Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 97257 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #490 on: October 14, 2020, 05:11:25 PM »
I get something like 1% or 2% of all the money I spent using the card back as points I can spend in a certain grocery store chain. It's convenient as one of these stores is near my home.

Now we're talking.  Money back to use a grocery store is definitely my kind of thing.

This is exactly what we've been talking about though that you were shooting down the idea of though.  Evermind is more specific to groceries, but it doesn't need to be.  Can be whatever you spend money on, whether that's dining out, gas for your car, vacations or just buying CDs.  You get a % back (usually between 1 and 2) and you can use that cash back for whatever you want. 

I liked the idea because he was getting the bonus using his debit card, not a credit card.

Fair enough, although I don't really see too much of a difference between debit and credit in terms of paying for what you can afford.  If you can get the same rewards as credit and feel more comfortable because it's paid right away through your bank, that's your decision and cool.  It seems the land down under isn't quite as giving as NA in terms of getting the rewards it seems and if I didn't get the credit card rewards, I'd probably be more aligned with your thinking. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: October 14, 2020, 06:47:22 PM »
I get something like 1% or 2% of all the money I spent using the card back as points I can spend in a certain grocery store chain. It's convenient as one of these stores is near my home.

Now we're talking.  Money back to use a grocery store is definitely my kind of thing.

This is exactly what we've been talking about though that you were shooting down the idea of though.  Evermind is more specific to groceries, but it doesn't need to be.  Can be whatever you spend money on, whether that's dining out, gas for your car, vacations or just buying CDs.  You get a % back (usually between 1 and 2) and you can use that cash back for whatever you want. 

I liked the idea because he was getting the bonus using his debit card, not a credit card.

Fair enough, although I don't really see too much of a difference between debit and credit in terms of paying for what you can afford.  If you can get the same rewards as credit and feel more comfortable because it's paid right away through your bank, that's your decision and cool.  It seems the land down under isn't quite as giving as NA in terms of getting the rewards it seems and if I didn't get the credit card rewards, I'd probably be more aligned with your thinking.

Yeah I know what you mean mate, I know you guys are talking in relation to buying what you can afford and paying no interest and that makes sense.  I guess it's just a habit and what I'm use to and comfortable with.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #492 on: October 14, 2020, 06:52:29 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean mate, I know you guys are talking in relation to buying what you can afford and paying no interest and that makes sense. I guess it's just a habit and what I'm use to and comfortable with.

Habits that are good, and being comfortable within them. That's really the key, anyway.

No matter what you do, you're gonna run into someone else who thinks they've found an edge. You be you, and let them be them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: October 14, 2020, 08:00:24 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean mate, I know you guys are talking in relation to buying what you can afford and paying no interest and that makes sense. I guess it's just a habit and what I'm use to and comfortable with.

Habits that are good, and being comfortable within them. That's really the key, anyway.

No matter what you do, you're gonna run into someone else who thinks they've found an edge. You be you, and let them be them.

Edging it? yea I agree overall, unlike the carts though  :hat

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: October 14, 2020, 09:56:54 PM »

Exactly. Each to their own, as long as you are in full control of how you go about your business, it's all good.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #495 on: October 14, 2020, 10:15:42 PM »

Edging it? yea I agree overall, unlike the carts though  :hat

:clap:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: October 16, 2020, 08:16:06 AM »
Well, I had 18 vacation days left this year and they aren't letting us carry them over... so I just put them all on the calendar and made it official.  Essentially I'll have the week of Thanksgiving and the week after off, the week of Christmas off, and just about every friday off for the rest of the year.  Sadly, I've got like nothing to do with this time off.  Got to start figuring things out, but other than a road trip, travel seems like it's not going to happen given the state of the rona getting worse over here.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #497 on: October 16, 2020, 09:00:30 AM »
Well, I had 18 vacation days left this year and they aren't letting us carry them over... so I just put them all on the calendar and made it official.  Essentially I'll have the week of Thanksgiving and the week after off, the week of Christmas off, and just about every friday off for the rest of the year.  Sadly, I've got like nothing to do with this time off.  Got to start figuring things out, but other than a road trip, travel seems like it's not going to happen given the state of the rona getting worse over here.

I'm with you 100%.  Usually I could schedule it around shows, or a weekend overnight, but I don't have the wherewithall or opporunity to do either of those.   I may take the week of T-Giving off and literally paint bedrooms.  Whoop-de-fuckin'-doo.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: October 16, 2020, 09:08:28 AM »
Yea, I think I'll end up doing work in the house or something.  I've got a few things I should work on that I have let linger and I can't recall the last time I had such a significant staycation so I think I'll be bored enough to do some tedious work.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: October 16, 2020, 09:31:15 AM »
I wish I could be bored enough to do whatever I want.  I've got so many shows/movies/books/games/comics backlogged, I don't know when I'll ever have time to catch up.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: October 16, 2020, 09:31:30 AM »
Oh, music and concert DVDs too!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: October 16, 2020, 09:33:12 AM »

Ever get your Redemption video?

I wish I could be bored enough to do whatever I want.  I've got so many shows/movies/books/games/comics backlogged, I don't know when I'll ever have time to catch up.

Well, this is the single life of a 36 year old with no kids during a pandemic  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: October 16, 2020, 09:36:07 AM »

Ever get your Redemption video?

I did... and for all my bitching to Nick on Kickstarter, I haven't even played it yet!  :lolpalm:

Well, this is the single life of a 36 year old with no kids during a pandemic  :lol
[/quote]

Wanna swap?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: October 16, 2020, 09:37:25 AM »
Wanna swap?

Even if I wanted to, which I don't  :lol, your country is smart enough to not let me in

Offline pg1067

« Reply #504 on: October 16, 2020, 09:50:09 AM »
Well, I had 18 vacation days left this year and they aren't letting us carry them over... so I just put them all on the calendar and made it official.

Nice!  I was talking with my boss (great guy) a week or two ago and realized that the only days I'd had off since mid-March were Memorial Day and Labor Day.  I "worked from home" on March 13 (I think that was the day), but I've come into the office every day since then -- sometimes by myself.  I finally scheduled a bunch of time (mostly around TG and Christmas) yesterday!

Yea, I think I'll end up doing work in the house or something.  I've got a few things I should work on that I have let linger and I can't recall the last time I had such a significant staycation so I think I'll be bored enough to do some tedious work.

That's about what I'll be doing too (I'm not single, but my kids are old enough that they don't beg for my attention when I'm home).

On another note, my 18-year old starts his first job today!!  He had some issues his junior year of high school that made getting a job not really an option.  He home-schooled his senior year and was anticipating joining the Air Force, but then he changed his mind and wanted to get a job right about the time COVID kicked in.  And, the cool thing is that his 16-year old sister got hired by the same place (starting next week).  It's food service, but a job's a job.  My daughter was doing the math and concluded that she'd make $144 per week (12 hours x $12/hour), to which I responded, "before taxes."  She looked at me with the biggest "WHAT?!" face that made me laugh.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: October 16, 2020, 09:52:55 AM »
My daughter was doing the math and concluded that she'd make $144 per week (12 hours x $12/hour), to which I responded, "before taxes."  She looked at me with the biggest "WHAT?!" face that made me laugh.

HAHA!  I had the EXACT same conversation and reaction with my daughter!  And she was STILL like "WTF?" when she actually got her paycheck and saw the number.    It was both amusing and sad to see the "real world" slap her across the head in real time like that.   :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #506 on: October 16, 2020, 10:00:29 AM »
My daughter was doing the math and concluded that she'd make $144 per week (12 hours x $12/hour), to which I responded, "before taxes."  She looked at me with the biggest "WHAT?!" face that made me laugh.

HAHA!  I had the EXACT same conversation and reaction with my daughter!  And she was STILL like "WTF?" when she actually got her paycheck and saw the number.    It was both amusing and sad to see the "real world" slap her across the head in real time like that.   :)

The funny thing about it is that there's a first season Friends episode where Rachel gets her first paycheck and, while looking at the pay stub, says, "who's this FICA guy, and why's he taking all my money?!"  She and I have seen that episode many times, so I reminded her about it, and she gave me the "oh yeah!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: October 16, 2020, 10:04:24 AM »

Yea, I remember that experience as well with my first real pay check  :lol my father told me about this, but it wasn't until I experienced it that I was shocked and mad. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: October 16, 2020, 11:37:15 AM »

The funny thing about it is that there's a first season Friends episode where Rachel gets her first paycheck and, while looking at the pay stub, says, "who's this FICA guy, and why's he taking all my money?!"  She and I have seen that episode many times, so I reminded her about it, and she gave me the "oh yeah!"

Swear to God, as I was reading yours and Stads' posts just before this, I was thinking of that exact scene!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: October 16, 2020, 02:19:10 PM »
I never take holidays just because I never have anything I need to do lol. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: October 16, 2020, 02:31:33 PM »
I never take holidays just because I never have anything I need to do lol.

I'd take less if they just paid me out instead, but they won't let me roll them over or pay me out so if I don't use them, I lose them.  Also, my workplace doesn't require manager approval to take your time off, so they very much encourage you and want you to use it.  So it makes no sense not to take the time.  My previous job would pay me out at the end of the year and that was a nice incentive to not take time off so I could get essentially an extra pay check.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #511 on: October 16, 2020, 02:34:31 PM »
We can cash out 40 hours, and roll another 40 over. So if I have more than 80 hours left, I forfeit them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: October 16, 2020, 04:09:37 PM »
You guys can lose them?  Wow, I didn't think that could be legal.  I guess I work for a government body so you never lose them.  I get them cashed out but they discourage that. They would rather them be taken. I'd rather work and then if I ever leave, I can have a very long holiday while I decide what to do next.  I'm getting at a point though that I'll be forced to take leave soon.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: October 16, 2020, 05:10:49 PM »
You guys can lose them?  Wow, I didn't think that could be legal.  I guess I work for a government body so you never lose them.  I get them cashed out but they discourage that. They would rather them be taken. I'd rather work and then if I ever leave, I can have a very long holiday while I decide what to do next.  I'm getting at a point though that I'll be forced to take leave soon.

Depends on the state, in CA you get paid out by law (my coworker in LA isn't taking his vacation and will get a fat check for example).  Not so much here in NJ and I don't want to lose a benefit I get.  They used to allow us to rollover 5 days and I'd gladly do that.  However, if I leave the company, by law, I will get paid out for unused PTO.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: October 16, 2020, 05:51:35 PM »

Dude, American employment laws are brutal. Severance, time off, benefits .... all of it is barely above a 3rd world country. Maternity leave is only 90 days.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: October 16, 2020, 06:00:36 PM »

Dude, American employment laws are brutal. Severance, time off, benefits .... all of it is barely above a 3rd world country. Maternity leave is only 90 days.

Sure, the laws aren't the most favorable but some companies do go above and beyond.  I do believe my company does do more than the minimum the law requires.  The PTO thing is different, the culture in my company is to take time away from work so not only do they give us a lot of it, they really hammer down to make sure you use it.  Burn out is a real thing here.  But then again working yourself to death is also a thing in the US

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: October 18, 2020, 04:03:56 PM »

We are indeed one of the luckiest and most generous countries in more ways than that.  This year has shown how much free money is just thrown out there, it's unreal over here.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: October 19, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »

That's one way of putting it.  ;)   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #518 on: October 19, 2020, 01:59:56 PM »
WMMH: rediscovering the Ron & Fez radio show. I'm going to indulge and ramble a bit since it's been 10+ years since I've had contact with anyone else who I discussed the show with.

Ron & Fez was hilarious and were on the air from I believe 1998 until 2015. I found them in 2005 and would torrent their show every day and listen along with Opie & Anthony, so every single day I'd listen to anywhere from 5 to 8 hours of brutal, hilarious radio, almost like podcasting before podcasting. It's weird, because you jump in not knowing anything about the show or the people, but with every hour, every show, you learn more, you learn the lore, so to speak, and stories/inside jokes just get funnier and funnier. The dysfunction of R&F's staff, the constant ball busting, and the masterful interviews from Ron just kept me glued every day. I stopped listening after their final show in 2015 but recently came across this massive playlist on YouTube with hundreds of their funniest bits and arguments, and it's had me in stitches for the last week or so, crying laughing, stomach hurting from laughing so hard.

So yeah, that's what's made me happy. Reminds me of good times from 2005-2015 and I'm even hearing older bits from the years I wasn't an active listener. Stuff is so much funnier and more interesting than the brainless Bob & Tom type morning radio schlock imo. Only shows I ever got into. O&A has often gotten too caustic for me (but not all of it), but R&F is just comedy gold.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:06:56 PM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #519 on: October 19, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »
Signed new insurance policies for home and auto. I was getting taken to town for years on my home insurance. Did my research and signed with a local agent. We first emailed all week and then met on Friday for 2 hours to hammer everything out. Went back today to sign the papers. I now have a home policy that makes my old one look like garbage for less than a third of what I was paying. I had friends and relatives bagging me about what I was paying. Turns out they were right.

I now have a personal agent who is 5 minutes down the road, is super nice and super available. We're in a rural area so business people need to focus on the quality of their product. Plus, I'm now a farm bureau member! Not sure what I am going to do with that, but the company was founded by farmers and you have to be a member to carry their insurance. $20 a year dues, so nothing terrible.

Did a lot of financial wrangling in the last 2 weeks to make myself more comfortable and secure. It's a nice feeling.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: October 20, 2020, 07:19:25 AM »
Signed new insurance policies for home and auto. I was getting taken to town for years on my home insurance. Did my research and signed with a local agent. We first emailed all week and then met on Friday for 2 hours to hammer everything out. Went back today to sign the papers. I now have a home policy that makes my old one look like garbage for less than a third of what I was paying. I had friends and relatives bagging me about what I was paying. Turns out they were right.

I now have a personal agent who is 5 minutes down the road, is super nice and super available. We're in a rural area so business people need to focus on the quality of their product. Plus, I'm now a farm bureau member! Not sure what I am going to do with that, but the company was founded by farmers and you have to be a member to carry their insurance. $20 a year dues, so nothing terrible.

Did a lot of financial wrangling in the last 2 weeks to make myself more comfortable and secure. It's a nice feeling.
We did something similar when we bought our current house.   I have a woman that is literally on a first name basis, and a phone call away.    It really IS a comfortable feeling that at least one thing isn't spinning out of control!  :)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #521 on: October 20, 2020, 08:46:24 AM »
So this is somewhere between happy and bittersweet, but I think it counts.  I (finally) got notice of when my last day at my current job will be.  It will be just a couple of weeks past 15 years here, and 13 years on one program.  Now that I've been announcing my departure and introducing my replacement, I've been getting a flood of very kind emails from colleagues wishing me well, expressing sadness at my departure, thanking me for all of my work over the years, and for how I've helped them grow or see things differently. As I'm at the final stages of stepping away from the only "career" job I've ever held, what I'm seeing reflected back at me is the difference that I've made here, how I've positively impacted people, and that I will be leaving a Matt-shaped hole when I'm gone. It's more sweet than bitter, but at times I do think that someone is cutting onions in the room...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: October 20, 2020, 10:10:25 AM »
I don't think I've ever talked to an insurance agent, live or on the phone, ever.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: October 20, 2020, 10:12:43 AM »
So this is somewhere between happy and bittersweet, but I think it counts.  I (finally) got notice of when my last day at my current job will be.  It will be just a couple of weeks past 15 years here, and 13 years on one program.  Now that I've been announcing my departure and introducing my replacement, I've been getting a flood of very kind emails from colleagues wishing me well, expressing sadness at my departure, thanking me for all of my work over the years, and for how I've helped them grow or see things differently. As I'm at the final stages of stepping away from the only "career" job I've ever held, what I'm seeing reflected back at me is the difference that I've made here, how I've positively impacted people, and that I will be leaving a Matt-shaped hole when I'm gone. It's more sweet than bitter, but at times I do think that someone is cutting onions in the room...

That's a nice feeling, you put a lot of time in that job so its good to leave with such positivity

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: October 20, 2020, 11:09:11 AM »

That's a nice feeling, you put a lot of time in that job so its good to leave with such positivity

Definitely.  Good on yah Millahh.  I shed some tears when I changed jobs/roles (moved to a different team/business unit) after my first 5 years at my last company, because my final work trip, it dawned on me that this was quite possibly the last time I'd see and/or speak to most of those people.  So yeah, the finality of things alone are enough to get anyone misty.