Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 97096 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #1855 on: July 13, 2023, 08:10:04 AM »
That tiktok actually came up on my feed last week, pretty cool story. 

I have no idea who the artist is, but this short is fantastic!

https://youtube.com/shorts/yNJBWapJoUs?feature=share

Stuff like this is always awesome to see at concerts

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1856 on: August 24, 2023, 11:48:46 AM »
This might be premature but after meeting with my orthodontist I finally have a date when my braces come off, December 5th, can't fucking wait.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1857 on: August 24, 2023, 11:54:35 AM »
This might be premature but after meeting with my orthodontist I finally have a date when my braces come off, December 5th, can't fucking wait.

That's awesome.

I remember when I got my braces off, the first thing I wanted to bite into was an apple.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1858 on: August 24, 2023, 11:58:33 AM »
Went to the bagel shop to get my breakfast on the way to work, and some nice guy paid for my bagel and soda. Never had someone do that. Thanked him and continued on my day. Very cool. I've paid for peoples' orders before (I tend to like doing it for solo elderly people), but never had (that I can remember) someone do it for me. Nice gesture.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1859 on: August 24, 2023, 12:22:57 PM »
Went to the bagel shop to get my breakfast on the way to work, and some nice guy paid for my bagel and soda. Never had someone do that. Thanked him and continued on my day. Very cool. I've paid for peoples' orders before (I tend to like doing it for solo elderly people), but never had (that I can remember) someone do it for me. Nice gesture.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1860 on: August 24, 2023, 01:21:52 PM »
I bought another Cannibal Corpse shirt! Violence Unimagined shirt!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1861 on: August 24, 2023, 02:00:37 PM »
One of my kids has Covid!  Why does this make me happy?  Because at 2:30 am my phone rang and my daughter says, "Ok mom, don't freak out." 

I think it takes a millisecond for a parent hearing that sentence in the middle of the night to start freaking out.

But anyway, she tells me she's in an ambulance on the way to the hospital because her heart rate is 160 which woke her out of a sound sleep.  She has been having some minor palpitations over this past year - wore a halter monitor (neg) - and finally has a cardiology appointment that she's waited 6 months for scheduled for next week.  So she was pretty freaked out.  All the testing was normal.  24 lead EKG four times.  Blood pressure normal.  Basic blood work normal.  They sent her home telling her she had anxiety from a nightmare (ugh bullshit and don't get me started on THAT) and gave her a valium.  She Uber'd home around 4 am.

She texts me at 8 saying her heart rate is still elevated and she's feeling like the valium only made her drowsy.  She has a headache.  She's on the phone with her PCP to see if they want her to go back into the ER or come in to see them.  Somewhere along the line between 8 am and 9 am she opts to take a Covid test.  Sure enough....

I never thought I'd be happy my kid has Covid but I'm just so damn thankful she's not having some worsening heart issue.  And yes, our heart rate can go up when we are sick especially if we have a fever. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1862 on: August 24, 2023, 02:05:16 PM »
Hopefully it doesn't jeopardize her cardiology appointment. That would really suck.

I'm sure it's awful to take a call like that in the middle of the night.

I hope she feels better. How far away from each other are you?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1863 on: August 24, 2023, 02:11:44 PM »
One of my kids has Covid!  Why does this make me happy?  Because at 2:30 am my phone rang and my daughter says, "Ok mom, don't freak out." 

I think it takes a millisecond for a parent hearing that sentence in the middle of the night to start freaking out.

But anyway, she tells me she's in an ambulance on the way to the hospital because her heart rate is 160 which woke her out of a sound sleep.  She has been having some minor palpitations over this past year - wore a halter monitor (neg) - and finally has a cardiology appointment that she's waited 6 months for scheduled for next week.  So she was pretty freaked out.  All the testing was normal.  24 lead EKG four times.  Blood pressure normal.  Basic blood work normal.  They sent her home telling her she had anxiety from a nightmare (ugh bullshit and don't get me started on THAT) and gave her a valium.  She Uber'd home around 4 am.

She texts me at 8 saying her heart rate is still elevated and she's feeling like the valium only made her drowsy.  She has a headache.  She's on the phone with her PCP to see if they want her to go back into the ER or come in to see them.  Somewhere along the line between 8 am and 9 am she opts to take a Covid test.  Sure enough....

I never thought I'd be happy my kid has Covid but I'm just so damn thankful she's not having some worsening heart issue.  And yes, our heart rate can go up when we are sick especially if we have a fever.

Scary read but sending healing vibes! I can send you my Cannibal Corpse shirt, its better than covid.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1864 on: August 24, 2023, 02:12:14 PM »
She should be fine with the appointment next week (pretty sure Friday next) as current guidelines are 5 days isolating then 5 days masking.  She'll let them know ahead, of course.

We live about 10 minutes away from each other by car.  She moves in a month and will be about 15 minutes away.  I'm lucky.

Thanks for the kind words.  Yeah, it was a bit triggering for me with how things went down with my mom and my sister but of course she did the exact correct thing.

LoL @ Glasser

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1865 on: August 24, 2023, 02:49:17 PM »
I hope she bounces back quickly, Harmony.   I love when our kids make us proud.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1866 on: August 25, 2023, 04:07:03 AM »
Yeah, not good news but like you said, given the situation, that's not the worse outcome. 

All this covid talk has got me worried about progpower in a couple weeks if I'm being honest.  My Dr friend mentioned he's seeing a lot more kids recently with covid as well. I'm not overall worried, I'm just currently traveling and going to be traveling again and then it's my brothers wedding.  Just too much going on to get sick right now.  Luckily I'm mostly by myself on this business trip and don't really plan on being in crowded areas, but I do need to get through the airports.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1867 on: August 25, 2023, 12:53:51 PM »
My wife and I both came home under the weather from Disney. She has a non stop running nose and I just feel off.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1868 on: August 25, 2023, 12:56:17 PM »
My wife and I both came home under the weather from Disney. She has a non stop running nose and I just feel off.

And you're happy about that?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1869 on: August 25, 2023, 12:58:20 PM »
Well, no, not really. ;D
Just tagging along with the current posts.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1870 on: August 25, 2023, 01:01:31 PM »

Covid home tests are fucking expensive!  We finally went through all of the free ones we've gotten.  These should be free.  Seriously.  Shit is going to get bad again once back to school is in full bloom.

Spent 4 hours in the ER with my kid from midnight to 4.  She's had horrible tachycardia which has been very frightening for her.  She's 26 and healthy.  They gave her some fluids and she's staying on top of her fever more with Tylenol and Motrin.  All tests were otherwise normal.

I'm fully exposed now.  We double masked in the car with windows down on the drive to and from.  I stayed in the parking lot while she was getting care.  But I'd say the odds aren't good I will avoid getting it.  Oh joy.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1871 on: August 25, 2023, 01:03:10 PM »
Well, no, not really. ;D
Just tagging along with the current posts.

Just messing with ya my friend, I hope the vaca was good and I hope you both feel better soon. The older we get the higher the price tag is on things that were simple years ago.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1872 on: August 25, 2023, 01:05:27 PM »

Covid home tests are fucking expensive!  We finally went through all of the free ones we've gotten.  These should be free.  Seriously.  Shit is going to get bad again once back to school is in full bloom.

Spent 4 hours in the ER with my kid from midnight to 4.  She's had horrible tachycardia which has been very frightening for her.  She's 26 and healthy.  They gave her some fluids and she's staying on top of her fever more with Tylenol and Motrin.  All tests were otherwise normal.

I'm fully exposed now.  We double masked in the car with windows down on the drive to and from.  I stayed in the parking lot while she was getting care.  But I'd say the odds aren't good I will avoid getting it.  Oh joy.

So she went back to the ER??

We still have a bunch of free tests here, but whatever it is, it'll be gone in a few days.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1873 on: August 25, 2023, 01:10:50 PM »

No Cannibal Corpse shirt will remedy that but seriously, being tachy is very scary and seems to be part of the Covid theme. My older son is in health care and a volunteer fireman/EMT so we don't pay for the tests but it should be free for everyone. Try contacting your local town office, I'm pretty sure they offer them free, not sure how many but they do that here in my town. I'm sorry you're both going through this and start loading up on Zinc asap!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1874 on: August 25, 2023, 01:11:32 PM »
Yep, she called me at midnight with a heart rate of 150.  She'd been above 100 for over 24 hours at that point, mainly 120ish territory.  The choice was ambulance again, drive herself (she felt like shit), and me taking her. 

For me, one of the worst parts about Covid is how differently it impacts all of us.  For most, it's not a big deal.  But for others it can be.

Thanks Glasser.  The ER was definitely busy last night.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1875 on: August 25, 2023, 01:50:22 PM »
Sorry to hear Harmony, hope for the best for your girl.  As for yourself, you've done all you can to help and try to protect yourself. To go back to the weird thing about covid, there's also so many stories of close exposure living with someone infected and not getting sick.  You just don't know.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1876 on: August 25, 2023, 01:57:18 PM »
Thanks Cram - you're right and I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed for sure.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1877 on: August 25, 2023, 02:48:06 PM »
Ok, I'm running a fever and body aches just hit me like a wave. My wife reminded me I had a tetanus shot yesterday and that this is a possible side effect. This is a first for me but its been 10 years.  :tdwn

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1878 on: September 05, 2023, 08:28:23 AM »
I'm not sure if this counts as "happy" but I am feeling some pretty profound emotions right now, so just thought I'd swing by and have a word vomit. :lol

My wife and I are expecting a baby in January and decided to move into a larger house. We are very excited and, relatively speaking, not a lot's changing because we're staying in the same neighborhood! However, it's also made me very reflective and sentimental. We moved into our current place in 2017. It was a new construction, so I remember us visiting it all the time when it was merely a block of wood. We watched it transform into a beautiful little townhome, and it was there we got our first doggo and decided to have kids. We had such a wonderful time there and I can't help but think back on how thankful we are.

I feel very lucky and happy for a phenomenal six years. It will take time for our new place to truly feel like home. These "end of era" moments mean more and more to me as I get older and move into new phases of life. One of the few constants has been, ironically enough, DTF! :metal I don't normally share personal stuff on here but... I dunno, it seemed appropriate for today. :)
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1879 on: September 05, 2023, 08:46:08 AM »
Congrats on the baby and new home :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1880 on: September 05, 2023, 09:13:26 AM »
Congrats on moving to bigger and better things while starting a family, sounds great

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1881 on: September 05, 2023, 09:17:24 AM »
Congratulations!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1882 on: September 15, 2023, 02:15:20 PM »
So yesterday was my birthday -holds for applause- and one of the gifts my wife got me was a cameo from Jordan Ruddess.

It was sweet but I as he was talking I noticed the video was almost 3 minutes. So instead of just wishing me a happy birthday, he also improvised a bunch of piano stuff for me and did a rag time happy birthday. It was really damn cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1883 on: September 15, 2023, 02:16:43 PM »
Wow, that's cool.
Happy Birthday!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: September 15, 2023, 02:53:50 PM »
Happy Birthday!!! 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1885 on: September 15, 2023, 03:18:11 PM »
How did I miss this!!  Happy birthday Adami!

Your wife rules!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1886 on: September 18, 2023, 07:09:24 PM »
Tonight is the last night on this cruise ship and I had $250 of ship credit to burn at the casino. Head down there and the blackjack tables were packed. To kill some time I sat down at a slot machine, I've only played the slots once and that was my first time in Vegas. Drop $20 in and in a little over 2 hours and 5 drinks I walked away with close to $700. Great way to end a pretty mediocre vacation.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1887 on: September 20, 2023, 06:00:54 AM »
Got married on Sunday.  Was supposed to be a big event, but my wife-to-be tested positive for COVID the day before and we had to scramble to pivot on a lot of plans.  Fortunately, our vendors were awesome and still allowed us to get married outside/distanced - and we contacted all of our guests to let them know it was still happening, totally understand if you can't/don't want to make it.  There would be a reschedule for the cocktail hour/reception/dinner.  So many showed up anyway, so appreciative. 

I just tested positive today, and while it should bum me out, I'm still so happy knowing so many people came out anyway.  We also got our reception/honeymoon rescheduled to next month.  So much to be unhappy about, but with so much to be grateful for - why bother wasting time unhappy. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1888 on: September 20, 2023, 06:45:58 AM »
Got married on Sunday.  Was supposed to be a big event, but my wife-to-be tested positive for COVID the day before and we had to scramble to pivot on a lot of plans.  Fortunately, our vendors were awesome and still allowed us to get married outside/distanced - and we contacted all of our guests to let them know it was still happening, totally understand if you can't/don't want to make it.  There would be a reschedule for the cocktail hour/reception/dinner.  So many showed up anyway, so appreciative. 

I just tested positive today, and while it should bum me out, I'm still so happy knowing so many people came out anyway.  We also got our reception/honeymoon rescheduled to next month.  So much to be unhappy about, but with so much to be grateful for - why bother wasting time unhappy.

Really happy for you, man (on the wedding).   I know it must be bittersweet, but "marriage" isn't about the wedding day and it sounds like - the way you guys handled it all - that you have the foundation to make this thing beautiful.   Good luck to you both, and give the bride our congratulations (for the wedding) and our condolences (on the COVID).  Same to you; hope you bounce back quick!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1889 on: September 20, 2023, 08:17:38 AM »
That's a good mind set to have on such a shitty thing happening.  Glad it seems like the rescheduling will work out, and congrats!

Tonight is the last night on this cruise ship and I had $250 of ship credit to burn at the casino. Head down there and the blackjack tables were packed. To kill some time I sat down at a slot machine, I've only played the slots once and that was my first time in Vegas. Drop $20 in and in a little over 2 hours and 5 drinks I walked away with close to $700. Great way to end a pretty mediocre vacation.

Hell yeah  :metal