Author Topic: Outcry is the most underrated DT song.  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
Outcry is the most underrated DT song.
« on: September 19, 2019, 08:52:04 PM »
what a great chorus it has, and the instrumental section is even interesting!

Offline NoFred

Re: Outcry is the most underrated DT song.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 10:50:06 PM »
I like Outcry, but Pull Me Under is the most underrated by far. People overreact to how often it’s played. Doesn’t change how fantastic it is.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 12:36:09 AM »
Just gonna say I feel like ADToE as a whole is underrated. I know it’s regarded well but I place it behind only I&W, Awake, and Met2. It’s just gotten better with age.

Everyone knows “Breaking All Illusions” is classic, but “Outcry” and “Lost Not Forgotten” are prime cuts. “Bridges in the Sky” has one of their best instrumental breakdowns. The album contains some of Petrucci and Ruddess’ tastiest playing. “Far From Heaven” and “Beneath the Surface” are arguably the best ballads DT have written since “Wait for Sleep”.

“This is the Life” is basically a better version of “Out of Reach”.

Hell, even On the Backs of Angels is tolerable compared to a lot of their other “single/radio” tunes. Build Me Up is the only real clunker.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 02:53:09 AM »
It's my favourite DT album to date for all these reasons (and I don't even hate BMUBMD).
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 03:19:19 AM »
Too bad the production is so flat and lifeless. I think this is one of the best DT albums.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 03:35:54 AM »
Agreed, it's easily their best album since TOT for me. Shame they have almost gone in a different direction since this album with a focus on shorter songs etc.

However, the production does really hurt this album (even more so with the self titled afterwards) and sucks and power out of the riffs. Imagine Bridges in the Sky with the production of Distance over Time...  :metal

It's 6th place for me, only because the other 5 are so great.
1. Scenes/Images/Awake (depending on my mood);
4. Six Degrees
5. Train of Thought;
6. ADTOE

Online Mladen

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 06:38:52 AM »
It took me months to fully grasp Outcry, it was actually my least favorite song on the album initially. But once I started digesting it, I honestly loved every second of it and I still do. It's pretty much flawless.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 07:04:09 AM »
I don't think it's underrated, I think its rated appropriately. I like the song a lot, but I wouldn't put it on my top 20.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 07:46:17 AM »
I wouldn't say it's the most underrated DT song, but it definitely doesn't get as much praise as it should. Great song, and the instrumental section is WILD!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 08:09:41 AM »
It was easily my favorite song from the album during that release and tour cycle, and found its way into my top 10.  I think Bridges may have overtaken it now.  But still a fantastic song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 08:35:31 AM »
Outcry is certainly one of the more underrated songs in DT's discography. Whether it's *the* most underrated, I'm not sure. Several songs from The Astonishing have redefined the very concept of "underrated" when it comes to DT.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 09:34:34 AM »

However, the production does really hurt this album (even more so with the self titled afterwards) and sucks and power out of the riffs. Imagine Bridges in the Sky with the production of Distance over Time...  :metal

You mean crank up the bass, compress the hell out of it, and drench some effects over LaBrie’s vocals? No thanks lol

ADoTE has its own flaws but I’ll take it over D/T any day of the week.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 10:31:57 AM »
I don't think it's underrated, I think its rated appropriately. I like the song a lot

This.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 11:03:36 AM »
Man, I really love this whole album!  Yes even BMUBM. And On the Backs of Angels is at the top as well.  I guess I am not as musically refined, because the productions issues people talk about are lost on me. I have no professional or extensive music training, just years of piano training as a girl, so I don't notice anything but...do I like it?? This is my favorite album by DT and Outcry is #3 or 4 after BAI and  Bridges. I don't skip any songs on this album.   :metal

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »
I agree with others that ADToE is a really fantastic album.  This was the album that got me into DT in the first place and it ranks within my top 5 albums.  However, Outcry is my least favorite on the album.

When I first bought the album I really liked it and didn't like some of the other songs as much, but that has since flipped.  I think I would have liked it more if the intro was not also the chorus.  But maybe there's more to it than that.  It just doesn't float my boat.

Having said that, I do see it's appeal, it has a really crazy instrumental section (my favorite part of the song) and it has a very strong and catchy chorus.  But when it's all together, the sum is less than its parts for me.

It may be underrated for some, but not for me I'm afraid.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 11:29:21 AM »
Without giving it too much thought, I'd probably rank the songs on ADTOE thusly:

Breaking All Illusions
Outcry
Bridges in the Sky
On the Backs of Angels
Beneath the Surface
Lost Not Forgotten
BMUBMD
TITL/FFH
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 12:07:06 PM »
Man, I really love this whole album!  Yes even BMUBM.

I'm not sure why that even needs to be qualified with an "even."  It's a fantastic song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 03:22:02 PM »
Outcry was the first one off that album that I absolutely loved.

Now I find the middle section a bit too noodly (really, only a minuscule bit).

Currently I would honestly have to say This Is the Life is my absolute favorite from an album of pretty much perfect songs.

I love Bridges, too. I think that may be *the* best opening number.

Breaking All Illusions deserves all the accolades it gets.

BMUBMD is completely underrated.

The rest are awesome too.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2019, 07:37:53 PM »
Not to ruin the love fest but I think adtoe is severely overrated.  My least favorite dt album.  Outside of breaking all illusions I basically never revisit it.  Bmubmd is a dud and the worst song on the worst album.  The productions is just awful, I can’t get over it.

On the other hand I gave DoT a break for a while and came back to it.  Spectacular stuff.   I love every song outside of UA and R137.  The production is pure ear candy on this album. I really hope they continue with it.

Ok you can all go back to loving ADTOE ;)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:48:59 PM by lovethedrake »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2019, 10:26:08 PM »
I really don't understand the hate for the production. Maybe not DTs most dynamic sounding album but far from awful.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »
I really don't understand the hate for the production. Maybe not DTs most dynamic sounding album but far from awful.

I love the album but it just doesn't have as much of a "metal" sound as I think it should.  The guitars and drums just don't have as much attack as I normally like to hear.  The best way I can describe it is to picture the album is a cube and the mixer sanded down and softened all the corners.  Anyway, that's my personal take.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 02:22:47 PM »
You may be on to something there.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2019, 03:30:09 PM »

I love the album but it just doesn't have as much of a "metal" sound as I think it should.  The guitars and drums just don't have as much attack as I normally like to hear.  The best way I can describe it is to picture the album is a cube and the mixer sanded down and softened all the corners.  Anyway, that's my personal take.

I totally agree. I just don't see that as a *huge* problem that some do. A problem, nonetheless, just not that big.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2019, 03:41:14 PM »
I don't really like Outcry. The instrumental section just comes off as a little... tryhard? Like it's trying to live up to this expectation of 'big wacky DOE-style instrumental section.' Pale Blue Dot kind of veers into that territory *but* I think it comes off as more organic and impressive than Outcry's instrumental section does. The lyrics and vocal melodies don't help. I wouldn't say it's their most underrated song, though. I'd probably give that to something on Falling Into Infinity. Maybe Anna Lee, or Peruvian Skies.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2019, 03:50:37 PM »
I don't really like Outcry. The instrumental section just comes off as a little... tryhard? Like it's trying to live up to this expectation of 'big wacky DOE-style instrumental section.' Pale Blue Dot kind of veers into that territory *but* I think it comes off as more organic and impressive than Outcry's instrumental section does. 

You got it backwards again, as usual.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2019, 03:56:56 PM »
I don't really like Outcry. The instrumental section just comes off as a little... tryhard? Like it's trying to live up to this expectation of 'big wacky DOE-style instrumental section.' Pale Blue Dot kind of veers into that territory *but* I think it comes off as more organic and impressive than Outcry's instrumental section does. 

You got it backwards again, as usual.

TAC, you gotta read from left to right.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Volante99

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2019, 06:05:44 PM »

I agree. The drum sound is not great, but that’s been par for the course the last decade.

It’s a much more “natural”, less “processed” sounding album than their latest releases. And to me, that’s a good thing. Much much better sound than D12. But I also dislike the sound of D/T, so take my opinion on the subject with a grain of salt.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »

I totally agree. I just don't see that as a *huge* problem that some do. A problem, nonetheless, just not that big.

I think you're right.  The production is not my favorite, but the album as a whole is awesome and I listen to it frequently.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 09:03:15 AM »

Don't be a jerk. <3

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2019, 11:12:28 AM »

Don't be a jerk. <3
I'm not.  I think I agree with you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2019, 11:26:38 PM »
Outcry was always one of my favorites on the album. Just under BitS and BAI.

Offline H2

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2019, 08:29:43 AM »
Maybe it's bad to come into a controversial opinion thread and voice a non-controversial opinion (or even an anti-controversial opinion), but it's far from my favorite. I kinda see ADTOE as the beginning of "modern DT" which on the whole has felt more stale than BCASL and prior. I just don't like the sound of this song, or of ADTOE as a whole.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2019, 07:51:58 PM »
I really enjoy Outcry as well. I remember many people not liking it or mentioning it much when the album first came out. Than surprised me. Maybe it just took awhile for people to digest it.

I agree with the others who said the production hurt this album.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 11:08:19 PM »
I take Dramatic Turn's sound and production over the terrible snare sound of DT12 any day. Sure, if you compare any Dramatic Turn song to the beginning of The Count Of Tuscany you'll ask yourself if there is even a drummer playing on Dramatic Turn. The drum sound doesn't have much character on this album (although I might be one of the few people who like the sound of the cymbals).

I don't understand how such a big band doesn't manage to get a good drum sound. Distance Over Time was an improvement, but I don't think it's anywhere near to what Mangini wants it to sound. I think the kind of snare drum sound he wants is closer to the one on Falling Into Infinity or Haken's Vector. In fact, can they PLEASE hire Adam Getgood for the next album?  :lol

Oh, Outcry, sorry. Yes, great song, far from being my favourite on the album though. I like every one of the other 10mins+ songs better. But that doesn't mean much. The whole album is great. I understand if the instrumental section might come across a bit "we-have-to-make-a-crazy-instrumental-section"-like. I personally like it though. Still, the lyrics are a little too cringy/manowar-y for my taste.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 01:30:48 AM »
Outcry (along with Build Me Up Break Me Down & Beneath The Surface) are the biggest reason why I can't get through ADTOE without the aid of the skip button.

Sorry to be the bearer of negativity in what's supposed to be a positive thread, but I really have no idea what they were going for. Structurally it's a complete mess. There are so many different types of verses & none of them are placed in a way that feels natural or rewarding. The chorus is okay, but they only play it twice throughout the whole song. That'd be fine if the rest of the song wasn't clearly hinging off its strength. The way the third(?) verse just transitions into the instrumental section is awkward as hell, & makes the entire instrumental section feel more like a distraction rather than the tension it's supposed to be for the final chorus's payoff. Again, that would be fine it wasn't such a clearly chorus-based song. It feels like the sections from The Root Of All Evil but placed within the structure of Metropolis. It just doesn't work.

Speaking of the instrumental section, it's probably DT's worst one yet. Say what you will about the instrumental sections from Endless Sacrifice, The Ministry Of Lost Souls, or A Rite Of Passage, but at least during the sections themselves I could understand which instrument was supposed to be soloing at which time, & what emotion they're supposed to bring. With Outcry I have no idea what I'm supposed to be focussing on at any given point. Everything just kind of happens beside one another, & it feels very cluttered without any instrument taking the lead or driving the song forward. It's a total mess. It gives tension not in the "I'm so excited for what's happening next" way, but more like the "I feel uncomfortable & wish to stop listening immediately" way.

So yeah, Outcry is a bottom 20 DT song for me, & would be my least favourite off ADTOE if Beneath The Surface didn't exist. Fight me. :hat
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。