Author Topic: What made you happy today?  (Read 95374 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: What made you happy today?
« Reply #1330 on: August 25, 2022, 03:33:26 PM »
Filed for a marriage license. Feels nice.

I'm sorry.

Why?

Why not?

I asked a girl to marry me. She said yes. I love her very much. We filed for a license. Sounds like a good reason to be happy. So I see no reason to be sorry.

And she kicks ass.

That's great.  Best wishes Adami.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1331 on: August 25, 2022, 03:35:45 PM »
Much appreciated my good man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: August 29, 2022, 01:21:17 PM »
Five Guys? Best Burger? :|

I love their burgers. Not a fan? Honestly when I went to Texas I had Whataburger and it was better, but living in NY, Five Guys is my go to fast food burger.

I'll admit that I haven't had Five Guys in 5-6 years, but last I remember there was nothing special about them. A bit better than Shake Shack, sure, but that's about it.

I prefer BareBurger or SmashBurger.

Had five guys for lunch.  Cheeseburger, small fries, and drink came out to $20.  A bit too expensive for a burger and fries lunch, but it was very delicious.  Made sure to take home a container of peanuts too, since I did pay so much, make sure I'm not leaving empty handed.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1333 on: August 31, 2022, 09:38:46 AM »
Listening to Simon Phillips play drums.  His playing is so effortless, tasty and musical.  I've been a fan of his since I started playing drums as a kid in the 80s, and my Dad was as well, so listening to his playing helps me feel a little closer to my Dad.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1334 on: August 31, 2022, 09:55:29 AM »
Speaking of burgers...

After we moved our kid into college in New Hampshire last week, we drove back to Boston to fly home.  I randomly checked and found that there are still two Fuddruckers locations in the Boston area, so the wife and I did a slight detour and had Fudds for lunch last Friday.  First time since they closed the southern California locations a couple years ago.  So damn good.

Also, Five Guys > Shake Shack >>>>>>>>>> In 'n' Out.  As I tell my friend at work, I'd rather pay $16-18 for a Five Guys burger, fries and a drink than $10 for InO.  I have yet to experience Whataburger.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1335 on: August 31, 2022, 09:58:56 AM »
Today is my Friday and then the 5 day weekend ensues!  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1336 on: September 02, 2022, 11:42:53 AM »
A little TMI on this one, so read at your own risk.

[TMI BEGINS IMMEDIATELY AFTER CLOSING BRACKET]

Y'all, I had the mother of all constipation. I was more backed up than the DMV at lunchtime. Stomach had trapped gas and felt like I had a knife in it. I took some probiotics, stool softener, and ex-lax, and things have finally started to move in the right direction. Holy crap I feel so much better. If you've stayed with me this far, thanks for reading! It's easy to take "not being in pain" for granted.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1337 on: September 02, 2022, 04:03:22 PM »
A little TMI on this one, so read at your own risk.

[TMI BEGINS IMMEDIATELY AFTER CLOSING BRACKET]

Y'all, I had the mother of all constipation. I was more backed up than the DMV at lunchtime. Stomach had trapped gas and felt like I had a knife in it. I took some probiotics, stool softener, and ex-lax, and things have finally started to move in the right direction. Holy crap I feel so much better. If you've stayed with me this far, thanks for reading! It's easy to take "not being in pain" for granted.

Not sure how to respond but I'm glad everything came out ok.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1338 on: September 02, 2022, 04:06:25 PM »
Yup. As I read that, the further I got, it seemed to flow much better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1339 on: September 02, 2022, 04:48:45 PM »
Glad things are smoothing out on the back end.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1340 on: September 06, 2022, 11:31:17 AM »
From last week....

I've posted that we moved my kid from California to New Hampshire.  I've also posted that she plays flute and received just about every accolade one can receive for that in her high school marching and concert bands.  However, COVID and a change of band directors during the COVID year really impacted her devotion to music.

She's a history major and is taking a music through history class (or something like that).  She talked about waiting to see how the first semester went and then maybe trying out for the college concert band.  Well...only two days into her first week of classes, she decided to contact the band director and inquire about auditioning.

First of all, this is a big deal for her.  Blindly reaching out to someone she doesn't know hasn't always been her strong suit, but she put together an email (and ran it by me and I didn't suggest any changes) and sent it off.  The "problem" with this (and I didn't know this until we got to New Hampshire) is that she didn't bring her flute or piccolo.

Anyway, the band director responded and sent her some music to look over and said she could use one of the school's flutes as a loaner.  She then sight-read the music, which apparently prompted the director to ask, incredulously, "did you just sight-read that?!"  Yeah she did...on a loan student flute!

As a result, she added the concert band to her class schedule and was offered a co-first chair position!

The only downside is that I now have to pay to ship her instruments to her.  LOL!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1341 on: September 06, 2022, 12:24:43 PM »
That's great news though!  Did come out to NH to bring here?  That's a hell of a trip from California.  I live 20 minutes west of Manchester, NH.  It's weird.  We can hit every NE state in most cases and hour for 4 and 2 hours for Conn and RI.   What is it, 8 hours from the top of CA to the bottom?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1342 on: September 06, 2022, 12:42:58 PM »
That's great news though!  Did come out to NH to bring here?  That's a hell of a trip from California.  I live 20 minutes west of Manchester, NH.  It's weird.  We can hit every NE state in most cases and hour for 4 and 2 hours for Conn and RI.   What is it, 8 hours from the top of CA to the bottom?
I found that odd when I lived in NH as well. The states are so darn small out east. I worked with people that commuted from two states away. I drove for 19 hours this summer and was only went two states from Minnesota, through North Dakota and to Montana.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1343 on: September 06, 2022, 12:58:49 PM »
That's pretty cool PG, I hope it goes well for her.

I found that odd when I lived in NH as well. The states are so darn small out east. I worked with people that commuted from two states away. I drove for 19 hours this summer and was only went two states from Minnesota, through North Dakota and to Montana.

Montana alone is bigger than the entire NE., Even if you add NY and NJ Montana is still bigger, yet it has almost the same population as Rhode Island

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: September 06, 2022, 01:11:00 PM »
Yeah, I hit NH, Mass, Conn, NY Penn in a 7 hour trip to Nick's wedding.  Crazy that someone can drive 7 hours and still be in state.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1345 on: September 06, 2022, 01:18:45 PM »
It's not just the number of states, though.  I grew up about two hours from NYC, by train, and two hours by car from Boston.  We rarely went.   My friend Vince moves here from St. Louis and was like "let's go! It's only two hours!"  He was so used to drives upwards of four hours to get to the city, that it was nothing for him.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: September 06, 2022, 01:19:51 PM »
It's not just the number of states, though.  I grew up about two hours from NYC, by train, and two hours by car from Boston.  We rarely went.   My friend Vince moves here from St. Louis and was like "let's go! It's only two hours!"  He was so used to drives upwards of four hours to get to the city, that it was nothing for him.

Oh, I get that.  It just seems weird to drive in those large states.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1347 on: September 06, 2022, 01:34:54 PM »
From last week....

I've posted that we moved my kid from California to New Hampshire.  I've also posted that she plays flute and received just about every accolade one can receive for that in her high school marching and concert bands.  However, COVID and a change of band directors during the COVID year really impacted her devotion to music.

She's a history major and is taking a music through history class (or something like that).  She talked about waiting to see how the first semester went and then maybe trying out for the college concert band.  Well...only two days into her first week of classes, she decided to contact the band director and inquire about auditioning.

First of all, this is a big deal for her.  Blindly reaching out to someone she doesn't know hasn't always been her strong suit, but she put together an email (and ran it by me and I didn't suggest any changes) and sent it off.  The "problem" with this (and I didn't know this until we got to New Hampshire) is that she didn't bring her flute or piccolo.

Anyway, the band director responded and sent her some music to look over and said she could use one of the school's flutes as a loaner.  She then sight-read the music, which apparently prompted the director to ask, incredulously, "did you just sight-read that?!"  Yeah she did...on a loan student flute!

As a result, she added the concert band to her class schedule and was offered a co-first chair position!

The only downside is that I now have to pay to ship her instruments to her.  LOL!

That's very heartwarming and I'm sure you are proud as you should be. I would pay to ship her instruments in a heartbeat.  :)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1348 on: September 06, 2022, 02:02:16 PM »
That's pretty cool PG, I hope it goes well for her.

Montana alone is bigger than the entire NE., Even if you add NY and NJ Montana is still bigger, yet it has almost the same population as Rhode Island
Yeah, Montana is huge. And really quite boring to drive through apart from a few highlights. Although I suppose that can be said about any state.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1349 on: September 07, 2022, 10:15:13 AM »

The wife and daughter flew a red eye Sunday night and arrived in Boston Monday morning.  They drove to my wife's aunt's house in western Mass, where we had some stuff shipped.  They visited for a bit and went out for lunch and then drove up to Keene.  I did the same flight itinerary (sans the family visit) the next day, so we were all in Keene by noon on Tuesday.  Between the three of us and shipping stuff to the aunt, it was pretty easy to get everything there (except for the instruments....).  Move-in day was Wednesday, almost immediately after which the wife got a migraine and was mostly down for the count until we drove back to Boston on Friday.  We flew home on Saturday.

The kid and I made a Target run, and she noticed the sign on the highway indicating that Brattleboro, VT was about 19 miles away.  She asked, "is Vermont really that close?!"  I kinda laughed.  Where we live, you have to drive nearly four hours to get to the closest state border, and you can get to the Mexican border in less time.  I told her that, from where she is, you can drive to any of the other New England states in two hours or less.  Apparently intent to prove me right, she has already made friends with someone with a car, and they drove to Gardner, Mass to go to Friendly's and to Brattleboro to go thrifting.

Yeah, I hit NH, Mass, Conn, NY Penn in a 7 hour trip to Nick's wedding.  Crazy that someone can drive 7 hours and still be in state.

My daughter's best friend is going to Humboldt State, which is about 100 miles south of the CA/OR border.  Her drive up the coast was just under 700 miles and took about 12 hours.  Crossing Texas on the 10 is probably the worst.  It's far longer than driving up the CA coast or driving across Montana, and it's not even remotely scenic.  Of course, you could always do Homer, AK to Prudhoe Bay, which is nearly 1,000 miles and entirely within Alaska.

That's very heartwarming and I'm sure you are proud as you should be. I would pay to ship her instruments in a heartbeat.  :)

I shipped them yesterday.  The wife packed the instruments using clothes as padding.  The box was slightly smaller than a banker's box and weighed 16#.  My options were $47 with delivery next Tuesday or $108 with delivery by this Friday (and a few even more expensive options).  I went with the $47 option and added $1,500 insurance at a cost of $17.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: September 23, 2022, 10:02:24 AM »
Probably could have posted in the angry thread every day this week for how rough this business trip has been, but I'm happy today and right now because not only did I get most issues resolved (there's still a few pending for Monday) I was able to actually get out of work after only a 9 hour day (compared to the 14+ the last 3 days) and am back at my hotel about to head out to a concert in Amsterdam. Looking forward to a rewarding experience after a grueling week.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: September 25, 2022, 07:44:12 AM »
I'm glad you didn't have to pull a 14+ hour day. Is this your final work trip of the year? It seems like you've been traveling a lot recently.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: September 25, 2022, 09:54:03 AM »
I have two weeks in LA in December planned.  That should be it, but there's a possibility someone has to come back out here before the end of the year, but right now it's not looking like that person is me.  And yeah, been super busy lately and this trip should of never been needed, such is life.  Off to Frankfurt on Tuesday.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: September 29, 2022, 05:06:06 PM »
https://www.wbko.com/2022/09/29/local-shoe-store-gives-back-community-just-one-step-time/

This is my son.

Fucking sensational mate.  You should be proud.  To have the generosity to give away 50 pairs of shoes and not only on one occasion for the sake of helping others is incredible.  Damn people are nice, I need to learn a thing or two.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1355 on: September 29, 2022, 05:21:22 PM »
That's awesome Gregg!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: September 30, 2022, 05:32:29 AM »
Thanks, Kade and Tim. Yes, I'm very happy for him and his family. They are in a really good place and position now...it hasn't always been that way. Mostly, I'm relieved.  Three down, two to go.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: September 30, 2022, 05:48:36 AM »
Thanks, Kade and Tim. Yes, I'm very happy for him and his family. They are in a really good place and position now...it hasn't always been that way. Mostly, I'm relieved.  Three down, two to go.  :lol

5 kids!  You machine Gregg!

Thanks for sharing though.  I enjoyed the news story and just the genuine satisfaction he has for his work.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: September 30, 2022, 05:52:43 AM »
He's also at ease and well spoken in front of a camera. I know him very well and his true personality was on display. I think that's pretty impressive. I couldn't do it--at least not without putting up a false front.

Two biological, three adopted.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: September 30, 2022, 05:56:54 AM »
He's also at ease and well spoken in front of a camera. I know him very well and his true personality was on display. I think that's pretty impressive. I couldn't do it--at least not without putting up a false front.

Two biological, three adopted.

Outstanding!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1361 on: November 07, 2022, 04:20:14 PM »
Thinking about only 24 hours more of political ads for awhile!   :tup
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1362 on: November 07, 2022, 05:04:57 PM »
Thinking about only 24 hours more of political ads for awhile!   :tup

Thank the maker!  Watching live TV has been awfully difficult lately.  The other weird thing is that I'm getting YouTube ads for the senate race in GEORGIA, and I'm in CA and work for a TX based company, so I can't figure out that shit.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1363 on: November 08, 2022, 01:50:56 AM »
Fever broke today, after like four days.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1364 on: November 08, 2022, 04:36:24 AM »
Fever broke today, after like four days.

Good news, Tim
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion