Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 97052 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #1260 on: June 30, 2022, 06:46:09 AM »
Congrats Adami,

Can you share the university (in PM if need be)?  Will you be able to take public transportation at least?
He mentioned it was an hour by train
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1261 on: June 30, 2022, 07:06:07 AM »
That's awesome. An hour each way gives you plenty of time to DTF.

TAC speaks the truth here

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1262 on: June 30, 2022, 07:14:59 AM »
That's awesome. An hour each way gives you plenty of time to DTF.

There’s never enough time to disagree with Stadler completely. But this will sure help!

Since you got such a good break in your career, I'll work with you.  Cut down some of the back and forth.  :) :) :) :)

Can you share the university (in PM if need be)?  Will you be able to take public transportation at least?

City College of New York. Oldest part of CUNY and first free higher education institution in America, apparently.

Wasn't my first choice due to the distance, but the much closer one seems to be falling apart a bit, so this one seems much more stable and hopefully will be a good fit and the only downside will be an hour on a subway twice a day.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1263 on: June 30, 2022, 07:17:14 AM »
Congrats Adami,

He mentioned it was an hour by train

Haha, I don't read anything Adami writes.  :)  :) :)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1264 on: June 30, 2022, 07:22:06 AM »
City College of New York. Oldest part of CUNY and first free higher education institution in America, apparently.

Wasn't my first choice due to the distance, but the much closer one seems to be falling apart a bit, so this one seems much more stable and hopefully will be a good fit and the only downside will be an hour on a subway twice a day.

That's cool!, I graduated from there almost a decade ago :) Good school

Online Adami

« Reply #1265 on: June 30, 2022, 07:23:07 AM »

That's cool!, I graduated from there almost a decade ago :) Good school

Nice! I've never been there, but the pictures look great haha.

I just hope my office has a window.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1266 on: June 30, 2022, 07:42:05 AM »
Congrats, Adami!  :tup :tup

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1267 on: June 30, 2022, 07:46:27 AM »
I spent most of my time (at least the last 3 years there) at Shepard Hall, really nice architecture on that building. Not sure which building you will be in, but make sure to get to know the each of those buildings surrounding the quad. the NAC building is interesting in its own way as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: June 30, 2022, 07:55:47 AM »
Congrats on the job, and good luck on all the crazy shit you will see daily on the subway  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: June 30, 2022, 08:06:01 AM »
Congrats on the job, and good luck on all the crazy shit you will see daily on the subway  :lol

I expect Adami to appear on "Ridiculousness" in some capacity in the next year.   :) :) :)

Online Adami

« Reply #1270 on: June 30, 2022, 08:07:03 AM »

I expect Adami to appear on "Ridiculousness" in some capacity in the next year.   :) :) :)

Am I too old or too young or too overworked to know what the hell that is?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1271 on: June 30, 2022, 08:16:22 AM »
It's a "funny/not funny" video show (similar to AFV) which features a girl with the most annoying laugh you will ever hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHhsgySjRLo

Love Ridiculousness btw

I think this is what Stad is talking about

https://youtu.be/3GFNYhKVibs?t=64

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: June 30, 2022, 08:43:11 AM »
It's a "funny/not funny" video show (similar to AFV) which features a girl with the most annoying laugh you will ever hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHhsgySjRLo

Love Ridiculousness btw

I think this is what Stad is talking about

https://youtu.be/3GFNYhKVibs?t=64

Yeah; I call it a sort of "adult" America's Funniest Home Videos.  Instead of AFV's dogs falling off tables or whatever, Ridiculousness will have dogs taking a crap on the couch and caught by the security cams.   Instead of AFV's kids doing cute things, Ridiculousness has a lot of drunk college kids doing dumb shit.   There seems to be a fair amount of video of people doing crazy stuff on mass transit.  :) :) :)

I laugh out loud more at that show than just about any other.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1273 on: June 30, 2022, 11:39:32 AM »
I just saw on a news feed that yet another disgusting thug "musician" got a lengthy (30 years) prison term. Keep up the good work prosecutors.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: July 06, 2022, 09:52:56 AM »
So... little background...

- My dad was a HUGE fan of Kris Kristofferson, having seen him multiple times, and he and mom even met him once in San Antonio. 
- My mom and dad used to go to Nashville frequently for vacations.  Grand Ole Opry, Dollywood, etc.

So it's my anniversary this week and my wife and I decided to sneak off for a couple days to celebrate.  We land, check in, and decide to go downtown to get a drink.  First place we go is Tootsie's a legendary Nashville dump dive bar.  The place - two stories - is packed.  Not even a bar seat on the first floor and on the second we get up there and "magically", there is one table wide open.  We grab it.  I order drinks, and I'm looking around at the memorabilia, and notice the ceiling of the place:

https://i.imgur.com/8TkC94R.jpg

All the acoustic tiles are painted black except the one right above our open table.   I look closer, and I see:

https://i.imgur.com/qts0GxR.jpg

Written in ash from an ashtray is "Peace    Kris Kristofferson".  I don't know what you believe, and you're all entitled to your opinions on this, but I cried a little and took great joy and comfort from this random coincidence/message/whatever. 

( I don't know why the links are showing up and not the photos; but the links should work.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 10:02:38 AM by Stadler »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1275 on: July 06, 2022, 10:04:27 AM »
Very cool!  We were down there for Morsefest.  First time in Nashville.  The city is a blast!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1276 on: July 06, 2022, 10:06:18 AM »

All the acoustic tiles are painted black except the one right above our open table.   I look closer, and I see:

https://i.imgur.com/qts0GxR.jpg

Written in ash from an ashtray is "Peace    Kris Kristofferson".  I don't know what you believe, and you're all entitled to your opinions on this, but I cried a little and took great joy and comfort from this random coincidence/message/whatever. 

( I don't know why the links are showing up and not the photos; but the links should work.)

That is amazing, Bill. Amazing!

I believe we are looking at Nashville for a possible/probable trip in January.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: July 06, 2022, 10:07:39 AM »
Very cool!  We were down there for Morsefest.  First time in Nashville.  The city is a blast!

Turns out, my wife's high school friend lives maybe 15, 20 minutes from Cross Plains.  If it happens again next year, I may experience my first Morsefest! 

I'm loving it here. I can see coming back for sure.  We did the Country Music Hall Of Fame yesterday as well as the Grand Ole Opry.  Don't know what we're doing today, but maybe the Johnny Cash museum, and maybe the Hank Williams Jr. museum (I'm a big outlaw country guy).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: July 06, 2022, 10:09:36 AM »
Johnny Cash museum was great.  You'll love it.  That whole downtown is so much fun.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1279 on: July 19, 2022, 12:05:57 PM »
Well, as most of you already know, happiness comes in small doses.  You know, a cigarette, a cookie, or and an orgasm from time to time.  My small dose of the day was finding out that my unholy pig of a fucking manager is retiring in 6 months.  May the spring loaded door hit him in the ass on his way out.  :loser:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: July 21, 2022, 07:18:02 AM »
Well, as most of you already know, happiness comes in small doses.  You know, a cigarette, a cookie, or and an orgasm from time to time.  My small dose of the day was finding out that my unholy pig of a fucking manager is retiring in 6 months.  May the spring loaded door hit him in the ass on his way out.  :loser:

Outstanding!  Make sure you slash his tyres on his last day, or his brakes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: July 22, 2022, 03:58:39 PM »
Hearing Gilbert Gottfried recite Wet Ass Pussy. My sides are hurting. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: July 23, 2022, 08:39:52 AM »
Keith Urban.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1283 on: July 23, 2022, 11:09:09 AM »
Watching the movie STEP BROTHERS. It gets funnier every time I watch it.  :rollin

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1284 on: July 24, 2022, 05:05:00 PM »
Watching the movie STEP BROTHERS. It gets funnier every time I watch it.  :rollin

Wait...did we just become best friends?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1285 on: July 24, 2022, 06:09:09 PM »

Wait...did we just become best friends?

Yup!!  :rollin :rollin :rollin
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 02:18:41 PM by Glasser »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1286 on: July 26, 2022, 02:08:31 PM »
That movie is amazing, man...maybe it's time for my yearly watch again.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1287 on: July 26, 2022, 02:20:25 PM »

The sleepwalking scenes are epic!!!! When he put his balls on the drum set, Boats n Hoes video :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1288 on: July 26, 2022, 02:41:03 PM »

The sleepwalking scenes are epic!!!! When he put his balls on the drum set, Boats n Hoes video :lol

"The Nina, The Pinta, The Santa Maria!"

:lol :rollin

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1289 on: July 26, 2022, 07:23:16 PM »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1290 on: August 17, 2022, 01:01:27 PM »
Back in June or early July, I submitted an essay in response to a contest being held by one of my insurance companies that I place business with.  They insure a lot of trucking accounts and were looking for stories about heroes in trucking.  My candidate was my brother in law.

Last week, I was notified that my essay was one of 8 winners nationwide - I won a $1,000 prize and I think there is a donation to a pro-trucking charity in my brother in law's name.  I'll be splitting the prize money with my brother in law.

This was my entry:

Brian is the kind of person that puts everyone else first and would truly give the shirt off of his back if it would help another person.  He drives a truck for Cardinal Health, delivering medical supplies to hospitals throughout Illinois and Wisconsin.  He has driven through many winter and summer storms, including a blizzard in 2011 that kept him from making it home to his family after his shift when streets became impassable with over two feet of snow and blowing drifts that were even higher.  He slept on a stranger’s couch that night, because his hospitals needed their supplies more than he needed to be at home safe in his bed.  There have been countless times where his shift ends hours later than he expected because of difficult weather conditions and I have never heard him complain – it is just part of the job and he’ll go with less sleep that day.  His routes have taken him on interstate highways with high winds and icy conditions or through a celebratory city of Chicago on the night that the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup and the streets were flowing with people, causing delays and re-routing due to the crowds.

Brian has navigated the covid pandemic with more grace than I have, dealing with driver shortages, changes in routes, mitigation measures enacted by both his employer and the hospitals that he delivers to and continuing to ensure that his deliveries are on time so that the hospitals have the PPE that they desperately needed to continue to protect our front-line medical personnel.  He will regularly work through the night with little sleep, drop his children off at school, nap for a few hours and then go off to football or hockey practice where he coaches his children.  Weekends are full of coaching sporting events and family time before he heads off to work on Sunday night.

I can’t think of a more deserving candidate for Acuity’s Trucker Appreciation contest.  Brian remains one of my closest role-models as a parent, employee and family member.  He’s shown me how to be a better father to my children and to try and roll with the punches that life throws at you.  I have never known a more selfless individual, committed to his family and career.  Thank you Brian, and thank you to all of our nation’s truckers for your hard work, dedication and sacrifices!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1291 on: August 17, 2022, 01:22:37 PM »
That's awesome, Grap!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: August 17, 2022, 01:24:14 PM »
Yeah, that's really cool!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1293 on: August 17, 2022, 06:57:06 PM »
Honestly, sitting with my wife relaxing with a cup of tea and watching baseball with her. I'm a lucky dude to have an amazing wife for 28 years. Embracing the love.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: August 17, 2022, 07:01:20 PM »
That's the shiznit. 28 years for the Queen and I in October.