Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 95336 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #630 on: November 19, 2020, 06:43:58 PM »
It's not like you, Chad and I pour cristal on our bitches.  :lol

What does that even mean?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #631 on: November 19, 2020, 06:55:19 PM »

I feel like it's going to be something we can't unhear. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #632 on: November 19, 2020, 06:57:52 PM »
Can I jump in here and say that my really good annual review and nice healthy raise I got at work yesterday made me happy?  :coolio :coolio

And it also made me very appreciative as well, as I know it has been a really rough year for a lot of people who have lost their jobs. I am one of the lucky ones and I damn well know it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #633 on: November 19, 2020, 07:08:07 PM »

This is the Timiest thing you've ever said.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: November 19, 2020, 07:26:35 PM »
I have so much PTO this year that is use or lose, I kicked ass at work for four days this week, now I'm off for the next 15 days.  Staycation for me, but I'm happy to disconnect for a bit from work and do some things around the house. I've got some plans I may try out with redoing my office, got my new standing desk from amazon (2/3 paid for by work).

Offline H2

« Reply #635 on: November 19, 2020, 09:40:49 PM »
I just got a major invitation to contract with a university to develop digital courses in my discipline! A big surprise and I'm so thrilled. This, coming just a week after learning I got a software engineering internship. And meeting a girl with whom I've got some nice chemistry. Life--to put it in the words of Bill and Ted--is not bad.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: November 20, 2020, 08:41:18 AM »
I have so much PTO this year that is use or lose, I kicked ass at work for four days this week, now I'm off for the next 15 days.  Staycation for me, but I'm happy to disconnect for a bit from work and do some things around the house. I've got some plans I may try out with redoing my office, got my new standing desk from amazon (2/3 paid for by work).

You and me, bud.  I have off until the following Monday, and other than being outside, I may not leave my property once.   Well, I know I will once, to buy liquor.   :)   Honestly, knowing I can't do the things I want to - bars, concerts - I have no desire to leave the house.  I have plenty to do here.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #637 on: November 20, 2020, 09:14:15 AM »

And how does one pour crystal ("cristal"?)?  Liquid crystal?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: November 20, 2020, 09:19:34 AM »
Clearly not a group of champagne drinkers....      ;D ;D ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #639 on: November 20, 2020, 10:11:22 AM »

Crystal blue persuasion...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: November 20, 2020, 10:12:34 AM »

It's like you've never seen a rap video before.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #641 on: November 20, 2020, 10:18:04 AM »
TAC said something key: AT LEAST max out your company matching; that is free money.  There's no vacation, car, or clothes that is worth more than "free money".     After that it's personal preference/priorities.
It's not just free money, it's part of your overall compensation package. Turning it down is the same as voluntarily handing part of your salary back to the company. The only thing that should come before getting your company match in your 401k is paying off pay-day loans, which can run 100%+ interest. Your future self will thank you profusely for getting that company match, investing in an index fund or target retirement fund, and never touching it until retirement.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: November 20, 2020, 10:25:49 AM »
Too many people take loans off their retirement which is the worst move you can make. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #643 on: November 20, 2020, 10:35:48 AM »
Too many people take loans off their retirement which is the worst move you can make. 
A loan is better than just pulling it out and paying the penalty and taxes, but yeah... don't touch your retirement investments. Just leave them alone and let them simmer on low for 40 years. You'll be sitting really pretty by that point even if you're in mediocre investments.

Offline H2

« Reply #644 on: November 20, 2020, 10:44:57 AM »
How many people completely max out their retirement savings? I know about the 15% rule (15% of your gross goes to retirement), and I assume that most people aren't even doing that. But does anyone make it a goal to cap out investing in a Roth IRA and 401k every single year?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: November 20, 2020, 10:46:18 AM »
I have a checking account.  :|
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: November 20, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »
A loan is better than just pulling it out and paying the penalty and taxes, but yeah... don't touch your retirement investments. Just leave them alone and let them simmer on low for 40 years. You'll be sitting really pretty by that point even if you're in mediocre investments.

Either way it's not a smart move.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: November 20, 2020, 11:05:08 AM »

Haha

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #648 on: November 20, 2020, 11:44:14 AM »
How many people completely max out their retirement savings? I know about the 15% rule (15% of your gross goes to retirement), and I assume that most people aren't even doing that. But does anyone make it a goal to cap out investing in a Roth IRA and 401k every single year?
I max out my and my wife's Roth IRA every year ($6000 each) and put another $12k or so in my 401k. That's about all I can afford. I'll get to maxing out my 401k  as well eventually, but it will be a few years.

You are correct that most people don't do the 15%. Something like 40% don't even get the full employer match. And somewhere around half of people aren't saving a single penny for retirement.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #649 on: November 20, 2020, 11:46:01 AM »

Very much like that.   :metal
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: November 20, 2020, 11:49:05 AM »
 :lol

I think you have a very good imagination pg.  LOL

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: November 20, 2020, 12:51:00 PM »
A friend of the family just stopped by the shop and dropped us off a bunch of alcohol as a gift. I think my brother got some whiskey, my dad got a handle of Tito's, there's a case of Bud Light Platinum for my parents, a case of Yuengling (fuck yes!!), and I got a bottle of this! His family is like family to us, and that was so awesome of him.

EDIT: AND my new coffee table and rug arrived just in time, now assembled and laid out. Literally everything has gone perfectly this week. That simply doesn't happen. Should I be scared? :lol
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:18:16 PM by The Walrus »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: November 20, 2020, 02:39:52 PM »
STOP JINXING YOURSELF! :lol

Offline H2

« Reply #653 on: November 20, 2020, 03:22:01 PM »
You are correct that most people don't do the 15%. Something like 40% don't even get the full employer match. And somewhere around half of people aren't saving a single penny for retirement.
Now why is that? Is there research done on why those numbers are the way they are? Is it a lack of responsible personal finance habits mostly?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #654 on: November 20, 2020, 04:24:16 PM »
A friend of the family just stopped by the shop and dropped us off a bunch of alcohol as a gift. I think my brother got some whiskey, my dad got a handle of Tito's, there's a case of Bud Light Platinum for my parents, a case of Yuengling (fuck yes!!), and I got a bottle of this! His family is like family to us, and that was so awesome of him.

EDIT: AND my new coffee table and rug arrived just in time, now assembled and laid out. Literally everything has gone perfectly this week. That simply doesn't happen. Should I be scared? :lol

That’s a helluva nice gift, Mike. Pretty sure I’ve had that brand before. Not a terribly flattering first comment on that link tho!!   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: November 20, 2020, 04:39:07 PM »

That’s a helluva nice gift, Mike. Pretty sure I’ve had that brand before. Not a terribly flattering first comment on that link tho!!   :lol

Well free booze is free booze, but  :lol at that comment

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #656 on: November 20, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
Now why is that? Is there research done on why those numbers are the way they are? Is it a lack of responsible personal finance habits mostly?
Well, the poorest 25% of people are going to have a difficult time finding anything extra to invest. But I suspect for most people its just poor financial habits. YOLO and all that.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #657 on: November 20, 2020, 06:43:15 PM »
I got a blue Miami Heat vice shirt on sale, a special Dodgers WS book (gift), and a jewel case to hold the CD's for the new DT live album.  I gotta say it was a good day!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: November 20, 2020, 09:19:47 PM »
Posted in The Investment Thread! to continue this discussion; seems like a good one and don't want to derail the happy in this one.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #659 on: December 16, 2020, 07:27:38 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: December 16, 2020, 07:44:01 PM »
I never have anything to add to this thread but what made me happy today?  Rain.  A Godsend for me this time of year for work.

Also a couple of Amazon deliveries waiting at home.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: December 17, 2020, 05:35:35 AM »
I never have anything to add to this thread but what made me happy today?  Rain.  A Godsend for me this time of year for work.

Phaw! Another tall tale from, Kade. It never rains in NSW!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: December 17, 2020, 05:43:09 AM »

Phaw! Another tall tale from, Kade. It never rains in NSW!

I'm in QLD.    :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: December 17, 2020, 05:44:40 AM »

Continuing from this, one of the deliveries was a set of auto toothbrush heads I didn't order or pay for.  Seems like a may be part of a brushing scam by what I'm reading perhaps?  Not sure what to do now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #664 on: December 17, 2020, 05:55:49 AM »

Continuing from this, one of the deliveries was a set of auto toothbrush heads I didn't order or pay for.  Seems like a may be part of a brushing scam by what I'm reading perhaps?  Not sure what to do now.

It’s the decay of the times we’re in.