Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 96063 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2020, 02:07:10 PM »
I watch TV so rarely and family is happy with our current 10 year old 50" so it never occurred to me to look in to getting a new one. When I did recently I was amazed at how low the prices were!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline max_security

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2020, 02:24:38 PM »
Actually yesterday but I had forgot that my company gives Good Friday as a paid holiday. Surprise 4 day work week I'll take it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2020, 05:58:47 AM »
That was me too on Tuesday.   I mean, I'm not sure what I'm exactly going to do with that day off, but still.  :) 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2020, 10:49:47 AM »
So, that TV was gonna arrive sometime in May originally. But with Prime, bumped up to Tuesday. Now they changed it, just shipped and will arrive Saturday. In time for Westworld on Sunday and Saul on Monday! Now if my replacement phone would arrive before Saturday, that would be the cherry on this sundae.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2020, 11:21:10 AM »
Every day this week, my daughter has thrown a major tantrum in the morning.  She earns multiple timeouts and eventually calms down and has a better day.  It's been a very challenging week.

Today, our park district (that runs the preschool that she attends) had a few employees drive around to the kids' homes, including ours.  They dropped off bags full of Easter eggs, candy, and egg coloring kits, and included a visit from the Easter Bunny himself, who socially distanced perfectly and waved from the sidewalk.  My daughter was so excited that the bunny came to her home today and she got to see him.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2020, 11:29:49 AM »
MLB Network is showing highlights of the 1977 season including the Dodgers winning the pennant in Lasorda's first year as manager.  My favorite minor league baseball team will show their opening day game from a couple of years ago, Tim Tebow's baseball debut.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2020, 12:29:04 PM »
MLB Network is showing highlights of the 1977 season including the Dodgers winning the pennant in Lasorda's first year as manager.  My favorite minor league baseball team will show their opening day game from a couple of years ago, Tim Tebow's baseball debut.

I've been loving the programming on MLBN.  They've also been running a 20 or 25 greatest games in the last 50 years series (which I think was produced in 2011).  The one I recently watched was the 16 inning game from the 1986 NLCS (Mets over Astros), and they also had game 6 of the World Series that same year -- with Bill Buckner and Mookie Wilson in studio with Bob Costas and (I think) Tom Verducci.  I think it was because all three series came out opposite of what I wanted, I did not appreciate how great that 1986 post season was.

I got my tax return today! In full. Last year I was penalized the majority of my tax return because I didn't have health insurance for the first half of 2018 which is total bulls#$&, thankfully that got stopped and I have health insurance now anyway. I'm gonna make one hell of a credit card payment, sock most of the rest into savings, and buy a brand new huge 4K TV since my current TV has a ton of burn-in and is 9 years old.

Not to poo poo something that made you happy, but you realize that a big tax return is nothing more than the government repaying a 0-interest loan, right?  Might want to consider adjusting your withholding allowances.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2020, 12:44:53 PM »
Not to poo poo something that made you happy, but you realize that a big tax return is nothing more than the government repaying a 0-interest loan, right?  Might want to consider adjusting your withholding allowances.

Yes, I know exactly what a tax return is.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:21:56 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2020, 12:58:37 PM »
A friend's husband tested negative at an assisted living facility!  The only good news they've had in the four weeks that they have not been allowed to see each other.

In lieu of the passing of Al Kaline, MLB telecast Games 6 and 7 of the '68 WS between the Tigers and Cardinals.  Taped them, and that's my viewing next week after various Masters' highlights this weekend.

Also, this morning, after zero success for weeks, and on my third different store visit before 730 AM today, I grabbed the last package of toilet paper.  We were a day away from a 'can you spare a square?' situation.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2020, 06:28:55 PM »
New Music  :metal :metal and the song is called Music by Nightwish specifically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwz7-h9LCDU

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2020, 12:38:38 AM »
Every day this week, my daughter has thrown a major tantrum in the morning.  She earns multiple timeouts and eventually calms down and has a better day.  It's been a very challenging week.

Today, our park district (that runs the preschool that she attends) had a few employees drive around to the kids' homes, including ours.  They dropped off bags full of Easter eggs, candy, and egg coloring kits, and included a visit from the Easter Bunny himself, who socially distanced perfectly and waved from the sidewalk.  My daughter was so excited that the bunny came to her home today and she got to see him.

I don't mean to be a downer but it seems to completely defeat the purpose of social distancing for them to take a whole bunch of stuff that's had people's hands on it and distribute it to several people. Their intentions were obviously good-natured but the timing is facepalmingly bad.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2020, 06:59:25 AM »

I don't mean to be a downer but it seems to completely defeat the purpose of social distancing for them to take a whole bunch of stuff that's had people's hands on it and distribute it to several people. Their intentions were obviously good-natured but the timing is facepalmingly bad.

Each bag had a note that confirmed it was packaged while handled with gloves.  The person dropping it on our doorstep had gloves and a mask, and it was delivered by our own Park District, all people whom I trust with the lives of my children daily.  I trust that they're not risking the life of my child by doing something special for families.

And quite frankly, I am a firm believer that this virus is primarily passed when a sick individual is near another person.  Handling something a potentially sick person has touched does not scare me.  I never get sick when I open my mail, packages, or groceries on a regular basis.  I'm not going to get sick in that manner now.  Social media has truly blown that aspect out of proportion.

The timing of their gesture couldn't have been better.  My daughter is tired of being stuck closer to home with her school life disrupted.  She was THRILLED to see the Easter bunny in our driveway and have some small goodie bags to open. 

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2020, 07:47:07 AM »

Wow, that is top notch cool!

Each bag had a note that confirmed it was packaged while handled with gloves.  The person dropping it on our doorstep had gloves and a mask, and it was delivered by our own Park District, all people whom I trust with the lives of my children daily.  I trust that they're not risking the life of my child by doing something special for families.

And quite frankly, I am a firm believer that this virus is primarily passed when a sick individual is near another person.  Handling something a potentially sick person has touched does not scare me.  I never get sick when I open my mail, packages, or groceries on a regular basis.  I'm not going to get sick in that manner now.  Social media has truly blown that aspect out of proportion.

The timing of their gesture couldn't have been better.  My daughter is tired of being stuck closer to home with her school life disrupted.  She was THRILLED to see the Easter bunny in our driveway and have some small goodie bags to open.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2020, 07:52:31 AM »
Replacement phone arrived last night. First time replacing a broken phone. Within an hour I had all my stuff that was backed up downloaded back to my phone. Pretty much everything except my photos and ringtones and alarm settings. Awesome. I was using the same phone for 4 years so I know I can get at least 4 more out of this Galaxy S7 too.  :lol But yeah, the ease with which I set up the phone and got my stuff back was amazing. They've made it so simple. Of course, I only really use my phone for music and Messenger, so I'm easy to please.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2020, 08:53:50 AM »
Replacement phone arrived last night. First time replacing a broken phone. Within an hour I had all my stuff that was backed up downloaded back to my phone. Pretty much everything except my photos and ringtones and alarm settings. Awesome. I was using the same phone for 4 years so I know I can get at least 4 more out of this Galaxy S7 too.  :lol But yeah, the ease with which I set up the phone and got my stuff back was amazing. They've made it so simple. Of course, I only really use my phone for music and Messenger, so I'm easy to please.

Cool, so you got your phone before the weekend after all, and the TV supposed to get there tomorrow  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »

Cool, so you got your phone before the weekend after all, and the TV supposed to get there tomorrow  :metal

Better yet, the TV's supposed to show up today now! I'll be playing Final Fantasy 7 Remake on a brand new screen all weekend :2metal:

EDIT: it's already here! Amazon's on fire, man.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:45:28 AM by Kattelox »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2020, 03:25:17 PM »
A few things made me happy today.

LED lights for my TV arrived 5 days earlier than expected. Amazon Prime is really on top of their game even through this pandemic craziness. I was a little apprehensive about receiving packages but honestly, whatever. They're set up and I have to rearrange some furniture now to get the TV a bit closer to the wall, so that'll be fun tonight.

Then, those earbuds I was recommended last week have lasted me all day at work. It's 4:20 PM and I've had them in since 8 AM, only taking them out to charge them from 12-1 during lunch, and they've never indicated they were close to running out. Best pair of earbuds I've ever had.

Finally, I took my old TV and my old digital piano and set them up in my bedroom instead of the living room. I not only freed up space in the living room, but now I have my dream practice setup: my laptop hooked up to my bedroom TV, with my piano set right in front of it, so now I can very easily access and read all of my digital sheets, with a giant digital display. I can turn on my lamp with the blue bulb and practice in a dimly lit or completely dark room, just the way I like it. If my environment isn't just right, I cannot focus on practicing, and I absolutely love this setup.

All in all everything's going swimmingly. Wonder what will happen this week to balance things out.  :facepalm: :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2020, 06:07:47 PM »
You deserve it, brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2020, 06:10:57 PM »
Woke up this morning to find that I qualified for the federal $600 unemployment on my last state unemployment payment. That extra 600 will help a lot right now.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2020, 07:16:43 AM »
A few things made me happy today.

LED lights for my TV arrived 5 days earlier than expected. Amazon Prime is really on top of their game even through this pandemic craziness. I was a little apprehensive about receiving packages but honestly, whatever. They're set up and I have to rearrange some furniture now to get the TV a bit closer to the wall, so that'll be fun tonight.

Then, those earbuds I was recommended last week have lasted me all day at work. It's 4:20 PM and I've had them in since 8 AM, only taking them out to charge them from 12-1 during lunch, and they've never indicated they were close to running out. Best pair of earbuds I've ever had.

Finally, I took my old TV and my old digital piano and set them up in my bedroom instead of the living room. I not only freed up space in the living room, but now I have my dream practice setup: my laptop hooked up to my bedroom TV, with my piano set right in front of it, so now I can very easily access and read all of my digital sheets, with a giant digital display. I can turn on my lamp with the blue bulb and practice in a dimly lit or completely dark room, just the way I like it. If my environment isn't just right, I cannot focus on practicing, and I absolutely love this setup.

All in all everything's going swimmingly. Wonder what will happen this week to balance things out.  :facepalm: :lol

4:20, bro!

Haha, seriously, though that sounds really cool.   Other than food and... uh, "companionship", there's no reason to leave the house! 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2020, 07:31:49 AM »
I didn't make the connection, that's so weird I'd post that at 4:20  :lol Thanks TAC and Stads. Yeah, cooking for one person after a long day at work sucks. That's one of the last things I wanna do. My cooking sucks and all the restaurants are closed, so I guess I'm forced to get better  :lol

Jay, that's freaking awesome. One of the best feelings in life is the relief that comes with a nice financial assist.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2020, 08:35:54 AM »
Got a check from my car insurance company for $50 due to the pandemic. Cool. That nearly canceled out my payment for this month.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2020, 03:52:24 PM »
Trump funbux coming to my bank account next Wednesday makes Kattelox a happy dude.  :metal

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2020, 04:13:58 PM »
Trump funbux coming to my bank account next Wednesday makes Kattelox a happy dude.  :metal

:lol Funbux, I haven't heard it called that yet.  That's awesome though, what will you spend it on?

I got mine a few weeks ago and my wife and I used it to pay down our van.  I know it doesn't sound like fun, but it put us that much closer to being out of debt, which makes me happy.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2020, 01:50:47 PM »
I saw my first fledgling birds of the year on Friday. A baby sparrow in the afternoon, then a baby blackbird (who I knew was nesting in next door's garden) that sat in the same spot for literally an hour. Must have been its first time out in the big wide world.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2020, 07:36:05 AM »

:lol Funbux, I haven't heard it called that yet.  That's awesome though, what will you spend it on?

I got mine a few weeks ago and my wife and I used it to pay down our van.  I know it doesn't sound like fun, but it put us that much closer to being out of debt, which makes me happy.

Nice, dude! I spent a chunk of my tax return this year on material stuff like a new TV etc. (didn't get much of a return last year; health care penalty), so with this check, I'm trying to save about 1000 of the 1200 and putting that directly towards saving for a house. Or I might put less of that in savings and finally finance a fancy new digital piano like I've been meaning to since February :)

I saw my first fledgling birds of the year on Friday. A baby sparrow in the afternoon, then a baby blackbird (who I knew was nesting in next door's garden) that sat in the same spot for literally an hour. Must have been its first time out in the big wide world.

When I was out walking on Friday, I saw a couple geese sitting by a back door at my high school. After about an hour they started moving and they were guiding four little baby geese around the grass. Cute :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2020, 05:34:22 AM »
Dennis Rodman & Mike Tyson did s podcast together.   I just found out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2020, 08:43:31 PM »
So I had a wonderful experience yesterday.

I grew up in a small town on the southeastern coast of Massachusetts called Mattapoisett. My parents sold my childhood home after me and my brother were out, in 1994. They moved to Florida while they were still in their 40's. Besides 1994, I have literally drove by the house once, about 10 years ago to show my wife. For some reason, it didn't make much of an impact.

I've been meaning to show my kids the town I grew up in for a couple of years now. On a clear day, you could see the ocean from the house, and I wanted to show them the beach I hung out on on countless afternoons, either with my Walkman or my boombox.

Anyway, yesterday, I decided to take them down there. The house is on a dirt road out in the boonies. As we approached the house, I could see a guy in the driveway. My plan was to park a few houses away, and walk past my old house. But we parked pretty close, and as I walked by the driveway, the guy greeted me. I explained that I grew up in the house, and I was showing my boys the area I grew up.

He said he had been there for like 25 years, and as it turns out, he bought the house from my parents. He even remembered their names. I told him all about the old neighborhood, and he showed me the work he had done in the back yard. The front and back yards looked amazing. He then asked if we wanted to go in and look around. Holy Shit! Are kidding me?? Wow!

I lived in this house from the time I was 3 to 24. I had a mad rush of memories. It was really crazy. He asked if I wanted to see the upstairs bedrooms. I think he wanted to show me some of the things he had done.

So I stood in my childhood bedrooms (There were two kids rooms and my brother and I switched a couple of times). It was simply one of the most amazing experiences of my life. To think of everything I experienced there, as we all did growing up. But for a half hour or so, I experienced a "time machine" and I am so grateful to the guy.

A short walk from the house was the beach. I spent so many days down there, and I was so proud to show my kids. It was an amazing place to grow up and I'm glad I got to share it with them. It was low tide, and it all looked like I was just there. We walked out on to the jetty, and I recognized each rock, having walked them hundreds of times. It was really strange. We picked countless shells, and even found a horseshoe crab skeleton. When I was a kid, you couldn't go down there and not find one.

It was really a day I'll never forget.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2020, 08:51:04 PM »
Tim, absolutely amazing.  I'm glad the boys were there for it.

Where I grew up turned into a very scary area.  When I go back I actually lock the vehicle doors.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »
What was amazing is that there has been a lot of development, but at the same time there's a boonies feel. There were so many young families and kids riding their bikes, just as I did. I drove my old paper route yesterday.

I haven't seen the inside of that house in over 26 years. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2020, 08:56:20 PM »
That story made me happy.

TAC lived at home till he was 24?

My parents still live in the house they bought when I was 3, in 1979. I visit them maybe once a month and while it will always be the house I grew up in, I mainly think of it as my parents house now. I know someday it will be too much house for the two of them, and it will be sad when the sell. It is only about an hour a way but other than them I have no ties to the area and am never there for any other reason.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2020, 04:58:16 AM »
Awesome story Tim.  No such luck for that here... My mother sold the house I grew up in from the time I was 5 'til I moved out 3 years ago.  New owners demo'd it, and built a monstrous house (that sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the houses on the street).

I did have a slightly similar experience.  When the jingle.kids were younger, we went on a road trip to mrs.jingle's family farm - about a 5 hour drive north - to visit some family she hadn't seen in a couple decades. Turns out we literally drove by the road the led to what was my grandparents farm that I spent many Christmas' and summer weeks at.  It was only a 3 minute detour up that side road.  Drove by - no one was home though.  Just stared at it for a few minutes, talking thru some memories.  My grandfather sold the farm when my (step) grandmother passed away in '87.  It was a lot smaller than I remembered.  Although, it's probably a case of me being a lot bigger than when I was 7-15.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2020, 05:33:03 AM »
Tim, that was wonderful. House and memories aside, there's no feeling comparable to re-visiting "your" sea if you've grown up by the coast.

My mother still lives in the house where I grew up, but my bedroom has become the guests room, my brother's has been turned into the grandchildren's toys storage, while my sister's is a sad attempt at a yoga home gym. A recurring joke between my sister and me during the Christmas holidays (the only time we are there together) is: "what time is the check-out?"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2020, 05:35:08 AM »
I’m happy that the racist uppity bitch in that Central Park video got fired. Leash your stupid ugly mutt like you’re supposed to.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2020, 05:47:12 AM »
It was a lot smaller than I remembered. 

Nice Chad, and this is what stood out to me. I did not remember the house being so small, especially the bedrooms. I certainly didn't think it was growing up.