Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 97308 times)

Offline H2

Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #595 on: November 15, 2020, 03:45:08 PM »
 :lol

Any specific tips? (from anyone!)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #596 on: November 15, 2020, 03:57:05 PM »
If your job has a 401k, start on it, and max it out if possible. And don't overspend on a car.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #597 on: November 15, 2020, 04:15:28 PM »
My Covid test result is negative!!!! Phew!!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #598 on: November 15, 2020, 05:27:55 PM »

:fistpump:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #599 on: November 15, 2020, 06:18:34 PM »
jingle.boy made me happy today, and for once it wasn't sexual :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #600 on: November 15, 2020, 06:22:38 PM »

YAY!!

Yay!!...?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #601 on: November 15, 2020, 06:23:30 PM »

It was for him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: November 15, 2020, 06:25:05 PM »

It was for him.

It is the season of giving!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline H2

« Reply #603 on: November 15, 2020, 10:09:45 PM »
If your job has a 401k, start on it, and max it out if possible. And don't overspend on a car.
Would you prioritize maxing it out over other large expenses - cars, houses, clothes, vacations?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #604 on: November 16, 2020, 05:43:09 AM »
Would you prioritize maxing it out over other large expenses - cars, houses, clothes, vacations?

Well, I think you do what you can. Find out what your company match is, and try to max that out.  But still need a monthly budget and to be able to fit that deduction in. It's an important thing, and the sooner you can start on that, the better. I would at least get the clock ticking, and maybe start small so it doesn't really set back your budget. But do get it started. But it's not a bank. You can't really get at it.

But large expenses, like houses and cars, I think you have to make wise choices. Unless you are making so much that it doesn't matter..
Don't overextend yourself on a mortgage or car payment.

There's a radio commercial that plays in my area from a car dealer.."If you bring home $350/week, you're approved for a 30k loan!" WUT??

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: November 16, 2020, 05:53:35 AM »

Well, I think you do what you can. Find out what your company match is, and try to max that out.  But still need a monthly budget and to be able to fit that deduction in. It's an important thing, and the sooner you can start on that, the better. I would at least get the clock ticking, and maybe start small so it doesn't really set back your budget. But do get it started. But it's not a bank. You can't really get at it.

But large expenses, like houses and cars, I think you have to make wise choices. Unless you are making so much that it doesn't matter..
Don't overextend yourself on a mortgage or car payment.

There's a radio commercial that plays in my area from a car dealer.."If you bring home $350/week, you're approved for a 30k loan!" WUT??

Like TAC says, it depends on how much you make. No matter what method you settle on, be sure to reserve some for saving (10% take home is a good number for most). While you're young, frugal is good but I'd also encourage you to put some aside to enjoy. My mother always called it her "mad money." Saving up for a weekend of hookers and blow is character building.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #606 on: November 16, 2020, 07:54:54 AM »
TAC said something key: AT LEAST max out your company matching; that is free money.  There's no vacation, car, or clothes that is worth more than "free money".     After that it's personal preference/priorities.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: November 18, 2020, 03:12:50 PM »
I spent $20 on soap. That Outlaw Soap brand. "Fire In The Hole." It actually smells awesome. Not sure I'd buy it regularly but damn do I like it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #608 on: November 18, 2020, 04:24:49 PM »
I got an offer for a software engineering internship. This is my first big job outside of academia!

Congrats. Welcome to making an actual income!
I know! Tell me how to manage it. I've been used to living like a frugal student for the past 10 years.

Not like this...

I spent $20 on soap.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #609 on: November 18, 2020, 04:36:10 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: November 18, 2020, 10:15:47 PM »
 :rollin

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: November 19, 2020, 12:13:34 AM »

Any specific tips? (from anyone!)

Only spend the money on living expenses and things you NEED for the majority.  Work out exactly the difference between your needs and wants first off.

I focus on breaking down my income into 3 parts mainly.  Work out the percentage you NEED each week for things like mortgage/living arrangements, bills, groceries etc.  Then I put away another set percentage per week into savings and stick solid to that.  After that, the rest can be for leisure (cd's, meals out, hobbies etc.)

All through my twenties I spent as little as possible, besides cd's.  That was one thing I really splurged on all the time.  I don't drink, smoke, go out much so that was my pleasure for years.  I restrain more now most of the time, but I wished I restrained more through my twenties.  I would have a lot more money.  My thing, if I held back one week on my leisure spending, I wouldn't bank it up, the extra would go into savings.  Maybe if I were buying something bigger I'd restrain for a few weeks to get it, but I wasn't buying things very often.  I just bought a new computer a month ago after 15 years and still purchased the cheapest PC they had.  You eventually become frugal over time and it becomes a lifestyle.

The car thing Tim said is debatable.  I spend 30K on a car and don't regret it.  But I won't be buying another one until this one is run into the ground. Saying that, my income allowed it and I didn't get that car until I was 30, so I was well prepared.

And yes, don't spend $20, on soap.  WTF?!  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: November 19, 2020, 12:14:47 AM »
I spent $20 on soap. That Outlaw Soap brand. "Fire In The Hole." It actually smells awesome. Not sure I'd buy it regularly but damn do I like it.

I don't know if I would want to spend $20 on a soap called 'fire in the hole.'  :lol  Your ass better be clean all the time Michael.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: November 19, 2020, 04:15:08 AM »
It was a one time purchase!  :lol :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: November 19, 2020, 04:24:38 AM »

That doesn't make it right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: November 19, 2020, 04:30:22 AM »
Sriracha.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: November 19, 2020, 05:16:06 AM »

That doesn't make it right.

:lol It smells better than any soap I've bought before :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #617 on: November 19, 2020, 07:11:44 AM »

The car thing Tim said is debatable.  I spend 30K on a car and don't regret it.  But I won't be buying another one until this one is run into the ground. Saying that, my income allowed it and I didn't get that car until I was 30, so I was well prepared.

Funny thing; my friend from college was cleaning out some stuff, and he found a budget spreadsheet from back when he first got out of school.   It was so simple:  "rent, insurance, car payment, food, drinking".  No cell phones, no cable, no Spotify, no gym memberships...  plain and to the point (and yes, he did have a line item for his weekly drinking!  We all did; Friday and/or Saturday, with sports and softball and what not, would be a $50 night and we had to budget for that!)

As for cars, the problem most get into is that it's not JUST the "$30k" or the monthly payment. I've learned from long experience, a lot of time under the hood, and a number of tow jobs that it's a total package experience.  FOR ME, knowing what I know now, and with what I'm willing to do as a driver/owner, it makes the most sense to buy an off-lease BMW - that is to say, three to six years old (or similar) BMW.  I will pay slightly more, but I also know that if I take care of it, I will be able to drive that car to dust if shit happens.  I don't take the car to the dealer, I have "a guy", and it helps that my stepson used to work as a tech for a BMW dealer (though I arrived at this theory before that).  But while I risk an occassional "big ticket" repair, I dodge the bullet on a lot of the little nickel and dime shit that kills a lot of car owners.   I just brought my 2006 X3 with 148k miles in to a local BMW specialty performance shop for a once-over (and to diagnose a very troublesome coolant leak) and the guy said we can fix the coolant leak for about $300, and the rest... you've got a couple minor leaks and stuff, but that car is in great mechanical condition.   Just keep on doing what you're doing.    I own it outright and even though I have two other nicer, newer cars, I will keep that as a failsafe for as long as I can. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: November 19, 2020, 01:14:01 PM »
Fair points Bill.  I think of the car payment as a separate one off cost, but fuel, insurance, rego and servicing for me then gets lumped with the necessities pile in terms of budgeting.

Luckily, I've had no issues with my new car.  I do like the idea of finding a 'guy' that will take care of you and your car.  I took my car for general servicing, but to not void the warranty I was taking it for multiple services.  They were capped pricing but once I got to a mileage on the car and they kept wanting me to come back, I knew I was going to be pissing money away.  Found a local guy and he laughed and said exactly that.  The get you in for bullshit servicing and have you thinking it's worthwhile because it's capped servicing.  Breaking away from the dealer and going local has saved me so much money.  So I understand your viewpoint.  I'd still buy new personally when I get another one, but just have to be smart on what the dealers are doing to you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: November 19, 2020, 03:49:22 PM »
Best thing I ever did once I started making 'real' money, and had a relationship that led to wife/kids?  I read The Wealthy Barber by David Chilton.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: November 19, 2020, 04:49:27 PM »
Best thing I ever did once I started making 'real' money, and had a relationship that led to wife/kids?  I read The Wealthy Barber by David Chilton.

Real money?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: November 19, 2020, 04:58:55 PM »
Next level money.  You can afford a house and children money.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: November 19, 2020, 05:09:08 PM »
Next level money.  You can afford a house and children money.

I thought so.  I guess I'm just thinking regardless of what you make, your budgeting is all relative.  Some people never get the opportunity or luck to make the big bucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: November 19, 2020, 05:13:42 PM »
Well, with Chad it wasn't lucky.  It's not inheritance money.  It's blood sweat and tears money.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: November 19, 2020, 05:19:40 PM »
Well, with Chad it wasn't lucky.  It's not inheritance money.  It's blood sweat and tears money.

I know that.  I wasn't insinuating that at all.  The luck was in regards my own situation.  I work hard for my bucks and definitely earned it over the years and am still underpaid, but how I got into my situation was luck, I just capitalized on it.

I would never insinuate someone earning what they do because of luck without knowing the background.  I know a bit of Chads background mate so  I wasn't referring to him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: November 19, 2020, 05:50:32 PM »
It's not like you, Chad and I pour cristal on our bitches.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: November 19, 2020, 06:06:51 PM »

:lol  I'm so cheap I had to google what the fuck that was.  And ah, yeah, definitely not lol.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: November 19, 2020, 06:07:32 PM »

:lol  I'm so cheap I had to google what the fuck that was. 

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: November 19, 2020, 06:11:47 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: November 19, 2020, 06:40:41 PM »

Real money?

To be a little clearer, when I first graduated University, I wasn't even making enough to live on my own (lived with my aunt and uncle).  A couple years into my career, when I was (with room-mates), and it was time to mature and start planning my life.  That's what I was trying to imply.

And I know you were being coy / tongue-in-cheek.