!!  :)

I have an old couch in my garage that I'm saving for just such an occasion! My wife keeps asking me when I'm going to get rid of it, and I'm really hoping that the Browns winning a Super Bowl is that moment.  ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: January 04, 2024, 07:14:51 AM »
The Queen not having chemotherapy and just radiation and a pill for 5 years that starves any remaining cancer cells.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2366 on: January 04, 2024, 07:16:22 AM »
The Queen not having chemotherapy and just radiation and a pill for 5 years that starves any remaining cancer cells.

That's focking GREAT!

It made me happy today as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2367 on: January 04, 2024, 07:17:34 AM »

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2368 on: January 04, 2024, 07:20:12 AM »

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: January 04, 2024, 07:57:08 AM »

I don't know what's better; King's news or that GIF.  I mean, King's news, of course, but it shouldn't have been that close.  :) :) :) :) :)

(I'm kidding, Joe, of course I'm happy for Lisa and you; we'll take whatever victories we can, amirite?)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2370 on: January 04, 2024, 08:14:52 AM »

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: January 04, 2024, 08:17:34 AM »
 :panicattack:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2372 on: January 04, 2024, 08:19:41 AM »
:octavarium:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: January 04, 2024, 04:10:44 PM »

That's absolutely fantastic mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2374 on: January 04, 2024, 04:11:59 PM »

I don't know what's better; King's news or that GIF.  I mean, King's news, of course, but it shouldn't have been that close.  :) :) :) :) :)

(I'm kidding, Joe, of course I'm happy for Lisa and you; we'll take whatever victories we can, amirite?)

I still get taken aback everytime I see that pop up.  I mean, it's just a shock seeing Karl Stefanovic and Lisa Wilkinson pop up on DTF.   :lol  Good to see some Aussies getting represented in gif format though so all good here.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2375 on: January 04, 2024, 04:49:13 PM »
Their reactions to each other are just perfect when a "Fuck Yeah" is required.

Plus, she's easy on the eyes in that clip

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2376 on: January 04, 2024, 05:28:17 PM »
Their reactions to each other are just perfect when a "Fuck Yeah" is required.

Plus, she's easy on the eyes in that clip

Lisa Wilkinson is amazingly hot for her age.  Not as much these days with the last few years she's had but on screen back then she had it all IMO.  Stefanovic is just a classic douchebag but was perfect for morning TV.  Can't stand him personally.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2377 on: January 04, 2024, 05:53:51 PM »
Oh hell yeah Joe and Lisa :metal :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: January 04, 2024, 06:20:23 PM »
Way to greet 2024 by punching it right in the face!

Also, taking a pill to remedy a problem reminded me of:

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2379 on: January 05, 2024, 04:02:21 AM »
 :lol

Thank you all. Lisa has a good friend going through the sane thing and are sisters in arms. I'm glad they have each other to lean on.