Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 96777 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #945 on: November 08, 2021, 12:24:31 PM »
@Kotowboy, I used to work in the restaurant business, and believe me, I know how shitty that can be.  I was once suspended for a week because I had a table complain that I told them one of the dishes they asked about wasn't my favorite.  Apparently, that ruined their anniversary dinner.  And because my boss, who already had it in for me because I was "too professional and efficient" at waiting tables, decided that was suspension worthy.  Well, I used that week off to go get another job and when I came back, I quit.  Then I took his money in fantasy football about 6 weeks later.  Very satisfying to walk in and have them hand me my money!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #946 on: November 08, 2021, 12:44:49 PM »
As a side note, if you haven't started your Christmas shopping yet, do it NOW.  And, be kind to people in retail and in shipping.  Fed Ex and UPS are expecting ridiculously high shipping volumes this year, and understand that the companies that you order from are going to be at the mercy of the shipping companies to get things to you on time.

In anticipation of this, the jingle.family is pretty much done - I know I am.

You people are freaks (I say this with both love and the knowledge that my wife may as well be in the Jingle clan on this one point). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: November 08, 2021, 12:51:15 PM »
Speaking of jobs, it always makes me happy when I talk to my favorite customers and I help them through their decision process.    Since October, I've been consciously working on being more kind.  Not nice, but kind.  This holiday season is going to be extra crazy due to the supply chain issues, and so helping people understand that in a calm, factual, understanding manor is going to be huge. 

As a side note, if you haven't started your Christmas shopping yet, do it NOW.  And, be kind to people in retail and in shipping.  Fed Ex and UPS are expecting ridiculously high shipping volumes this year, and understand that the companies that you order from are going to be at the mercy of the shipping companies to get things to you on time.

As someone who has been through that process with you, I don't know if i was "before" or "after", but I can't speak highly enough of your customer service, and I've recommended you to two of my friends.   Knowledgable, friendly, reasonable, realistic...  the only complaint I have is I still suck!  :) :) :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: November 08, 2021, 01:09:27 PM »
@Kotowboy, I used to work in the restaurant business, and believe me, I know how shitty that can be.  I was once suspended for a week because I had a table complain that I told them one of the dishes they asked about wasn't my favorite.  Apparently, that ruined their anniversary dinner.  And because my boss, who already had it in for me because I was "too professional and efficient" at waiting tables, decided that was suspension worthy.  Well, I used that week off to go get another job and when I came back, I quit.  Then I took his money in fantasy football about 6 weeks later.  Very satisfying to walk in and have them hand me my money!

One of the most satisfying things I did was walk out of a job during my shift - and not go back.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #949 on: November 08, 2021, 02:36:34 PM »
Speaking of jobs, it always makes me happy when I talk to my favorite customers and I help them through their decision process.    Since October, I've been consciously working on being more kind.  Not nice, but kind.  This holiday season is going to be extra crazy due to the supply chain issues, and so helping people understand that in a calm, factual, understanding manor is going to be huge. 

As someone who has been through that process with you, I don't know if i was "before" or "after", but I can't speak highly enough of your customer service, and I've recommended you to two of my friends.   Knowledgable, friendly, reasonable, realistic...  the only complaint I have is I still suck!  :) :) :)

Aw shucks, Stads. :tup
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #950 on: November 08, 2021, 06:54:22 PM »
Personally, I know life is not always peachy.  The ups comes with the downs and there's no doubt in my mind about that.  But choosing to focus on the ups more than the downs is not a bad thing IMO.  I feel like negativity attracts negativity, but maybe the opposite is true too?  And where would I rather my headspace be?  I think even some data is out there that positive people are more happy in life.  I know you can't always decide your mental state, but in instances where you can, I always try to be more positive and accept the fact it's not going to be the reality all of the time. My point being, I'd rather be surrounded by toxic positivity than toxic negativity.

I think there is a difference between "positive people" and the people I am talking about.  It's like telling someone who's depressed to "just think happy thoughts" or "just snap out of it!"  It's dismissive and avoidant.

Toxic people on either side - positive or negative - are best avoided, IMO.  And I really don't see much difference between the two.  Hence, "toxic."

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #951 on: November 09, 2021, 05:48:43 AM »

In anticipation of this, the jingle.family is pretty much done - I know I am.

You people are freaks (I say this with both love and the knowledge that my wife may as well be in the Jingle clan on this one point).

Well, we shat the bed when it came to the jingle.kids' birthday gifts.  We ordered with (what we thought was) plenty of time for delivery, but low and behold ... not so much.  We had to scramble last minute to find something to give them each - and ended up squirelling away the gifts that arrived late for Christmas.

mrs.jingle wasn't going to have a repeat of that for xmas, and Hef knows I couldn't drop the ball like that on her gifts!

:tup :tup @ Harmony's last post as well.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #952 on: November 14, 2021, 09:59:08 AM »
So super cute bubbly girl working dispatch at work last night complimented me on the weight I've lost since starting the job in Sept.  20lbs. She said she's noticed and I look really good.

She's already a joy to work with (most of the dispatchers are), but that really made my night last night and I'm still riding that high :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: November 14, 2021, 11:29:17 AM »
I'm not sure which is more awesome... 20lbs weight loss in 2ish months, or the cutie giving you the compliment.

Either way ....   :tup :tup
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: November 14, 2021, 02:08:05 PM »
I'm not sure which is more awesome... 20lbs weight loss in 2ish months, or the cutie giving you the compliment.

Right????
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #955 on: November 14, 2021, 05:26:27 PM »
Nice!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #956 on: November 14, 2021, 05:45:12 PM »
So super cute bubbly girl working dispatch at work last night complimented me on the weight I've lost since starting the job in Sept.  20lbs. She said she's noticed and I look really good.

She's already a joy to work with (most of the dispatchers are), but that really made my night last night and I'm still riding that high :JayOctavarium:

Nice work! And……maybe love in the air?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #957 on: November 15, 2021, 06:10:00 AM »

It's everywhere, look around!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: November 15, 2021, 08:32:46 AM »

I'd love to lose 20lbs in two months.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: November 15, 2021, 09:35:38 AM »

I'd love to lose 20lbs in two months.

Me too :lol

What made me happy was I had $17 left over in my bookie account from last years super bowl betting and being bored I ended up betting on football yesterday. Turned that $17 to $108!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #960 on: November 15, 2021, 11:04:57 AM »
Signed an offer letter for a new job  :metal

Higher title and 60% salary bump to do less than what I'm doing now (Though for a bigger facility)  :coolio
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: November 15, 2021, 11:23:52 AM »

Higher title and 60% salary bump to do less than what I'm doing now (Though for a bigger facility)  :coolio

Fuck yeah!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #962 on: November 15, 2021, 01:49:58 PM »

Fuck yeah!

:metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: November 15, 2021, 11:41:12 PM »

Haha. Believe me my interactions with the couple cute coworkers at my work are meaningless. My relationship is doing okay... But a compliment from a cute girl will never not make my day (or week).

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: November 16, 2021, 09:11:59 PM »
Haha. Believe me my interactions with the couple cute coworkers at my work are meaningless.

In the interest of your continued employment.... keep it that way.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #965 on: December 01, 2021, 11:24:10 AM »
Sade.
Sade made me happy today. What a treasure.

Also.
at the other end of the spectrum....Doug and the Slugs - TomCat Prowl made me happy. That keyboard open. So good.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: December 01, 2021, 12:44:49 PM »
Snow; we had flurries last night.

Promotion; got a bump in title/rank at work, pretty psyched about that.

Going to see The Musical Box tonight.  Excited for that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: December 01, 2021, 01:03:25 PM »

Awesome!  That's great man.  Can we call you Vice Rear Admiral now?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: December 01, 2021, 01:08:31 PM »
Congrats Stads  :yarr

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #969 on: December 01, 2021, 06:19:48 PM »

:tup :tup :tup

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #970 on: December 01, 2021, 07:00:56 PM »

Did you go from wrong to super wrong?  ;D

Congrats bud!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 07:16:36 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #971 on: December 01, 2021, 07:10:34 PM »
Stads.

WOOOOOOTTTT!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #972 on: December 01, 2021, 07:16:11 PM »

Congrats, man! That's awesome.  :tup :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: December 02, 2021, 06:28:11 AM »

Awesome!  That's great man.  Can we call you Vice Rear Admiral now?

I went with "Grand Poobah".   Has a nice ring to it.   Thanks for all the kind words; it's appreciated.

Also, if anyone is a Genesis fan and HASN'T seen "The Musical Box", you need to fix that ASAP.  They also announced they are touring the full Lamb production next year.   Woohoo!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: December 09, 2021, 01:45:49 AM »
I actually slept really well last night which is very unusual for the first night in a hotel.  This has lead to me feeling refreshed today and therefore very happy that I am not dragging as I was last night.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #975 on: December 10, 2021, 03:54:09 PM »
My third graders got through a run through of their program today. It’s next Thursday, the stage isn’t clear, but today was the first time I felt they were able to perform it.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #976 on: December 11, 2021, 09:06:35 PM »
I've been anxiously awaiting the grade of my final essay in Comp I.

I got a perfect score, along with these comment from the professor:

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: December 12, 2021, 06:51:37 AM »
:happydance:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #978 on: December 17, 2021, 09:46:57 AM »
Today is Friday and happens to be my last work day of the year.  Vacation through Jan 3rd. :2metal:  Massive amounts of happy forthcoming.  :) :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Melphina

« Reply #979 on: December 17, 2021, 04:12:48 PM »
Finished packing up my apartment, turned in my keys for the unit and the mailbox, made one last storage unit run, finished all my personal packing... I'm exhausted but happy. No more bills to really worry about. And then of course the new Spiderman film tonight with my best friend, then tomorrow morning I drive to West Virginia and begin my trucking adventure. I'm exhausted and nervous and stressed and emotional but excited and ready for a new start.