Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 97350 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #1085 on: May 27, 2022, 07:00:44 PM »
Feet on the ground in Boston. Home tonight!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1086 on: May 27, 2022, 07:03:01 PM »
I’m a brand new grandpa today! My son and his wife had a beautiful little girl this morning at 5am Pacific/8am Eastern!

Congrats, dude!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1087 on: May 27, 2022, 07:06:23 PM »
Applied for three jobs.

Got three interviews.

Had three interviews.

Got invites to three second/final round interviews.

One done. Two to go. Hoping something comes of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1088 on: May 27, 2022, 07:09:14 PM »
On a roll Adami.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1089 on: May 28, 2022, 04:34:05 AM »
Applied for three jobs.

Got three interviews.

Had three interviews.

Like a boss.  Didn't you just switch jobs back in December though?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1090 on: May 28, 2022, 06:44:51 AM »
Congrats Adami!

I got a raise yesterday after being at my new job for 2 months, had vacation time approved for every day until I go back on June 6th despite being short a couple of PTO hours that I'll make up when I get back. And I get to choose my new hours next month since I'm the only one taking a second shift position; I'll probably do 11 to 7 or 12 to 8, so half my day I'll be the only person in the entire office. Psyched as hell, I love this gig. Job rules.

Online Adami

« Reply #1091 on: May 28, 2022, 06:49:03 AM »
Applied for three jobs.

Got three interviews.

Had three interviews.

Yup. Very bad fit. I don’t think I’ve been this depressed in a long time. So I’m trying to get back to a university setting (I’m at a hospital now).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: May 28, 2022, 06:56:44 AM »
Applied for three jobs.

Got three interviews.

Had three interviews.

Yup. Very bad fit. I don’t think I’ve been this depressed in a long time. So I’m trying to get back to a university setting (I’m at a hospital now).

Damn... sorry to hear that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1093 on: May 28, 2022, 07:39:07 AM »
Applied for three jobs.

Got three interviews.

Had three interviews.

I'm sorry to hear that; I hope things look up for you soon.   :heart

Online Adami

« Reply #1094 on: May 28, 2022, 07:39:20 AM »
Applied for three jobs.

Got three interviews.

Had three interviews.

Damn... sorry to hear that.

I appreciate that. I've been reluctant to say anything cause there seems to be this societal view (and on this forum) that jobs are supposed to suck, and if we're not happy at a job, we have to suck it up and suffer like a man or something. Not something I understand, but it's kept me quiet on the issue. Hopefully it won't be an issue for long.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1095 on: May 28, 2022, 11:22:23 AM »
Work on both Thursday and Friday, outside of horrible ass drivers, have actually been pretty great. Roughly the same route 2 days in a row, and the customers mostly aren't self entitled assholes. On the contrary, I think I encountered as many, if not more customers offering me water / Gatorade as well as candy / drink stashes on porches in 2 days as was encountering in a week of peak season work (Christmas season).

Hell, Thursday a woman met me at her gates driveway, I handed her package off to her, and she handed me a little Ziploc baggy with chocolate and $3 (a single, and a 2 dollar bill), and went on about how appreciative she is of delivery folk.

I have a little cooler that I stash drinks and snacks in that is now pretty well stocked. I may have to start giving some of the more unhealthy stuff away. I've dropped below the 230lb mark (227lbs! My startkng weight in Sept was 286lbs!) And I don't wanna be grazing on junk all day. Because I know if it's there... I will.

But it's nice to feel appreciated. I personally, unless I get shit service (like Amazon drivers who deliver to me house... Ironically), try to show that appreciation to people, especially those in the service industry.

I appreciate that. I've been reluctant to say anything cause there seems to be this societal view (and on this forum) that jobs are supposed to suck, and if we're not happy at a job, we have to suck it up and suffer like a man or something. Not something I understand, but it's kept me quiet on the issue. Hopefully it won't be an issue for long.

Fuck that. If a job sucks and you have the ability to and want to hunt for something that makes you happy / feel fulfilled, do it! I'm currently happier in my job than I have been in the last few jobs I've had (including managment in security). Working a job one resents isn't good for mental health.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1096 on: May 28, 2022, 11:30:24 AM »

I appreciate that. I've been reluctant to say anything cause there seems to be this societal view (and on this forum) that jobs are supposed to suck, and if we're not happy at a job, we have to suck it up and suffer like a man or something.

Huh. I've never gotten that impression around here. Ever, I think.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #1097 on: May 28, 2022, 11:40:43 AM »

I appreciate that. I've been reluctant to say anything cause there seems to be this societal view (and on this forum) that jobs are supposed to suck, and if we're not happy at a job, we have to suck it up and suffer like a man or something.

I don’t think we’ve said it to each other as much as in general about people.

Or maybe I’ve misread a lot. All possible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1098 on: May 28, 2022, 11:42:30 AM »

I don’t think we’ve said it to each other as much as in general about people.

I have not picked up on this at all. Not trying to be argumentative. I have just never gotten this impression.

Online Adami

« Reply #1099 on: May 28, 2022, 11:47:28 AM »
Guess it’s just me. No worries.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: May 29, 2022, 05:39:41 PM »
I guess technically this made me happy Friday evening, but officially being on vacation for the week coming up  :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1101 on: May 29, 2022, 07:35:12 PM »
Not today, but it's made me happy all week.  Last Monday was my daughter's final concert with her high school Wind Symphony.  She was recognized with the other graduating seniors, and I was recognized and received a plaque for my two years as president of the band booster.  Then, on Thursday, she was invited to senior awards night and received the departmental medallion for excellence in instrumental music.  Essentially, that means that, along with the guy who got the medallion for jazz, she was recognized as THE top instrumental musician in the school.  Graduation coming on June 10.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1102 on: May 29, 2022, 07:46:26 PM »
That's awesome Paul! Congrats.
Our high school music program is so lame!

I think that dude next to her in the top picture is checking out her legs. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1103 on: May 29, 2022, 07:52:33 PM »
That is so awesome. I would chose up with tears for sure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1104 on: May 29, 2022, 07:53:33 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: May 29, 2022, 08:10:32 PM »
Love it! My 11 year old is growing in her confidence, but still shy when it comes to such things as speaking in front of her class or to strangers. She signed up for flute this year and had some anxiety going in to her first recital, which we assured her was totally natural. Only some of the kids did a solo, and she was the only one who did a song not from the class workbook, and when it was over said she couldn't wait to get on stage and perform again. I was so proud.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1106 on: May 29, 2022, 10:33:03 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Love it! My 11 year old is growing in her confidence, but still shy when it comes to such things as speaking in front of her class or to strangers. She signed up for flute this year and had some anxiety going in to her first recital, which we assured her was totally natural. Only some of the kids did a solo, and she was the only one who did a song not from the class workbook, and when it was over said she couldn't wait to get on stage and perform again. I was so proud.

That's awesome!  Music has a way of bringing kids out of shells.  That was never my kid's problem, and she's always loved performing.  If your daughter has a really good band director and/or private instructor, she'll continue to improve, and the confidence will go with it.  One of the coolest things happened after one of the marching band shows last year.  She had a flute solo during the show, and the judges make their voice recordings available to the band directors to use in improving their shows.  One of the judges was super enthused about my daughter's solo, referring to her as "very professional sounding" and asking (at least a little tongue in cheek), "do you have a CD I can buy?"

That's awesome Paul! Congrats.
Our high school music program is so lame!

I think that dude next to her in the top picture is checking out her legs. :lol

Bite thy tongue, sir!  Coincidentally, he got the medallion as the top jazz player.  He and my daughter have known each other since 6th grade, so it's kinda cool that they both got it.

That is so awesome. I would chose up with tears for sure.

Absolutely!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: May 30, 2022, 05:17:55 AM »
@ Paul

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1108 on: May 31, 2022, 11:51:50 AM »
Went into this work week having heard talks about overtime on Saturday being likely - found out it won't happen and that was like a big stone off my chest.

Overtime in general is something I just strongly dislike. Even though there's compensation for it, working 45 hours a week (add almost another 10 hours with the transport to and from work) just feels more than enough and for me at least I value time more than the extra money. I actually have a few coworkers who kinda drag their feet and find every loophole to spend time on their phone instead of working yet they are quick to sign up for overtime because "easy money", for me it's almost the opposite where I'd rather work hard and be efficient at work but when I clock out - I clock out. I think also just the mental burden of starting a week thinking "6 days in a row of work" would really crush me. Especially since week days usually just feel like you work, you get home, eat dinner, maybe get 2 hours for yourself (but you are usually drained at this point) and then you sleep and go again.

I do see the appeal in overtime if you are saving towards something though. Like maybe 1-2 months you put in overtime to cover something expensive but I consider that to be different.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1109 on: May 31, 2022, 05:27:01 PM »
You know the feeling you had when you were a junior in high school and you started getting "senior-itis" and began not giving a shit?

I'm having this about my job.  I get this email today about my productivity numbers being slightly lower than I reported...for almost the last year I've had to submit productivity based on my own records and now we have a computer keeping track.  Anyway, I get the email that my April numbers were off by 4 (small) and instead of being concerned like I normally would, I actually laughed and thought, "Who fucking cares?"

I love not giving a shit.  Part of me hopes I get fired.  LoL.  I won't - because I generate more money on our team than anyone else.  But I love being at that point in my life where it just wouldn't matter if I got fired.  It gives me a lovely feeling of freedom.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: May 31, 2022, 05:48:56 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1111 on: May 31, 2022, 06:19:08 PM »
You know the feeling you had when you were a junior in high school and you started getting "senior-itis" and began not giving a shit?

I'm having this about my job.  I get this email today about my productivity numbers being slightly lower than I reported...for almost the last year I've had to submit productivity based on my own records and now we have a computer keeping track.  Anyway, I get the email that my April numbers were off by 4 (small) and instead of being concerned like I normally would, I actually laughed and thought, "Who fucking cares?"

I love not giving a shit.  Part of me hopes I get fired.  LoL.  I won't - because I generate more money on our team than anyone else.  But I love being at that point in my life where it just wouldn't matter if I got fired.  It gives me a lovely feeling of freedom.

Can I ask what you do? I mean besides not giving a shit? :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1112 on: May 31, 2022, 06:30:59 PM »

Social work.  Love helping people.  Hate bureaucracy.  Unfortunately one comes with the other.  I figure I have 2 more years in me.  I'd quit now but don't want to pay out of pocket for healthcare.  If we had universal healthcare in this country, I'd have retired 5 years ago.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1113 on: May 31, 2022, 06:34:26 PM »
Gotcha :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1114 on: May 31, 2022, 06:37:24 PM »

Welcome to my world. 

I'm hoping that I would get fired, but it's not gonna happen.  Keep not giving a fuck Harmony.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: May 31, 2022, 06:38:46 PM »
Went into this work week having heard talks about overtime on Saturday being likely - found out it won't happen and that was like a big stone off my chest.

Overtime in general is something I just strongly dislike. Even though there's compensation for it, working 45 hours a week (add almost another 10 hours with the transport to and from work) just feels more than enough and for me at least I value time more than the extra money. I actually have a few coworkers who kinda drag their feet and find every loophole to spend time on their phone instead of working yet they are quick to sign up for overtime because "easy money", for me it's almost the opposite where I'd rather work hard and be efficient at work but when I clock out - I clock out. I think also just the mental burden of starting a week thinking "6 days in a row of work" would really crush me. Especially since week days usually just feel like you work, you get home, eat dinner, maybe get 2 hours for yourself (but you are usually drained at this point) and then you sleep and go again.

I do see the appeal in overtime if you are saving towards something though. Like maybe 1-2 months you put in overtime to cover something expensive but I consider that to be different.

You would love my 80 hour weeks worked across 7 days that I do in busy periods.  Sometimes those weeks are consecutive too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1116 on: May 31, 2022, 06:45:15 PM »
I actually have a few coworkers who kinda drag their feet and find every loophole to spend time on their phone instead of working yet they are quick to sign up for overtime because "easy money",

These people are fucking assholes.

I think also just the mental burden of starting a week thinking "6 days in a row of work" would really crush me. Especially since week days usually just feel like you work, you get home, eat dinner, maybe get 2 hours for yourself (but you are usually drained at this point) and then you sleep and go again.

Mental burden? Seriously?

6 days in a row? What are you, an 80 year old dude working in a coal mine? C'mon man!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: May 31, 2022, 06:49:07 PM »
I actually have a few coworkers who kinda drag their feet and find every loophole to spend time on their phone instead of working yet they are quick to sign up for overtime because "easy money",

These people are fucking assholes.

I think also just the mental burden of starting a week thinking "6 days in a row of work" would really crush me. Especially since week days usually just feel like you work, you get home, eat dinner, maybe get 2 hours for yourself (but you are usually drained at this point) and then you sleep and go again.

Mental burden? Seriously?

6 days in a row? What are you, an 80 year old dude working in a coal mine? C'mon man!

Lol, I was going to say something but I took a backhanded subtle approach with my response. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: May 31, 2022, 06:50:22 PM »

Social work.  Love helping people.  Hate bureaucracy.  Unfortunately one comes with the other.  I figure I have 2 more years in me.  I'd quit now but don't want to pay out of pocket for healthcare.  If we had universal healthcare in this country, I'd have retired 5 years ago.

It's fucking annoying when some benefits are a reason that handcuff you to the job, I have a few of those.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1119 on: May 31, 2022, 07:27:14 PM »

It's fucking annoying when some benefits are a reason that handcuff you to the job, I have a few of those.

It also hurts the economy.  Consider the number of people working in their 50s and 60s who are not eligible for Medicare.  Typically they are maxed out on their wages; top tier.  Many have very good retirement plans they continue to contribute to.

Now the flip side - the new college grads looking to get into the field and begin their own long term careers yet entry level jobs are highly competitive.  These young workers are skilled in ways the older crew are not.  I have a few young folks on my own team and they can run rings around me when it comes to technology and they are eager and highly motivated.

I am less motivated.  :P

Seems like getting folks like me out of the way would be a huge benefit to employers.  They can hire new folks at lower wages and less attractive benefits packages.

If my employer came to me today and offered to cover my healthcare benefits until I became eligible for Medicare, I'd gladly retire tomorrow.

Universal healthcare for all people tied in no way to employment would be even better.  But I live in a fucked up country so...