Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 96772 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #665 on: December 17, 2020, 06:22:10 AM »
All this craziness in life with Covid-19 and election (i.e. insanity) season has caused me to stop and think about everything I have now.  No, I'm not talking about material stuff, which I have my fair share of, I'm talking about family.  Something that never really appealed to me.  I always saw my family as a chore.  Going to holiday and birthday gatherings I really didn't want to go to, etc.  But mending my relationship with my 32-year-old son (he's my only) has brought me two instant grandkids who have very, very quickly become the absolute center of my universe.  I never, ever thought I would feel this way about ANY kids.  But now I finally get it.  I understand why parents do the things they do for their kids.  All I think of now is how I can be a supportive, positive, loving force in their lives.  This is what makes me happy these days.  Kylie (3) and Bryce (6 months)

My son and his wife sure do make some great looking kids.  :biggrin:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: December 17, 2020, 06:34:27 AM »
Gorgeous.  :heart
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #667 on: December 17, 2020, 06:36:14 AM »
I never have anything to add to this thread but what made me happy today?  Rain.  A Godsend for me this time of year for work.

Also a couple of Amazon deliveries waiting at home.  :metal

Continuing from this, one of the deliveries was a set of auto toothbrush heads I didn't order or pay for.  Seems like a may be part of a brushing scam by what I'm reading perhaps?  Not sure what to do now.

It’s the decay of the times we’re in.

Four out of five customers surveyed recommend you report them to the Better Business Bureau.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #668 on: December 17, 2020, 07:19:56 AM »
@ Barry... that's awesome dude!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #669 on: December 17, 2020, 10:15:11 AM »
Thanks  :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #670 on: December 17, 2020, 10:19:10 AM »
That's awesome Barry!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: December 17, 2020, 10:26:16 AM »
Well I vacuumed my flat (apartment). I don't understand why but it's so much easier to chill out in a tidy environment.

It's almost as if you can't relax if there is clutter.

Also - if the lighting in your room / lounge is too bright. it's really in-conducive to a relaxing environment.

In my bedroom and lounge I have a small table lamp in one corner of the room with a low energy bulb in.

---

Whenever I go to my Dads for dinner or something - his lounge has all of the brightest bulbs on all at once. You can't relax in there.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #672 on: December 17, 2020, 01:06:09 PM »

Sadly, I'm the only one in my family that feels that way.   :)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: December 17, 2020, 01:23:44 PM »
I'm also that way.  I hate clutter so things are always put away and fairly organized.  However, I'm not good at just general cleaning as a single dude.  So shit gets a bit dustier than it really should, but whenever I do clean, I also feel so much better and also have a more relaxed feeling.  There's definitely a comfort in being in a clean home for me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #674 on: December 17, 2020, 01:31:05 PM »
All this craziness in life with Covid-19 and election (i.e. insanity) season has caused me to stop and think about everything I have now.  No, I'm not talking about material stuff, which I have my fair share of, I'm talking about family.  Something that never really appealed to me.  I always saw my family as a chore.  Going to holiday and birthday gatherings I really didn't want to go to, etc.  But mending my relationship with my 32-year-old son (he's my only) has brought me two instant grandkids who have very, very quickly become the absolute center of my universe.  I never, ever thought I would feel this way about ANY kids.  But now I finally get it.  I understand why parents do the things they do for their kids.  All I think of now is how I can be a supportive, positive, loving force in their lives.  This is what makes me happy these days.  Kylie (3) and Bryce (6 months)

My son and his wife sure do make some great looking kids.  :biggrin:

:heart:  That is the best.

Makes what I came in here to post seem trite and insignificant, but:  listening to some new music.  Can't say what it is, but it is some of the best music I have heard in quite awhile, and that is saying something.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #675 on: December 17, 2020, 01:58:01 PM »
They are absolutely adorable Barry.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: December 17, 2020, 02:19:57 PM »

Makes what I came in here to post seem trite and insignificant, but:  listening to some new music.  Can't say what it is, but it is some of the best music I have heard in quite awhile, and that is saying something.

I'm guessing it's three simple letters, contained within the Wheel of Fortune Big-5 (RSTLNE)?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: December 17, 2020, 02:22:51 PM »

Sadly, I'm the only one in my family that feels that way.   :)

Not a word of a lie but the last time I moved home - everything I owned was moved from one place to the other in one car journey.

My Dad has whole rooms in his big family home for collecting junk. I could never be a hoarder. I just want to hire a skip and

empty all those rooms so he can actually use them...

He lives on a farm with loads of sheds and out buildings and yep - theyre all packed with JUNK.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: December 17, 2020, 02:23:27 PM »

I'm guessing it's three simple letters, contained within the Wheel of Fortune Big-5 (RSTLNE)?

I was thinking something close to that having to do with continents.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #679 on: December 17, 2020, 04:25:54 PM »

Took me a minute to figure that out.  That is a solid guess.  But no.  Haven't heard that yet.  From what I understand, that is written, most likely recorded, but likely not mixed/mastered yet.  So there's no chance I would be hearing it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #680 on: December 17, 2020, 08:13:34 PM »
All this craziness in life with Covid-19 and election (i.e. insanity) season has caused me to stop and think about everything I have now.  No, I'm not talking about material stuff, which I have my fair share of, I'm talking about family.  Something that never really appealed to me.  I always saw my family as a chore.  Going to holiday and birthday gatherings I really didn't want to go to, etc. But mending my relationship with my 32-year-old son (he's my only) has brought me two instant grandkids who have very, very quickly become the absolute center of my universe.  I never, ever thought I would feel this way about ANY kids.  But now I finally get it.  I understand why parents do the things they do for their kids.  All I think of now is how I can be a supportive, positive, loving force in their lives.  This is what makes me happy these days.  Kylie (3) and Bryce (6 months)

This is me.
It's just my wife's family around here. I have a brother in NH and my parents live in Florida. So it's me and my wife's fucking huge family. Seems every weekend there was some birthday or get together. Since I work most weekends I missed them....thankfully.

But there's something about the poandemic that actually makes me kind of miss it. Kind of. ;D

And Barry, the grandkids are nice, but it's great you have this opportunity with your son.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: December 17, 2020, 08:18:49 PM »
Tim, I forget,  where does your brother live in N.H.?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #682 on: December 17, 2020, 08:29:41 PM »
Tim, I forget,  where does your brother live in N.H.?

He lives in Londonderry. He's a year younger than me. Which is what, about 10 years younger than you? :lol

My parents have a cottage on Rock Pond in Windham.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: December 17, 2020, 08:49:09 PM »
I am close with my wife's parents and sister, and sad they live in CO and do not get to see our kids often. I am equally happy the rest of her family live in Hawaii. I would not enjoy a holiday gathering with that group. I barely enjoy seeing them when we go to HI, and I am glad they never come to the "mainland." I was never around a large family growing up, so that might be part of it. My parents shielded my sister and I from the drama in our extended family.

Thinking about Kirk's post, I feel I have let my parents down over the years since I've been an adult. I am happy that I was eventually able to settle down and give them the joy of being grandparents. The joy it gives them is priceless. And I am happy we are only an hour a way. Hearing about close families separated by distance makes me sad (wrong thread).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: December 22, 2020, 08:23:43 AM »
Not today, but yesterday.  A 90-minute chat face-to-screen with my two best homies.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: December 22, 2020, 08:24:41 AM »
 :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: December 29, 2020, 12:06:21 PM »
Took almost exactly 7 months for the IRS to process my federal tax return, but finally received it today. It's a few thousand bucks so not a small amount, good thing I didn't really need that cash, but I'm super happy to finally get it since it's been impossible to try and get someone from the IRS on the phone the last couple times I tried.  That money was supposed to fund my RTX3080 graphics card, but that's been impossible to get so I may just dump most of this into my car and have it just about paid off.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #687 on: December 29, 2020, 02:31:05 PM »
Took almost exactly 7 months for the IRS to process my federal tax return,

Took them about 3 days to process my tax payment!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: December 29, 2020, 04:59:50 PM »
Took almost exactly 7 months for the IRS to process my federal tax return,

Took them about 3 days to process my tax payment!

I really don't understand what happened, I got the state return right back after it being accepted.  But federal, I would check like every week and it said it wasn't even processed yet.  I feel like it sat at someone's desk who didn't return to work for 8 months.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: January 18, 2021, 05:51:29 PM »
Can I just say that all things being equal, Amazon is up there with the moon landing and transistors in terms of innovations.

I have been incorporating my "new" (that is, hot-rodded) iPod into my life.  It has no bluetooth, so I needed a cord for my Bose speaker upstairs and I needed a cord for my stereo that I listen to while at work.   I also needed a connector for my car.  My BMW has a special cradle that integrates it into the car; boom, Amazon, delivered to my door.  I needed one 1/8" stereo jack (male-to-male) with a 90 degree end, boom, Amazon, $6.00 at my door in two days.  Bonus glory:  it was $6.00 for TWO, so I don't have to switch them out.   

I use nitrile gloves when working on the car, and I ran out; went to the auto store, sold out (COVID). Went to the OTHER auto store, sold out.  Third one, sold out.  Amazon?   Boom, my choice of sizes, delivered in three days.  I don't even know how it's possible in some cases. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: January 19, 2021, 06:55:30 AM »
Living in a fairly small/rural town, Amazon is my primary shopping source.  Thankfully, not SO rural that I can't get Prime Next Day delivery.  Amazon has saved hours of my time in the last year alone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: January 19, 2021, 07:57:45 AM »
I was an amazon prime hold out for awhile for fear that I'd be spending money on things I didn't need.  Turns out not to be the case, but the service is mostly fantastic (some shipping issues the last few months, which is understandable).  Really can't complain, it's super useful and worth the yearly fee.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: January 19, 2021, 03:18:20 PM »
I got a letter from my local council saying that they have re-calculated my council tax for 2020 and that not only do I no longer owe £150 but they actually owe ME £10 !!

So that's nice. It means that I no longer have to pay £20 a week council tax for my flat (apartment) Until April 1st. Saving a lot of £ :)

Also my welfare for this month ( it helps with rent as my job is seasonal and it's only from march to November each year ) - is a lot more than I was expecting too :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #693 on: January 19, 2021, 07:41:53 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: January 19, 2021, 08:31:09 PM »
 :metal  I was waiting for this post!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #695 on: January 19, 2021, 08:31:52 PM »
 :lol

Me too!! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: January 19, 2021, 08:41:52 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: January 19, 2021, 09:13:37 PM »
Can I just say that all things being equal, Amazon is up there with the moon landing and transistors in terms of innovations.

But because of them there is income inequality!  :D
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: January 20, 2021, 06:14:29 AM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #699 on: January 20, 2021, 10:10:55 AM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung