Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 95381 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #910 on: October 25, 2021, 09:53:05 AM »
I guess I'll put this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2WuacWE-WQ

Balling my eyes out..

That was awesome!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: October 25, 2021, 10:22:14 PM »

Also i've never once called in sick to a job in my life when I was lying. I'm too worried they'll instantly know I'm lying and demand I come in.

I have probably called in legit sick to work 5 times in the past 10+ years, so I call in fake sick periodically just to have a day off and use sick time I am accruing. And I still don't like doing it. But in my current job I can just text and not have to make an actual phone call.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #912 on: October 26, 2021, 03:20:03 AM »

Also i've never once called in sick to a job in my life when I was lying. I'm too worried they'll instantly know I'm lying and demand I come in.

I have probably called in legit sick to work 5 times in the past 10+ years, so I call in fake sick periodically just to have a day off and use sick time I am accruing. And I still don't like doing it. But in my current job I can just text and not have to make an actual phone call.
Same here. I did notice because of the ease of texting that fake sick call to use up the accrued days I have done it a few more times this last year then ever before.  ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: October 26, 2021, 05:17:00 AM »
I've had 3 this year which is a record for me. Mostly exhaustion / stress related. I think ny most recent go of Anti-DPs knocked me out.

They made me nice and sleepy so I slept great but the next day I felt like I'd been awake all night. So i got rid of them.

Luckily because of my terrible awkwardness - we are allowed to email the managers.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #914 on: October 26, 2021, 06:43:47 PM »
When I was a Store Manager, I honestly didn't care if guys used sick days or not. If they accrue them, then by all means, use them.

But my only ask was that if you were going to use a sick day, then it should be coordinated with the department manager. If a guy was sick, so be it, but I did not expect to go shorthanded just because a guy woke up and decided to use a sick day.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #915 on: October 26, 2021, 07:08:43 PM »
And that happens so much still Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #916 on: October 26, 2021, 07:11:43 PM »
I hate having to call in sick, but sometimes it just cannot be avoided.  I feel like I had more unplanned call-offs in the last year than normal (maybe 4-5, not counting the day I had to call in because the 2nd COVID shot made me feel like a truck had run me over). Part of getting older, I guess.  :censored :censored

Online the_silent_man

« Reply #917 on: October 27, 2021, 04:58:17 AM »
But my only ask was that if you were going to use a sick day, then it should be coordinated with the department manager. If a guy was sick, so be it, but I did not expect to go shorthanded just because a guy woke up and decided to use a sick day.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how is it possible to co-ordinate a sick day beforehand? You can't arrange when you're going to wake up unwell. The only thing you can do is call/email immediately at the start of the day and notify that you won't be in.

If you're referring to people who take sick days and don't call/email to notify however, then yeah, that is a dick move  :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: October 31, 2021, 03:26:28 PM »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:12:16 AM by Kotowboy »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #919 on: October 31, 2021, 03:30:14 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how is it possible to co-ordinate a sick day beforehand? You can't arrange when you're going to wake up unwell. The only thing you can do is call/email immediately at the start of the day and notify that you won't be in.

If you're referring to people who take sick days and don't call/email to notify however, then yeah, that is a dick move  :P

That is what I'm saying. I never had a problem if people used their allotted sick time, even if they weren't sick. But if you were going to do so, then just "schedule" it with the department manager.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #920 on: October 31, 2021, 10:53:45 PM »
Clocking out.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #921 on: November 01, 2021, 02:22:11 PM »
The company owner stopped by for contract negotiations with the account I've been handling, and after, he stopped by saying everything was going well. He also said he'd be by next week to discuss with me new responsibilities, a new title, and salary. This is something I left the restaurant world for, to get that top corporate gig that would finally push me into the next salary echelon, an open many doors in a corporation that's on the verge of going very, very big.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: November 01, 2021, 02:27:23 PM »
The company owner stopped by for contract negotiations with the account I've been handling, and after, he stopped by saying everything was going well. He also said he'd be by next week to discuss with me new responsibilities, a new title, and salary. This is something I left the restaurant world for, to get that top corporate gig that would finally push me into the next salary echelon, an open many doors in a corporation that's on the verge of going very, very big.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #923 on: November 01, 2021, 02:31:59 PM »
That's awesome!

What made me happy today was that my youngest finally got their driver's license.

What made me happy recently is that my wife was a guest on a podcast recently (industry, not popular entertainment), and was apparently a hit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #924 on: November 01, 2021, 03:00:30 PM »

Good stuff RJ! Best of luck!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #925 on: November 01, 2021, 03:01:39 PM »

That sounds awesome.  I'm happy for you!   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #926 on: November 01, 2021, 03:04:45 PM »
That's awesome Lonestar...er I mean Mr. Lonestar.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #927 on: November 01, 2021, 03:05:21 PM »
Thanks gents... This was a direction I wanted to go before covid put a halt on everything, but it seemed to actually work imy favor since my specific account was allowed to stay open since we're considered critical infrastructure, so I was able to manage it solo and show what I was capable of.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #928 on: November 01, 2021, 03:07:05 PM »

Hell yea!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: November 02, 2021, 10:54:01 AM »
Sunday was my final day at my waitering job for a Holiday Park. It was so quiet as all the guests had to get home early for school on Monday. So I was allowed to leave early.

I could not get home fast enough. Didn't stick around.  :)

Man I could have been in a great mood - but the moment i arrived at work every day - it plummeted. Couldn't wait to finish.

So yeah now I never have to go back there.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #930 on: November 02, 2021, 10:58:17 AM »
Thanks gents... This was a direction I wanted to go before covid put a halt on everything, but it seemed to actually work imy favor since my specific account was allowed to stay open since we're considered critical infrastructure, so I was able to manage it solo and show what I was capable of.

Good work Broseph. Congrats!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #931 on: November 05, 2021, 05:49:19 PM »
I learned a new phrase (new to me) and it is "Toxic Positivity."

"Toxic positivity is an obsession with positive thinking. It is the belief that people should put a positive spin on all experiences, even those that are profoundly tragic."

For so long in my life, in group situations, I've always been the resident pessimist or at least the planner with a focus on preparing for worst case scenarios.  I've been put down for this trait.  I've had self-loathing for even having this trait.  And today I find out, that the people I always thought I was "supposed to be like" are actually causing harm to others.  To wit:

It's shaming: When someone is suffering, they need to know that their emotions are valid, but that they can find relief and love in their friends and family. Toxic positivity tells people that the emotions they are feeling are unacceptable.

It causes guilt: It sends a message that if you aren't finding a way to feel positive, even in the face of tragedy, that you are doing something wrong.

It avoids authentic human emotion: Toxic positivity functions as an avoidance mechanism. When other people engage in this type of behavior, it allows them to sidestep emotional situations that might make them feel uncomfortable. But sometimes we turn these same ideas on ourselves, internalizing these toxic ideas. When we feel difficult emotions, we then discount, dismiss, and deny them.

It prevents growth: It allows us to avoid feeling things that might be painful, but it also denies us the ability to face challenging feelings that can ultimately lead to growth and deeper insight.

Overly positive people.  Who needs em?   :lol

I feel seen.   :heart

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #932 on: November 05, 2021, 05:59:55 PM »

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #933 on: November 05, 2021, 06:20:10 PM »

"Toxic positivity is an obsession with positive thinking. It is the belief that people should put a positive spin on all experiences, even those that are profoundly tragic."

It's shaming: When someone is suffering, they need to know that their emotions are valid, but that they can find relief and love in their friends and family. Toxic positivity tells people that the emotions they are feeling are unacceptable.

It causes guilt: It sends a message that if you aren't finding a way to feel positive, even in the face of tragedy, that you are doing something wrong.

It avoids authentic human emotion: Toxic positivity functions as an avoidance mechanism. When other people engage in this type of behavior, it allows them to sidestep emotional situations that might make them feel uncomfortable. But sometimes we turn these same ideas on ourselves, internalizing these toxic ideas. When we feel difficult emotions, we then discount, dismiss, and deny them.

It prevents growth: It allows us to avoid feeling things that might be painful, but it also denies us the ability to face challenging feelings that can ultimately lead to growth and deeper insight.

I know the feeling. It is unhealthy because you never learn to process your negative feelings. I know so many people who are hell bent on good feelings and they just come off as shallow.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: November 05, 2021, 07:53:14 PM »

I know the feeling. It is unhealthy because you never learn to process your negative feelings. I know so many people who are hell bent on good feelings and they just come off as shallow.

I see many people like that in my organisation.  Fake, plastic people with zero substance.  Just come across as dickhead most of the time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: November 06, 2021, 04:57:26 AM »

For so long in my life, in group situations, I've always been the resident pessimist or at least the planner with a focus on preparing for worst case scenarios.  I've been put down for this trait.  I've had self-loathing for even having this trait.  And today I find out, that the people I always thought I was "supposed to be like" are actually causing harm to others.  To wit:

This is mrs.jingle to a T.

My only beef with this trait is that (not saying this about you, Harmony), it sometimes can lead one to seeing the bad/problems in many situations that don't need it.  Additionally, with mrs.jingle at least, it causes a lot of unnecessary anxiety and stress - planning for situations/outcomes that never come to pass.

Like all things in life, balance between of positivity and pessimism (for lack of a better word) is needed.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #936 on: November 06, 2021, 09:09:28 AM »

My only beef with this trait is that (not saying this about you, Harmony), it sometimes can lead one to seeing the bad/problems in many situations that don't need it.  Additionally, with mrs.jingle at least, it causes a lot of unnecessary anxiety and stress - planning for situations/outcomes that never come to pass.

Like all things in life, balance between of positivity and pessimism (for lack of a better word) is needed.

No, I get it.  Having a more balanced outlook is what I actually strive for.  But my whole life it's been, "Why can't you be more like Suzie?  She always has a positive outlook.  Stop being such a 'negative Nancy'. 

And I know it all stems from having a less than idyllic childhood.  When you are 5 or 6 and have to referee your parents physical altercations and deal with your old man's drinking it has a tendency to make you grow up real fast and see the world in a very different light.  A light that I have no doubt Suzie never had to stand in.  It teaches you to always be prepared for things to go bad, you know?

Anyway, now I don't have to hold Suzie up to the gold standard anymore.  Suzie can go fuck herself.  LoL

TAC that post literally made me LoL.   :laugh:
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: November 08, 2021, 05:16:15 AM »

This is the real wisdom, right here.  I err on the side of the positive; I am absolutely a glass-half-full, can-do kind of guy.   And I've always thought that was a key part of whatever successes I might have had.   But as I've progressed through therapy, it's become pretty clear that it's neither extreme that is really healthy.  Both of my wives are/were of the "glass-half-empty" species, both telling me at some point in our relationships that "If I focus on the bad, I can prevent the worst, and anything after that is a bonus"; but it doesn't/didn't work out that way in real life.   

I DO believe the mind is a powerful thing, and if one is defeated going in they are likely defeated coming out.  How does Neal Morse say it?  "If you think it can't be done, then right you are!"

And - stretching into P/R territory - there is now a sort of mixed message about this; if there is such a thing as "toxic positivity", then we do have to assess things like our societal dialogue.  Is it really that important, then, to "see someone who looks like me" achieving things to make them real (not the right word)?  I get that any doubt on the societal/identity politics narrative is instantly "white privilege", but I never quite understood that mentality.  Yuri Gagarin had no one "that looked like him" in space.   Jackie Robinson had no one "that looked like him" in the Major Leagues.   Arabella Mansfield had no one "that looked like her" when she... trivia, any takers what she was the first to do?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: November 08, 2021, 06:57:24 AM »
Not joking, not kidding, not being facetious:

I painted half my bathroom (long story, not relevant) and installed a new Delta Foundations toilet this weekend.   I'm not really a neat-freak, but I am a little precious of my own "dirt" as it were.   So when I move into a house that isn't new, I generally have painted every room, and if they aren't relatively new, I swap out the switches and outlets, as well as the toilets.  Seriously.  So we moved into a house in July - that I love (more on that later) - and the people smoked.  Add to that that we have some indication they did a LOT of tidying up to make ready for sale (i.e. they weren't very clean people).  So I've got about 75% of the main floor repainted - one kid's room, the kitchen and the hallway to go - and I've painted and swapped out all the switches and plugs.  Most of the fixtures have this brown crud at the point of where the cover is, indicating that they haven't been cleaned in any way.  So this weekend was the master bath.  New toilet, new GFI and four switches, and I feel like I'm in paradise.

As for the "more on that", another thing that made me happy this weekend:  I got up early on Sunday, about 7:00 or so, made a cup of coffee and sat on my couch to play a little Lego Marvel Superheroes on the PS3.  In that room I have a nice double slider looking out on my back yard and it was so peaceful and relaxing; the sun was out (though it was cold) and the leaves are brown, and it was like being in my own little world.   So relaxing.  Later that morning, a black bear made his/her way up my driveway and across the yard.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: November 08, 2021, 08:14:48 AM »

I'm fairly new to this term, saw it used on twitter a few months back when someone I was following was constantly posting negative feelings and someone else constantly posted things about "stay positive" or "cheer up" type of responses which lead to the original poster to kind of go off on this toxic positive person.  Kind of made me think, sure, the negative feelings are valid, but if you are going to flip out over someone who is at least trying (and clearly failing, but still has good intent) then I think that negative person has more issues than the person being too positive.  Made me think the negative person was not the type of person I want to be surrounded by and I unfollowed. 

Personally, I know life is not always peachy.  The ups comes with the downs and there's no doubt in my mind about that.  But choosing to focus on the ups more than the downs is not a bad thing IMO.  I feel like negativity attracts negativity, but maybe the opposite is true too?  And where would I rather my headspace be?  I think even some data is out there that positive people are more happy in life.  I know you can't always decide your mental state, but in instances where you can, I always try to be more positive and accept the fact it's not going to be the reality all of the time. My point being, I'd rather be surrounded by toxic positivity than toxic negativity.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: November 08, 2021, 08:50:20 AM »
^ I sort of agree with this.  There is science that says you can fake it til you make it - that is, you can smile your way to happiness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: November 08, 2021, 10:24:12 AM »
I'm in a low at the moment but at least I wake up now knowing I don't have to go back to that job.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #942 on: November 08, 2021, 10:44:10 AM »
Speaking of jobs, it always makes me happy when I talk to my favorite customers and I help them through their decision process.    Since October, I've been consciously working on being more kind.  Not nice, but kind.  This holiday season is going to be extra crazy due to the supply chain issues, and so helping people understand that in a calm, factual, understanding manor is going to be huge. 

As a side note, if you haven't started your Christmas shopping yet, do it NOW.  And, be kind to people in retail and in shipping.  Fed Ex and UPS are expecting ridiculously high shipping volumes this year, and understand that the companies that you order from are going to be at the mercy of the shipping companies to get things to you on time. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: November 08, 2021, 11:33:26 AM »
As a side note, if you haven't started your Christmas shopping yet, do it NOW.  And, be kind to people in retail and in shipping.  Fed Ex and UPS are expecting ridiculously high shipping volumes this year, and understand that the companies that you order from are going to be at the mercy of the shipping companies to get things to you on time.

In anticipation of this, the jingle.family is pretty much done - I know I am.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: November 08, 2021, 12:00:37 PM »
Speaking of jobs, it always makes me happy when I talk to my favorite customers and I help them through their decision process.    Since October, I've been consciously working on being more kind.  Not nice, but kind.  This holiday season is going to be extra crazy due to the supply chain issues, and so helping people understand that in a calm, factual, understanding manor is going to be huge. 

I worked in a Holiday park Restaurant. You HAD to be nice to all the scummy guests. Even if they treated you like dirt. Luckily i've had lots of practice of putting on a happy face when feeling

ultra depressed. I can just turn on the charm when I leave the kitchen. The old cliche is true.

if you met me you wouldn't even guess. If you saw me walking around town i'm constantly chuckling to myself about something.

But when I get home it's a different story.