Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 96784 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #805 on: July 02, 2021, 08:40:50 PM »
This video put a smile on my face tonight!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmoPyxzOLFk
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #806 on: July 07, 2021, 11:14:53 AM »
I was promoted to a Supervisor role back in December, and today I was able to give my first promotion.  That was pretty sweet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #807 on: July 07, 2021, 12:26:17 PM »
I was up until 2:00 am doing it, but we are all moved out of the old house and into the new!  Now to empty boxes (since I don't know where ANYTHING is.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #808 on: July 07, 2021, 02:53:30 PM »
I was promoted to a Supervisor role back in December, and today I was able to give my first promotion.  That was pretty sweet.

It sure is.

I was up until 2:00 am doing it, but we are all moved out of the old house and into the new!  Now to empty boxes (since I don't know where ANYTHING is.

I do not envy you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: July 07, 2021, 04:20:13 PM »
I arrived at work and my friend was there and I hadn't seen him since Friday so i gave him a big hug and he chuckled and goes "Alright?  :D"

Always nice when you hug a friend and they like it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: July 07, 2021, 04:32:40 PM »
Plus we couldn't hug for a long time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: July 07, 2021, 04:37:14 PM »
I hug everyone  :laugh: i don't discriminate...

But deffo prefer hugging dudes. It just feels nicer imo.  ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #812 on: July 08, 2021, 04:58:40 AM »

And you won't until November.  Hell, we've been in our house 2.5 years, and sometimes still don't remember where we keep certain things!  You're gonna be one busy camper the next few months.  I was glad we moved in March, when the weather was still cold enough that we'd prefer to be indoors.  Bummer that it's summer and you aren't going to be able to chill as much as you normally would
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: July 08, 2021, 06:24:57 AM »

That's awesome Hef :tup, Congrats!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: July 08, 2021, 07:06:00 AM »
I really need a better job ASAP. There's zero room for growth where I am now except to go direct to manager which I do not want to do.

I want to move away from hospitality but If i can get a nice easy restaurant job nearer to where I live then that'll be a start.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: July 08, 2021, 09:36:24 AM »
Have you ever thought of pivoting to maybe working at a hotel or something like that? I used to work at a hotel and the gig was pretty suite aside from a few irate guests from time to time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: July 08, 2021, 04:53:53 PM »
Customers are sh*tty no matter what so it's to be expected.

I don't want to leave in the busy busy period as i'd feel like a d*ck and it would make everyone else's work harder. But if something comes along maybe I can work both jobs

( splitting the hours ! ) until the summer is over. But my current job is a 60 minute round trip every day and if it's raining i'm tired of drying everything out every day.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #817 on: July 09, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »
My employer finally announced that folks have to come back to the offices!

Since mid-March of last year, I've had many days on which I was the only person or one of only two people in the office.  Most of our offices outside California have been working from the office for quite a while, but now California employees are back for at least three days per week, and that will progress pretty quickly to a full five days.

It's nice to have more than one or two people to talk with in the office (although I suspect I'll occasionally miss the quiet).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #818 on: July 09, 2021, 10:02:46 AM »
Our AC that feeds our second floor went out yesterday evening around 7:30pm. Our upstairs was hovering around 88 degrees....it was pretty bad. Called a 24 hour service line to see about getting someone out and the tech. said "are you a handy person?".  I said 'relatively' and he proceeded to explain to me how to take a panel off the AC and find the "beer can" looking capacitor. He said my description sounded like our Compressor wasn't working and it most likely was the $20 part.

The parts stores where these could be purchased were closed....so we had an old school no AC night of sleeping....anyway, was able to get to the store this morning and pick up that part. Within 10 minutes I had it swapped out and our AC was blasting cool air again. What a great tip from that guy and he probably saved me a couple hundred dollars at least were he or another company to come out and fix us up.

That made me happy today.

There were three different connection points 'C'....'FAN'.....and 'HERM'   He said 'HERM' was the one that was most likely fried. Just made sure to reconnect the colored wired to their associated spots and that was that.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: July 09, 2021, 12:21:40 PM »
Love stories like that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: July 09, 2021, 01:49:11 PM »
Gary, I would have slept on the couch downstairs  lol.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: July 09, 2021, 01:51:05 PM »
Gary, I would have slept on the couch downstairs  lol.

Thought about it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #822 on: July 09, 2021, 05:11:53 PM »
Wish I’d been so lucky. AC was working just fine, but the furnace blower wasn’t kicking on earlier this week (which I’d just had replaced in Jan - along with an emergency service fee as it was a Sunday morning). Anyway, same problem as yours Gary - capacitor was fried.  $30 part, $200 total for the call  >:(  Oh well, I would’ve never been able to diagnose it.

Fortunately, the weather was cool yesterday so we weren’t cookin like you were.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #823 on: July 09, 2021, 05:30:58 PM »
The AC at work broke as well, same thing with the compressor. They made us work from the office all week in 80 something degree heat. Not terribly fun. Finally let us work from home on Monday. Possibly Tuesday but unlikely.

Oh, and what made me happy? My girlfriend and I finally got a nice apartment and signed a lease.  :metal Picking up the keys tomorrow, inshallah.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: July 09, 2021, 05:45:25 PM »
That guy's tip saved you a lot of money and likely even got you fixed sooner than later.  That's pretty awesome.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #825 on: July 09, 2021, 06:18:44 PM »
Must be AC breakdown week at DTF. Mine was out for the past week and a half since two Mondays ago when it hit 115° here. Figured it was either the capacitor or compressor. Finally got the HVAC guy to check it out last night, and capacitor it was. He said the fan was also rotating the wrong way as a result. After 10 days of 80+ temps upstairs at night, I’m glad to finally have a cool house again.

If it’s that easy of a fix, I might try it myself if it happens again.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #826 on: July 09, 2021, 07:18:12 PM »
I got the AC in my van fixed today!! Driving home from work has been a bitch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: July 09, 2021, 08:49:20 PM »
I got the AC in my van fixed today!! Driving home from work has been a bitch.

I don't envy you. That's the worst.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: July 09, 2021, 09:18:08 PM »
So I told you all I moved in to a new (well, new to me) home this past weekend.  No kidding, we bought it with the AC not working (it was priced in) and I had the guy come out and look the day after closing... and the part is on back order.  So we've been without AC ourselves for the better part of a week and a half (though I have a window mount unit). 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: July 09, 2021, 10:34:05 PM »
Great story Gary. From now on this shall be known as the "AC Beer Can Solution."

During our 100+ day last week, (which apparently directly resulted in 78 deaths in WA!) the rest of the family slept downstairs. I am normally the one that is too hot, but I managed ok upstairs. It helped not having my wife and dog in the bed with me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #830 on: July 10, 2021, 07:29:03 PM »
Not just today, but this weekend my girlfriend and I took a trip out to Indianapolis for PopCon. A show she did voice work for called Daddydelphia is up for a few awards at the convention so we came out for the ceremony. It’s our first vacation together just me and her, and despite a few hiccups getting here, it’s been an absolute blast. I’m always at my happiest when it’s just me and her, so this weekend has been an absolute delight and has really helped relieve a lot of the stress and anxiety I’ve been battling lately.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #831 on: July 11, 2021, 11:43:41 AM »
Today I completed 1,000 km run this year! My goal is to reach 2,112.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #832 on: July 11, 2021, 01:13:32 PM »
This a strange one.

I have had Profile Photos and Signatures turned off on the forum for years.

Just turned them back on, and seeing what sigs and photos people are using, especially people who've been around a long time, made me smile.

Maybe I am just in a good mood? :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #833 on: July 11, 2021, 04:01:49 PM »

Wow!  Good for you.  I'm pretty confident I haven't run 1,000 km (621 miles) in my life, much less just over 6 months.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #834 on: July 11, 2021, 04:19:39 PM »

Wow!  Good for you.  I'm pretty confident I haven't run 1,000 km (621 miles) in my life, much less just over 6 months.

My pace is not the same, especially now that there are no official races in sight...but yeah, I still run at least 4 times a week.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: July 12, 2021, 03:11:56 PM »
Great story Gary. From now on this shall be known as the "AC Beer Can Solution."

It's just nice to know that a $20 part is a good 'first place to check' for folks. Even if you go and replace that part and your AC still isn't working after the 'fix'.....you've eliminated that factor from the equation.

I love the name BTW

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: July 12, 2021, 04:26:03 PM »

Wow.  You've basically ran from my house to Florida. Good luck on reaching your goal  :yarr

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: July 12, 2021, 07:15:55 PM »

Likewise. I wonder how long it would take me to hit 621 miles as part of my daily driving commute (which isn't very long).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #838 on: July 13, 2021, 09:14:09 AM »

Likewise. I wonder how long it would take me to hit 621 miles as part of my daily driving commute (which isn't very long).

Nowadays, I do about 26 miles round trip per day, so I'd hit 621 miles in 24 work days, which would be just over a month (21.74 work days per month not counting holidays and PTO).  Ten years ago, my commute was about 67 miles per day (on what might be the worst interstate freeway in the country), so I'd hit 621 miles in less than two weeks.  Best quality of life change EVER!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #839 on: July 13, 2021, 09:59:14 AM »
In an effort to reach the 2,112km goal, I've been tracking not only my runs, but also my walks to and from school to pick up my daughter, and other walks in the neighborhood. Every second week or so I go to the office for work, and that's 4km from my place, so I walk there and back as well. We'll see if I can make it!