Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 97309 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #385 on: September 21, 2020, 02:47:11 PM »
Now that you explained it that way, yeah... I'd have passed too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #386 on: September 21, 2020, 03:05:10 PM »
that concert concept doesn't sound interesting AT ALL IMO so I don't think I'd go see it either.  Just weird to not have the band in front of you and you are right, might as well just watch a live stream at home instead.  I do think a lot of people want to just get out so I don't blame the organizers for trying something, it just doesn't sound worth it to me.

I agree in both regards.  If I'd been more into the venue or had someone who wanted to go with me, I might have given it a shot.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #387 on: September 23, 2020, 12:56:04 PM »
Learning that, as of yesterday, I’m officially a licensed psychologist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #388 on: September 23, 2020, 01:20:24 PM »

Congrats Adami!  I know how much hard work you put into this!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #389 on: September 23, 2020, 01:27:22 PM »

I think you want the What Made You Happy Yesterday Thread. ;D

Congrats, man!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: September 23, 2020, 01:29:41 PM »

Congrats, you've definitely been working hard for this for a long time based on the comments you'd make here and there on here.  :yarr

As for what made me happy today, just had my one on one with my boss, looks like I'm pretty on the clear with getting all my work done before I start my vacation Friday.  So I can pretty much just coast through today and tomorrow.   :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #391 on: September 23, 2020, 01:30:55 PM »
Woot woot, congrats Dr. Doom Adami!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: September 23, 2020, 06:35:17 PM »
Glad to hear it Adami!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: September 23, 2020, 07:18:24 PM »

so you've been practicing illegally all this time??
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #394 on: September 23, 2020, 07:35:45 PM »

so you've been practicing illegally all this time??

Shhh not in public!

But no, internships and post-docs and everything before is under someone else's license. So now I can start a side private practice business as my own boss.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: September 30, 2020, 12:43:31 PM »
Friend of mine gave me a box of sheet music he found while cleaning out a relative's garage. Found lots of good stuff in here. Old books, yellowed and brittle pages, but the pages are still clean and readable. Found a nice selection of Brahms in there and Brahms is a composer I've been wanting to tackle for a long time since I learned a few pieces in college. Can't wait.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: September 30, 2020, 01:39:42 PM »
A bit late, but yesterday was one of the best days of 2020 and easily best day since the start of the pandemic.  Spent the entire day in Acadia National Park and though the weather was nasty, it was one fun and cool day that ended with a full Maine lobster meal  :yarr

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: September 30, 2020, 04:28:02 PM »
Was nearing my break at work tonight. The park shop was closed early so couldnt buy food.

Then I got paid £7 in tips - so ordered food for myself in the restaurant - and since I am team I get 20% off.

I ordered a half pounder burger with chips ( fries but bigger ) and a pint of coca cola.

it came to £8 so I just paid 99p on my card :)

I never buy food at work so it was a nice treat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #398 on: October 01, 2020, 06:57:45 AM »

Just saw this; really happy for you.  I have a list of potential patients if you want it.   ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: October 01, 2020, 07:05:23 AM »
So this is an odd submission; things haven't been terribly positive here in the last month or so, but I had a call with my daughter last night that left me in a really positive mindset, and even with an actual lingering smile.   She's tested positive for COVID, and is in isolation, but she's with a friend (they tested positive together) and I was struck by her attitude.  "Fun" is the wrong word - none of this is "fun" - but I'm not sure you could approach things with as good a mindset as she is in.  She has done her homework, she's prepared herself as best she can, and now it's a matter of enduring the 14 (now less than that) isolation.  Last night after their homework (she had a take home test in a subject that was basically my career back in the 90's) and dinner they started watching "old" - to them, "old" is Beetlejuice - movies and trying to make the best of their predicament.

She is largely asymptomatic - sniffles and a slight sense of loss of taste; more a dulling, but she's ALWAYS got sniffles - so that helps (her friend is as well), but I'm proud of her for her approach.   I'm petrified, of course, and all I can think about is five years down the road, but for her, I've got my fingers crossed that in that five years, this is a "do you remember when?" moment.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: October 01, 2020, 07:11:10 AM »
So this is an odd submission; things haven't been terribly positive here in the last month or so, but I had a call with my daughter last night that left me in a really positive mindset, and even with an actual lingering smile.   She's tested positive for COVID, and is in isolation, but she's with a friend (they tested positive together) and I was struck by her attitude.  "Fun" is the wrong word - none of this is "fun" - but I'm not sure you could approach things with as good a mindset as she is in.  She has done her homework, she's prepared herself as best she can, and now it's a matter of enduring the 14 (now less than that) isolation.  Last night after their homework (she had a take home test in a subject that was basically my career back in the 90's) and dinner they started watching "old" - to them, "old" is Beetlejuice - movies and trying to make the best of their predicament.

She is largely asymptomatic - sniffles and a slight sense of loss of taste; more a dulling, but she's ALWAYS got sniffles - so that helps (her friend is as well), but I'm proud of her for her approach.   I'm petrified, of course, and all I can think about is five years down the road, but for her, I've got my fingers crossed that in that five years, this is a "do you remember when?" moment.

Hoping for the best, man. Hopefully sniffles and a slight loss of taste is all there is to worry about.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: October 01, 2020, 08:57:43 AM »

Hoping for the best, man. Hopefully sniffles and a slight loss of taste is all there is to worry about.

+1.  Hope the outcome - short and long term - is as positive as the attitudes (yours and hers)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: October 01, 2020, 09:21:46 AM »

+1.  Hope the outcome - short and long term - is as positive as the attitudes (yours and hers)

Thank you both for the kind words; I'm really a mess inside - I'm not good with 'helplessness' - but it's my job in the fam to keep the stiff upper lip, so I do.  I'm really more talking about her; this is probably our first real "adult moment" and while I wish it didn't have to be quite so "adult", I AM happy that she's handling it as well as she seems to be (and thus this thread). 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #403 on: October 01, 2020, 11:30:36 AM »
The fact that she's largely unaffected by it is positive. I'm sure there are high chances that she'll brush it off and it won't have any long term effects on her  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: October 01, 2020, 01:56:53 PM »
The fact that she's largely unaffected by it is positive. I'm sure there are high chances that she'll brush it off and it won't have any long term effects on her  :tup

I so hope you're right!!!  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: October 01, 2020, 02:10:39 PM »
I touched on it before, but, man, fall really is the only season I feel 'great' in. Every other season, I just feel like crap and unmotivated to do much... then there's fall, and just stepping outside makes me feel awesome. The air even smells better in fall. The skies always seem to have more clouds, and tons of types and colors of clouds, and lots more wind, at least where I live. And the sun is rarely blinding, it's usually perfectly bright outside without having to squint. The temperatures of course are best, and it's by far the prettiest season. And it's the only season I actually show any form of interest in dating, which is a big indicator to me that I have some form of SAD.

So from the end of September up until about the first big snow, I (mostly) feel awesome and great about myself. What made me happy today was all the clouds and the brief rain.  :biggrin: I know I talk about this a lot but it's amazing how the change of seasons can affect someone's mood

Also also, it's hoodie season, and pullovers > zip hoodies.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: October 01, 2020, 02:34:54 PM »
I touched on it before, but, man, fall really is the only season I feel 'great' in. Every other season, I just feel like crap and unmotivated to do much... then there's fall, and just stepping outside makes me feel awesome. The air even smells better in fall. The skies always seem to have more clouds, and tons of types and colors of clouds, and lots more wind, at least where I live. And the sun is rarely blinding, it's usually perfectly bright outside without having to squint. The temperatures of course are best, and it's by far the prettiest season. And it's the only season I actually show any form of interest in dating, which is a big indicator to me that I have some form of SAD.

So from the end of September up until about the first big snow, I (mostly) feel awesome and great about myself. What made me happy today was all the clouds and the brief rain.  :biggrin: I know I talk about this a lot but it's amazing how the change of seasons can affect someone's mood

I'm with you, bro.  I went outside yesterday afternoon; it was sunny, slightly breezy, about 67 degrees, and we're already getting leaves on the ground, and I almost wanted to get a glass of wine, pull up a lawn chair and just sit there and enjoy the afternoon.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: October 01, 2020, 02:53:21 PM »

I'm with you, bro.  I went outside yesterday afternoon; it was sunny, slightly breezy, about 67 degrees, and we're already getting leaves on the ground, and I almost wanted to get a glass of wine, pull up a lawn chair and just sit there and enjoy the afternoon.

That's what I'm talking about. I'm strongly considering ditching my after-work walking to go get some special beers, a couple cigars, and chilling on the back porch.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: October 01, 2020, 03:08:57 PM »

That's what I'm talking about. I'm strongly considering ditching my after-work walking to go get some special beers, a couple cigars, and chilling on the back porch.

I'm absolutely loving my fall trip up north, I've had plenty of moments of just sitting and basking in the glory of this fall weather.  Today is perfect for example.

Offline emtee

« Reply #409 on: October 01, 2020, 03:28:50 PM »
Sincere congrats Adami. Way to go!

Stads, sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope things turn out ok.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: October 01, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »
Sincere congrats Adami. Way to go!

Stads, sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope things turn out ok.

Thank you, sir.  All we can do is play the waiting game for the next week and a half or so.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #411 on: October 01, 2020, 07:00:15 PM »
Oh man, Bill. Just catching up. That is rough. I think you mentioned her two roommates had it? Seemed inevitable at that point.

Thoughts and prayers, Brother. Hopefully it passes with no real consequence. The real hope is that she'll retain some level of immunity.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: October 02, 2020, 08:10:39 AM »
Thank you, man.   My fingers are white from being crossed. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #413 on: October 08, 2020, 01:48:13 PM »
I bought my grandparents old vehicle 2.5 years ago for $2000. Sold it today with 25,000 more miles on it for $2800.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: October 08, 2020, 02:37:31 PM »
I bought my grandparents old vehicle 2.5 years ago for $2000. Sold it today with 25,000 more miles on it for $2800.

You better-dealed your grandparents???  :)

(I'm kidding.   Very much.)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: October 08, 2020, 02:40:03 PM »
My kid is back in the general population.   I feel like the weight of the world is off my shoulders, but not going to lie:  with all the talk of long term effects, it feels slightly bittersweet.   

She is going to donate some of her blood though, to help with the testing of and for antibodies.   With all this do-goodery, I might have to check her Ancestry DNA again.  :) :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: October 08, 2020, 02:50:01 PM »
Yay!! That's great to hear. Hope she stays healthy and un-sick.

Online Adami

« Reply #417 on: October 08, 2020, 03:06:11 PM »
My kid is back in the general population.   I feel like the weight of the world is off my shoulders, but not going to lie:  with all the talk of long term effects, it feels slightly bittersweet.   

She is going to donate some of her blood though, to help with the testing of and for antibodies.   With all this do-goodery, I might have to check her Ancestry DNA again.  :) :)

You got a good one there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #418 on: October 08, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »
I touched on it before, but, man, fall really is the only season I feel 'great' in. Every other season, I just feel like crap and unmotivated to do much... then there's fall, and just stepping outside makes me feel awesome.

It all depends on where you are.  I guess Southern California winter is like fall in most other places.  Right now, we're in the mid-70s, but it's supposed to go up into the 80s (maybe high 80s) next week.  I still remember going to game 1 of the World Series in 2017.  It was October 24, and the temperature at first pitch (5:11 p.m.) was 103 fucking degrees.  Fortunately, the Dodgers won.  "Fall" for us really won't start until November.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: October 08, 2020, 03:25:48 PM »
I touched on it before, but, man, fall really is the only season I feel 'great' in. Every other season, I just feel like crap and unmotivated to do much... then there's fall, and just stepping outside makes me feel awesome.

It all depends on where you are.  I guess Southern California winter is like fall in most other places.  Right now, we're in the mid-70s, but it's supposed to go up into the 80s (maybe high 80s) next week.  I still remember going to game 1 of the World Series in 2017.  It was October 24, and the temperature at first pitch (5:11 p.m.) was 103 fucking degrees.  Fortunately, the Dodgers won.  "Fall" for us really won't start until November.

I lived in Burbank for about a year, and it was the ONE THING I really missed about Connecticut.   It felt weird without that change, the leaves and the cool, and even the wind (it tends to blow out of a different direction in the winter).  There, it was basically only the short pants on Santa - itself a crime against nature - that gave things away.